Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Some years ago I saw the TSA agents take a 4 oz bottle of perfume from some lady ahead of me in line, and before I was even through they were already arguing about who was going to keep it.

Forums poster qirex told a similar story in yospos about seeing some agents steal a nice watch from a young black kid.

They're all just rent a cop crooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Sagebrush posted:

Some years ago I saw the TSA agents take a 4 oz bottle of perfume from some lady ahead of me in line, and before I was even through they were already arguing about who was going to keep it.

Forums poster qirex told a similar story in yospos about seeing some agents steal a nice watch from a young black kid.

They're all just rent a cop crooks

Also the lots of confiscated items on eBay and at gun shows or flea markets. Usually knives in a box but sometimes various travel bags and small electronics. I'm sure some of them aren't actually TSA but with the volume I see, I feel like there may be a grain of truth to it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

knuthgrush posted:

Also the lots of confiscated items on eBay and at gun shows or flea markets. Usually knives in a box but sometimes various travel bags and small electronics. I'm sure some of them aren't actually TSA but with the volume I see, I feel like there may be a grain of truth to it.

Occasionally TSA auctions show up on Ebay. Its mostly knives and multitools. A coworker was looking at a box of multitools as you could get a decent Leatherman or Gerber one for cheap.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

knuthgrush posted:

It's hosed up, though I have no problem with people who bring guns to airports permanently losing them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I specifically bought a Leatherman multi-tool without a blade. I don't fly very often, but I only was stopped and had it looked at once. It's supposed to be allowed on planes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was taken from me at some point, anyway.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

It's funny when airport security visibly freak out over false alarms, like apparently clif bars are the right density to look like C4 on the xray (or something) or maybe there was an advisory about someone plotting to eat ten protein bricks and drop a huge poo poo on the plane

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've never really seen the agent freak out but it's probably a factor of your own nervousness and skin color. As a white business traveller we either BSing with each other as they unveil the offending protein bar or violently rolling our eyes together at their supervisor having to come check why the bomb precursor sample machine is giving false positives again.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

silentsnack posted:

It's funny when airport security visibly freak out over false alarms, like apparently clif bars are the right density to look like C4 on the xray (or something) or maybe there was an advisory about someone plotting to eat ten protein bricks and drop a huge poo poo on the plane

Way back before 9/11, my dad would travel for business fairly often. He once packed his mechanical alarm clock and an entire package of oreos (you know, the ones with like 3-4 rows of cookies in a tray). Apparently that does NOT look good on an xray.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My only experience with TSA in the states was only a year or two after 9/11 so it seemed like everyone was getting the full works, they found a physics textbook in my luggage (I had a test the day after I was due to get home to the UK) when they opened it up in front of me to swab it for bombs or drugs or whatever and immediately flipped out and grilled the gently caress out of me about why I had a physics textbook.

I don’t know how that was a threat but they sure weren’t happy about it being there! I’m very white and this was before I got covered in tattoos and piercings, so I can’t even blame it on profiling.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

History Comes Inside! posted:

My only experience with TSA in the states was only a year or two after 9/11 so it seemed like everyone was getting the full works, they found a physics textbook in my luggage (I had a test the day after I was due to get home to the UK) when they opened it up in front of me to swab it for bombs or drugs or whatever and immediately flipped out and grilled the gently caress out of me about why I had a physics textbook.

I don’t know how that was a threat but they sure weren’t happy about it being there! I’m very white and this was before I got covered in tattoos and piercings, so I can’t even blame it on profiling.

Can't make a bomb if you don't understand physics

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I fly about once a month and have never seen anything memorable happen at security screening. i'm sure some stupid poo poo happens but that's inevitable when humans are involved in the process, especially at the scale required for the tens of thousands of people flying every day.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
fuckers made me throw away my deoderant last time I flew :mad:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

teemolover42069 posted:

Next time be like Heimo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Way back before 9/11, my dad would travel for business fairly often. He once packed his mechanical alarm clock and an entire package of oreos (you know, the ones with like 3-4 rows of cookies in a tray). Apparently that does NOT look good on an xray.

I once flew with one of these toys as a gift:

Inside the can is a battery, a motor with an offset weight, and an angled tilt switch, all set in styrofoam. You tilt it in a special way to turn it off and then carefully set it down, and the next time it's picked up the tilt switch triggers the motor to start shaking and it startles you. Good joke. Everybody laugh.

So on x-ray, this looks like a metal can containing a battery, some wires, a trigger switch, and some other electronics, all surrounded by a molded polymer.

The TSA lady was NOT happy about it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Are you a little girl and was the airport full of aliens with colds and improvising workout routines on the furnishings?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

the next time it's picked up the tilt switch triggers the motor to start shaking and it startles you.

The TSA lady was NOT happy about it.

