Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Bonk posted:

Where were you folks at Defy? I got standing room tickets so I was right behind the back row on the concession/merch side where you come in.

Not sure why they didn't open up the risers on the right side like usual, but maybe they just didn't sell enough tickets to open it all up.

I try to always get 3rd row closest to the entrance. Close to the action, can see most of the out of ring stuff, but low chance of having to rush out of the way of a dive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I love rushing out of the way during dives

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I love rushing out of the way during dives

i was gonna say who wants to AVOID that its one of the best parts of the show!!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the point of front row tickets is that you get to catch the wrestlers and any shards of glass

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Got glass in my shoes sitting front row last weekend

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1645581065069707264

Guessing CZW is losing out on Zandig vs Shlak!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, the point of front row tickets is that you get to catch the wrestlers and any shards of glass

I dunno, I didn't like getting kicked in the face that one time...

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

I dunno, I didn't like getting kicked in the face that one time...

Maybe you'll like it a second time

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_7UbC_E2M
Love how MV Young just decides to book matches at random bars in Lawerenceville; crowd sadly not as into it

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Defy posted a really good video building up the history behind the card at The Realest. The part about Swerve & Nick Wayne goes back over a year. Highly recommend you catch that stream on April 13th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8jWcT3jbYw

Here's the first Nick/Swerve match from last year.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 11, 2023

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/defynw/status/1645876020430655488?s=46&t=g_TRNjFJNFS2lONLhogelA

fuckinnnnn

DEFY really went “which venue in town has the highest ceiling okay cool cool let’s book that one”

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Oh god dammit, I have to drive all the way down to Oregon now? Defy, I already come down to Seattle for you, why you gotta do me like that?

There better be a Prestige show that same weekend too. Watch it be in San Francisco.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
A friend of mine sent me this tiktok:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7219548066418887979

Do any of you happen to know what match this is from?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

A friend of mine sent me this tiktok:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7219548066418887979

Do any of you happen to know what match this is from?

Tournament of Survival 3

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kvlt! posted:

Tournament of Survival 3

Thanks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
ToS3 might be the overall peak of GCW. Drawing 1,000 people after a CZW cop call caused venue change, running a really entertaining show and feeling like you were seeing a company make a lot of new stars in front of you.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

the escape goat posted:

https://twitter.com/defynw/status/1645876020430655488?s=46&t=g_TRNjFJNFS2lONLhogelA

fuckinnnnn

DEFY really went “which venue in town has the highest ceiling okay cool cool let’s book that one”

Dang, I'll be at Forbidden Door

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Nation Extreme Wrestling has now posted their entire show from March for free. It's been their biggest show so far, and it was awesome live:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfw6JkYCbX89pdZxjNs4TdZMGhL9bADY8

Travis Williams vs. Nick Wayne
NEW Women's Title: Nicole Matthews© vs. Miyu Yamashita
Daniel Makabe vs. Cody Chhun
Maki Itoh vs. Cat Power
NEW Tag Titles: Re:Loaded (Jacky Lee & $hareef Morrow)© vs. The Wisemen (Billy Suede & Tony Baroni)
Tables Match: Bambi Hall vs. Liiza Hall (sibling fight)
NEW Title: Evan Rivers© vs. Artemis Spencer vs. Mr. Ferguson
Minoru Suzuki vs. Judas Icarus

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bonk posted:

Nation Extreme Wrestling has now posted their entire show from March for free. It's been their biggest show so far, and it was awesome live:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfw6JkYCbX89pdZxjNs4TdZMGhL9bADY8

Travis Williams vs. Nick Wayne
NEW Women's Title: Nicole Matthews© vs. Miyu Yamashita
Daniel Makabe vs. Cody Chhun
Maki Itoh vs. Cat Power
NEW Tag Titles: Re:Loaded (Jacky Lee & $hareef Morrow)© vs. The Wisemen (Billy Suede & Tony Baroni)
Tables Match: Bambi Hall vs. Liiza Hall (sibling fight)
NEW Title: Evan Rivers© vs. Artemis Spencer vs. Mr. Ferguson
Minoru Suzuki vs. Judas Icarus

It's very funny how uptight they are about booking Gentleman Jervis for their next show.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Dang, I'll be at Forbidden Door

FD is the next day (the 25th)

e: unless you meant you were planning to go live, in which case yeah that might be tough

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I’d love a Chikara where are they now report - who has done well since Chikara closed?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Manwithastick posted:

I’d love a Chikara where are they now report - who has done well since Chikara closed?

Orange Cassidy has probably done the best.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kazuchika Okada became a multi-time world champ after his time in Chikara, after that I'd say Jon Moxley or Claudio Castagnoli did the best

But for real most of the good guys from Chikara are now with AEW, with the rest either in the WWE system (Drew Gulak, Riccochet, Sara Del Rey) or hanging out with Ultramantis Black

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SG Bamboo posted:

But for real most of the good guys from Chikara are now with AEW, with the rest either in the WWE system (Drew Gulak, Riccochet, Sara Del Rey) or hanging out with Ultramantic Black

Sara really went off the grid after becoming a trainer, now that I think about it. (Which is fine.)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Manwithastick posted:

Of the most recent crop of trainees, Edith Surreal's probably done the best.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

I've loved what I've seen of Edith, she is/was my local indie, LLL's womens champ and she does great even with some of the less skilled workers she faces. Speaking of they're doing Heidi Howitzer vs Miyu Yamashita vs Masha Slamovich in June which is gonna kick substantial amounts of rear end.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Matt Makowski was starting to get a lot of hype too, but he's been out for more than a year with a knee injury.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LionYeti posted:

I've loved what I've seen of Edith, she is/was my local indie, LLL's womens champ and she does great even with some of the less skilled workers she faces. Speaking of they're doing Heidi Howitzer vs Miyu Yamashita vs Masha Slamovich in June which is gonna kick substantial amounts of rear end.

I love how Miyu came over and all these promotions want to work with her.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

LionYeti posted:

Heidi was a mainstay in my local indie before it folded and I loved her and I'm happy she is getting so much shine. She did a match with Billie Starkz that was incredibly funny when she kept complaining about how young and energetic Starkz was.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1646308730609205249?s=20

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Thanks for posting this, just bought my ticket!!

I opted for SRO over fifth row ringside, anything will be better than the stage seating last time

I have been waiting way too long to yell ITOH-CHAN

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Taxman posted:

Thanks for posting this, just bought my ticket!!

I opted for SRO over fifth row ringside, anything will be better than the stage seating last time

I have been waiting way too long to yell ITOH-CHAN

What was wrong with ringside seating? That show looks like fun.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeah April 27th people should watch the finale of Enjoy's Rite's Of Spring since it will really solidify this

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

mariooncrack posted:

What was wrong with ringside seating? That show looks like fun.

Fifth row on flat ground is not usually my jam

If it will be set up like the last show GCW did at Harpo's, the ring will be on the floor in front of the stage. There is an elevated level with a railing basically opposite where the stage is on the other side of the ring, that should be a great place to be for the show (I had to stand the whole show on the stage to be able to see, so I don't mind either way). Now, if I can't get a spot on the rail it will suck, but I'm usually early enough for these things

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

Kazuchika Okada became a multi-time world champ after his time in Chikara, after that I'd say Jon Moxley or Claudio Castagnoli did the best

But for real most of the good guys from Chikara are now with AEW, with the rest either in the WWE system (Drew Gulak, Riccochet, Sara Del Rey) or hanging out with Ultramantis Black

Remembering going to see King Of Trios in 2017, which in retrospect was a perfect confluence of weird era Chikara and the last days of the BritWres boom. Picking out just the people who went on to do more, that show featured:

Chris Brookes (in DDT)
Pete Dunne, Trent Seven, and Tyler Bate
Fire Ant (Orange Cassidy)
Kyle Fletcher (immediately pre Aussie Open)
Millie McKenzie (who went on to NXT UK)
Sylverhawk (Wheeler Yuta)
A-Kid (Axiom on NXT)
El Phantasmo (in NJPW)
Meiko Satomura (Meiko loving Satomura)
Cassandra Miyagi (Michiko Miyagi in GLEAT)

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I just want to say I miss Gavok's preshow summaries whenever there was a Chikara event. He was really good at summarizing the general insanity of their plot lines.

One of my favorite Indy things is when a guy is promoted as "former WWE Superstar" and you look them up and find out they were a jobber on a single Saturday Night Heat in 01. But I think I saw a new one, a wrestler promoting themselves as an "ECW Original" who I had never heard of. Turned out they wrestled 4 matches in ECW in 1998.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022

syzpid posted:

I just want to say I miss Gavok's preshow summaries whenever there was a Chikara event. He was really good at summarizing the general insanity of their plot lines.

One of my favorite Indy things is when a guy is promoted as "former WWE Superstar" and you look them up and find out they were a jobber on a single Saturday Night Heat in 01. But I think I saw a new one, a wrestler promoting themselves as an "ECW Original" who I had never heard of. Turned out they wrestled 4 matches in ECW in 1998.

Who was it??

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lamuella posted:

Remembering going to see King Of Trios in 2017, which in retrospect was a perfect confluence of weird era Chikara and the last days of the BritWres boom. Picking out just the people who went on to do more, that show featured:

Chris Brookes (in DDT)
Pete Dunne, Trent Seven, and Tyler Bate
Fire Ant (Orange Cassidy)
Kyle Fletcher (immediately pre Aussie Open)
Millie McKenzie (who went on to NXT UK)
Sylverhawk (Wheeler Yuta)
A-Kid (Axiom on NXT)
El Phantasmo (in NJPW)
Meiko Satomura (Meiko loving Satomura)
Cassandra Miyagi (Michiko Miyagi in GLEAT)

Man Quack is a turd but he had a good eye for talent, pretty great taste, and mystifyingly deep pockets (or great skill in convincing people to work cheap).

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

itsnews posted:

Who was it??

The Prodigette when she was in ECW, although she was a Valet for over a year and didn't wrestle much. But I have absolutely no memory of her and I watched ECW pretty religiously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Man Quack is a turd but he had a good eye for talent, pretty great taste, and mystifyingly deep pockets (or great skill in convincing people to work cheap).

He ran an indie in the late 2000s and 2010s, there was a lot of talent available. He was also very, very cheap. He was paying Hero peanuts even though Hero was the company's biggest star and trainer. The pay was so bad that it dominated the discourse about him leaving CHIKARA even though the rumored other reason (him sleeping with Shane Storm's girlfriend) was a pretty valid reason not to want to use him.