Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would just say that you were hit by layoffs in your first two jobs. Which is true. That’s some bad luck, not a personal failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't think your unhireable but she's not wrong that its a red flag. This is an unfortunate truth, but it kinda doesn't matter if you left voluntarily or not (and you told her the 2nd job was you leaving voluntarily), it makes it look like your someone who won't stick around for one reason or another. I think your story is reasonable but its important for you to get in front of it the best you can.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Here is a weird thing and I'm curious what you would all say. So, I decided to check my history because I notice there was an inconsistency on my resume and my linkedin profile for my first job. So, I looked through my e-mail history and I noticed something surprising.

I have an e-mail dated September of 2015 where I worked for a few week as an intern at my first job, which I did not remember. Then I got the job offer in October 2015. I then graduated college in May of 2016 and was working with them on training from then to October 2016, which is what I list as my start date. Can I list my start date for that job earlier? I never thought about it before, but I was given the offer a year in advance because I was picked out of college. I don't think October 2015 would be honest, but I did training with them sporadically between May and October, albeit for no pay but expenses were reimbursed. I think? I don't think I was paid, but I also really have no means to confirm that. I know they paid for the hotel and plane ticket for the training. For example, it looks like I might have been in San Francisco for training sometime in the summer, but I can't find the actual date in my e-mails.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 12, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Were you working continuously from September to may 2016?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lockback posted:

Were you working continuously from September to may 2016?

Oh, definitely not that time period, I graduated in May and was in school until then. I'm thinking more May to October. That's when I did training, sometime in there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don’t think that change is gonna move the needle for anyone that thinks you job hop too much, plus it’s a lie. So what benefit does it have for you?

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t think that change is gonna move the needle for anyone that thinks you job hop too much, plus it’s a lie. So what benefit does it have for you?

Okay, so it would be a lie. I was just curious about the technicalities here. Probably just wishful thinking brought on by that conversation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you were doing unpaid training with them from may to october in anticipation of a paid start in October:

A) that’s hosed up

B) I’d still claim a may start date

C) it doesn’t matter.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

C) it doesn’t matter.

This. Once you’re in the door, the facts don’t matter. I guarantee worse people than you have jobs wherever you apply, OP. If you go in defeated and apologetic, everyone will frame it like you deserved the bad poo poo. If you go in confident and congenial, they will see it as “Wow, OP overcomes obstacles. What an achiever!”

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Covok posted:

Got a pretty depressing dose of reality. I had a talk with a recruiter. Basically, they said my resume is too jumpy and that it's going to look that way even if I worked a year and a half at my current job. That I'm pretty unemployable with my employment history and that its probably not going to happen. She said the only job that I ever stayed at was only 4.5 years and that I had four jobs and that's really unacceptable in a six year career. And that she will do what she can but that I am very noncommittal.

LMAO, my average tenure is something like 15 months. I've never had a problem getting interviews or offers, been at this for almost 15 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it doesn't matter but most people are really bad at lying and i don't see the particular benefit in this situation

Covok
May 27, 2013

Can I just say that it's baffling to me, a bit, to realize I had a job offer almost a year and a half before I graduated college and then that actually turned out to be legit? It must have been a really nice. It was a good company -- one of the biggest in the industry -- and I basically knew during my entire master's period that I didn't have to worry about work. It's so wild. Nowadays, I wouldn't have trusted such a far off offer and would demand it be a month out, at most, to avoid cash flow issues.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Echoing a bit, but I'd use as a start date whenever you started actually doing stuff for them, even if it was unpaid training.

However it probably doesn't matter.

I'd also say given your resume, it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to use a recruiter. She's just not going to represent you the way you need to get represented. You're definitely hireable (I assume) but you will need a strong story and be proactive about telling it. A recruiter isn't going to do that for you.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have recently found myself unemployed, and I’m wondering if you guys have any ideas. For the last eight months or so I’ve been working as a property manager at a storage facility and I actually really enjoyed it, working essentially alone to handle an entire property was fun, I got to help people out and took pride in the facility being well run and highly occupied. Also had a lot of downtime so I could do my remote job simultaneously, which was also extremely nice.

