Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I threw them cash for a long time and I really enjoyed a handful of their WLMs (Fellowship is a standout), but the rest of their extended stuff wasn't doing it. No context for Melro90210, the Obi-Wan/Boba Fett/Mandalorian stuff seemed like an exercise in self harm, and don't have a lot of context for Star Trek stuff (even though their Picard impression is very funny).

Eh, they got a decent amount of money from me and they deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That's basically how I feel on it, I started in with them when they all still had real jobs too. Hope it helped get them over that hump.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't think they came away negative on it, they just had some screenplay issues? They're not wrong in that a whole lot of interesting ideas are yadda-yaddaed to get through to the endpoint, which all of them liked the concept of.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Again, I haven't listened to it, but I'm assuming they just weren't getting the subtext of what was going on in that episode, unless it was about the Dominion war as a whole? For the plot of it, well.. Garak didn't do anything but manipulate Sisko and plant a bomb. Everything else he says is pretty much just BS. He had the rod all along, he used the gel to make organic explosives that would evade detection by the Romulans, he never contacted anyone on Cardassia.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Justin Credible posted:

Again, I haven't listened to it, but I'm assuming they just weren't getting the subtext of what was going on in that episode, unless it was about the Dominion war as a whole? For the plot of it, well.. Garak didn't do anything but manipulate Sisko and plant a bomb. Everything else he says is pretty much just BS. He had the rod all along, he used the gel to make organic explosives that would evade detection by the Romulans, he never contacted anyone on Cardassia.

They mostly hated the story telling device of Sisko talking to the camera the whole episode, "Ferris Bueller style" (their words), and thought it could have been cut to show more of what was going on in some other scenes.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Pops Mgee posted:

The Dunston execution bit going straight into the Ernest execution bit had me in tears good god.

Tell me about the rabbits vern

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Try to save Christmas now, you son of a bitch"

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

thrawn527 posted:

They mostly hated the story telling device of Sisko talking to the camera the whole episode, "Ferris Bueller style" (their words), and thought it could have been cut to show more of what was going on in some other scenes.

Ah, gotcha. Fair enough. One thing along those lines I do think the episode sorely lacked was a reaction shot from Garak when Sisko is threatening to have the forger tortured to death, I picture him (and the actor too, really, Robinson does the character really well) being intensely pleased he gets to see Sisko snap like that.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Even then, it felt like Steve really didn't like it, and Andrew and Eric eventually agreed with him, as opposed to them all being bothered by it from the get go.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
The best part about the Long Kiss Goodnight (which is completely worth everyone’s time) is the waterwheel scene that was obviously supposed to be in Cutthroat Island.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Honestly huge laugh about the no beak bird fight loser

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Mixed feelings about the soundboard stuff in the GG. I don’t mind the occasional alarm sound and stuff but then pausing after every joke so canned audience laughter can play is getting annoying.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

BigglesSWE posted:

Mixed feelings about the soundboard stuff in the GG. I don’t mind the occasional alarm sound and stuff but then pausing after every joke so canned audience laughter can play is getting annoying.

*hits alarm sound on this post*

I kid, I kid. The triangle of sadness guy who I am too lazy to look up was great because they were specific lengths and the guys could play off them. But the applause/laughter ones are a little too ambiguous and I think affect the flow. But love or hate it, I do admire Eric for utterly committing to a bit

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BigglesSWE posted:

I completely agree. The alarms were funny, especially as a way to gently caress with Chris. But I'm over the canned laughter. It kills the momentum.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Eric needs to commit to the bit for at least another 18 months to really wrap around on the build of annoying thing happening over and over again until it wraps around on being funny again because its been going on for so long it needs to become absurd.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I feel like this is an arc that will last two or three months for the obsessed with letterman GG eric character that has been birthed from the bacta

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
If nothing else, no two GG episodes in this "arc" are alike, it keeps changing from month to month. That's refreshing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

We’ll be wishing for the sound board when we hit the doldrums of the FF-tier Star Wars characters.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I have no idea how Ape-ril became Unique Sex Scene Month but here we are

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I am 100% sure the "21 year olds on twitter" they complained about absolutely don't exist. Everyone who's 21 at this point is desperate for a nipple to be shown in a marvel movie for at least half a second

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Deleter posted:

I am 100% sure the "21 year olds on twitter" they complained about absolutely don't exist. Everyone who's 21 at this point is desperate for a nipple to be shown in a marvel movie for at least half a second

All of the ratcheting down on language and sexuality in recent years are 100% the result of a double teaming of advertising appeasement and desperately groveling to Chinese censorship/standards. The general public is down for cursing and titties, but the capitalism is pushing for neo-Victorianism.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Those people absolutely do exist on Twitter. I couldn't tell you the age range but they are there.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I have seen and dunked on said nerds on twitter can confirm.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Twitter isn’t a good metric because fuckin weirdos that get way more exposure than they deserve use Twitter and not that many people actually use it compared to say Facebook.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BigglesSWE posted:

I totally get it

But as someone who watched Late Show with David Letterman obsessively from 1994-1997 or so, I'm lovin' it, and completely loving lost it when they brought in the glass-break sound effect

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

Twitter isn’t a good metric because fuckin weirdos that get way more exposure than they deserve use Twitter and not that many people actually use it compared to say Facebook.

I have it on good authority that young people don't use Facebook anymore. At my last company, about 3 years ago, we hired a college kid to be our "social media intern". After a while we found out she didn't use Facebook at all. We were a little confused, since she was our person for social media engagement, but she said, for the company, she uses one of those services that posts to all social media sites, so whatever, fine. But when we asked why she doesn't use Facebook herself, just out of curiosity, she said, "I mean, no one I know uses it, unless we want to check on what Grandma is doing, or something." That one stung.

There was also a Daily Show segment a few weeks back, when Hasan Minhaj was guest hosting, and he was interviewing a group of kids about what matters to them, and he asked about Twitter. One of them said something like, "I think it's going to die soon, the same way Facebook died." And all the other kids nodded their heads in agreement. Not "dying". Died.

Facebook is for the olds, now. And yes, that includes me.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Facebook is completely unusable these days. Over half my feed is suggestions and posts from poo poo I don’t follow.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's all about discord now and uh peach? is peach still cool? nah that died.

I also need to finish building out my neocities website. i really gotta finish that before twitter dies.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know what kids use since I’m old but I’m pretty sure it ain’t Tiktok since old people caught on either.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Listening to the old Every Which Way but Loose in anticipation of the sequel.

1 - Always funny to hear how young Andrew sounds. The rest of the guys don't change much. Maybe it's all the smoking of green stuff.
2 - The plot of this movie is insane.
3 - My mind is blown learning this was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year it was released and when adjusted for inflation, this is one of the top 250 grossing films of all time

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
All social media will die and most of it is useless anyway.

I guess social media is pretty cool if you want to find someone who hates you for your race or preferences, though

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Highly disappointed in Andrew's unchecked apism where he repeatedly refers to orangutans as chimpanzees this episode.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Tato posted:

Listening to the old Every Which Way but Loose in anticipation of the sequel.

1 - Always funny to hear how young Andrew sounds. The rest of the guys don't change much. Maybe it's all the smoking of green stuff.
2 - The plot of this movie is insane.
3 - My mind is blown learning this was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year it was released and when adjusted for inflation, this is one of the top 250 grossing films of all time

It also makes me miss the days where they would drop lines or the theme song into the episode. That theme for EWWBT was atrocious but it was worth it to hear their reaction.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

GPTribefan posted:

It also makes me miss the days where they would drop lines or the theme song into the episode. That theme for EWWBT was atrocious but it was worth it to hear their reaction.

What if our hearts got a little bit hazy? Blame It On Rio!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm a big supporter of the guys but the fact that this is the only podcast I really listen to anymore is wearing on me. Spymate episode felt lifeless/listless/forgettable (with some good stuff peppered throughout). I'll probably end my Patreon support the end of next month and come back to them in the future. Been eating too much ice cream lately, as it were, and now I'm getting sick of ice cream.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm a big supporter of the guys but the fact that this is the only podcast I really listen to anymore is wearing on me. Spymate episode felt lifeless/listless/forgettable (with some good stuff peppered throughout). I'll probably end my Patreon support the end of next month and come back to them in the future. Been eating too much ice cream lately, as it were, and now I'm getting sick of ice cream.

This is what I did for pretty much the same reason; none of the patreon specific series' are particularly engaging to me at the moment and I was falling behind on the shows on the free feed as it was.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait for this month to be over. There have been some good eps, but watching this many ape/chimp/monkey movies has been driving me bananas.

I think it’s healthy to think of Patreon subs like streaming services when there is extra content to be had. It’s easy enough to dip in and out to when stuff you like pops up and you can pick and choose from the stuff that was released in between. I do that with the Blank Check podcast. Mostly because it’s hard to watch commentaries all the way through without pausing and getting out of sync when I have the time to do that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t know what kids use since I’m old but I’m pretty sure it ain’t Tiktok since old people caught on either.

I was impressed how fast Tiktok went from the thing teenagers/young people used to like, just total quackery shilling and "lifehacks" that make zero loving sense and stuff. Like it very very quickly became Facebook for young people in that respect.

They're right about Twitter, that was a the place for awhile until uh certain recent changes lmao. I killed my Facebook account awhile ago partially because literally no one my age that I would want to interact with used it (and I'm like 42 now so it's not like I'm particularly young). It really did start to skew hilariously older but it was just in that more recent time that it really stood out ot me how useless the platform was for me because of how it's intended to work.

But Twitter I did stick around with because that was a lot easier to curate and just from being present on there I was even getting some work through it, had some cool circles of folks/etc. Was able to kepe the fine line of being exposed to new people/stuff without too much dogshit.

But eventually I killed that too because Twitter's own issue to me was how much it gets everyone to think that they're a brand and not a person, and you could feel the transition in people going from posting real stuff to everything they post being "on brand" and that switch from like hey I'm having a conversation with this person to huh this person has more followers now and it's suddenly a weird parasocial thing.

Anyway I was using Twitter a lot less by that point so a lot it made it pretty easy to kill my account not long after Musk bought it and started fine tuning it so that you can't shut out the shittiest people on it

So the only online socializing I use now besides this board is Discord and occasionally Mastodon to look for some stuff. But even Discord, my partner and I just run a private server for our friends to shoot the poo poo and stream cool stuff in so I guess not I'm even really using Discord "correctly" but it feels a lot better this way lol

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

GPTribefan posted:

What is this nonsense, that song rules. Jupin's right, just throw it on while you're having your morning coffee and life is all right for 3 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had never seen The Long Kiss Goodnight before last night and while it's got some issues holy cow what an awesome dumb action movie it is. The last action set piece is fantastic!