Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheWevel posted:

I hope you weren't planning on using CarPlay or Android Auto with it.

My use case scenario for CarPlay is navigation and emergency conference, so if the car infotainment can handle teams, webex and zoom maybe I could do without but I'm skeptical on long term availability of the integrations (like all devices that had Skype or Facebook hardwired in the os and were killed once the api changed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

General Motors is doing away with Android Auto and Apple Carplay in their EVs, and the first model with this exciting new change will be the Equinox.

I believe their plan is to charge you every month for it.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

SlowBloke posted:

My use case scenario for CarPlay is navigation and emergency conference, so if the car infotainment can handle teams, webex and zoom maybe I could do without but I'm skeptical on long term availability of the integrations (like all devices that had Skype or Facebook hardwired in the os and were killed once the api changed).

The Ultium vehicles will be using Android Automotive so I guess the big question would be if the Android Automotive app store will have them for download.

edit:

cruft posted:

Probably data mining plus subscription fees.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 10, 2023

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

cruft posted:

General Motors is doing away with Android Auto and Apple Carplay in their EVs, and the first model with this exciting new change will be the Equinox.

That is exciting!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I assume we’re already paying something for the carmakers to have Apple and Android CarPlay in our cars; this merely shifts the costs and changes the experience. And of course it could end up totally sucking.

But I don’t entirely blame the carmakers for wanting to avoid becoming cellphone makers and being held hostage to the duopoly of iOS and Android ecosystems.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I assume we’re already paying something for the carmakers to have Apple and Android CarPlay in our cars; this merely shifts the costs and changes the experience. And of course it could end up totally sucking.

But I don’t entirely blame the carmakers for wanting to avoid becoming cellphone makers and being held hostage to the duopoly of iOS and Android ecosystems.

I would almost be willing to accept this argument if GM weren't replacing it with Android Automotive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

Can't recall the source but this was a quote from it when this discussion came up initially.

quote:

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto systems allow users to mirror their smartphone screens in a vehicle's dashboard display.

GM's decision to stop offering those systems in future electric vehicles, starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer, could help the automaker capture more data on how consumers drive and charge EVs.

"We do believe there are subscription revenue opportunities for us," Kummer said. GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is aiming for $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by 2030.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That Works posted:

Can't recall the source but this was a quote from it when this discussion came up initially.

Thanks for the correction. I just fell asleep at my desk, maybe I need to stop trying to do important things for the day.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029498 for those of you who want to watch me hump a motorcycle conversion across a finish line into an actual usable piece of transport equipment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

Thanks for the correction. I just fell asleep at my desk, maybe I need to stop trying to do important things for the day.

I think you got it right

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Google service that is completely different from Android Auto is named Android Auto(motive)

My car has Android Automotive and it’s fine but is so starved for apps that I have to use CarPlay just to get to Pandora.

Brony Radio featuring PonyvilleFM made the cut, though

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Pandora missing from almost all the places in cars is weird to me since they were bought by siriusXM so they should have those relationships already.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That Works posted:

I think you got it right

Well, except they're starting with the Blazer and not Equinox. I dunno. I can't even be right at being right. I need to get to bed early tonight.

Anyway the larger point is that GM plans to deliberately crap things up as a way of getting more money out of you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Well, except they're starting with the Blazer and not Equinox. I dunno. I can't even be right at being right. I need to get to bed early tonight.

Anyway the larger point is that GM plans to deliberately crap things up as a way of getting more money out of you.

Lol I didn’t even notice don’t feel bad at all

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

EVs accounted for 5% of new car sales, not total car sales. It was also a weird year with lots of supply chain issues disrupting ICE sales.

In any case 5% isn’t mass adoption. It’s accelerating but it’s very optimistic to expect that the trend will continue apace. Things could easily stall out once the market of people who can easily charge at home is saturated.

I think the market is just ridiculously skewed towards certain types of consumers, I live and work in two centrally located, upper income neighborhoods and both are just absolutely crawling with EVs. Like, it makes sense, upper-middle class neighborhood of single family homes that is highly attractive to people that work in or near the CBD.

An entire ecosystem can exist within certain communities that isn't reflected in the overall market.

If you have a six figure income in Dallas, an EV is a no-brainer, you are going to have a sizable chunk of the market that isn't considering anything but an EV, whatever the gently caress is going on in Iowa has no baring on the local market.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

I think the market is just ridiculously skewed towards certain types of consumers, I live and work in two centrally located, upper income neighborhoods and both are just absolutely crawling with EVs. Like, it makes sense, upper-middle class neighborhood of single family homes that is highly attractive to people that work in or near the CBD.

An entire ecosystem can exist within certain communities that isn't reflected in the overall market.

If you have a six figure income in Dallas, an EV is a no-brainer, you are going to have a sizable chunk of the market that isn't considering anything but an EV, whatever the gently caress is going on in Iowa has no baring on the local market.

Yes, that’s my point, it’s a fairly targeted market currently. The problem with assuming that charging infrastructure will naturally improve with expanding EV adoption is that if EV adoption is largely expanding within a specific set of well off homeowners then charging infrastructure will probably be built to cater to them which doesn’t really help to push EV ownership out of its bubble.

Infrastructure needs to be built ahead of demand for people who need to charge at apartments or condos or workplaces or streetside. It’s a precursor to demand expanding in those markets. And I’m skeptical that anyone other than the government is going to take that on.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yes, that’s my point, it’s a fairly targeted market currently. The problem with assuming that charging infrastructure will naturally improve with expanding EV adoption is that if EV adoption is largely expanding within a specific set of well off homeowners then charging infrastructure will probably be built to cater to them which doesn’t really help to push EV ownership out of its bubble.

Infrastructure needs to be built ahead of demand for people who need to charge at apartments or condos or workplaces or streetside. It’s a precursor to demand expanding in those markets. And I’m skeptical that anyone other than the government is going to take that on.

The thing is, only upper income people can afford to buy new cars now. It's not a EV thing, the average new car payment is like $700 and new cars are so expensive to fix that the insurance is insane as well, especially if you aren't a married homeowner with good credit and a clean driving record, which, again, self-selects for upper-income households even more.

Just wait a few years as EVs really start to penetrate the used car market, people won't be as freaked out about reliability, there will be an inventory of cheap parts from cars that will inevitably be totaled out, ICE cars will look much less reliable compared to EVs.

I've lived this market, my intention was always to replace my i3 with a 2021 used Mach-E when the battery warranty expired, a lot of things converged to make buying a brand new Mach-E actually make much more financial sense than buying a used car, but 4 years from now I'm probably looking at a used EQE or iX and not a new car.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

The thing is, only upper income people can afford to buy new cars now. It's not a EV thing, the average new car payment is like $700 and new cars are so expensive to fix that the insurance is insane as well, especially if you aren't a married homeowner with good credit and a clean driving record, which, again, self-selects for upper-income households even more.

Just wait a few years as EVs really start to penetrate the used car market, people won't be as freaked out about reliability, there will be an inventory of cheap parts from cars that will inevitably be totaled out, ICE cars will look much less reliable compared to EVs.

It doesn’t matter how inexpensive the car is if you’ve got nowhere to charge it other than public DCFC chargers that are expensive and inconvenient. If I’m debating between a 20k used RAV4 and a 20k used Mach-E and I live in an apartment where I can’t charge that’s going to make it pretty hard to choose the Mach-E. And landlords aren’t going to rush out to spend their own money adding sufficient charging capacity to their buildings.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My friend works for a company that is doing street lamp charge point installations in the UK. It's not government, though there's certainly government grants and such that allow them to do it. But outside of setting a mandate of "we want all cars to be replaced by electric", the main government involvement is just funding people who come up with good ideas on how to accomplish that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Where I live, there's a lot of poor/gig workers in leafs. Soon they'll be in Bolts and Model 3 SRs.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It doesn’t matter how inexpensive the car is if you’ve got nowhere to charge it other than public DCFC chargers that are expensive and inconvenient. If I’m debating between a 20k used RAV4 and a 20k used Mach-E and I live in an apartment where I can’t charge that’s going to make it pretty hard to choose the Mach-E. And landlords aren’t going to rush out to spend their own money adding sufficient charging capacity to their buildings.

I guess this is more a regional thing, but there are a huge number of urban single family homes in major US cities across the income spectrum. There are 18 homes on my block at $300+ a sqft and I have the only EV, neighbor across the street just bought a 3 year old BMW 540i, easy to see that being a i5 next time.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Stultus Maximus posted:

Isn’t that more about cobalt than lithium reduction?

not really but also sort of. LFP is a really durable chemistry of lithium batteries and very safe when poked.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Sounds like Walmart is planning on rolling out its own charging network https://archive.is/20230406132059/https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2023/04/06/walmart-ev-charging/. Guess they're also disappointed in how EA has been working out.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wargames posted:

not really but also sort of. LFP is a really durable chemistry of lithium batteries and very safe when poked.

I look for LFP to become more popular.. What is not to like about it?

• Its cheaper to produce
  • WAY safer (thermal runaway way less likely)
  • Much higher cycle life than other chemistries used in EVs.
  • Doesn't require nickel or cobalt
  • Doesn't mind being charged to and sitting at 100%.

Rivian announced they are switching to LFP entirely. Tesla appears to be committed to it as well.

It does have some downsides, but they are manageable; It has lower energy density and is more sensitive to cold temps than NMC. Though these may very well not be an issue in the future.

It is also becoming the chemistry of choice to replace lead-acid batteries in some applications.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Where I live, there's a lot of poor/gig workers in leafs. Soon they'll be in Bolts and Model 3 SRs.

I touched on it in a long rambling post, but I have free charging at work and there are a ton of ratty old Leaves, and a collection of other weird older used EVs, Souls, Ford and VW compliance cars, a couple i3s, an old EV SMART, EVs are going to be MASSIVELY popular on the used market, especially among people that can only afford older, more maintenance intensive cars, but can't do work on them in their apartment complex.

Once they have a reliable means of charging at least.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well... drat...

The BECM totally poo poo the bed on my Volt and now it won't move at all. I now have a garage paperweight until the part comes in. Been waiting 3 weeks now. It will likely end up being 2-3 months. Ugh.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

stevewm posted:

I look for LFP to become more popular.. What is not to like about it?

• Its cheaper to produce
  • WAY safer (thermal runaway way less likely)
  • Much higher cycle life than other chemistries used in EVs.
  • Doesn't require nickel or cobalt
  • Doesn't mind being charged to and sitting at 100%.

Rivian announced they are switching to LFP entirely. Tesla appears to be committed to it as well.

It does have some downsides, but they are manageable; It has lower energy density and is more sensitive to cold temps than NMC. Though these may very well not be an issue in the future.

It is also becoming the chemistry of choice to replace lead-acid batteries in some applications.

New Mercedes eSprinter is also LiFePO4 (LFP).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chevy sent a market survey out so I answered "don't care about infotainment, loving carplay/android auto" as much as possible.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Chevrolet values your feedback. However, the results of our internal survey show you'd like it a lot more if you paid us every month to steal all your data.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't know if the typical vehicles that GM typically shits out on the regular are a result of listening to, ignoring, or completely misinterpreting the results of customer surveys.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I kind of hate to say this, but Carplay is, not great. It's tons better than most infotainment systems when it came out, but it is extremely limited and the interface is, eh...

If GM/Google is really committed to building out a robust eco system around Android Automotive and able to deliver some really great app experiences, I don't think people will miss Carplay much, it's really not feature rich, at least currently, and the more integrated version is still away off and mostly vaporware right now.

Honestly, I only use Carplay for Spotify and Pocketcast, Ford's native mapping system is great (Probably aligned with a lot of work that went into LiDAR maping) and the new SiriusXM system is good and something that I use far more often than Carplay audio.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I kind of hate to say this, but Carplay is, not great. It's tons better than most infotainment systems when it came out, but it is extremely limited and the interface is, eh...

If GM/Google is really committed to building out a robust eco system around Android Automotive and able to deliver some really great app experiences, I don't think people will miss Carplay much, it's really not feature rich, at least currently, and the more integrated version is still away off and mostly vaporware right now.

Honestly, I only use Carplay for Spotify and Pocketcast, Ford's native mapping system is great (Probably aligned with a lot of work that went into LiDAR maping) and the new SiriusXM system is good and something that I use far more often than Carplay audio.

I think the objection might largely be that currently you don't have to tithe to Chevrolet in order to have a map on your screen, and going forward, you will.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It sounds like Apple has some pretty big plans for carplay going forward so it may see some big improvements in the future. Meanwhile most legacy systems will be locked behind upgrades that you have to pay for under the guise of “map updates”

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Three Olives posted:

Look, I need cash quickly, otherwise I wouldn't be offering you this EV-only bridge at such a great price. How quickly can you come up with 42,069 Great British Pounds?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

The built in nav is by Garmin, it’s using their maps and nav data. I’ll take gMaps. If ford would update CarPlay to use multi screen so nav info showed up on the driver display it would be perfect, alas they will probably do something dumb instead, much like GM.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

cruft posted:

I think the objection might largely be that currently you don't have to tithe to Chevrolet in order to have a map on your screen, and going forward, you will.

Yeah, I just don't know that "things cost money" is as much of a compelling argument at this point as people think, I mean, I pay for Spotify AND YouTube Premium just because I think the YouTube Music app sucks, oh, also SiriusXM because sometimes I just want to put on trash selected for me.

There is certainly subscription fatigue going on but I don't know that it overlaps with buyers of $40K cars that much, at least for now if they are going to provide a good system.

But legitimate ableist arguments aside, I'm not even sure that feature rich infotainment systems are a good idea at all and ambient focused experience driven by voice might be a better way to go in general.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The built in nav is by Garmin, it’s using their maps and nav data. I’ll take gMaps. If ford would update CarPlay to use multi screen so nav info showed up on the driver display it would be perfect, alas they will probably do something dumb instead, much like GM.

Apple Maps can put directions on the driver display but I'm guessing gMaps is locked out. I mean, it's all bullshit lock-in, we are just have some limited consumer choice.

Also, without going into detail, gMaps has been doing some really creepy poo poo involving my work movement data and I am pretty sure the algorithm has drawn some very untrue conclusions about me based on it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, I just don't know that "things cost money" is as much of a compelling argument at this point as people think

I feel like I haven't communicated well enough why I'm even bringing this up. Let me try again:

It sucks.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I finally just got a car with Apple CarPlay after years of goons saying that it’s so amazing they won’t even consider a car without it.

It’s like, pretty okay? The map on a the screen is neat, but hasn’t really been actually useful yet.

The thing I use it for most is controlling my podcasts and the interface for it is actively worse than the phone experience, not wanting to actually play my next podcast without navigating all the way back to my shows, scrolling down to the one I want then selecting it and selecting the next episode. About 90% of the time I have to hit pause then play again to get it to actually start.

Fast forwarding and rewinding with my car controls instead of phone is super nice though.

I cannot imagine having it as a consideration in my next vehicle purchase, much less a deal breaker.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Until the car I’m buying has native support for waze, carplay is a 100% must have.

I need to know where the state troopers are at on my commute.

No I am not just going to “drive the speed limit”