Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If the internet has taught me anything, it's that irony posters become true believers 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

BrewingTea posted:

They say the best revenge is living well.

Maybe you crypto guys should get on that, at some point

How can I enjoy my millions, fleet of luxury cars, multiple mansions, and super model harem when there's people on an old forum laughing??

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

If the internet has taught me anything, it's that irony posters become true believers 100% of the time.

irony is a heavy metal, chronic exposure may lead to toxicity

drk
Jan 16, 2005
from the vc crew still trying to convince people web3 is a thing

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1645892165975908352

also, let me be the first to say: eew

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

EMoney posted:

riot quick to the punch with a loving awesome retort to the NYT FUD hit piece from yesterday

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...Falsehoods.html

Riot up 27% since it came out

Swing and a miss

Thought you were talking about the LoL/Valorant company. There's too many bitcoin companies. Please eliminate 3. I am not a nutcase.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Neito posted:

Thought you were talking about the LoL/Valorant company. There's too many bitcoin companies. Please eliminate 3. I am not a nutcase.

why stop at 3? if they eliminate any company with "bit" or "coin" in the name we'd be down to a manageble number

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

drk posted:

from the vc crew still trying to convince people web3 is a thing

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1645892165975908352

also, let me be the first to say: eew

aaaahhhhh!

edit: AAAAAAHHHHHH!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Speaking of Riot.

https://twitter.com/RiotPlatforms/status/1645473961004892162

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
There is a business opportunity here to sell carbon offsets to bitcoin minors whereby you simply promise not to mine any bitcoin.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And then you mine Ethereum.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Boxturret posted:

why stop at 3? if they eliminate any company with "bit" or "coin" in the name we'd be down to a manageble number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5dmxBUbzBU

schmendric
Mar 26, 2012

JagGator posted:

There is a business opportunity here to sell carbon offsets to bitcoin minors whereby you simply promise not to mine any bitcoin.

Can we mint the offsets ourselves on our legitimate(tm) carbonNeutralCoin where we guarantee there are offsets, but you aren't allowed to audit? We'll be sure to use a proof of work blockchain that is also carbon offset neutral. :)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

schmendric posted:

Can we mint the offsets ourselves on our legitimate(tm) carbonNeutralCoin where we guarantee there are offsets, but you aren't allowed to audit? We'll be sure to use a proof of work blockchain that is also carbon offset neutral. :)

oh, oh, and each credit is also worth exactly 1USD, because it's the most stable financial unit in the world, so it makes Goon Carbon Neutral Coins extremely trustworthy and reliable

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've seen a lot of extremely dumb takes in bitcoin land but this is possibly the dumbest thing I've seen. Bitcoin mining has 0 emissions because you can't measure a jet of co2 shooting out of your computers? what the gently caress

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The coal industry does not contribute to global warming, as you can see here it is quite chilly in our mines

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Honestly, seeing these massive warehouses fully of screaming computers mining bitcoin kind of turns my stomach, so much pointless waste just for the people running it to make some money

I miss the home mining rig era :(

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

we didn't know how good we had it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
someone in the green thread once expressed bitcoin's energy usage in tons of coal per transaction and i had to go lie down for a little bit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

someone in the green thread once expressed bitcoin's energy usage in tons of coal per transaction and i had to go lie down for a little bit

I've posted a bunch of those calculations over the years but stopped when it became too depressing.

The current hashrate is 338m TH/s. The current best piece of hardware is 110 TH/s per 3250w.

That's, at minimum, 3 million pieces of hardware using 240m KWH/day, 87.48 billion KWH/year, or 36th on the list of countries by power usage, ahead of Finland, Belgium, or a shitload of other countries. It's about 1.12 pounds of coal per kWh, that's 97.98 billion pounds of coal per year.

The average block is 2500 transactions, 52,560 blocks a year, that's 131,400,000 transactions per year, 745 pounds of coal per transaction.

When i did this calculation in april 2018, each transaction was using 473kwh. By this calculation now, each transaction is using 666kwh because the amount of hardware in use has increased but transactions per block cannot.

This is, again, assuming everybody shut down their older, less efficient hardware and replaced it with the newest, most efficient models.

