Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I love my dad dearly but holy gently caress the man can be an uncalled for rear end in a top hat. He's coming down sick with a bad stomach bug and apparently (between sessions of emptying his stomach into the commode) insists mom is going to leave him, because she wouldn't stay back in the bedroom and lay with him.
She's going back to work (recovered from surgery) at the start of the next month, rear end in a top hat, she had a kind of important phone voice mail to answer!
I swear to gently caress. I was an absolute daddy's boy as a kid, he was my hero, I thought he could do no wrong. How did he go from that to this fragile masculinity PowerPoint of How Not To Act?

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I'm trying to make a sugar-free/dairy-free chocolate-orange drink to satisfy my menopause-pill-induced cravings. Cocoa powder is hydrophobic. The stuff for baking, I mean.

On the other hand, Dutch-processed cocoa powder really is better-tasting than whatever the other process is called. Even as floating chunks.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Because I tanked my credit during the pandemic I've been getting rejected from apartments close to my job despite currently paying more while also commuting 45 minutes.

I thought I had finally gotten an approval a couple days ago but turns out I actually have to wait till Monday for an official answer.

I've been looking for months and my current lease runs out at the beginning of May and I'm really stressing out about it now.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

:sigh:
They both got tested today. It's covid. Which means the illness I am just getting over this week probably was, too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:sigh:
They both got tested today. It's covid. Which means the illness I am just getting over this week probably was, too.

My friend is super excited because Japan FINALLY OPENED TO TOURISTS and so he is going on a week vacation there. Because Covid is over, you see.

He thinks I am paranoid for wearing a mask when I am checking on his cat while he's gone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you are going into a house or apartment that nobody has been in nor will be in for at least a day or two it is probably a bit paranoid to wear a mask, yes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend is super excited because Japan FINALLY OPENED TO TOURISTS and so he is going on a week vacation there. Because Covid is over, you see.

He thinks I am paranoid for wearing a mask when I am checking on his cat while he's gone.

Japan’s been opened to tourists for a while now, but they’re finally dropping proof of vaccination to enter. Which, is probably not a good look on your friend saying they’re “finally” open.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

if you are going into a house or apartment that nobody has been in nor will be in for at least a day or two it is probably a bit paranoid to wear a mask, yes.

I usually wear a mask when I house sit for him, because I'm literally going in long enough to feed the cat, refill the cat water, and then leave. So not sure if that's fully house sitting when I'm not actually staying over. But my friend is an odd one when it comes to masking, he wears a mask when he's going to the grocery store or to pretty much anywhere, and definitely complains about people not masking up, unless he's eating. Then he will gladly not wear a mask if he's at the theater eating popcorn, or going out to eat at a buffet. Because I guess if you're actively eating you don't need to worry about covid or something.

poo poo day at work because my department got the ax and we were moved to a new setup, we are down to half staff and even that is probably at least six or seven more people than we actually can use on hand because everything is so ridiculously slow. Everyday my manager selling business, and sending us emails in capital redatallic letters that we have to stay busy, but there's literally no work to be done.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My cousin is probably going to pass away soon.

He was rushed to the hospital the day before Easter, and he is in end stage liver failure. I knew he was a bit of a drinker from late teens to early thirties, but I guess no one knew how hard a toll it took on him. He has been better the past few years (not sober, but just what I would say a regular 30-something year-old guy drinks) but the damage has been done.

It's so severe, he's not eligible for a partial transplant, so he has to wait for a full liver. He's at least in a moderately sized metro area, so..uhh...the "donor pool" is bigger, but it's still not very likely.

He's only 40, same age as me, we grew up together, graduated HS together, etc...

I'm one of 21 cousins, aged 33-51, and obviously no one lives forever, but none of us would expect the first of us to go would be so soon.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

The hot plate I use to cook died while I was making dinner tonight. I had finished the sauce and putting water on to boil for the pasta when it gave out. Thankfully I still have a microwave and was able to use that to cook the pasta. Not ideal but it worked.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have blood clots in my lungs and can't breathe.

If I stop posting, please publish my browser history.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope it clears up soon.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Raising a mentally ill child is exhausting and every time we feel like we finally have a handle on things, the therapy/drugs/whatever stop working and we need to try something else. :smith:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's getting warm/hot in Phoenix now so I have a fan by my computer stand. Despite the fact we have done this for years, my elderly mom, who has no hearing difficulties, thinks I can hear her in another room when she is talking at a normal voice level. Which I can't hear over the fan. To the point if I talk back loudly to her, she snaps I need to watch my tone and not yell. Any time I try to explain that I myself can't hear her, it launches a fight always, ALWAYS about loving tone.

I've literally had her sit in my computer chair while I use her voice level in the other room so she can hear how little I actually can when the positions are reversed, but she ignores this and focuses on how disrespectful I sound and that I don't need to yell at her.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have my dental poo poo all figured out, with appointments at the ready next month to begin the process of total overhaul of my teeth and extracting over half a dozen of them in prep for implants. so of course one of the non-getting-extracted teeth decides a month away from my appointment to break in four pieces while I'm eating some rice.

had an absolutely fantastic day and got a ton accomplished, and then sat down to have dinner and one of my teeth exploded. excellent

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Not only did my rhubarb beer bread turn out bad (sour?), but the rhubarb destroyed the nonstick coating on my loaf pan. Anywhere the rhubarb touched, the coating came off when I washed it.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I wager you rue(barb) doing that!

:downsrim:

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Marcade posted:

I wager you rue(barb) doing that!

:downsrim:

:rowdytrout:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Can't get an eye appointment for 6 months, was planning to learn how to drive (I'm 34) but this delays that as well because I don't feel comfortable at all driving with my current vision.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Someone stole our car last night. Luckily they were idiots and immediately caught but drat it was a trip waking downstairs and being bamboozled at no car

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also til we are the ones who have to pay out of pocket to get our stolen car out of police impound

Cops, bastards, etc

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also til we are the ones who have to pay out of pocket to get our stolen car out of police impound

Cops, bastards, etc

Report a second theft.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Haven't talked to my friend in almost a month because of her work schedule, but we chatted briefly last night and she said she'd have time tonight so we could catch up. I waited for about an hour before I gave up to bed, turns out her 4-year-old still has her under her thumb because the kid doesn't feel like going to bed at 8:00 and now stays up until 9:00 throwing a fit.

Just reminds me I would be bad as a parent because I would not handle that poo poo, I'd cancel fun after dinner stuff and start bed rituals at 7 so kid was down by 8.

edit: kiddo is apparently having a rough time with weeks-long visit from grandma over, school's out, and dance class ended.

it's been years since I nannied and I took care of kids about that age, and dear gods I hated the time after their grandma would leave because all the usual schedule went loving off, and naptime/routine was loving gone. Grandma didn't care that the kids knew/were being taught to clean up things, nah, just leave poo poo all over, she'll pick it up! You eat whatever you want! Movies all day! No set bedtime.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jun 2, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mouse problems. a mouse set up shop in a cabinet with a bunch of various items in it, including a nice piece of converted warhammer terrain, which the mouse had further converted into its nest. I cleared out that level of the cabinet and set up a mousetrap with a piece of paper underneath to catch any blood spatter. it returned today and tripped the trap, but didn't quite get caught. basically one of those scenes in a movie where the person pulls away from a sword or something in slow motion and only gets like, a slash across the eye or something, which is what happened here, it lost its eye and was stunned from the close call. since it survived, I was going to catch it and throw it into the woods, but by the time I grabbed a container to put it in, it had partially regained its senses and started freaking out, running everywhere and bleeding all over. trying to get it in the container, I managed to corner it and it hopped in, but right as I went to close the lid it came flying back out and ran under the couch, and by the time I looked under, it had disappeared. so there's a mouse bleeding everywhere and there's a pretty good chance it's going to die in the walls or something and stink up the place, or wind up coming back and killing itself on the trap for good this time, but it's made a hell of a bloody mess in the meantime that I'm going to have to clean up.

the traps I use are these victor quick kill reusable traps, they're incredibly consistent and effective, they kill instantly and with generally less gore than a classic snaptrap. I'd say they work 9 times out of 10, but when they don't succeed like in this case, it often winds up with a limb trapped and then the mouse gnaws it off and bleeds everywhere, or like what happened today. I use them because it causes the least amount of suffering when the mouse gets caught properly since it's an instant kill, but I'm starting to want to get bucket lid style traps to just have a mass slaughter machine because the mice are getting ridiculous. they are coming inside from the nearby forest, and they're endless. the house has a cobblestone foundation, so there's basically no chance of keeping them out entirely, since the house is over a hundred years old and there's any number of places they can get in from.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kiddo was so disruptive in class that I was called in to take her home. They don't normally do this because you don't want a child getting it into their head that they're being rewarded for being awful, but apparently we've unlocked a new tier of "what the gently caress do we even do at this point?"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Quiet Feet posted:

