Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Speaking of the BG wiki, it says that Keldorn and Edwin have conflict if they get too close to each other? What exactly does that mean? They can be in the party as long as Keldorn doesn't get too close to Edwin to be able to talk or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

that would be pretty funny if it was triggered by physical proximity, but no as far as I know it just happens after a certain amount of time together

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Has there ever been a social distancing challenge attempted in one of these games? Probably something to add on to an Ironman Insane run or something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

solo ironman, the ultimate social distancing challenge

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The "first adventuring party since lockdown" challenge run.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

docbeard posted:

And that's why you don't install the Bodhi Romance mod.

Is there such a thing? There's definitely a component to Romantic Encounters but afaik that's it. And I'm sad to know that much.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure there is/was a mod that let you redeem/recruit Bodhi that came in the wake of the Solaufein mod being really successful back in the day. Can't find it anywhere though so maybe I'm misremembering or getting it confused with the Valen mod or something.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

sebzilla posted:

Is there such a thing? There's definitely a component to Romantic Encounters but afaik that's it. And I'm sad to know that much.

she vill suck your dick….and ze blood!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Speaking of the BG wiki, it says that Keldorn and Edwin have conflict if they get too close to each other? What exactly does that mean? They can be in the party as long as Keldorn doesn't get too close to Edwin to be able to talk or what?

I think this is broken. It may be the proximity thing, it might be something else, I'm not sure. And Keldorn's liable to murder other party members too, he's sort of the Lawful Stupid stereotype. Nice banters with Korgan, though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can see the appeal of Solaufein as a character - sure, he'll murder countless svirfneblin and conspire to genocide the elves, but he's a real sad boi while doing it and if only he had the love of a good [charname], he could become good one day.

Whereas, with Bodhi, she's explicitly written as deranged and power-hungry even before her soul got merked, and now she's a vampire with a touch of anhedonia who'll betray quite literally anyone if there's a chance it'll amuse her.

I mean, there's kinks and then there's kinks.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

bike tory posted:

I'm pretty sure there is/was a mod that let you redeem/recruit Bodhi that came in the wake of the Solaufein mod being really successful back in the day. Can't find it anywhere though so maybe I'm misremembering or getting it confused with the Valen mod or something.

Sounds like Valen to me, which is *interestingly* balanced iirc

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Naah I was just making a joke but it also wouldn't surprise me. I know there's one that let's you have Irenicus around in ToB (and I think one that lets you summon them both for the final battle)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean there's plenty of Imoen romance mods for your :catstare: needs.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Does anyone know what global variables I need to adjust to complete "Half Ogres near Beregost" in BG1? I've cleared that whole map and definitely wiped them out, but Bjornin doesn't seem to register it. I've tried adjusting the HELPBJORNIN variable but that just seems to change his dialogue. there's two variables which refer to dead ogres (OGRESDEAD and OGRESKILLED), but I assumed that had to do with a different quest.

edit: lmao immediately figured it out after posting this. setting OGRESKILLED to 4 completes it. One of 'em must've run off and despawned or something.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ace Transmuter posted:

I mean there's plenty of Imoen romance mods for your :catstare: needs.

quote:

"W... What are you doing, stepsister?!" said Abdel.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

docbeard posted:

Naah I was just making a joke but it also wouldn't surprise me. I know there's one that let's you have Irenicus around in ToB (and I think one that lets you summon them both for the final battle)

Longer Road is the first one and it was alright as far as BG mods go.

I think the second one is Turnabout.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Zeerust posted:

Does anyone know what global variables I need to adjust to complete "Half Ogres near Beregost" in BG1? I've cleared that whole map and definitely wiped them out, but Bjornin doesn't seem to register it. I've tried adjusting the HELPBJORNIN variable but that just seems to change his dialogue. there's two variables which refer to dead ogres (OGRESDEAD and OGRESKILLED), but I assumed that had to do with a different quest.

edit: lmao immediately figured it out after posting this. setting OGRESKILLED to 4 completes it. One of 'em must've run off and despawned or something.

This is a known bug. It's been an issue since they first ported BG to the BG2 engine in Tutu, and it still pops up from time to time. I think one of the Ogres doesn't spawn properly or doesn't have the right tag or something.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Its possible you're on the wrong map. I think he might give you bad directions and sends you to the wrong location

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Welp my ‘kill time between meetings’ run on pathfinder has concluded. Reading this thread I feel like I’ve either forgotten or missed a shitton of content in BG1/2. Time to refresh my memory

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there a thread for wrath of the righteous? I want to continue my game but the abyss chapter is so slow and awkward with manipulating the environment to get around and I got frustrated and lost and when I try to pick it back up I just groan and turn it off. I'd like to finish it because I was having fun.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Is there a thread for wrath of the righteous? I want to continue my game but the abyss chapter is so slow and awkward with manipulating the environment to get around and I got frustrated and lost and when I try to pick it back up I just groan and turn it off. I'd like to finish it because I was having fun.

Yep:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869934

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Install toy box bind teleport to a hot key.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hmmm, exact same spot and issue I'm having with that, even with using toybox to teleport around it's just onerous and not fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So how do these play on the PS4 because I bought the dual pack with both of them

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

So how do these play on the PS4 because I bought the dual pack with both of them

The control scheme works well, and it only crashed once during a full run of both Gates.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hilariously I'm seriously considering a iron man play attempt when I start them just see how it goes.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Probably a really basic question, but I'm considering a BGEE full series run and wondering about interesting & effective class choices throughout both games. I'm thinking Elf Archer, but concerned about level caps at the end and wondering if multi-class might be more fun.

I've never gotten anywhere meaningful in BG1, but played through SoA and ToB ~20 years ago as a Human Assassin so don't want to be a thief at least.

Also, is Core Rules is closest to the OG BG1&2 experience?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nancy posted:

Probably a really basic question, but I'm considering a BGEE full series run and wondering about interesting & effective class choices throughout both games. I'm thinking Elf Archer, but concerned about level caps at the end and wondering if multi-class might be more fun.

I've never gotten anywhere meaningful in BG1, but played through SoA and ToB ~20 years ago as a Human Assassin so don't want to be a thief at least.

Nothing wrong with Archer. Godlike in BG, overpowered in BG2, merely good in TOB.

You can be a human and dual to cleric if you're worried about contributing at better than merely good in TOB but you lose out on most interesting things about the archer (effectively losing out on the heyday of Gesen shortbow) to turn your archer skills into strategic debuff rock slinger before doing normal cleric high level stuff.

There's a million interesting builds so if you have any archetypal or power level goals they can probably be mapped to something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nancy posted:

Make sure not to sleep on Siege of Dragonspear. It’s awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

In a way, using sticks to move around makes exploring a lot more fun and breezy. Once you get used to the control scheme it's great

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

zedprime posted:

Nothing wrong with Archer. Godlike in BG, overpowered in BG2, merely good in TOB.

chaosapiant posted:

Make sure not to sleep on Siege of Dragonspear. It’s awesome.

Word thanks for the input! Think I'll charge ahead with Archer then.

Goal is to cover as much content as possible (before burning out), including Dragonspear, but I was a bit wary as I've seen mixed things about it.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Nancy posted:

Goal is to cover as much content as possible (before burning out), including Dragonspear, but I was a bit wary as I've seen mixed things about it.

SoD is fantastic and I heartily recommend it. It has some jank in it but a lot of really great stuff. The game got review bombed by dipshit transphobes and I feel like once people see a game get bad initial reviews without knowing the whole story behind it, they tend to go in expecting it to be bad and end up being more critical of small flaws.

I haven't played it until like a month ago exactly because of the mixed reviews and I'm really kicking myself for not playing it sooner.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 18, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Snicker-Snack posted:

SoD is fantastic and I heartily recommend it. It has some jank in it but a lot of really great stuff. The game got review bombed by dipshit transphobes and I feel like once people see a game get bad initial reviews without knowing the whole story behind it, they tend to go in expecting it to be bad and end up being more critical of small flaws.
Really good to know! I hadn't read anything in depth about Dragonspear but transphobes trying to poison the well explains a lot of the vague negative reviews I've seen. Will try really hard not to burn out halfway through BG1.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
What’s the trans stuff in dragon spear? Been too long and I dont remember. Wasn’t there also a girdle of gender swapping in BG1 did they have a problem with that as well

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

i am a moron posted:

What’s the trans stuff in dragon spear? Been too long and I dont remember. Wasn’t there also a girdle of gender swapping in BG1 did they have a problem with that as well

It's a very minor quest with a priestess of tempus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i am a moron posted:

There was a minor trans character in a quest who told you she was trans. That’s seriously it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Arivia posted:

There was a minor trans character in a quest who told you she was trans. That’s seriously it.

With the amount of controversy you'd think a major character wound up being trans but it's literally someone you never have to talk to.

Beamdog did end up updating the character by giving her a side-quest, overall I think it's an improvement but it's still silly that chuds got upset over it.

I really enjoyed replaying Siege of Dragonspear in my Sandrah Saga LP after having soured on it before, tbh it's probably on par with Throne of Bhaal as a decent expansion that could've been better.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Vichan posted:

With the amount of controversy you'd think a major character wound up being trans but it's literally someone you never have to talk to.

Beamdog did end up updating the character by giving her a side-quest, overall I think it's an improvement but it's still silly that chuds got upset over it.

Oh lol she didn't even had the quest on release? Jesus

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Snicker-Snack posted:

Oh lol she didn't even had the quest on release? Jesus

Nope, the one complaint that I kinda got is that she just tells her entire backstory after you ask her an initial question. Then again a lot of Baldur's Gate NPCs are guilty of the same thing. With the way it is now I see no reason to complain whatsoever and anyone who does can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Oh wow that seems like a totally normal thing for normal, cool people to be fixated on. Good work society