Forbes estimate is 127 TWH which puts each transaction at more than the monthly power usage of the average American house. https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/cryptocurrency/bitcoins-energy-usage-explained/

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 12, 2023

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Okay this is honestly the funniest loving thing. Wow. I can't tell if this guy is insanely stupid, he thinks everyone else is insanely stupid, or both

Also how he doesn't introduce himself and instead relies on a badge, high viz jacket and stupid loving hat to make himself look like some kind of authority instead of the incredible moron he appears to be

You couldn't write this kind of comedy, it's only lame enough to come from real life

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Play posted:

Wow. I can't tell if this guy is insanely stupid, he thinks everyone else is insanely stupid, or both

It's bitcoin, it's always both.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

"We've got a lot of plants here." [gestures to scrubby backlot that has a few grasses and weeds]

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

How… just how?!? :psyduck:

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

How… just how?!? :psyduck:

How coukd we be so wrong all this time!!!! bitcoin really doesnt emmit CO2???!!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Crime on a Dime posted:

Try Ondansetron, OP

If I'm gonna take drugs while playing video games, it's not gonna be this.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
RE: that video

We have weeds here (not even trees) and our computer isn’t generating CO2 measured at the GPU

Everything with Bitcoin is cynical bullshit, Jesus Christ.

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah it’s kinda wild how that happens

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

NYT: We present this exposé on how bitcoin's insane power draw is affecting the environment, reinforced with first and secondhand sources.

Riot: Here is a 6 point response explaining how not mad we are. Totally not mad. Read our response.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Their claim is basically that the Texas energy grid comes from a lot of renewable energy, so they can just ignore that aspect. From a quick search, the Texas grid is about 40% renewables, so just take Powershift's numbers and divide them in roughly half, and isn't that so much better?!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Their defense to the energy problem is 'we're just using a service available to any business; what it takes to service us is beyond our reckoning'. They're exploiting the lack of regulation as they are wont to do.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Their defense to the energy problem is 'we're just using a service available to any business; what it takes to service us is beyond our reckoning'. They're exploiting the lack of regulation as they are wont to do.

This is why they're in Texas in the first place

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Halibut Barn posted:

Their claim is basically that the Texas energy grid comes from a lot of renewable energy, so they can just ignore that aspect. From a quick search, the Texas grid is about 40% renewables, so just take Powershift's numbers and divide them in roughly half, and isn't that so much better?!

that poo poo wouldn't make sense even if they shut the miners off when the sun went down and all the solar went offline, and they absolutely are not doing that

don't worry though, given Texas' recent problems in providing enough power to satisfy demand, the state has a program where large power users can enter contracts where they get paid to turn off their stuff whenever the grid is threatened by lack of capacity. the crypto miners in texas worsen the problem by adding a completely unnecessary and unproductive load to the electrical grid, and then get paid to "solve" the problem by turning their poo poo off whenever it approaches a crisis.
https://twitter.com/onceuponA/status/1645476246657040386

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"My unregulated toxic waste disposal services has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my company's name 'Uncontrolled Discharge Inc.' why are you bothering us with these trivialities???"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hardcore climate activists should just do stuff to coin ops.

probably better RoI and less defended.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1646204568072601601?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

The grift continues

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sorry, but the funds for directors and officers insurance were used to gamble on high-risk, no reward cryptocurrencies. Surely one of those is bound to take off any day now.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Powershift posted:

I've posted a bunch of those calculations over the years but stopped when it became too depressing.

The current hashrate is 338m TH/s. The current best piece of hardware is 110 TH/s per 3250w.

That's, at minimum, 3 million pieces of hardware using 240m KWH/day, 87.48 billion KWH/year, or 36th on the list of countries by power usage, ahead of Finland, Belgium, or a shitload of other countries. It's about 1.12 pounds of coal per kWh, that's 97.98 billion pounds of coal per year.

The average block is 2500 transactions, 52,560 blocks a year, that's 131,400,000 transactions per year, 745 pounds of coal per transaction.

When i did this calculation in april 2018, each transaction was using 473kwh. By this calculation now, each transaction is using 666kwh because the amount of hardware in use has increased but transactions per block cannot.

This is, again, assuming everybody shut down their older, less efficient hardware and replaced it with the newest, most efficient models.

Forbes estimate is 127 TWH which puts each transaction at more than the monthly power usage of the average American house. https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/cryptocurrency/bitcoins-energy-usage-explained/

To add to this, adding machines to the blockchain doesn't make it more powerful, so the minimum power needed to provide the exact same functionality is the power of the weakest device that can successfully mine: A single NES.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1646220458042220545?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

i'm somewhat surprised that they actually bothered to obtain, and then remembered to pay the premiums for, the appropriate forms of corporate insurance

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

they probably just paid marsh or another big broker to do it, insurance companies make it very easy for you to give them money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

That can't be a real video. It can't be. It has to be a parody account. There is no way. :stare: