Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

WarpedLichen posted:

It seems hard to draw any conclusions from those numbers as presented in the article, since as far as I gathered it's just counting people in the work force and the pandemic decrease can simply be businesses closing down and unemployment going up instead of deaths. Likewise, the current numbers could be any number of things like another economic downturn due to sanctions or something.

Or even just young people leaving russia for other countties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not want to annex a country I explicitly said annexation to protect a minority population was part of my Casus Belli

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

Serbia next on the list of unfriendly countries?

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1646049412014125057

I recall Ukraine ended up with 4,000 Grad rockets from Serbia that were purchased by a third party (Canada I think) and sent to them. When Vucic heard the news, he publicly denied it, but publicly and behind closed doors is another matter

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/Bill_Linnane/status/1642770652477157378?s=20

Trying to find a better English source on it, however all I have is Swedish and focused on Absolut, specifically. I was curious to see how social media had taken if and

Cool. Can’t see a Swedish based brand in Sweden.

I’ll stick to Koskenkorva.

E: but other Pernod brands are getting dinged on IG, it seems, and people are NOT PLEASED.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 12, 2023

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Barudak posted:

I do not want to annex a country I explicitly said annexation to protect a minority population was part of my Casus Belli

I do not want to annex "any part of Ukraine" I say, after I have explicitly annexed the Donetsk and Luhansk regions and made them legally part of my own country.

Chances are Hersh does not actually follow events in Ukraine and is not aware that Russia fully annexed the territories recently.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Barudak posted:

No, no, you misunderstand. There's no such thing as "Ukraine". There's just Russia and Russian territories.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

All countries with credible statistics have unexplained excess death in all age groups still, even after taking reported covid deaths into account. It is not a problem. Don't think about it.
1.5 million young people is a lot, like I seriously don't think anywhere close to that could die if you did absolutely nothing about rona. But could be also emigration, quitting, etc.

zone posted:

I recall Ukraine ended up with 4,000 Grad rockets from Serbia that were purchased by a third party (Canada I think) and sent to them. When Vucic heard the news, he publicly denied it, but publicly and behind closed doors is another matter
Vucic also signed an EU peace proposal with Kosovo (or at least some part of it? I don't remember) and I think they were going to do some NATO exercises. Friendship is ended with Putin.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

teen witch posted:

Trying to find a better English source on it, however all I have is Swedish and focused on Absolut, specifically. I was curious to see how social media had taken if and

E: but other Pernod brands are getting dinged on IG, it seems, and people are NOT PLEASED.
I wish I could say I won't buy their products anymore, but I found that I already don't like any of their brands :shrug:

Peskov responds to that footage, it's the usual "it's fake yadda yadda"

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1646098349454393345

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 12, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The day after the moblization order went out and watching the truck load of planes outbound from Moscow on flighttracker but lets stick with covid as to why 1m+ people have vanished

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

They released a very brain dead word salad presser about protecting local workers and securing the local organizations' economic durability. Aka, "we need more millions for our owners, yeah?"

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
They could always import labour from their impoverished and/or under-employed allies like Iran, China, Cuba, Venezuela etc.

O hang on, they can't, because literal Nazis stab them to death on the Moscow subway and make it impossible to rent properties etc.

Just like Japan, Russia has a an impending demographic catastrophe which could be somewhat alleviated by immigration, but they would never allow foreigners in. Unlike Japan, they are actively chasing away their own middle class working age population, and slaughtering their working class population in the Donbas.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Cthulu Carl posted:

That's a pretty cool-looking volcano

I dunno, seems pretty hot to me

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

O hang on, they can't, because literal Nazis stab them to death on the Moscow subway and make it impossible to rent properties etc.

Just like Japan, Russia has a an impending demographic catastrophe which could be somewhat alleviated by immigration, but they would never allow foreigners in.
There are already millions of immigrants working in Russia, mostly from Central Asian and Eastern European countries.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Yes, but almost all are from ex-Soviet states, and they face the sorts of issues that would make even Blake Masters blush.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I read somewhere that Russia wants to bring in Indian labour to shore up their economy.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Burns posted:

I read somewhere that Russia wants to bring in Indian labour to shore up their economy.

I’ll start a go fund me to put up billboards to encourage them not to as they would be drafted.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Yes, but almost all are from ex-Soviet states, and they face the sorts of issues that would make even Blake Masters blush.
If their choice is between Russia and even poorer and more oppressive country from which they come from, Russia might be an improvement, despite xenophobia.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Update on Absolut: Absolut Bojkott. Swedes from the left and the right are pissssseeeeddddd.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/a/3EoQxL

Politiker uppmanar till bojkott av Absolut vodka
Politicians encourage boycott of Absolut vodka

quote:

”Moralisk kollaps”, ”ryggradslöst” och en present till Putin.
Flera svenska politiker uppmanar till bojkott av Absolut vodka efter att ägaren Pernod Ricard börjat exportera till Ryssland igen.

“Moral collapse”, “spineless”, and a present to Putin. Several Swedish politicians are encouraging a boycott of Absolut vodka after owner Pernard Ricard began exporting to Russia again.

"Ashamed! Stop buying Absolut Vodka!", writes Sweden Democrats member of parliament Björn Söder on Twitter.

He is supported by Gustaf Göthberg, Member of Parliament for the Moderates, who says that he would have gladly given up Absolut vodka if he had drunk it. "Unprecedentedly spineless", he calls the decision.