Looking for something similar, or something with roughly those same qualities. I’ve realized that the things I value most in a job is 1) helping people and making their day better, 2) being the reason that the site is successful because I’m vain, and 3) having some downtime but being able to drop whatever I’m doing at a moment’s notice to assist a customer/client.

I think I don’t know enough about most jobs to know what actually fits that description, so I’m hoping to get some insight so when I look I can find something that I suspect I’ll enjoy

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Sounds like a live-in super would be a good fit, though I can't speak to the work/reward payoff.

Everybody loves a good super.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Honestly I'm also not opposed to trying to find some steady remote work, I've worked the same remote job for like five years and at this point I've automated it down to about 20 minutes, so I have a lot of free time. I think I just don't really have the training to do much? Seems like a majority of remote jobs are either programming related or accounting/payroll and I don't really ahve training for either, I taught myself coding to get my job working but that was in like autohotkey which is not exactly a business language.

I could take some courses and teach myself something like Python, I don't erally know what exactly the common language is or, frankly, what that would actually look like as a job. I enjoyed it a lot when I taught myself and could use it for dumb poo poo but I suspect if it's a job it probably wouldn't be quite as fun. Other than that, though, I really don't have many ideas. But I feel like I'm in a bit of a career dead end, I don't think the remote job has a lot of upward mobility at this point, I've gotten about as high as I realistically will and tbh I'm not paid that much for where I am, even though I'm fairly integral. Not going to really complain about that since the work takes me so little time, but it's still annoying. I can basically keep this job forever as supplemental income, but I'd like something more substantial that actually has some options in the future.

It hasn't been entirely useless, I've been managing people for a few years so I technically have managerial experience and I'm the lead in my small department, but overall not a lot going on really.

I would LOVE a job where I don't really need to do much except monitor how things are going and step in when needed

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

One thing I’ve had way too much time to think about recently is what a godawful pain it is to provide employment history info once you’re in your 40s, especially if you’ve had a number of employers in your 20s and 30s. I’m 42 and my career looks like this:

- lawyer for 10 years
- business stuff for several years
- exec at a tech company for several years
- other stuff for a while

I recently started another tech job and I probably spent a full week just answering screening questions along the lines of “no I can’t give you my supervisor’s phone number for the job I worked 12 years ago” from the dipshits they farmed the screening out to. Eventually it all resolved but that was a massive waste of everybody’s time not least because the screening companies automate the entire process with poorly designed forms that need a ton of back and forth questioning to fix. Highlight was when they asked me to give evidence of the degree or other academic qualifications a previous employer awarded me (wtf?).

It’s not helped by the way that the automated emails read like they are written by the same people who draft comms for debt collectors: QUESTION RAISED; YOU MUST RESPOND TODAY OR YOUR OFFER MAY BE WITHDRAWN. Knowing it’s neither true nor (where I am) enforceable just makes it more annoying IMO.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Beefeater1980 posted:

One thing I’ve had way too much time to think about recently is what a godawful pain it is to provide employment history info once you’re in your 40s, especially if you’ve had a number of employers in your 20s and 30s. I’m 42 and my career looks like this:

- lawyer for 10 years
- business stuff for several years
- exec at a tech company for several years
- other stuff for a while

I recently started another tech job and I probably spent a full week just answering screening questions along the lines of “no I can’t give you my supervisor’s phone number for the job I worked 12 years ago” from the dipshits they farmed the screening out to. Eventually it all resolved but that was a massive waste of everybody’s time not least because the screening companies automate the entire process with poorly designed forms that need a ton of back and forth questioning to fix. Highlight was when they asked me to give evidence of the degree or other academic qualifications a previous employer awarded me (wtf?).

It’s not helped by the way that the automated emails read like they are written by the same people who draft comms for debt collectors: QUESTION RAISED; YOU MUST RESPOND TODAY OR YOUR OFFER MAY BE WITHDRAWN. Knowing it’s neither true nor (where I am) enforceable just makes it more annoying IMO.

Worst part is it's always the same bullshit verification company and they always get stuck on the same stuff. Keep a file on me please.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
I needed to work for someone else for 20 years to finally wake up and work for myself.
You know, I realized that as an employee, I was locked in a box. Limited from various points of view. I would never go back to work for someone else.
Now I am the owner of a painting business and I would encourage you to go on your own also. It's not easy, it's risky, but it's totally worth it.
Here you can continue reading about how to start a painting business, it's an article I wrote myself and which I hope will inspire others to stop working for someone else and take control of their own life.

