Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slotducks posted:

love to not be able to hit the horn because im driving with my leather driving gloves on and smash into an emu

fire all tech bros into the sun
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1646181161037713414

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
this is like how every year there's some big brain industrial design geniuses that decide to reinvent the bicycle, but worse

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jesus christ

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"why not reinvent the wheel?"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rodbeard posted:

what is this thread about?

twitter

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
replace the wheel with WASD

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

So I guess this is the new steering wheel they sell instead of the yoke. This thing looks cheap as poo poo.

Why the gently caress would you ever put the turn signals on the wheel itself?

Because you're so concerned with making something different--without any regard to industry standards, why your different ideas might be missing something important, or why it's a bad thing when basic safety functionality is obscured--that you end up literally reinventing the wheel (but worse)

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

the milk machine posted:

this is like how every year there's some big brain industrial design geniuses that decide to reinvent the bicycle, but worse

Reinventing the wheel but it's just a giant round touchscreen.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I want to steer my car with a GameCube controller, the greatest controller of all time

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

You won't even need a steering column

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Elon Musk's ideas are basically a first draft without any deep thought put into it (why is a yoke bad for a car, touchscreen controls, hidden door handles, etc.), and if he was surrounded by non-sychophants, these would get rejected and replaced, as happened with PayPal and X.com in the 90s where they shut down all of his input and forced him out of the company and in all liklihood succeeded in spite of him.

But since he's surrounded by grovelling servants that get fired when they talk back, his ideas go straight to production.

In other words, he's the George Lucas of industrial design

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I want to steer my car with a GameCube controller, the greatest controller of all time

I want my next car to have a MadCatz controller with stuck buttons

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Escape Goat posted:

Elon Musk's ideas are basically a first draft without any deep thought put into it (why is a yoke bad for a car, touchscreen controls, hidden door handles, etc.), and if he was surrounded by non-sychophants, these would get rejected and replaced, as happened with PayPal and X.com in the 90s where they shut down all of his input and forced him out of the company and in all liklihood succeeded in spite of him.

But since he's surrounded by grovelling servants that get fired when they talk back, his ideas go straight to production.

In other words, he's the George Lucas of industrial design

okay smart guy let's see you do better

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

id love to see how little elon understands of how car safety works lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"safety third ... though there's nothing in second place, safety is not getting promoted to number two"

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/elon-musk-the-architect-of-tomorrow-120850/

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think the cybertruck thing kind if demonstrates what happens alot is elon lays down just the dumbest, least feasible ground rules and his staff have to work within these new constraints or risk termination if you point out "hey this actually wont work"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the milk machine posted:

"safety third ... though there's nothing in second place, safety is not getting promoted to number two"

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/elon-musk-the-architect-of-tomorrow-120850/

lmao

tenderjerk posted:

I think the cybertruck thing kind if demonstrates what happens alot is elon lays down just the dumbest, least feasible ground rules and his staff have to work within these new constraints or risk termination if you point out "hey this actually wont work"

absolutely, you can already see in the new demo version they have out how they have abandoned a ton of the original concepts because it just can't work with a modern vehicle. any time that thing crashed into something heavier than itself the occupants would be horrendously injured/killed

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1646181161037713414?s=20

john carmack of doom has solved the steering wheel problem

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

any time that thing crashed into something heavier than itself the occupants would be horrendously injured/killed

This should actually be a mandatory feature in modern trucks, minus the heavier part

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

the milk machine posted:

Lol this is Mike Rowe's bullshit

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

shyduck posted:

Lol this is Mike Rowe's bullshit

Musk is like a Katamari of dumb bullshit, standing on the shoulders of morons

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1646181161037713414?s=20

john carmack of doom has solved the steering wheel problem

the time has come for gesture based steering wheels

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

He's saying put a touchscreen in the steering wheel, not steer by touch. You already have tons of buttons on steering wheels.

Dumb idea, still

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
he already gets to the existing issue, how would you safely deploy an airbag without launching the screen at the user, in the same post he's making the point in tho. like, that's when you should go "ah, right" and then delete it, not send it!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's saying you can install doom on your steering wheel and shoot demons while you drive down interstate highway on your tesla which is in self driving mode above the legal speed limit

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I should be able to drive my car with my Nintendo Switch

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's saying you can install doom on your steering wheel and shoot demons while you drive down interstate highway on your tesla which is in self driving mode above the legal speed limit

ideally you'd eliminate the screen in the steering wheel altogether and instead use the tesla's Smart Windows and Windshield to create AR game objectives on the road while you're driving

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Idiots, all of you.

The answer is obviously your neurolink is tied into the car, eliminating any physical inputs at all.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

shyduck posted:

I should be able to drive my car with my Nintendo Switch

joy con drifting in my car

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the monkey will drive the car

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

They should get rid of physical controls as far as possible and go with voice commands. C'mon OS/2 Warp could do this!

Voice commands? Just let the car guess where you want to go
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1354680585139187713?lang=en

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the monkey will drive the car

The monkey is the car. Its neurons are evenly distributed across the wires and tubes of the car.

It can also play Fortnite.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the monkeys HATE driving the car. you will have to calm your monkey each night in the garage while your Tesla charges. they enjoy being read to and soft adult contemporary.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Obviously you can't have a full touch screen on the wheel because of the airbag. So you'll have to shrink the screen small enough to put it on the sides of the wheel. But then you have a small screen too small to make out or select the functionality, so just have multiple tiny small touch screens that each control only a single, fixed function. And make sure it has haptic feedback so you know when you pressed it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Obviously you can't have a full touch screen on the wheel because of the airbag. So you'll have to shrink the screen small enough to put it on the sides of the wheel. But then you have a small screen too small to make out or select the functionality, so just have multiple tiny small touch screens that each control only a single, fixed function. And make sure it has haptic feedback so you know when you pressed it

a touch screen ON the wheel is out of the question. but what about a touchscreen... that IS the wheel!!!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I think John carmack should focus on making Doom

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
airbags will no longer be necessary once the touchpad function is integrated into the steering wheel

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
I want to be able to drive the car with my butt.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
when the airbag deploys it can just blast shattered glass into your eyes. techbro fanboys will be happy to pay tens of thousands of dollars for this feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
flat panel display monitor in the driver's seat that reads my commands off twitch sphincter reactions