Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Flesh Forge posted:

unironically it should be bots rather than 9 partisan lifetime appointees

lol that the bots won't be partisan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Flesh Forge posted:

unironically it should be bots rather than 9 partisan lifetime appointees

Decided to go do one of those Senate confirmation hearings, was told to Respect The Norms

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

War and Pieces posted:

lol that the bots won't be partisan

yeah but if we don't like one we just delete it and put in a new one rather than this lifetime appointment bullshit

projecthalaxy posted:

Decided to go do one of those Senate confirmation hearings, was told to Respect The Norms

see it's just trying to butter you up, it knows how these things work

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I feel like it says a lot about these people's interpersonal relationships that they feel an AI chat with some text to voice will be a meaningful substitute

Or they're too cognitively simple to pass the mirror test and think the TV has tiny people inside of it

I've met a guy who was really in to this sort of thing and basically he was so completely terrified of dying that he would buy into just about any technogarble that promised immortality. Whether it made any sense, or (if it worked) would be an insane nightmare hell, was unimportant.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I will simply sublimate my consciousness into the Electrosphere

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I really liked the Culture book about the conflict between the people who made hell real via AI versus the people who thought creating AI beings to be tortured eternally was bad. the main villain was basically space South African. ripped from the headlines.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I will simply sublimate my consciousness into the Electrosphere

can I pilot the night raven

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kitfox88 posted:

can I pilot the night raven

You got it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Best Friends posted:

I really liked the Culture book about the conflict between the people who made hell real via AI versus the people who thought creating AI beings to be tortured eternally was bad. the main villain was basically space South African. ripped from the headlines.

Which one is that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Which one is that

Surface Detail IIRC. The helldude with the lantern head was neat.

Also all the guys in hell were part of some kind of elephant headed species? Which the reader tends to forget about until there's some offhand mention of tusks or trunks and then it becomes funny again

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Best Friends posted:

this is pointless anyways because the person who did bad things and “deserved” to be punished in hell or whatever dies for real and the AI consciousness that gets to experience the hell is an entirely new existence that just has copied memories of things it never actually did. Even ignoring the moral implications around everything else at the end of the day they’re punishing the wrong person. might as well slap a printout of their face on homeless people and beat them up for the sins of another for an ethical dilemma a first grader could solve.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lena is a great short story, in the style of a Wikipedia article, exploring this concept.

quote:

This article is about the standard test brain image. For the original human, see Miguel Acevedo.

MMAcevedo (Mnemonic Map/Acevedo), also known as Miguel, is the earliest executable image of a human brain. It is a snapshot of the living brain of neurology graduate Miguel Acevedo Álvarez (2010–2073), taken by researchers at the Uplift Laboratory at the University of New Mexico on August 1, 2031.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Soul Hunters from Babylon 5 were pretty interesting, they were the dudes who claimed to be able to capture someone's consciousness at the instant of death and preserve it so future generations could talk to and learn from the dead.

The Humans think this is all nonsense mumbo-jumbo and are surprised to learn that the Minbari not only believe it, but find the prospect so horrifying that they execute Soul Hunters on sight because from their perspective they're imprisoning people's souls in a hellish endlessly monotonous existence, while the Soul Hunters in turn accuse the Minbari of being murderers for wanting people's souls to be lost after death.

The show leaves it open on which side is right iirc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I guess I don't really expect Call of Duty to actively have political commentary on whatever, but, you know, maybe not have a mission called "Highway of Death" set in the Middle East and it's because of "Russian bombing"

like at some point you are actively whitewashing American war crimes rather than merely failing to comment on them in any way which is the lowest loving bar and yet somehow

i mean, why do you think cod games have dod people on staff lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/tomthefanboy/status/1645476996242366465

What the gently caress is going on with people making wrong analogies to "no ethical consumption under capitalism"

they're gaslighting us

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Best Friends posted:

Zakalwe coming through in the clutch again

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Truga posted:

didn't know they did, figured it was like michael bay movies where they just get free poo poo / insider info by running it past the dod before going gold

lmao everything is active propaganda etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Truga posted:

Yeah, that America's Army game took a lot of the heat because it was so blatant, but really most of those FPSes seem to be fully integrated into MIC propaganda

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

having decades of conversations saved on whatsapp is already going to be a loving nightmare when my partner dies

i could literally spend the rest of my life re-experiencing all of our interactions and tbqh the mere thought of having all that stresses me out. hopefully i die first. or we both die very sudden deaths at the same time, like a bridge collapsing on us. that would be best case

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What if photo albums, but parasocial

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the state of decline american quality of life is in and the rate at which things are going down the tubes I really can't imagine a lot of americans wanting to live too much past like, 60

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, that America's Army game took a lot of the heat because it was so blatant, but really most of those FPSes seem to be fully integrated into MIC propaganda

i remember loving AA because it went all in on the simulationism to the point where if you wanted to play a medic you had to take medic training where you sat on chairs in a virtual staff tent and watched a bunch of slides

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Koba posted:

i remember loving AA because it went all in on the simulationism to the point where if you wanted to play a medic you had to take medic training where you sat on chairs in a virtual staff tent and watched a bunch of slides

Lol, that's sicko poo poo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

i thought they wanted people to join the army

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea but they didn't want them to play support classes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Surgeon Simulator but for drone operators. Full body & bladder control like QWOP

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

I 100% learned some basic first aid concepts in AA medic training that helped me in basic training years later. Powerpoint simulator lol

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Failed Imagineer posted:

America's Army is the still only game that lets you frag your CO the first day of boot camp

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/3YearLetterman/status/1645486716768198659

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

Zakalwe coming through in the clutch again

he'll never be chairman of the board

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I 100% learned some basic first aid concepts in AA medic training that helped me in basic training years later. Powerpoint simulator lol

Given how many people completed that medic training course and the fact that it contained quite a lot of actual useful info, I am certain that that part of the game has saved lives.

Getting nerds to sign up for the US army is the part that I am certain has cost lives.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

War and Pieces posted:

America's Army is the still only game that lets you frag your CO the first day of boot camp

My account is still doing time at leavenworth

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

Given how many people completed that medic training course and the fact that it contained quite a lot of actual useful info, I am certain that that part of the game has saved lives.

Getting nerds to sign up for the US army is the part that I am certain has cost lives.
never did medic training, but did complete the sneaking mission, so i'm ready for partisan duty when the swedes attack

DACK FAYDEN posted:

didn't know they did, figured it was like michael bay movies where they just get free poo poo / insider info by running it past the dod before going gold

lmao everything is active propaganda etc
activision-blizzard has like two people directly involved with guantanamo torture in leadership positions, iirc.

my bony fealty posted:

i thought they wanted people to join the army
it's like how scammers screen out everyone but the easiest marks, except this is screening for people who can sit through that tedium.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Comrade Koba posted:

I did this and read comic books through the whole thing and at the end I was like oh gently caress they're quizzing me? gently caress fuckity drat and Wikipedia squeaked me by on a C-

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

and then after all that it was like FINAL EXAM PRIVATE THINK YOU CAN HOLD E OVER THIS CORPSE TILL IT AIN'T SO CORPSY NO MORE SHOW ME WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/USAmbChina/status/1646499283255054336

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Media literacy thread says the tweet is fully correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't know any of the history or context and do not care to, but I do know that that dude has a cube for a head and it looks funny