Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

loling at the idea that we hit peak tank with the T-60 - T-70

There's really not much further you can go tbh

Bigger gun comes with packaging and ammo handing problems

More speed is all incremental improvement but to get a big jump you again come up against packaging and logistical issues

Armour can be upgraded

Optics and sensors can be upgraded

What else is there? We hit peak rifle with the m16 about the same time

Slavvy has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Does the industrial capacity to build the vessels for a Normandy scale landing still exist in the US?

I guess you could retrofit shipping containers and start chucking them off cargo ships.

I doubt the American government could even put into place the price controls necessary for such large scale production. Seriously, could you imagine corporate cronies in the Senate capping the price of steel?

And that's the easiest part!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Does the industrial capacity to build the vessels for a Normandy scale landing still exist in the US?

I guess you could retrofit shipping containers and start chucking them off cargo ships.

Yes, if you made sacrifices on modern technology to mass produce serviceable hulls with basic equipment, but you'd have to conscript every shipyard in the US and implement massive central planning. Liberal 'free' markets could never meet the demands of an industrial war because markets are terrible at efficient allocation of scarce resources. The main issue is that under no circumstances would the current US government conscript shipyards or implement massive central planning

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

What else is there? We hit peak rifle with the AK about the same time

fixed this for you

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
lol at the idea of the m16 being peak rifle

maybe it is, but lol none the less

edit:

BULBASAUR posted:

fixed this for you

yah, ignoring functionality differences, manufacturing differences makes the AK peak rifle over the ARXX platforms imho

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

how is American doughboy getting to China

On tactical rascals.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

For the Normandy landing the opposition was just starting to experiment with bottle rockets though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is a point to be made that at some point you just have a mature design. You can only add so much more weight to a tank, a power plant can only be so powerful while reliable, and the tank can only be so large. Obviously, there are larger and heavier tanks than the T-72, but they also come with compromises. The big things that have changed have been mostly ERA (which not everyone uses), ammo, and sights, but all of that swapped or added on later.

Drones, long-range missiles, and social media seem to have seem more growth recently as weapon systems.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BULBASAUR posted:

Welcome to the world of ever more expensive boondoggles, wunderwaffes and graft.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kind of hard to make a tank better at something because you can use it differently in different situations, and making it better at one thing will sacrifice some other quality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

lol at the idea of the m16 being peak rifle

maybe it is, but lol none the less

edit:

yah, ignoring functionality differences, manufacturing differences makes the AK peak rifle over the ARXX platforms imho

I think the manufacturing difference is smaller than you'd think especially if you're talking about using a polymer lower for the AR which massively cuts down machining time

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I doubt the American government could even put into place the price controls necessary for such large scale production. Seriously, could you imagine corporate cronies in the Senate capping the price of steel?

And that's the easiest part!

Ff made a good post about this but I refuse to look through 500 pages of mud posts to find it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

how is American doughboy getting to China

https://www.expedia.com/lp/flights/...uBoCqKgQAvD_BwE

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Ardennes posted:

There is a point to be made that at some point you just have a mature design. You can only add so much more weight to a tank, a power plant can only be so powerful while reliable, and the tank can only be so large. Obviously, there are larger and heavier tanks than the T-72, but they also come with compromises. The big things that have changed have been mostly ERA (which not everyone uses), ammo, and sights, but all of that swapped or added on later.

Drones, long-range missiles, and social media seem to have seem more growth recently as weapon systems.

drones and missiles are disposable and there's currently not a way to make a tank that does exactly one mission before disintegrating into useless dust

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

euphronius posted:

the USA would have to conscript probably 1/3rd of the people (not just men) age 18-44 and ship them to Asia

I don’t know how the economy would work

they could recruit from latin america, like the saudis did from sudan
lower wages and lower political cost from casualties

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I think the manufacturing difference is smaller than you'd think especially if you're talking about using a polymer lower for the AR which massively cuts down machining time

AK platform rifles preform far better in arctic/very cold weather conditions as well which isn't unimportant.

redneck nazgul posted:

drones and missiles are disposable and there's currently not a way to make a tank that does exactly one mission before disintegrating into useless dust

Why would that be important? If it has combat utility, it has a purpose. Also, yeah obviously there are drones that can be re-used out there.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Apr 11, 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They could easily improve upon modern tanks by giving them a big wedge on the front to flip over other tanks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/business/status/1645811229246488576

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

They could easily improve upon modern tanks by giving them a big wedge on the front to flip over other tanks

Battlebots is the proving ground for new tank ideas

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

the weaker top armor on a tank SHOULD drive battlefield innovation in the direction of giant hammers for close up tank-on-tank combat :pray:

pic rel:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

agreed, everybody knows that we hit peak tank with the t-34/85

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

congratulations to ukrainian oligarchs upgrading to billionaires

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ok the thread title got me to click lol

It's been awhile since I've paid attention to what's happening. Having read a few pages it looks like Russia is going to win this in the end, assuming the U.S. doesn't flip the table in a fit of nuclear rage. My impression early in the war was that innocent Ukrainians are hosed regardless of who wins, especially non-white Ukrainians because both Russia and the neo Nazis of Ukraine are trying to kill them, and no country in the West wants non-white refugees. Is that even halfway right?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger posted:

It's been awhile since I've paid attention to what's happening. Having read a few pages it looks like Russia is going to win this in the end, assuming the U.S. doesn't flip the table in a fit of nuclear rage. My impression early in the war was that innocent Ukrainians are hosed regardless of who wins, especially non-white Ukrainians because both Russia and the neo Nazis of Ukraine are trying to kill them, and no country in the West wants non-white refugees. Is that even halfway right?

idk

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Non-white for the Ukrainians means anyone who isn't a catholic fascist

I don't think the Russian invasion has any strong feelings about non-whiteness one way or another

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Non-white for the Ukrainians means anyone who isn't a catholic fascist

I don't think the Russian invasion has any strong feelings about non-whiteness one way or another

Russian invaders? Russian forces are generally multi-ethnic, so I don't think it is an issue in the same way. Also, the Russians are not following the same proscribed ideology as a lot of Ukrainian forces are.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Apr 11, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Non-white Ukrainians are mostly fodder for social media because of how unusual it is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Russian invaders?

Are seriously throwing stones out of your glass palace

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin
Russia treats ethnic minorities in largely the same way America does, the countries are nearly identical in most ways outside of economic resources. They're large neoliberal states with nukes and global political interests. Minorities will likely experience socioeconomic disparities but not violent extermination.

Ukraine is a white nationalist/fascist state that has been engaged in ethnic cleansing (and extermination of political dissidents) for years and has been hugely ramping up efforts after the invasion began and will likely continue to do so to extreme measures.

e: worth noting that the concept of " whiteness" is not necessarily the primary factor in what makes someone an ethnic minority in that part of the world, as it is in America and much of the west

Mike Fallopian has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Apr 11, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Are seriously throwing stones out of your glass palace

oh come on lighten up

Mike Fallopian posted:

Russia treats ethnic minorities in largely the same way America does, the countries are nearly identical in most ways outside of economic resources. They're large neoliberal states with nukes and global political interests. Minorities will likely experience socioeconomic disparities but not violent extermination.

I would say probably disparities are going to more geographical to a degree in Russia than the US. There are some similarities but some of it is just that economic development doesn't follow racial lines in Russia the same way as the US. Not that racism doesn't exist, but it never was formalized with Jim Crow/redlining/reservations etc in the same way.

Ukraine is weird state. You obviously have far-right/neo-nazi elements infiltrating much of its armed forces and government, but I don't know if that actually fully extends to society. Nevertheless, hatred seems to be forced from a very clear from the top. I would say the foreigners who have joined up probably have had mostly a negative influence in that regard.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Apr 11, 2023

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mike Fallopian posted:

Ukraine is a white nationalist/fascist state that has been engaged in ethnic cleansing (and extermination of political dissidents) for years and has been hugely ramping up efforts after the invasion began and will likely continue to do so to extreme measures.

nuh uh

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin

ya huh

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
drat......

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

how much evidence is there that the tens of thousands of troops being trained for the big counteroffensive even exist?

also, here’s an interesting map, if real:

https://twitter.com/war_mapper/status/1645108874117017603?s=46&t=uX8jBjukhUvHpmUHGvhmEw

Clearly they’re expecting the attack to be aimed at melitopol. that leaves the eastern end of the southern corridor more vulnerable however.

isn't building up layers of fortifications what a country is supposed to do if they want to turn the tables on a potential advance? the attacker is allowed to bog down in trying to punch through progressively sturdier defensive works while the defender, with shorter logistical distances, can either delay and slip away or delay and call in greater reinforcements.

were the Russians not supposed to dig and entrench?

My prediction is that the Russians are going to move the line forward eventually. They can't stop now, not unless they want to deal with daily shelling as in the before the war period.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bedpan posted:

isn't building up layers of fortifications what a country is supposed to do if they want to turn the tables on a potential advance? the attacker is allowed to bog down in trying to punch through progressively sturdier defensive works while the defender, with shorter logistical distances, can either delay and slip away or delay and call in greater reinforcements.

were the Russians not supposed to dig and entrench?

They are suppose to always be on the advance and not stopping because...of...reasons

Anyway, the Germans during the First World War largely have a more developed trench network because they had already taken significant territory and could afford to be more defensive. The problem came later when they simply did not have the reserves needed to accomplish another major advance.

In the case of Ukraine, the Russians for the most part can sit behind their fortifications because they have a massive advantage in artillery, and instead can slowly attack a couple critical weakness in Ukraines defenses due to the fact the Ukrainians really can't do anything in response. The Ukrainians can't even really accomplished a "back-handed" counter-attack because the Russians have both an advantage in men and munitions while their flanks are secure.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Apr 11, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1645891646234435584

so what planes have now to go around the whole of russia to get to east asia?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Honest Thief posted:

this is 100% because euro airlines are getting obliterated because they have to fly around lmao

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

the new push will be endless :qq: over everyone's airlines not voluntarily shooting themselves in the foot for no reason not upholding the rules based international order and democracy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so does everyone have to change at a hub like dubai or istanbul now or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

so does everyone have to change at a hub like dubai or istanbul now or what

that, or the flights just take 4-6 hours longer, op