Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

Imagine being so dumb to assume that you can keep massive arms production for an opponent a secret from the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dein Specht posted:

Imagine being so dumb to assume that you can keep massive arms production for an opponent a secret from the US

Its like Charlie Wilson's war all over again!

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/Havoc_Six/status/1645807758485118976

https://twitter.com/Havoc_Six/status/1645808396937863168

https://twitter.com/Havoc_Six/status/1645808930788896768

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Somewhere, Grover pops a woody and is confused as to why.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

bird food bathtub posted:

Somewhere, Grover pops a woody and is confused as to why.
Probably the most stable erection he ever put up (meager though it must be).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dein Specht posted:

A US that has spent the last year combing the globe for anyone with stockpiles of or the ability to produce munitions for a mostly soviet equipped army.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Laser weapons are so loving cool

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe by the end of the decade, they'll be futzing with more sonic oscillation stuff, then the Disruptor will become a reality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeErrKaD1Sc&t=344s

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Very cool, but presumably everyone they are protecting are running drones of their own, how do you handle iff and deconfliction and stuff?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, it's quite simple, really. Lemme pull out my camera and post some diagrams of the syst-

(User was jailed for this post)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xakura posted:

Very cool, but presumably everyone they are protecting are running drones of their own, how do you handle iff and deconfliction and stuff?

With training and doctrine.
I remember when the Navy was getting pulled left and right to play in the desert, a lot of EW and Prowler types were getting pulled for spectrum management in Iraq since the Navy has been doing it for decades. I assume that the Army has since figure it out and incorporated into EW training?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stultus Maximus posted:

With training and doctrine.
I remember when the Navy was getting pulled left and right to play in the desert, a lot of EW and Prowler types were getting pulled for spectrum management in Iraq since the Navy has been doing it for decades. I assume that the Army has since figure it out and incorporated into EW training?

I worked with a bunch of that during my second deployment. At that point, the program seemed like it was rather mature, so I assume the incorporation happened fairly quickly. We had guys on the Company and BN level assigned to handle all things EW along with a couple of dedicated maintenance guys.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I assume that the Army has since figure it out and incorporated into EW training?

Yep, there's even an MOS for that, 25E spectrum manager, and for EW it's 29E.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bees everywhere posted:

Yep, there's even an MOS for that, 25E spectrum manager, and for EW it's 29E.

That's cool that they rolled out the 29E MOS. They were talking about it as I was getting out, we were relying on some training, manuals, and a few guys tasked to work it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah for a long time it was split between two skill identifiers, 1K and 1J, but sometime around 2010 they made an MOS that combined the two. In reality I think they spent more time doing random S-3 busywork than their actual jobs but that is probably changing now.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Somewhere in a warehouse or depot the THEL cracks a smile.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah that covers jamming, but these are systems meant to cook any drone they see, right? Are you going to run tiny IFF transponders?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bees everywhere posted:

Yeah for a long time it was split between two skill identifiers, 1K and 1J, but sometime around 2010 they made an MOS that combined the two. In reality I think they spent more time doing random S-3 busywork than their actual jobs but that is probably changing now.

Ah, that makes sense. I had some overlap time wise apparently, but never heard of/saw one.

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1645735246179041280

"You should have figured out yourself that you were drafted. Off to the front. Bring some shoes."

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Xakura posted:

Yeah that covers jamming, but these are systems meant to cook any drone they see, right? Are you going to run tiny IFF transponders?

If drone control systems were also mounted on those vehicles couldn't they just communicate with the laser targeting system?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Grip it and rip it posted:

If drone control systems were also mounted on those vehicles couldn't they just communicate with the laser targeting system?

That still means some sort of crypto and key control, unless you want every drone to say "I'm a friendly"

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Somewhere in a warehouse or depot the THEL cracks a smile.

No-one is ever deploying THEL anywhere, because if it ever takes a hit it basically does a serious chemical attack on your own rear.

But that's fine, because it's not needed anymore. There was a major breakthrough in practical high-powered lasers in the past decade, and there will be entirely solid-state laser systems that beat it in power before this decade is over. (A fiber laser can (within reason) produce any precise wavelength you want, and a prism refracts light depending on their wavelength. So you just make a whole lot of smaller lasers and stack them all on top of each other with a prism.)

THEL was very useful as a pathfinder system, because it showed everyone how effective a high-powered laser is, that no, you cannot defend against it with a shiny overcoat, and how it would be operated in practice, but deuterium fluoride chemical lasers have no path to being viable weapons.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

So you just make a whole lot of smaller lasers and stack them all on top of each other with a prism.

Better cover up the thermal exhaust port, and not let any X-Wings close.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Command and Conquer Generals continues to be the most prescient game ever made

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Command and Conquer Generals continues to be the most prescient game ever made

https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Townes

"Lasers make superior weapons"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cugel the Clever posted:

Probably the most stable erection he ever put up (meager though it must be).

goddamn

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wymZGgjk-H4

Interesting little mini-documentary (with English subtitles) about a SPG-9 team deployed in Bakhmut. The ex-Azov guy has one hell of a character arc in 7 1/2 minutes. No blood or bodies. Just the SPG shooting rounds, interviews with the men and an artillery shelling.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There’s a new swath of decapitation videos where Russian soldiers (?) are decapitating Ukrainians who are still alive.

Filmed by the fellow Russians. Which simply shows the attitude towards brutality and war crimes where they do not even expect to face repercussions.

And it’s apparently not just one or two, but a decent amount of episodes of it happening in the past few days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

There’s a new swath of decapitation videos where Russian soldiers (?) are decapitating Ukrainians who are still alive.

Filmed by the fellow Russians. Which simply shows the attitude towards brutality and war crimes where they do not even expect to face repercussions.

And it’s apparently not just one or two, but a decent amount of episodes of it happening in the past few days.

gently caress

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Problem is is this absolutely will start tit for tat poo poo where you're going to have Ukrainian soldiers and Russian soldiers killing each other any time there's an attempt at surrender, can really rapidly turn into a situation where neither side takes POWs anymore.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vengarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wymZGgjk-H4

Interesting little mini-documentary (with English subtitles) about a SPG-9 team deployed in Bakhmut. The ex-Azov guy has one hell of a character arc in 7 1/2 minutes. No blood or bodies. Just the SPG shooting rounds, interviews with the men and an artillery shelling.

I had a tiny minute of panic when I thought that was a Davy Crockett.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Is there a Russian equivalent to the Davy Crockett?
p.s. pls no above top secret intel, thx

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm pretty sure the US were the only country stupid enough to make a Davy Crockett, besides the fact that the US was better at miniaturization and the Russians believed in "Go big or go home" (see: Tsar Bomba)

IIRC the Davy Crockett wouldn't have really worked anyways since the blast was honestly too small to cause the intended damage to an armored column, but the neutron radiation would turn any unprotected personnel (including the firing crew) into medical casualties with severe ARS, and thermal and radiation burns.

Firing a Davy Crockett literally included instructions for the crew to basically fire the weapon and immediately hide behind a hill or in a prepared position before detonation, as the neutron pulse from the blast would be fatal to the firing crew within the max firing distance.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 12, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

orange juche posted:

Problem is is this absolutely will start tit for tat poo poo where you're going to have Ukrainian soldiers and Russian soldiers killing each other any time there's an attempt at surrender, can really rapidly turn into a situation where neither side takes POWs anymore.

Isn't escalating the situation to where russian conscripts can't even surrender because they'll be killed by both Ukraine and the blocking battalions behind them the russian governments goal? (and also to get them killed in general because this war is being used as an ethnic cleansing for assorted minority populations)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jimmy Smuts posted:

yah suitcase nuk-

(user was blacksited for this post)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to Lunev 84 of the USSR suitcase nukes went missing at the end of the cold war, fortunately if they have gone this long without changing out the fissile material they should no longer be functional.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Alan Smithee posted:

(user was blacksited for this post)

'tis pity this wasn't a link to a Rickroll.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

orange juche posted:

\
IIRC the Davy Crockett wouldn't have really worked anyways since the blast was honestly too small to cause the intended damage to an armored column,

It was meant to salt the Fulda Gap and enact a radioactive toll on Warsaw Pact columns crossing it in the days after firing. It wasn't honestly intended to take out anyone.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

They developed and deployed a Snuke once. Is that the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I still believe LaserPigs take that the Fulda gap scenario was western war planners jerking themselves off and that nothing like it would ever have happened