It was at the beginning of April that the website Just Drinks reported that Absolut vodka's owner Pernod Ricard is reopening exports to Russia. Exports and imports have been stopped for more than a year.

“Protecting employees”
The explanation for the resumption of sales is, according to Paula Eriksson, communications manager at Absolut Company, that one must "protect local employees and secure the local organization's financial sustainability."

EU parliamentarian Karin Karlsbro (L) calls the decision "a nice present for Putin".

Kristoffer Tamsons, opposition councilor for the Moderates in Stockholm, also writes on Twitter about the boycott: "Freedom to demand that you abstain from this drink."

Ygeman: "Absolutely Putin"
Gulan Avci, who is a Member of Parliament for the Liberals, calls Pernod Ricard's decision "incredibly immoral" at a time when Ukraine is literally fighting for its freedom and the democracy of all of Europe.

Joar Forssell, Member of Parliament for the Liberals on parental leave, agrees: "It is insane that any trade with Russia is allowed at all," he writes.

And party colleague and Member of Parliament Anna Starbrink points to a "moral collapse" at Pernod Ricard: "There is nothing sustainable in doing business with the war criminals in Russia."

Anders Ygeman, Member of Parliament for the Social Democrats, writes briefly: "Absolut Putin".

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

And vodka is like the one drink where if you can taste the difference, by definition it's not vodka.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
As far as I'm aware, the sole importer of alcohol in Sweden is the Government. Would be funny to see Absolut get shitcanned in Sweden

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Another day, another Russian execution video. I haven't seen it (and don't intend to look for it), but there is at least one video showing Wagner mercenaries beheading a Ukrainian solider.

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-04-11-23/h_85606d03c2a1269270c24d94107d40b5
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1646067913932132352?s=20

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

evilbastard posted:

They missed a great opportunity here, all they had to do was make it so they couldn't vote.

Just this one change, and all those endless Usenet arguments about if Robert Heinlein's Terran Federation from Starship Troopers was really stable could finally have an answer.
(Does Sircar's Corollary to Godwin's Law apply if the whole thing started with one side calling the other Nazis ?)

About that

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1646117045619105793

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I'm aware, the sole importer of alcohol in Sweden is the Government. Would be funny to see Absolut get shitcanned in Sweden

There is an Absolut tourist trap museum next to the ABBA Museum in Stockholm.

I do not envy the staff of either today.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

teen witch posted:

Update on Absolut: Absolut Bojkott. Swedes from the left and the right are pissssseeeeddddd.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/a/3EoQxL

Politiker uppmanar till bojkott av Absolut vodka
Politicians encourage boycott of Absolut vodka

I can't believe I'm holding with a position of ANY Swedish Democrat, but...

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

teen witch posted:

There is an Absolut tourist trap museum next to the ABBA Museum in Stockholm.

I do not envy the staff of either today.

Did one of ABBA say something dumb?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

But if the russians drink foreign vodka, more of the profits leave the country.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Disco Pope posted:

Have you listened to any of their discography?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

All I know is one of their guitarists died recently so maybe it's to do with a crowd of nostalgic dudes coming to visit the museum then paying a visit to the Absolut museum

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's it, no NATO for you! <:mad:>

You absolute tossers.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646055598042017793
Mighty Россия still too scared to hold any parades, probably because they don't have anything much left to parade with

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
But of all products.. vodka???

That's like sending maple syrup to a sanctioned Canada

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Samovar posted:

Have you listened to any of their discography?

i will never watch that scene

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

stab posted:

But of all products.. vodka???

That's like sending maple syrup to a sanctioned Canada

Pernod Ricard makes a lot of other stuff as well, such as poo poo-tier whiskey Jameson.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, here's an idea: The globohomo nazi west is probably less likely to hit your sensitive manly parade if you put rainbow flags on it and use pastel face paint, and hid it all under a liberal cloud of sparkly rainbow confetti?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Catpain Slack posted:

Pernod Ricard makes a lot of other stuff as well, such as poo poo-tier whiskey Jameson.

they actually own a lot of distilleries now, Most distressingly Scapa, Miltonduff and Longmorn, but less distressingly Aberlour, Glenlit and Chivas Regal.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh well I guess I'll have to switch to bud light instead.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Der Kyhe posted:

At first Scholz sure did everything in his power to make this not happen.

"Not on the right side of history, not even by accident" should be his next election slogan.
Do you think the right side of history is the Russian one? Or are you still on that whole anti-German/anti-Scholz trip that was popular a couple of months ago?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

Pull up, thread!

Sadly, the reports of Russian soldiers beheading Ukrainian prisoners of war have been verified to be real. This is just, beyond barbaric. Sheer unchecked brutality by a marauding force. The soldiers that did this war crime act on behalf of the nation that just took control of the UN Security Council, what a joke.

https://twitter.com/maria_drutska/status/1645903598046396416?s=20

I hope the people who committed these war crimes are brought to justice and stand trial for their actions

:same:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, Pernod Ricard owns a lot, second largest booze company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pernod_Ricard

Time to find a Havana Club sub for my mai tais, oh well, I’ve been meaning to branch out anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

teen witch posted:

Yeah, Pernod Ricard owns a lot, second largest booze company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pernod_Ricard

Time to find a Havana Club sub for my mai tais, oh well, I’ve been meaning to branch out anyway.

Hampden estate does some good rums, if you want a recommendation. Their Smith and Cross rum might fit your liking.