But Fight Club taught me that the TSA is used to dealing with vibrators.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

teemolover42069 posted:

The rules are just so stupid. Perfume? Banned. Lighter? Just don't burn the plane down with it thanks

And then there's the ahole shoe bomber that still has us taking our shoes off in the line 15 years later

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
getting TSA PreCheck is so worth it. About $90 for five years, and it's an x-ray machine and a metal detector, don't need to remove shoes or belts or take your laptop out, and the line is always super short and fast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

holtemon posted:

And then there's the ahole shoe bomber that still has us taking our shoes off in the line 15 years later

That happened while I was visiting Poland. By the time we were flying back, every country except for Poland stopped completely freaking out. Poland required us to check everything, zero carry ons. This included passing through security and buying something in a store in the secure area; in the trash before getting on the plane.

That was a long loving 10 hours.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t understand how the precheck thing works

Is it literally just “you paid us so you’re probably not a terrorist” because that seems even too lol capitalism for the USA

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think it’s supposed to cover a background check but I’m sure they don’t even bother.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Is it literally just “you paid us so you’re probably not a terrorist” because that seems even too lol capitalism for the USA

Signup includes being fingerprinted and a background check, so it's more "You haven't blown yourself up yet, so you're probably not a terrorist"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
yeah you have to be fingerprinted and give all your details, and then the DHS does whatever federal background check stuff they do.

I'm guessing that it also includes ongoing monitoring so whatever stuff the FBI or DHS or NSA/CIA is getting in their surveillance networks is cross checked against the DHS database

yay surveillance state, but hey, it makes flying be like pre 9/11 so i highly recommend it :)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

Are you a little girl and was the airport full of aliens with colds and improvising workout routines on the furnishings?
thank you i thought it was 12 monkeys at first but knew that couldn't be the right movie

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

thank you i thought it was 12 monkeys at first but knew that couldn't be the right movie

Airport security in 12 Monkeys is actually horrible, what with failing to prevent a global pandemic.

Which, now that I think about it...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

"We have determined via background check and other methods that you are statistically unlikely to do something that will get the program canceled. We have also made the determination that we no longer require MM wave scans of your junk, unless and until the quantity of piercings in said junk sets off the metal detector."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DandyLion posted:

C'mon man, that's not entirely true.

They also make a tidy sum pilfering electronics and other valuables from peoples bags.

I can’t believe that you would forget their dogged determination

to grope as many people as they can in a day.

silentsnack posted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Horse rescued after earthquake in Turkey.

https://i.imgur.com/3fAK7sX.mp4

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The real question is why the gently caress TSA Clear exists when TSA precheck already exists?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bird in a Blender posted:

The real question is why the gently caress TSA Clear exists when TSA precheck already exists?

Clear is not a TSA program, it's a private company approved by DHS and is document related.

You would still need TSA Precheck if you have Clear. Otherwise you will go through the regular entry line kinda defeating the purpose.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't know if there's now something branded TSA Clear, but Clear itself is (or was?) a private for-profit company that had somehow weaseled its way into airports and I think may in fact have been founded before PreCheck started. So they're probably pissed as hell that PreCheck came into existence, but good, gently caress 'em, they charged some absurd fee like $100 a month for people to skip the line and PreCheck is doing the right thing by cutting the knees off the middleman and preventing an inflationary market.

Huh I wonder what would happen if that same model were applied to healthcare.

efb

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you have both Precheck and Clear you can sometimes skip the requirement to take off your mask to check against photo ID.

It’s not reliable though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Clear is for your identity / document check.

Precheck is for bag and body screening.

You can use both. I do but only because my credit card pays for both. I wouldn't have Clear otherwise (but I would keep Precheck).

The value of Clear really depends on how long the lines are for the ID check at your airport.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

silentsnack posted:

I flew out of Philly last month for a strongman comp and had all my gear on my carryon since I didn't want it to get lost and my god between the liquid chalk and the tacky I ended up getting the full interrogation and pat down. Also trying to explain to a 70 year old woman what a lifting belt was and why I had to have it with me was fun

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rt0q6xCUOt1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rt0qa3Pv3q1r0uzl6.mp4

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the Soviets just made a guy do it.

Same failure mode, too.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

V1V4 la Revolution!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Cheese looks like c4 bricks according to a TSA agent at the Madison airport. However I'm not leaving Wisconsin without cheese.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"We have determined via background check and other methods that you are statistically unlikely to do something that will get the program canceled. We have also made the determination that we no longer require MM wave scans of your junk, unless and until the quantity of piercings in said junk sets off the metal detector."

Precheck also doesn't really get you out of any of the screening measures; you still have to go through the metal detector and get your bags x-rayed. You can just keep your shoes and belt on while you do it and you get a special line which may or may not be shorter than the peasant class line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Having recently flown from Denver to Cleveland, the pre-check line was about 1/50th the size of the common line. Pre-check processing time was 5 minutes, common line processing time was an hour and a half.