Kiddo was so disruptive in class that I was called in to take her home. They don't normally do this because you don't want a child getting it into their head that they're being rewarded for being awful, but apparently we've unlocked a new tier of "what the gently caress do we even do at this point?"

part of me seriously wants to know what happened. another part makes me fear i'd sound like the usual rear end in a top hat going "well in my day we would never!"

i mean, a few years ago one of my nephews figured out his mom's credit card was still linked to his PC, so he bought $50 of Roblux coins. then ten minutes later, he did it again for a total of $100. then big brain time: he realized he could get in trouble and the coins proved he had taken the money. so he quickly spent all of it in poo poo in the game store. come morning, his mom saw the two transactions, and after he denied it and said she must have gotten hacked, she called the bank, canceled all the credit cards, called whatever company owns Roblux and tried to get the money back, it was several days worth of work, and every time she asked him if he was SURE he didn't do it, he insisted he had not. finally it was proven that he had stolen the money and spent it all, and instead of a punishment, his mom just was relieved they weren't hacked, and told him No More Game for a few weeks.

IIRC they let him back on to play a few days later and there was no actual punishment. all i could think was, assuming I had had the brain cells to steal like that, my parents would have loving bombed any of my poo poo if this happened today, as in no tv, no computer save for school, no cell phone other than some text-only jitterbug for emergencies, all allowance going to pay back what i stole, any and all birthday and Xmas money going for the same. it would have been months before i had enough to pay anything back, and i would have been terrified to steal anything again.

same with my friend from above; we had a talk last night and she was irate because her kid kept screaming nonstop. She wanted out of bed. Wanted water. Wanted cuddles, and then as soon as mom came in, she'd start screaming no cuddles, no hugs, no water, no no no. Mom would leave, kid goes back to cry-screaming she is scared and wants Mom. Mom comes back in, screaming NO cuddles, no hugs, doesn't want Mom! this went on for some time. and all i could think was, well gently caress, you keep going in to check on her, after the first time, don't do it again? then again kids screaming puts anyone on edge.

so what do you do that gets the message across to knock it off, you need to be quiet and go to sleep, without going extreme in the other direction? bribery with stickers works for some kids but not others, and the time to do that is before the meltdowns happen. and kids exist to push boundaries but damnit i would lose my temper the second time the kid started screaming about no bedtime.

lovely day because my period started, and the day or two before i am usually an anxious mess, but this week it was anxiety mixed with depression and i just want to get all this bloody poo poo out of me and never deal with it again. but menopause doesn't sound fun either.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Attempting to make a blueberry pound cake, first time ever. Between using still-frozen blueberries and adding water for high-altitude, I got it too moist and have to try extending the cooking time a few minutes at a time.

And just realized I'd turned the oven off, which is why it is taking so long. If I can keep the top from burning too much, the remainder of the cake will taste yummy, according to the batter I scraped off the knife after testing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
So like, loving years ago I backed the loving Four Souls expanded Binding of Isaac card game on kickstarter. The project was delayed and delayed and loving delayed, for -- I might be wrong, but by the time it shipped it might have been three years late? Well in that loving time I moved -- twice! Each time I updated my address with Kickstarter. But apparently, there was some loving time frame, way back in loving February, that said if I changed my address after that, I would need to talk to USPS about where to deliver it. So I'm waiting for this loving game, and it finally ships, just over a month ago. I double checked and my address was right -- but it had been updated after that February window, and I never read that loving update. So a month later I finally am like, where the gently caress is my loving package? Oh, it was left at the doorstop of my last place, and I'm hosed out of money, hosed out of waiting for three loving years for this, hosed because for some dumb loving reason addresses changed after a specific date four months before being shipped would not be used?

I know a full 80% of kickstarter endeavors end in disappointment but this was my first time trying to back anything and I'm loving mad about it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

So like, loving years ago I backed the loving Four Souls expanded Binding of Isaac card game on kickstarter. The project was delayed and delayed and loving delayed, for -- I might be wrong, but by the time it shipped it might have been three years late? Well in that loving time I moved -- twice! Each time I updated my address with Kickstarter. But apparently, there was some loving time frame, way back in loving February, that said if I changed my address after that, I would need to talk to USPS about where to deliver it. So I'm waiting for this loving game, and it finally ships, just over a month ago. I double checked and my address was right -- but it had been updated after that February window, and I never read that loving update. So a month later I finally am like, where the gently caress is my loving package? Oh, it was left at the doorstop of my last place, and I'm hosed out of money, hosed out of waiting for three loving years for this, hosed because for some dumb loving reason addresses changed after a specific date four months before being shipped would not be used?

I know a full 80% of kickstarter endeavors end in disappointment but this was my first time trying to back anything and I'm loving mad about it.

can you contact the people at your old address and get it shipped back to you?

I set some water to boil today to hardboil eggs, and forgot it, and only found out after all the water had boiled away, and almost ruined the pot and possibly the stove.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Cowslips Warren posted:

can you contact the people at your old address and get it shipped back to you?

The thing is, it's been there a month. I don't think they've just been hanging on to it for a month waiting for someone to ask about it. So if I call... there's only one outcome where I can get the game, but many outcomes where I don't, and many of those outcomes might involve being lied to. It's just not worth it at this point; I'm almost certainly not getting the game back and contacting the people at the address I think will lead to me just being angrier.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

The thing is, it's been there a month. I don't think they've just been hanging on to it for a month waiting for someone to ask about it. So if I call... there's only one outcome where I can get the game, but many outcomes where I don't, and many of those outcomes might involve being lied to. It's just not worth it at this point; I'm almost certainly not getting the game back and contacting the people at the address I think will lead to me just being angrier.

At least complain to kickstarter. If you complain at them there is a real chance they'll get you a new copy sent to the correct address.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

credburn posted:

the lesson is, never try

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

the lesson is, never try

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dawn of war quotes are the way to live :hai:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
A really minor one compared to some of yours, but today I dropped one of my girlfriend's guinea pigs while cleaning the cage.

We found him right away, he immediately ran for cover under the couch and we were able to get him back in the cage with no further issues but it still spooked them pretty badly. I'd just gotten them to the point where they were beginning to trust me and were finally chlling out about being handled and now we're almost starting again from scratch.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This didn't make my day lovely but dang it I want to whine a little bit into the void! A few days ago my 10 year old son was like "dad, you should stop using snus, its bad and harmful for your teeth and health :words: " and in the word deluge Im thinking to myself, what the hell kind of counter argument can I muster here? I could have pulled the "I make the rules here, kid" card, but I feel like that would definitely not be a good look, as a parent and someone who wants to set a good example. No my child, I will not stop using the harmful, carcinogenic substance that offers zero benefits. I'm The Adult Here. Lol no. So I said okay, and now three days later I'm fiending so bad. I have been shoving that poo poo under my lip for 12 years, and I'm feeling it lol

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

If it means anything, I genuinely respect you for realizing you didn't have a counter-argument and actually trying to stop. :hellyeah:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Biplane posted:

This didn't make my day lovely but dang it I want to whine a little bit into the void! A few days ago my 10 year old son was like "dad, you should stop using snus, its bad and harmful for your teeth and health :words: " and in the word deluge Im thinking to myself, what the hell kind of counter argument can I muster here? I could have pulled the "I make the rules here, kid" card, but I feel like that would definitely not be a good look, as a parent and someone who wants to set a good example. No my child, I will not stop using the harmful, carcinogenic substance that offers zero benefits. I'm The Adult Here. Lol no. So I said okay, and now three days later I'm fiending so bad. I have been shoving that poo poo under my lip for 12 years, and I'm feeling it lol
listen to your kid, he is wise beyond his years.

just remember your craving is the addiction desperately trying to claw its way back into you, and if you can weather the storm, you'll be better off for it. while not exactly the same thing, I had a similar reaction to quitting soda, the caffeine craving was SERIOUS and I was having real trouble keeping away from it, but eventually it waned and subsided entirely, and I'm better off for it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Appreciate the kind thoughts! Today my son was like "dad why are you sweating so much" and I had to launch into a short explanation on addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Now keep track of how much not buying that stuff saves you and buy that kid the biggest Lego you can find (or whatever they like).