Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

drat the 2000 Escaflowne flick is wild.There's a consensus about it being dull, but lol gently caress that someone blows up a horse in this movie w their mind powers. nah bw the constant poo poo just happening and one stupefyingly gorgeous background after the next, I was rarely bored. The Turn A vibes are very strong in all the sunny pastoral scenes of just bumming around in a convoy, Depressed Hitomi is kind of a vibe all her own before going to Gaea and becoming an even flatter character. I respect everyone's new drip. Allen has the Sephiroth look, Folken is just Bowie in Labyrinth, even that mole guy is drippy.

Holy poo poo the mecha animation. The creepy bioorganic touches they did to the Escaflowne(and accompanying sound design) are so sick

I even like the furry ganking folken. gently caress around and find out bitch. Get Johan'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

GateOfD posted:

I love anime

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Even knowing Dead Mount's premise, that it's well-liked enough as a manga, and has the Narita pedigree it's honestly a big ask to start with ~10 minutes of generic fantasy crap that doesn't even look good.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

haypliss posted:

Even knowing Dead Mount's premise, that it's well-liked enough as a manga, and has the Narita pedigree it's honestly a big ask to start with ~10 minutes of generic fantasy crap that doesn't even look good.

it felt like i went back in time 2 days and was watching overlord again except they actually put a tiny amount of effort into a fight scene. i can't really hate on it too much if it at least managed to go above the material it was parodying. the squiggly purple static ghosts even looked cool.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
can't believe the new shinkai movie, insomniacs after school, finally came out this week

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In what abstract way are two lovers separated in this one

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Big Leg posted:

it felt like i went back in time 2 days and was watching overlord again except they actually put a tiny amount of effort into a fight scene. i can't really hate on it too much if it at least managed to go above the material it was parodying. the squiggly purple static ghosts even looked cool.

All the individual elements are at worst serviceable, but it doesn't come together into anything I care about. Post-reincarnation, it works and they get their hook off by the end, so I assume they just went for a more padded opening for other reasons.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Waffleman_ posted:

they are constantly under attack by the very sun itself

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

haypliss posted:

All the individual elements are at worst serviceable, but it doesn't come together into anything I care about. Post-reincarnation, it works and they get their hook off by the end, so I assume they just went for a more padded opening for other reasons.

yeah it's not inspiring cinema by any measure, i was just in the right headspace (being forced to watch 50 episodes of overlord) to stomach it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Big Leg posted:

:hai:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Waffleman_ posted:

can’t sleep. can’t love. too busy yawning.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Big Leg posted:

:same:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I went in expecting a supernatural show for Insomniacs, but I like what it's turning out to be a lot better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was Call of the Night from a few seasons ago.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, Insomniacs After School is beaut.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oshi no Ko has a real banger of an OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobdLUFcRAQ

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I have yet to be let down by Yoasobi

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They should probably bring in an actual rapper next time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
should have a different character sing the OP each episode.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Insomniacs is a really good show for contagious yawning.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

haypliss posted:

They should probably bring in an actual rapper next time.

That style of rap is extremely contemporary kpop so it seems fine to me

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

RuBisCO posted:

That style of rap is extremely contemporary kpop so it seems fine to me

I'm familiar with the style, not feeling it or the song in general though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

thats pretty good (except for the rap as others have mentioned)
it shocks me that so much of oshinoko-related art is so good. look at that drawing bro

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
bunch of anime watching today

finished Mashle episode 1. Know nothing about it, but the quality seems good, and the style of humor is fine.
starting Dead Mount Death Play.

then have Skip & Loafer ep2 to watch after

Edit: Skip & Loafer ep2 done.
Was pretty neutral at the first episode, but episode 2 got more interesting with the class dynamics being established.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 11, 2023

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Alice Gear continues to not have a plot beyond a fifteen-second summary, which honestly raised more questions than it answered. The moment-to-moment comedy is pretty okay, but nothing about any of it stands out, and I'm clearly not the target audience. Also there's a really bad joke with a guy in drag in the second episode, it's a ten-second throwaway scene but it's still a lazy stereotype and hack writing. One less show to keep up with.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 11, 2023

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Get real invested in the supernatural and tank-tops.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Haven't watched a lot yet, but I'm sold on Tengoku Daimakyou.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brutal Garcon posted:

Get real invested in the supernatural and tank-tops.

Kid knows what he likes and doesn't deviate. The signs of the most powerful character

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kinda mad the Mashle anime didn't keep in this face

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i made a thread about skip and loafer. i have tried to calibrate how annoying the gimmick is, but let me know if i under- or over-shot.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029589

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

i made a thread about skip and loafer. i have tried to calibrate how annoying the gimmick is, but let me know if i under- or over-shot.

Two sentences in and I am already turned off of the show

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

bro you're trying to sell me on the show, not pass your thesis defense

e: central dyad??? you mean protagonists??

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

symbolic posted:

bro you're trying to sell me on the show, not pass your thesis defense

e: central dyad??? you mean protagonists??

i specifically mean dyad because i am doing a bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjoLbePA46A&t=17s

i do not know how much clearer i need to make it that i am doing a bit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

why

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

you will have to uncover that mystery for yourself

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think the bit is good. but i won't be watching

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

you will have to uncover that mystery for yourself

ok

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will also not be watching the show because the thread makes it seem like the most insufferable up its own rear end LN garbage.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I will be watching but not engaging in the bit.

Meanwhile I think with Yamada, Skiploaf, and Bokuyaba already I'll just skip on Insomniacs and read the manga when it's done. It just feels a bit blah even when hitting the bigger moments at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

From initially thinking that it was going to be a quiet season for me, I've suddenly found myself watching a lot of shows.

- Jigokuraku
- Heavenly Delusion
- Demon Slayer
- Lvl999 Yamada-kun
- Gwitch
- Insomniacs
- Skip and Loafer

Might end up picking up Oshi no Ko as well, and I still need to catch up on Vinland Saga s2. A big jump from only watching Buddy Daddies last season.