Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
At least he isn't posting his workout logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I love how Oblivion (2013) starts with the stereotypical Hollywood sci-fi movie monologue that explains the entire backstory because they don't trust the audience to figure anything out by themselves, only to then subvert it by revealing that the whole thing was a lie. Telling instead of showing and then showing that what you told was wrong. I love it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I remember hating Oblivion, but I can't remember why. Was it well liked, generally? Maybe I should give it another go. I can't even remember what the plot twist was about.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Are you an effective team?

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

credburn posted:

I remember hating Oblivion, but I can't remember why. Was it well liked, generally? Maybe I should give it another go. I can't even remember what the plot twist was about.

I loved it. The biggest thing against it is my general dislike of Tom Cruise, no matter how good of an actor he is.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The subtle movie moment in Oblivion is having Tom Cruise standing on platforms whenever he's having scenes with Olga Kurylenko.

Because he's so much shorter. :v:

I liked Oblivion a'ight. Having M83 do the score was :discourse:.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If I remember right, the 3rd Act was kinda weak compared to the first two. Not terrible, just fine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah the 3rd act when the twist was revealed just didn't stick the landing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
An actually subtle thing I liked about Oblivion was how the giant space triangle looked like it was covered with Widmanstätten patterns, like you get in nickel-iron meteorites

Subtle because, if that's what they were going for, it's a hint to the true origin of the giant space triangle

Phy has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 4, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Phy posted:

An actually subtle thing I liked about Oblivion was how the giant space triangle looked like it was covered with Widmanstätten patterns, like you get in nickel-iron meteorites

That makes me think of the Interstellar tesseract too

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Android Apocalypse posted:

The subtle movie moment in Oblivion is having Tom Cruise standing on platforms whenever he's having scenes with Olga Kurylenko.

Because he's so much shorter. :v:

I liked Oblivion a'ight. Having M83 do the score was :discourse:.

Oblivion is low key a fantastic movie with a fantastic score.

Lol at Jamie Lannister appearing randomly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GenSpecific posted:

I loved it. The biggest thing against it is my general dislike of Tom Cruise, no matter how good of an actor he is.

The dichotomy of Cruise. I've enjoyed every film of his I've watched, but he also seems to be such a knob.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I liked oblivion, the only thing to hate about it is the standard Hollywood poo poo where survivors are a bunch of models with artistic smudges of makeup to denote post apoc

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Oblivion was great and had just pure *vibes* that only M83 can supply. My friend I saw it with hated it though. Usually our tastes were very in sync.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
M83 is great, but Oblivion was right in the middle of that period where all sci-fi had to have a shyamalan twist. Ugh.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oblivion was good but the fact that (big spoiler) they never showed any of the invasion of cruise cloneswas such a lost opportunity.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Obviously intentional, but I found it amusing that in this dumbass movie Stagknight (2007) this old lady appears to be composing a letter but the only thing on her screen is Newgrounds

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just watched the first episode of Justified.

At the end of the episode somebody hostile offers Raylan fried chicken. He eats it with his left hand because he doesn't want grease on the fingers of his shooting hand.

I'm a little 'meh' on the show, but I'll give it another episode or two.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

deoju posted:

Just watched the first episode of Justified.

At the end of the episode somebody hostile offers Raylan fried chicken. He eats it with his left hand because he doesn't want grease on the fingers of his shooting hand.

First season is super procedural, dumb criminal of the week stuff that's solidly entertaining but not much more. After that it gets a lot more serialized with season long villains and way more Boyd action.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

deoju posted:

The strength of Elmore Leonard is little stories about dirtbags doing dirtbag schemes that fall apart for dirtbag reason. That is sprinkled throughout Justified, but the show really is the Raylan Givens soap opera.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

First season is super procedural, dumb criminal of the week stuff that's solidly entertaining but not much more. After that it gets a lot more serialized with season long villains and way more Boyd action.

Yeah, this. The first season is okay but nothing stellar. They really hit their stride in the second season with the move to big season long story arcs.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Nthing all this, it's absolutely worth watching the whole show.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I really enjoyed Justified. The villains in each season are always really interesting and well rounded characters

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, watch it all. Season 2 is especially phenomenal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I really enjoyed Justified. The villains in each season are always really interesting and well rounded characters

Agreed. I'm not finished the show (still haven't seen the final season), but Quarles seemed Bond-villain-lite, especially with that contraption. Not a complaint, it was awesome.

Neal McDonough sells the gently caress out of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Except when it’s Michael Rapaport trying to play a Florida Man. But that season is balanced out by the presence of Alicia Witt.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

First season does have the Robert Picardo episode where he's an art collector buying up Hitler's paintings to burn them and store the ashes in little glass jars to spite the memory of his shithead Nazi father

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Justified was great, really felt like everyone involved had a blast making it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Poldarn posted:

The strength of Elmore Leonard is little stories about dirtbags doing dirtbag schemes that fall apart for dirtbag reason. That is sprinkled throughout Justified, but the show really is the Raylan Givens soap opera.

its remarkable how faithful it is to the spirit of Leonard’s writing while adapting almost none of it. the platonic ideal of a spiritual adaptation. even the dialogue feels right out of his books

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Dragonstoned posted:

Sarah Conner Chronicles did something along those lines, where one gets sent back to the 1920's and sets up a businesses that will later become important (think it killed someone by accident in the time travel mishap and that person needed to ~do something important~ so the robot made a fake identity and did the ~important thing~ itself) and when its all set up, it just hides in a wall until it's time for its original mission to take place 80 years later.

E: Looking into it a little further, the robots original plan was to "assassinate the governor of California in 2010" - which would have been Arnold Schwarzenegger

He also did all the drums on their first album :D

He was also the Sasquatch in the TV show. Best song of the series, too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Justified has a good subtle moment.

In the episode where They're trying to find the killer who lets his victims try to grab the gun then he ice picks their hand to the table and then shoots them, at some point he steals a cab to get away. When Givens is walking into his motel room you can see an out of focus cab in the background, easy to miss. Then of course the killer is in his room already.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I gotta finish Justified. I fell off around season 4 (is that the skydiver one?) because I had a kid, and that was... Almost 9 years ago :corsair:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Phy posted:

First season does have the Robert Picardo episode where he's an art collector buying up Hitler's paintings to burn them and store the ashes in little glass jars to spite the memory of his shithead Nazi father

This is one of only two scenes I've seen of the entire show. The other being the shootout with the guy from two posts above mine. I should probably watch the show...after I finish the last season of The Expanse.

... And watch The Wire again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just finally watched most of Mystery Men. Lots to love about it, but I think the ending is my favourite- the heroes have saved the day and finally get recognition from a bunch of media, and they all really just want to thank the little guys and get on their way and get some rest, possibly in a hospital, because they're tired and beat up and just glad to have all that poo poo over with so they can get on with another day.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mystery Men is great and if it had come out just five years later it would have smashed box office records

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Was that secretly directed by Tim Burton? I feel like I've heard that from multiple sources. None reliable, but independent of each other.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Arrath posted:

"Why is a wrestler driving a car, anyway?"

Because Vince McMahon is too stingy to pay for his employees travel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

Was that secretly directed by Tim Burton? I feel like I've heard that from multiple sources. None reliable, but independent of each other.

Nah, it's definitely taking inspiration from his Batman movies but the feel is very different. Very The Tick vibes more than anything.

On another note, Nope is full of these, but just noticed the bit where Em says if she sees that loving praying mantis again she's gonna eat it. As above, so below?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, it's definitely taking inspiration from his Batman movies but the feel is very different. Very The Tick vibes more than anything.

Not surprising because both The Tick and Mystery Men started as indy comics in the late 80's/early 90's, so they both have that vibe of "let's satirize a lot of the tropes and plotlines of Silver Age comics."

I don't think they ever crossed paths, but Mystery Men are part of the Flaming Carrot universe, and Flaming Carrot crossed-over with the OG TMNT comics, so the Mystery Men movie might take place in the same universe as the TMNT movies, and we'd never know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr Furious and the Waffler would fit right in with Casey Jones.