Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hoopy Frood posted:

I still have no need for this bike and no idea what I'm doing when I ride it, I had to wait 6 months for the right sized frame to arrive here in Australia, and I backed out of building it myself and got my local shop to build it for me, but here's my new Trinity:

https://i.imgur.com/GJREqnH.jpg

Much better pics from my excellent bike shop here in Melbourne: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpjuTUnyxZa/

Sure looks fast! Imagine TT bikes are the most important to get fit on by someone knowledgeable. If you haven't already done that.

Doing a weekly TT series right now on my normal road bike. 9.74 mile, lumpy course. Retro/Merckx category. It's surprisingly fun. In a type-2 sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

dema posted:

Sure looks fast! Imagine TT bikes are the most important to get fit on by someone knowledgeable. If you haven't already done that.

Thanks for suggesting that! The bike shop who agreed to build it up for me absolutely insisted on a bike fit, so I got that sorted early on. The very well respected fitter told me I had bought the wrong sized frame, the TCR I was currently riding on was also the wrong size, my crank length was too long, my handlebars are too wide, my saddle was about 2cm too high which meant my whole leg movement was incorrect, and oh yeah, one of my legs was a couple of centimetres longer than the other.

I walked out of there feeling like a complete idiot, but he was right on all points and I'm much more comfortable on my road bike now. The TT position still feels odd, but I think I'm slowly getting used to it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
bikes or w/e

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hoopy Frood posted:

The very well respected fitter told me I had bought the wrong sized frame,

Was it a stack issue? Were you able to get the right frame?

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Was it a stack issue? Were you able to get the right frame?

I'm still not entirely sure what the issue was, and there was even some contention between the bike shop and the fitter about what my size should be.

I'm 178cm and according to Giant I'm right at the upper limit of a Small frame for a Trinity, but midway through the Medium frame size range (172-184cm). I originally found a good deal on a Medium frame only, so I had purchased that as a bit of an impulse buy in August last year as a motivational 50th birthday present for myself. All was good until the fitter recommended me for a Small size, and I was lucky enough to be able to exchange the frame through a separate bike store, but had to wait around 6 months for it to be delivered. Giant stock is very hard to get here in Australia at the moment.

The bike store had their doubts about the Small size recommendation when I exchanged it, but since the bike fitter is (or was, I'm not sure) the World 12 and 24 hour distance record holder on Giant Trinity frames, the bike store (and myself, who had no idea really) tended to trust his judgement. That's not intended as a humblebrag for me selecting an elite bike fitter by the way, he was recommended to me by my store and I originally had no idea who he was since he was very friendly and humble. I only found out about his achievements afterwards: https://www.shinbonemedical.com/intro

So yeah, overall it was a bit of an ordeal.

Hoopy Frood fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 11, 2023

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001
I’ve been riding mountain bikes for a few years and decided to treated myself to a new road bike last Christmas. Been riding it for a few months now, bikes are good!

A baby ate my dingo fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 12, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just finished building it up and rode it for the first time today. About two months in the making waiting for parts and realizing I needed to order more poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Went for a ride this weekend and just remembered I took pictures

Heliosicle posted:

I love this thing so much, it lets me do the kind of riding I dreamt of as a kid

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I look at these photos and I have decided that I likely hate about 3/4 of you.

But only because you have such beautiful locations to ride on a daily basis. Keep em coming, I'll only cry a little.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'll only cry a little.
Me sitting here working when my bike and a beautiful day are just right there.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Crossposting
But I rode my bike then I rode my bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Crossposting

:krad:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Crossposting

At least you have reliable wheels when the Ural breaks down :razz:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

True but at least it’s as simple as a bicycle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

True but at least it’s as simple as a bicycle.

No doubt. If they were cheaper I'd probably grab one as my main toy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Crossposting

Yo dawg, I heard you like bikes

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Like an opossum carrying its babies.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Would be cool to ride this some time. Couple low elevation trails are dry so I'll probably try it out soon. Swapped tires and put on a nicer bar and stem today

Guess it could use some bottle cages.

Also took fenders off the major jake

"we have a domane rsl at home"

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 13, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Slowly making progress on my tandem longtail project

Converted it to 1x and put a (massive) stem riser on because I'm a tall fucker

Had some normal Franken bike bullshit but the next step is to sort out the back end, I have a system on another bike that I really like , so I'm mostly out of the woods :)

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Crossposting

This is all I want from life.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yall ever seen... a 300g carbon frame?

My kid was slowly improving on his Strider balance bike, and I figured I would take it to the next level with a carbon one.

The fork came put down to really only allow the barstem to be slammed, which is a bit unfortunate, as you don't get any fit adjustment for how your kid wants to hold their arms and upper body.

How high the bars are on the Strider is how my kid actually preferred it. When he had the choice, at least.

But he came around to the new bike pretty quickly
https://i.imgur.com/FbPa8bD.mp4
As I saw this happening, I thought, well, fewer components for the salt to rust out.

The Strider is just over 7lbs, while the BXT is 5.
It's just that much easier to carry around, and being carbon, doesn't sting as much if you hold it barehanded in cold temps.
Purely off of how much seat time the kid has gotten out of it already, this is far from the most frivolous bike purchase I've made.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

First bike ride of the year for me today

Bike parking in town isn’t quite ready for prime time yet though

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
I got a new bike last Saturday! I upgraded from my flat-bar Liv Rove 4 to a Specialized Diverge Elite E5. It's my first gravel bike and my first with drop bars, and the difference between the two bikes is crazy. I took it out for a quick spin on Saturday and a ~35-mile ride on Sunday, and I'm in love. I went over my modest budget by a bit, but NO REGERTS.

My LBS guy had me test ride a gray one, but I wanted the brightest color they had, so here it is in Lagoon Blue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Assless Chaps fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 13, 2023

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I love that color! You made basically the same leap I made last summer, flat bars to first-time drop bars and first-time gravel bike. Amazing how much of a difference it makes, eh?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Assless Chaps posted:

I got a new bike last Saturday! I upgraded from my flat-bar Liv Rove 4 to a Specialized Diverge Elite E5. It's my first gravel bike and my first with drop bars, and the difference between the two bikes is crazy. I took it out for a quick spin on Saturday and a ~35-mile ride on Sunday, and I'm in love. I went over my modest budget by a bit, but NO REGERTS.

My LBS guy had me test ride a gray one, but I wanted the brightest color they had, so here it is in Lagoon Blue.

I like the bike, and your pic has informed me of what sounds like a cool trail system upstate.

That color reminds me of Fender's Seafoam Green, which I always thought was cool, but which I know I could never pull off myself.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I just picked up a new camera and pancake lens to take on rides. Gonna get some sweet sweet flat Ohio pics.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I've heard the carbon frame thing is actually way good because it's closer , proportionally, to a child strength vs the weight of the bike

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

Fifty Three posted:

I love that color! You made basically the same leap I made last summer, flat bars to first-time drop bars and first-time gravel bike. Amazing how much of a difference it makes, eh?

It makes a huge difference. It's just lighter, more efficient, faster. I'm so glad I got it.

tarlibone posted:

I like the bike, and your pic has informed me of what sounds like a cool trail system upstate.

That color reminds me of Fender's Seafoam Green, which I always thought was cool, but which I know I could never pull off myself.

The Prairie Path is great, and it connects with tons of other trails, like the Great Western Trail.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

ayyy

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
new groupset day

mullet AXS, rival levers and gx derailleur

105 crank is a holdover from the mess that was on it before

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Those two gravel bikes :discourse:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Hoopy Frood posted:

On that note, here's a story in three parts:

I still have no need for this bike and no idea what I'm doing when I ride it, I had to wait 6 months for the right sized frame to arrive here in Australia, and I backed out of building it myself and got my local shop to build it for me, but here's my new Trinity:

Much better pics from my excellent bike shop here in Melbourne: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpjuTUnyxZa/

Jesus, that post of mine you quoted was almost a year ago?!?

uh, I guess I can show you part of my bicycle

Maybe I can finally get the wheels built while watching Amstel Gold

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I bought another steel bike. 2019 Macho King. Came with Light Bicycle 46 Carbon wheels.

Its a blast. :blastu:

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Wifi Toilet posted:

Jesus, that post of mine you quoted was almost a year ago?!?

uh, I guess I can show you part of my bicycle

Is that an Apple Red Black Label frame? Very nice! And yeah, I was surprised at how long it's been as well.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Hoopy Frood posted:

Is that an Apple Red Black Label frame? Very nice! And yeah, I was surprised at how long it's been as well.

Yep, got it during their black friday sale, lol.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
mullet axs: it’s good

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

New bike day :v:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Well? We're waiting! Dot giff.

Edit: ... apparently, the hospital wifi doesn't want me to see images!

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

That is a very attractive shade of red. Yay new bike day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Bicycle is coming along

So far so good :)
Aiming for ~50L of volume and it's looking positive that it will hit that