Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

More like Burning Fours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

goblin week posted:

preorder bonuses for dlc is such loving horseshit

I used to get pissed about DLC and costs but realistically I'll spend $20 on lunch Saturday and the DLC will give me more enjoyment

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was going to buy this DLC regardless so I'm happier about the price point, I thought it was gonna be 30bux at least.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Store page is up. You get a new outfit and a bow for pre-ordering. The Burning Shores is 20bux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIchGA6p5ZY

hell yeah

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

I was going to buy this DLC regardless so I'm happier about the price point, I thought it was gonna be 30bux at least.

Same. I’ll have to wait a couple of weeks because of “budgeting” (such as it is with what little free money I do have). But there was no way I was passing this up when it was announced.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
can you transfer a PS4 save to PS5?

if i do get one my plan was to NG+ and then the DLC but idk if you can. originally i had wanted to wait for a PC port but between wanting full DS5 support (maybe the haptic poo poo works on PC? dunno) and port likely being delayed because of the weird business nonsense around exclusives and acquisitions between sony and MS atm i may wanna just get a PS5

that or bum off my friend who already has one

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

can you transfer a PS4 save to PS5?

IIRC it's possible but kludgy, and you can't transfer back to PS4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You can put your save file on a USB and plug it into your PS5, or upload it to online storage if you have PS+.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
The hfw preorder items were earlygame so it didnt matter much in the end for gameplay since they were quickly eclipsed by later game gear. But as this dlc is endgame presumably the preorder items will be geared towards it too and might be top contenders for some roles, which in that case might seem a little unfair.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm already wearing the best outfit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah genuinely surprised it wasn't 35-40

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Falukorv posted:

The hfw preorder items were earlygame so it didnt matter much in the end for gameplay since they were quickly eclipsed by later game gear. But as this dlc is endgame presumably the preorder items will be geared towards it too and might be top contenders for some roles, which in that case might seem a little unfair.

I'm assuming the preorder items will only be available from a merchant in the new quest area, which seems to only be available after beating the game. Though it would be fun just to crush things early on in the game, lol.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Excited for this to be the best video game DLC since The Old Hunters :pray:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The new weapons and outfits in The Frozen Wilds were straight upgrades over their main game counterparts, but the NG+ gear in Forbidden West were mostly sidegrades or more specialized for one kind of thing. So I'm not sure which direction Burning Shores will take.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh yeah this is going to be good

https://twitter.com/guerrilla/status/1641425053664563200?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

owns.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

While I don’t like the prospect of even more underwater content, maybe this will make tackling the content in the existing underwater areas easier to handle.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klungar posted:

While I don’t like the prospect of even more underwater content, maybe this will make tackling the content in the existing underwater areas easier to handle.

As long as you don't "lose your rebreather for this section". I hate limited oxygen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did HFW have any sections like that? I remember having permanent infinite underwater after the mission where you get it

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

haveblue posted:

Did HFW have any sections like that? I remember having permanent infinite underwater after the mission where you get it

It did not, no. You even have infinite underwater time in NG+ before doing that mission. It just makes you go through the motions of building the rebreather again.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still not decided if I'll bother with the DLC, basically the feedback and reviews are gonna have to be stellar. I adored ZD but found FW's lustre quickly wore off, and I soured on it a lot since finishing it (the tedious gear upgrades, crap Big Bad setup, and the way my guy Varl was done so dirty). Plus the crushing news about Lance largely ended any lingering interest I had going forward - Sylens deciding to stay and work with Aloy instead of selfishly peacing out was like the one thing I really liked about the ending and it just isn't gonna be the same now.

It's probably not as bad as I'm grumbling, I just wish it landed for me as well as the original had.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
The amount of levels gears had for up grades was insane. Should have had three, one for each slot.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I was disappointed they didn't give us new shield armor, even with a tortuous collectathon.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
No i agree, the story and writing is somewhat of a letdown, although i still havent grown tired of the gameplay, that part really clicked for me, traversing the west battling machines. So well worth the DLC i think just for the new environments, machines and capabilities. If it were only the DLC i had to pay for, im unfortunately on ps4 so it will have to wait.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So I've started replaying NG+ in preparation for burning shores, but suddenly everything seems... kinda broken? Textures for machines are failing to load completely and the waves seem to be really choppy. The water graphics are fine otherwise, it's just the wave crests near the shore that don't move very smoothly. Is my PS5 hosed or is there something else at play here?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jows posted:

I was disappointed they didn't give us new shield armor, even with a tortuous collectathon.

It's a harsh lesson in the long-term implications of relying on nonremovable batteries

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Olothreutes posted:

So I've started replaying NG+ in preparation for burning shores, but suddenly everything seems... kinda broken? Textures for machines are failing to load completely and the waves seem to be really choppy. The water graphics are fine otherwise, it's just the wave crests near the shore that don't move very smoothly. Is my PS5 hosed or is there something else at play here?

Have you tried force closing the game from the home screen and re-launching it? There are some memory leak issues they never ironed out and I had some weird problems like that when I played for too long

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New look at the main DLC settlement, Fleet's End.

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1643961982951866373

There's also a blog post up about the Quen you'll find in the Burning Shores, along with some info on the woman riding the Sunwing with Aloy in the promo art:

quote:

The key art for Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores shows Aloy accompanied by a new companion, recognizable by her Quen attire – Seyka. “We’re excited to introduce Seyka! She’s an ambitious marine who has stepped up to help her people survive. As a new companion for the DLC, Aloy will spend a lot of time with her throughout the story and rely on her help in many situations – a position she doesn’t often find herself in.”

“Confident, compassionate, and fierce, Seyka’s quite unlike anyone Aloy has ever encountered, and she plays an important role in the next chapter of Aloy’s journey.”

Sorry Talanah fans.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I put money down on Burning Shores. I am ready.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I finished this game from PS Collection in time to get Burning Shores, yay. I was always going to play HFW, I just wanted to get the best experience by waiting until I could painlessly get a PS5.

Enjoyed the game but I echo pretty much everyone's common complaints, the amount of upgrading and pointless crafting is too much. I didn't even bother with the arena or the final Hunting Grounds (played the game on hard) because of the pain it was.

Wanted to vary my loadout more but for like 90% of the game my loadout was some variation of the best possible Hunter bow with Impact I could find, something to apply fire and acid (a warrior or hunter bow, again), either a shredder or precision bow that got rarely used, and of course the coolest of all, the Vindicator Spike Thrower because both Explosive Spikes and Drill Spikes are super cool.

Spectres die super easy if they're frosted up and then you just chuck a few drill spikes into them, it's like they heatseek their weak points or something.

edit:

I wonder what the least-completed 'proper' quest or errand is in the game. In HZD it was the Banuk oil-drinker guy because you had to get pretty close to see his quest pop up.
In HFW I was surprised to see Cliffwatch as a town because I don't think you ever really get led there, and there's a small quest there, A Hunt to Remember... and that's about it. Wouldn't be surprised if most people don't see it.

(it's also not a particularly memorable hunt)

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 12, 2023

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

bewilderment posted:

Enjoyed the game but I echo pretty much everyone's common complaints, the amount of upgrading and pointless crafting is too much. I didn't even bother with the arena or the final Hunting Grounds (played the game on hard) because of the pain it was.

Wanted to vary my loadout more but for like 90% of the game my loadout was some variation of the best possible Hunter bow with Impact I could find, something to apply fire and acid (a warrior or hunter bow, again), either a shredder or precision bow that got rarely used, and of course the coolest of all, the Vindicator Spike Thrower because both Explosive Spikes and Drill Spikes are super cool.

Those were my big complaints too. All I've got left for the platinum are the stupid loving arena challenges, the human fighting poo poo, and the goddamned board game that I don't want to spend ten minutes to learn. It's pissing me off. I slaughter the final boss in like a minute and I can't get the platinum in part because of post-post-apocalypse checkers.

The other issue as well, they added a bazillion new mechanics and I not only used few of them, I ended up using far fewer overall weapons than I did in the first game. The mini-bows were worthless to me, I hated the shredders and spent maybe 20 minutes trying to get the hang of them before throwing in the towel... In the end, it was a couple of bows and slings and spikes at the very end of the game and that's all I needed. I didn't even use the new food boosts. Didn't see the need. I did use the super duper Hulk-out moves of course, but new weapons-wise? Nope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Strike trophy is super easy, just buy a Fireclaw piece from the arena or a Stormbird + Ravager combo and annihilate the beginner boards at Chainscrape and Barren Light.

Warrior Bows are incredibly good when specced for properly, and were my mainstay weapon during my NG+ run. Wear a melee-oriented outfit (i.e. Oseram Artificer), load them with melee follow-up coils, pop the Critical Boost valor surge and just unload with Spreadshot at point blank range right after giving enemies a little love-tap with R1. You'll easily mulch down machines for ~3k a hit with everything going. Big sustained damage and extremely cost-efficient. Same for Shredders once you get the hang of them, especially the ones with shock ammo since they triple-dip from damage, tear and elemental modifiers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, Warrior Bows own.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If you just want the arenas done for the trophy just drop the difficulty down to story and call it a day

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Oh yeah I played enough Machine Strike to clear all the Beginners for the trophy and then when the harder ones popped up I rightly quit.

Whoever said "this is way too complex for a tribal board game" way up thread is right. It was like playing Ff tactics or Fire Emblem but way less intuitive and with a way worse 'diegetic' HUD.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think Machine Strike could have been cool if it had multiplayer but I'm not really interested in playing Not Gwent™ against NPCs

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
and it gets boring fast once you "get it" and have good pieces, winning strategy plays out the same way. Basically feinting and delaying until the opponent overcommits and then you pounce, which gets to be even more trivial if you only use 1 strong piece like the fireclaw and abuse that single pieces can move twice per turn.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 12, 2023

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
the dev team really seem to want me to like the quen and their representative and i just want to chuck them all into the fuckin sun

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

hazardousmouse posted:

the dev team really seem to want me to like the quen and their representative and i just want to chuck them all into the fuckin sun

The Quen are by and large garbage but Alva is definitely a Good Egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Falukorv posted:

and it gets boring fast once you "get it" and have good pieces, winning strategy plays out the same way. Basically feinting and delaying until the opponent overcommits and then you pounce, which gets to be even more trivial if you only use 1 strong piece like the fireclaw and abuse that single pieces can move twice per turn.

I did pretty much this, but with the slaughterspine piece. Mostly trivial, the worst bits are the tutorials where you have to use lovely pieces.

I forgot how absurd the detection radius is in ultra hard, if I'm not in grass it's basically the same range that I can begin to scan and mark stuff.