Aqua Seafoam Shame fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 11, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

My mom said something last week and a recruiter waid something today that has me thinking.

Here it is: I'm at 10 months at this job and I'm considering quitting without another job secured.

Why?

Well, first off, I dreaded going into work so much Thursday and Friday that I had to take mental heath days. I actually physically felt sick but the doctor said I was completely fine. They think maybe I caught something going around but the test came back negative across the board. My mom thinks it was severe stress and my white hairs at 30 are making me think so too.

For what feels like the 10th time, we've barely made payroll. This week, I couldn't deposit until Tuesday. Which means I was paid 5 days late. There has been a consisten "Don't pay yourself unti Monday" thing going on for a while.

Our company is not good. My boss kept telling me its been worse but now he's saying he can't work like this, he hates working like this, and he would have quit if I wasn't around. The longest term employees are stressed and getting into arguments. The owner called my boss an rear end in a top hat in front of the entire office because we didn't have enough money to pay the bills, even though its the owner's fault for constantly taking money for themselves.

We are millions in debt. They owe the unions so much that we got a letter Friday saying that if we don't pay up, they'll report us and have us cut off from all government contracts and payouts until we make even. We have 260k on their father's Amex that has been sitting since December with no payments. I already had to do a financial review to keep their other American expresses. They are banking on getting a line of credit, but there has been 3 bank failures, they do not have a tax return showing a positive income in over 2 years because they lie on their taxes, and years ago they let a line of credit be withdrawn due to a lack of timely payment.

Today, the recruiter said that they have me trapped. I don't get a lunch break because they buy me lunches and they put my desk in the same office as my boss so I can't make phone calls. Another recruiter called our setup archaic and that this is an old trick to make it impossible for employees to look for other work by forcing them ibto early morning and late night interviews, which usually don't go anywhere.

I have 30k+ in cash saved up before any of my retirement savings. I know I don't get unemployment. I am just dreading going into work everyday.

To be clear, the recruiter did not say to quit. Not yet. I sent him an email asking his opinion but he didn't get back to me. My mom, however, did say if I am so dreading going to work that I have money saved up and that I could afford it.

I also, honestly, do not like how the boss is banking on me taking over for him next year. This guy's entire job seems to be stay until 6pm everyday and be berated.

And, honestly, I don't know how they'll make ends meat in a recession.

I am legit wondering if quitting and focusing full time on a job hunt makes sense.

My landlords are my parents, I paid off my car in cash and only have insurance payments, I have 10k in cash checking and 24k in cash savings. And I honestly feel like this is a sinking ship. No one seems to recongize it. Maybe I'm crazy? We are so behind on our payments and routinely have money issues. Maybe this is normal for construction but its driving me mad.

Edit: Also, we can't get credit from any of our vendors. Either we are so in debt that we were moved to cash on delivery or they require a personal guarantee and the owners refuse to sign one. A few months ago, the controller tried to sign the personal guarantee for them, but they don't accept those from non-owners. I really hope that isn't just poo poo they expect.

Edit edit: And all I'm getting is health insurance. The 401k takes 1 year to kick in and won't kick in for two months. And they gently caress people over. They announced a profit sharing agreement but rescinded it because they didn't have the cash to pay it and kind of lied to all the workers about it. And they constantly pay people in cash and don't report it to the IRS or NYS. And they are over 300k in debt for payroll taxes. They still have over a million in trust fund recovery penalities on their personal side from falling behind years ago on payroll. And they don't offer vision or dental. And, while my salary is 90k and that's very nice, this constant uncertainty isn't helping. It isn't even entirely new. The first time I deposited my paycheck I was reprimanded for deposting as soon as I got it, as if that isn't a normal thing.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 9, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You should definitely quit

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Covok posted:

My mom said something last week and a recruiter waid something today that has me thinking.

Here it is: I'm at 10 months at this job and I'm considering quitting without another job secured.

Why?

Well, first off, I dreaded going into work so much Thursday and Friday that I had to take mental heath days. I actually physically felt sick but the doctor said I was completely fine. They think maybe I caught something going around but the test came back negative across the board. My mom thinks it was severe stress and my white hairs at 30 are making me think so too.

For what feels like the 10th time, we've barely made payroll. This week, I couldn't deposit until Tuesday. Which means I was paid 5 days late. There has been a consisten "Don't pay yourself unti Monday" thing going on for a while.

Our company is not good. My boss kept telling me its been worse but now he's saying he can't work like this, he hates working like this, and he would have quit if I wasn't around. The longest term employees are stressed and getting into arguments. The owner called my boss an rear end in a top hat in front of the entire office because we didn't have enough money to pay the bills, even though its the owner's fault for constantly taking money for themselves.

We are millions in debt. They owe the unions so much that we got a letter Friday saying that if we don't pay up, they'll report us and have us cut off from all government contracts and payouts until we make even. We have 260k on their father's Amex that has been sitting since December with no payments. I already had to do a financial review to keep their other American expresses. They are banking on getting a line of credit, but there has been 3 bank failures, they do not have a tax return showing a positive income in over 2 years because they lie on their taxes, and years ago they let a line of credit be withdrawn due to a lack of timely payment.

Today, the recruiter said that they have me trapped. I don't get a lunch break because they buy me lunches and they put my desk in the same office as my boss so I can't make phone calls. Another recruiter called our setup archaic and that this is an old trick to make it impossible for employees to look for other work by forcing them ibto early morning and late night interviews, which usually don't go anywhere.

I have 30k+ in cash saved up before any of my retirement savings. I know I don't get unemployment. I am just dreading going into work everyday.

To be clear, the recruiter did not say to quit. Not yet. I sent him an email asking his opinion but he didn't get back to me. My mom, however, did say if I am so dreading going to work that I have money saved up and that I could afford it.

I also, honestly, do not like how the boss is banking on me taking over for him next year. This guy's entire job seems to be stay until 6pm everyday and be berated.

I am legit wondering if quitting and focusing full time on a job hunt makes sense.

My landlords are my parents, I paid off my car in cash and only have insurance payments, I have 10k in cash checking and 24k in cash savings. And I honestly feel like this is a sinking ship. No one seems to recongize it. Maybe I'm crazy? We are so behind on our payments and routinely have money issues. Maybe this is normal for construction but its driving me mad.

Edit: Also, we can't get credit from any of our vendors. Either we are so in debt that we were moved to cash on delivery or they require a personal guarantee and the owners refuse to sign one. A few months ago, the controller tried to sign the personal guarantee for them, but they don't accept those from non-owners. I really hope that isn't just poo poo they expect.

Edit edit: And all I'm getting is health insurance. The 401k takes 1 year to kick in and won't kick in for two months. And they gently caress people over. They announced a profit sharing agreement but rescinded it because they didn't have the cash to pay it and kind of lied to all the workers about it. And they constantly pay people in cash and don't report it to the IRS or NYS. And they are over 300k in debt for payroll taxes. They still have over a million in trust fund recovery penalities on their personal side from falling behind years ago on payroll. And they don't offer vision or dental. And, while my salary is 90k and that's very nice, this constant uncertainty isn't helping. It isn't even entirely new. The first time I deposited my paycheck I was reprimanded for deposting as soon as I got it, as if that isn't a normal thing.

Step out to run an important errand for a couple interviews.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Let’s just say you are on something that used to be a boat but is actively being reclaimed by the ocean.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Covok posted:

Why?

You should wait until they put you into an even more important position, then quit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If your health is suffering quit.

I would just take interviews in front of my boss or just walk out and say "Hey I've got an interview for a better job, be back in 30". If they fire you then you get unemployment to help. You have a great story for why you get fired: "I was let go after weeks of the company missing payroll".

Anyway, gently caress these guys and the worst they can do is fire you which would be a blessing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I would start at least depositing your checks on time and see if they write you up. You can quit for cause and get unemployment, maybe consult an attorney?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah I didn't want to be the first to say gtfo, but gtfo. loving with payroll is a really bad sign by itself. I bet this company has never allowed direct deposit for paychecks either, so they can play underhanded games with it. I've been there before, after a while I got worried that the checks would straight up bounce.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah I didn't want to be the first to say gtfo, but gtfo. loving with payroll is a really bad sign by itself. I bet this company has never allowed direct deposit for paychecks either, so they can play underhanded games with it. I've been there before, after a while I got worried that the checks would straight up bounce.

They will.

A good cover f or a series of interviews would probably be a dental cleaning appointment that reveals several cavities that you need to have separate appointments for.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Luckily I got laid off before that happened.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'd say don't gently caress around with saying you're taking an interview or they'll start building your "fired for cause" file and gently caress with your UI.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah any time payroll is going wrong you gotta bail that’s the rules

like maybe you can accept a gently caress up on withholding or something I guess if the employer catches it first

Covok
May 27, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

They have. Not mine, but I did get worried about them bouncing. But others have had their paychecks bounce. That's why the "just cash them" immediately thing won't work. I reconcile the books and keep track of the check book. It's a goddamn mess. And, long story short, paychecks have bounced and, when they tell us to hold the paychecks, it's because they will bounce if you cash them on time. The owners sometimes don't let us tell the employees, convinced float will make it work. Usually, it strangely does, but it's still poo poo to do and a bad sign.

But, yes, I've seen paychecks straight up bounce. And my boss being a dick about it and telling people just to redeposit because the money is available now. And being confused that the bank won't let them redeposit checks. Like, I do not know what century my boss lives in half the time.

After thinking it over, I'm definitely sticking it out until the end of the week and I'll just keep reassesing every week. My family is saying I have the money to survive if I bounce since I saved up a ton. But it's up to me. The problem with me is I always think "you know you have anxiety issues: is this real or are you just having one of your episodes?" And, the problem is, I just don't ever truly know? But I do know that slurs aren't acceptable in the office, the office is having serious money issues, and I should never go home thinking "well, I can't get paid for at least 3 days because a customer paid late." It's actually topsy turvy world, sometimes. My boss complains how people at other offices "don't care" because "they go home and they don't have to worry about not making payroll." And, I just want to be like "that's normal: that's how things are supposed to work. Neither of us are owners; we don't share the profits of the business. We aren't supposed to be afraid of not getting paid on time." The guy has worked here for 10 years and I think he might have forgotten how a normal job works.

Edit: And they told me they don't do direct deposit because often it would pull the money "too early" and it would cause them to overdraw.

Edit: Also, next week we're going to be started to be paid out of a different company because they have an offer in compromise in place with the IRS and they're afraid of jeopardizing it by going late on their taxes in that one specific company.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 9, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

lol, no those are totally normal things to be anxious about and its not how real companies should act at all. You should be actively trying to leave or just quit. That's extremely reasonable for you to do.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm not even sure it's worth it to stick out the week tbh, you have more savings than I do, you'll be fine with out this job while you look for another.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
This job sounds more like an abusive relationship.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm not even sure it's worth it to stick out the week tbh, you have more savings than I do, you'll be fine with out this job while you look for another.

The week is to see how it affects the few interviews I did. A smooth transition is preferable and memorial day weekend is coming up. Besides, a two weeks notice is easiest when it ends on payday. After venting online and to my family, I honestly feel better. I don't feel trapped as much. I think I really needed my mom to tell me at 5pm to stop thinking abouy the job. So, I want to give it until the weekend.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

Besides, a two weeks notice is easiest when it ends on payday.

Buddy I got bad news about your paydays

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lockback posted:

lol, no those are totally normal things to be anxious about and its not how real companies should act at all. You should be actively trying to leave or just quit. That's extremely reasonable for you to do.

For the record, I've been job hunting since March. I hadn't gotten any bites until the sick day I took last week. I did an interview Monday morning. Today, a different company only wanted to meet me Wednesday from 11pm to 4pm. That's when I explained my situation to the recruiter and he went "those are old traps to keep you from getting a new job. They give you lunch so you can't leave to do an interview during your break; they put you in the same office as your boss so you can't take a call." He said these are archaic old tricks employers used to do in the 80s and 90s and it's honestly really shocking for them to be done to someone with the title of "assistant controller." And that really set off an anxiety attack in me that lastest all morning and it's when I seriously gave thought to the "should I just quit now thing" my mom said.

But, it keeps coming in the back of my head "a 9-10 month job on the resume though."

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 10, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Lockback posted:

Not an emptyquote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lockback posted: