Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

I'm obsessed with that game, as this thread (and the horror thread) may know. :eng101:

I had a good time reading the wiki for this game (which I probably should not have done, but the premise was interesting so now I have spoiled myself on all of it).

Would it still be interesting to play if I know the major plot points? Seems like the kind of game that still might be enjoyable, since a lot of interesting stuff is separate from the main mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i should try paradise killer again, i put some time in it when it first came out but i got bored walking around

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ytlaya posted:

I had a good time reading the wiki for this game (which I probably should not have done, but the premise was interesting so now I have spoiled myself on all of it).

Would it still be interesting to play if I know the major plot points? Seems like the kind of game that still might be enjoyable, since a lot of interesting stuff is separate from the main mystery.

The mystery is obviously the main draw, but I could still see someone enjoying just being in that weird-rear end world and its "lore". :)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is paradise killer the visual novel version of cruelty squad?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

No, not even remotely. Not even comparable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's sortof like if a massive Dangan Ronpa investigation was the whole game? You just walk around platforming, solving puzzles, talking to people and investigating and once you feel like you have enough evidence you can start the trial.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 5, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I didn't like it because the mystery was incredibly bad and the trial was perfunctory

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh you know i heard of another mystery visual novel recently called misericorde that you might like instead~

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Meowywitch posted:

Is paradise killer the visual novel version of cruelty squad?

the visual novel version of cruelty squad is a game called producer 2021 that i am like one of twenty people who know it exists

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mix. posted:

the visual novel version of cruelty squad is a game called producer 2021 that i am like one of twenty people who know it exists

Oh!!! Thorhighheels did the music (same person who did the Umurangi Generation OST) but I had no idea it was for an actual game, I just knew of the album. I'll look into this one!

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh you know i heard of another mystery visual novel recently called misericorde that you might like instead~

Starting it tonight! Got a fat-rear end joint rolled and everything.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Honestly, Paradise Killer is more good in the "game you can chill and vibe to" sort of way like VA-11 Hall-A. I'd imagine there is overlap where people that like one probably like the other and people that don't like one probably don't like the other.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mix. posted:

I was gonna ask if there was such a thing, and here it is. Thank you.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

i should try paradise killer again, i put some time in it when it first came out but i got bored walking around

I really liked it by the end but for the first few hours I felt kind of aimless myself. It was hard to put context to the huge amount of random stuff to pick up scattered about, but once I started to understand what the actual mystery was and who all the characters and world were it made the process a lot more fun and engaging.

I guess if I could go back again and give myself any advice I'd just suggest initially trying to focus on investigating the mystery and getting to know the suspects instead of getting sidetracked by every item I could see that I'm worried I'll miss. You almost always will come back to that place later, and there's an item that more or less echolocates where everything is located around you. Actually trying to get that and the movement powers makes the game a lot smoother to play, and you can find them all very early.

MegaZeroX posted:

Honestly, Paradise Killer is more good in the "game you can chill and vibe to" sort of way like VA-11 Hall-A. I'd imagine there is overlap where people that like one probably like the other and people that don't like one probably don't like the other.

Yeah if you just feel like doing item collection it's an excellent podcast game.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finished Misericorde, gonna rotate these characters in my head for months while I try not to feel dread waiting for future volumes.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
paradise killer was definitely more of a sensory feast to me than any kind of interesting story. I was hoping to jump back in and chill some more when the RTX edition came out, but without any blood diamonds or clues left around to collect, running around just wasn't the same, so I stopped.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked the world and characters of PK, and exploring it was interesting enough once I just looked up where the upgrades were, but the ultimate payoff with the trial just felt so unsatisfying and really soured me on most of the experience. Fun vibes and "it's the journey not the destination" I suppose but just wasn't really my thing ultimately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the mystery itself was just bad too, and maybe I was expecting too much, but the only reason it's anything of a "mystery" is because they keep you from investigating the actual crime scene until the very end, because evidence you find there so obviously implicates certain characters that the trial is a formality

and the idea of "choose who you want to be guilty" ended up being kind of a damp squib

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Wow, buying nasty red avatar text for all of you LOSERS. :colbert:

Nah, I totally get it, Paradise Killer basically just my "This hole game was made for me!!!"...the only two things missing were NPCs having schedules or the player experiencing a time loop, haha. It was hella interesting reading how polarizing it was to y'all! :kiddo:

Redezga posted:

You almost always will come back to that place later, and there's an item that more or less echolocates where everything is located around you. Actually trying to get that and the movement powers makes the game a lot smoother to play, and you can find them all very early.

Yeah, save up for the movement abilities (the sauna/hot springs areas) ASAP. They're fairly cheap and will both speed up your traversal, as well as let you access more areas.

ANYWAY, I should have been asleep at midnight last night but stayed up until after 1 AM playing Misericorde instead. :cheers:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I initially skipped the foot baths because I didnt have a feel for how much currency I'd collect or the amount of times I wanted to fast travel and the foot baths looked like little flair additions that had no use and I had to conserve for fast travels gdi!

:downs:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
paradise killer is the GOAT and I wish I could wipe it from my memory so I could experience it all over again

Mindblast posted:

Man that sucks. I dont get motion sickness from video games and after playing Paradise Killer in full I feel bad about not picking it up earlier. I hope you can get it sorted. Its a good romp!

And holy gently caress that ost. What a bop. I have a hard time putting an exact word to it. I've seen people in yt comments refer to it as Vaporwave but when I check out that genre I don't get a lot of paradise killer like tracks. It feels like it has its own unique pace. Which is both great and sad because I want more and playing the ost on repeat doesn't magically make more songs pop out! :mad:

check out city pop, that's pretty close to the paradise killer ost genre

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mindhack came out in early access, which just means they're going to release chapters episodically. Currently has 3. It had a demo covering I guess just chapter 1 a while back, it had style but I didn't really get a feel for where it was going.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

check out city pop, that's pretty close to the paradise killer ost genre
Oh wow, what a rabbit hole I didn't even know existed. That Hiroshi Nagai art, holy poo poo.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 7, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Misericorde is pretty nice so far and a perfectly appropriate game for today, Good Friday, the day our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ died for our sins.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kinda surprised there's people posting who haven't previously fallen down a plastic love rabbit hole.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Snooze Cruise posted:

Actually there is a song in the game's music player called How Mysterious! But its a different song from the bandcamp one so dunno what is going on there.

Following up on this now that I've figured out how to crack open the .rpyc scripts and thus see definitively which music player names correspond to which audio files: "kookyloop2.mp3" is what the game labels as "How Mysterious!" (still idk what's up with it differing from the bandcamp version, though... might ask over in the official bugreport steam thread), while "Thinky_loop.mp3" is the song Clever Clogs, which *is* used in-game but is inexplicably excluded from the bandcamp listing atm?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh poo poo

!!!

And on the subject of datamining, here's a fun fact about this bit: her internal character name is "littleoldme", and her sprites are stored in a subfolder named "Bit nosy, aren't you" :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zyxyz posted:

And on the subject of datamining, here's a fun fact about this bit: [spoiler]her internal character name is "littleoldme", and her sprites are stored in a subfolder named "Bit nosy, aren't you" :allears:

lmao, that is great

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

woodenchicken posted:

Oh wow, what a rabbit hole I didn't even know existed. That Hiroshi Nagai art, holy poo poo.

If you want to go deeper explore start exploring lost media from the bubble era, there’s some great citypop that’s been dug up from that work.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Gaius Marius posted:

Kinda surprised there's people posting who haven't previously fallen down a plastic love rabbit hole.

AKA a "lovehole"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Misericorde! :munch: Slamming back another chapter as soon as I get home from work!

woodenchicken posted:

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

paradise killer is the GOAT and I wish I could wipe it from my memory so I could experience it all over again

:hai: :cheers: Y'all know what's up!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Process of Elimination is out (in english, it was released in japanese two years back). as a big death game fan, i am hyped.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Process of Elimination is out (in english, it was released in japanese two years back). as a big death game fan, i am hyped.

Oh, what the hell! I'm already playing Misericorde, eyeballing Paranormasight, and now MORE?! :shobon:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I love death games AND detectives boy oh boy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Love some trashy looking death games imo

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So I'm a long time lurker of the thread (and forums in general) and I must say Misericorde is wonderful. I don't know how far along I am, but thus far the things I have enjoyed:

1. Darcy
2. The general vibe around.. I guess histiography? I don't even know if it's a major theme yet but writing and translations and interpretations of the Bible in particular have come up several times.
3. Soup. Not the Superior, just that someone gets away with "Soup"
4. Darcy

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I'm a few hours into Corpse Factory, and what I thought I was getting into from the descriptions was a spooky horror murder game where people receive a picture of their own corpse with a timestamp on it predicting their date and manner of death because someone in their life sent their picture and phone number to the mysterious Corpse Girl website. I thought it'd be a fun old time of trying to work out what mysterious forces were sending these pictures, who in their life wished them dead, how will our plucky heroes escape their pre-ordained deaths etc.

Except after the prologue (which is exactly what I just described), the protagonist changes to an anxiety riddled anorexic mess of a lady who has an unrequited lesbian love in an old schoolmate (who has difficulty leaving her house due to her OCD and very politely turned down the MCs advances so they're still friends), who possibly has agoraphobia that she doesn't like taking the medication for because it always puts fat on her hips (see re: anorexia). Who... runs the Corpse Girl website for fun (and because it helps with her anxiety) and makes and sends photoshops of the people that get their pictures sent to the site. And how it is just... escalating and escalating - all the while trying to navigate office politics and her unrequited love slash obsession and accidental public panic attacks or having to hide in a bathroom because she's completely overwhelmed, all with an internal monologue from someone just packed with doubt and worries about misinterpreting peoples actions and not understanding other people.

It is WAY more interesting than I expected it to be, it's been a nice surprise, and drip-fed those details over the few hours I've played (hence putting that block in spoilers, just in case anyone else wants to experience that slow set of reveals).

It's got full english voice acting which is... not... bad, it's definitely... video game and anime voice acting but it isn't gratingly awful. There's a "gal" type character whose voice actor does a valley-girl-ish voice which is very appropriate for the character (and is encoded into the dialogue in text as well), which is certainly a choice.

Hopefully it'll stick the landing cos it's really fascinated me so far, I wasn't expecting a... sympathetic villain as the main character?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

tudabee posted:

So I'm a long time lurker of the thread (and forums in general) and I must say Misericorde is wonderful. I don't know how far along I am, but thus far the things I have enjoyed:

1. Darcy
2. The general vibe around.. I guess histiography? I don't even know if it's a major theme yet but writing and translations and interpretations of the Bible in particular have come up several times.
4. Darcy

More spoilery thoughts, again I don't know where I am in the story though most of these are musing on the early parts.

The assumption is that the person at the squint talking to the Anchoress was dead!Catherine, but the narrator mentions that voices are hard to distinguish through the door. I haven't seen the corpse yet, but enough people agree that someone died that it seems unreasonable to assume *nothing* happened. Still unconvinced the voice and the murdered and dead?!Catherine are all the same person.

Also they just have a belladonna plant. Allegedly dead?!Catherine was decapitated but that seems sus. Also you can decapitate corpses.

Dead?!Catherine apparently shirked her duties by not delivering letters, so I'm further unconvinced she [by which I mean the nun Catherine II] was the voice at the squint.

What the gently caress is the age of Hedwig. Claims to be cloistered for "twenty some odd years", but only just over a decade over Rosa, who is nineteen. I think seventeen is the younger end of taking vows so. wtf. I don't doubt the 1400s were built different but ten is still very baby to be a locked up nun.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

tudabee posted:

What the gently caress is the age of Hedwig. Claims to be cloistered for "twenty some odd years", but only just over a decade over Rosa, who is nineteen. I think seventeen is the younger end of taking vows so. wtf. I don't doubt the 1400s were built different but ten is still very baby to be a locked up nun.

Around 29. Age requirements were lower, but not that low yeah. But also something to keep in mind is that parents would send off kids to monasteries earlier to be oblates, and later they would take the vows.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

tudabee posted:

So I'm a long time lurker of the thread (and forums in general) and I must say Misericorde is wonderful.

I did a double-take the first time this popped up, ahaha.

Lord Bob posted:

I'm a few hours into Corpse Factory...

It is WAY more interesting than I expected it to be, it's been a nice surprise, and drip-fed those details over the few hours I've played (hence putting that block in spoilers, just in case anyone else wants to experience that slow set of reveals).

Oh my god, I cannot add more visual novels to my list right now! But I am! :argh:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

It took me until now to realize this post was not about Corpse Party, until now I was just agreeing "drat that is more interesting than I thought it was"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Misericorde theory: I instantly feel like they want us to think Katherine and Margaret are plotting some shady poo poo, but I think they're just doing gay stuff together. :kiddo:

Also :lol: at the head nun being too awkward to just say "Yeah, Margaret's our first black nun!" :allears: