Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sab0921 posted:

It's skeptical, norseman.

Why would I use the amerikan spelling?

Anyway, it is sad. So sad. It's a sad, sad situation. And it's getting more and more absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Pook Good Mook posted:

My thoughts too. Was his only other offer to work for Trump on one of his criminal cases?

What are the chances a third year Skadden associate has seen the inside of a courtroom?

I’m guessing zero. Also never taken a deposition, never drafted a motion without two other people looking at it, never conducted a status conference, and never talked directly with opposing lawyers.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Might have been a corporate associate, because we all know how much Musk values someone who can do due diligence.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It still makes me :lol: and cry a bit that people that I had significantly more actual lawyer experience in my first three years of law than your average biglaw associate yet they got paid 6x what I did.

Now they just make 2-3x and I still cry a little.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

It still makes me :lol: and cry a bit that people that I had significantly more actual lawyer experience in my first three years of law than your average biglaw associate yet they got paid 6x what I did.

Yeah but do you have to be a lawyer?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mr. Nice! posted:

They got paid not as the lawyers they were, but the lawyers they could be. Never you mind that most of them didn't.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

as a third year I filed tons of motions and was in charge of a shockingly big project

my first motion was filed about a year after I started but they didn't let me put my name on it :argh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah but do you have to be a lawyer?

I'm definitely much happier than I ever was as a lawyer. I don't have clients. I just get to look things up and present what I find regardless of the results. I get paid much more than I did as a lawyer to TA classes and write papers. I'll have to teach one class/academic year starting in the next fall or spring.

evilweasel posted:

as a third year I filed tons of motions and was in charge of a shockingly big project

my first motion was filed about a year after I started but they didn't let me put my name on it :argh:

I had my first argument in front of a judge on my first full day on the job. I interviewed Wednesday with a private defense lawyer. Came in Thursday to fill out paperwork and was handed a file for a contested early termination of probation hearing taking place on Friday. I won. I should have quit right then instead of a few years later.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

blarzgh posted:

FYI this guy is in jail now and will almost certainly be losing his license

tell him the chicago group meets at 7pm on wednesday and he can google the address

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm definitely much happier than I ever was as a lawyer. I don't have clients.

I rest my case.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

tell him the chicago group meets at 7pm on wednesday and he can google the address

He needs AA for real, but he's gonna have to do the one in prison

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had my first argument in front of a judge on my first full day on the job. I interviewed Wednesday with a private defense lawyer. Came in Thursday to fill out paperwork and was handed a file for a contested early termination of probation hearing taking place on Friday. I won. I should have quit right then instead of a few years later.

Must have felt awesome at the time though!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm gonna do oral argument in front of the Ninth Circuit this summer, I'm hype.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Tokelau All Star posted:

Good luck. I did this remote during the pandemic and since I was at home and didn’t get to go to the nice big courthouse it felt incredibly low rent and anti-climactic. Might as well have been immigration court or traffic court.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Tokelau All Star posted:

If you're early enough on the schedule to finish by lunch the courthouse is walking distance from SF Chinatown.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

If you're early enough on the schedule to finish by lunch the courthouse is walking distance from SF Chinatown.

I think the Ninth Circuit hears arguments in roughly a billion different locations.

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just for being orderly and poo poo, anyone needing a discord invite please post about it below and you'll be pmd an invite. If you don't have pm please make a temp email account.

You need to be:

- some form of lawyer or lawyer dawg
- some form of goon
- not a disruptive rear end in a top hat (HDD is already on the server)

hello I qualify and this is the last thread I occasionally read. could I score an invite please. also I'll set my server name to HDD #38 so I mean this is a win for everyone involved

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I thought the discord had a no HDDs allowed policy?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean if we don't, based on our experiences with the one we've already got, we should

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
No HDDs refused

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I passed the bar recently, so I'm doomed. Just wanted to say thanks to blarghz I think for explaining hearsay rule exceptions to me like two years ago itt.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hey, congrats! Now that you're in actual practice (hopefully) here are the real rules:
1) don't commingle funds; and
2) Westlaw is better now that Lexis doesn't give you more points.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Badactura posted:

I passed the bar recently, so I'm doomed. Just wanted to say thanks to blarghz I think for explaining hearsay rule exceptions to me like two years ago itt.

rip

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Partner is considering bankruptcy on the advice of a lawyer due to her criminal ex husband wracking up huge amounts of debt in their name, potentially lots more she doesn’t know about. Partner has no debt and pretty standard assets (savings, 401k, vehicles) for a middle aged person.

Lawyer makes it seem like it’s not a huge deal, but feels like something that means we’ll never be able to buy a house in the future?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Partner is considering bankruptcy on the advice of a lawyer due to her criminal ex husband wracking up huge amounts of debt in their name, potentially lots more she doesn’t know about. Partner has no debt and pretty standard assets (savings, 401k, vehicles) for a middle aged person.

Lawyer makes it seem like it’s not a huge deal, but feels like something that means we’ll never be able to buy a house in the future?

Nobody in here cares unless “partner” is this person’s title at a law firm

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
What Phil Assholowitz means is there's a legal questions thread in A/T for legal questions.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BigHead posted:

What Phil Assholowitz means is there's a legal questions thread in A/T for legal questions.

That is a much more helpful response. Thanks!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Badactura posted:

Dopn't put your mistakes on my head you did this to yourself

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Dopn't put your mistakes on my head you did this to yourself

Can't believe you would do this to them

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Hey maybe I'll find a legal career fulfilling?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Badactura posted:

Toona seems to like his job.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Which one?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

GrandmaParty posted:

It took 5 jobs I hated until I got here though. And the broke rear end non-profit life isn’t for everyone.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Badactura posted:

yes.

maybe.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It is fun when you do work with pop-culture stuff and see the results of work online and in other media.

Also "fun" to breathe a sigh of relief when you realize that the latest person cancelled or scandal doesn't affect any of your clients.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

GrandmaParty posted:

But now I have to do Uber eats for weed money.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
A former colleague decided to take his own life in his office last week. Check in on your people, reach out if you think someone is struggling. If you need someone, feel free to reach out or call 988.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

A former colleague decided to take his own life in his office last week. Check in on your people, reach out if you think someone is struggling. If you need someone, feel free to reach out or call 988.

gently caress.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
For all you attorneys who went in-house, what percent of your work hours equate to billable hours at a firm?

My employer decided not to hire another attorney and instead would rather farm things out to OC, and I’m trying to wrap my head around just how loving dumb of a decision this is, financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

secular woods sex posted:

For all you attorneys who went in-house, what percent of your work hours equate to billable hours at a firm?

My employer decided not to hire another attorney and instead would rather farm things out to OC, and I’m trying to wrap my head around just how loving dumb of a decision this is, financially.

Id say around 80%
Pretty much everything I do that isn't handling outside counsel invoices or conference participation would be billable if I were outside counsel
It's not really a good comparison because we have our admin and people management stuff and law firm lawyers have theirs, which are not very comparable