Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Xenix posted:

Is pursuing a repair even worth my time, or is an almost 10 year old unit with known bad hardware just a lost cause at this point?

It really just depends on your budget. If you've got plenty of time to tinker with it and replacing it with a new unit is not feasible right now, maybe continue to pursue it. Since it's already so old and out of warranty, I'd be looking at getting a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
What do you think the expected lifespan of a NAS appliance is, anyway? I'm mulling over buying a few larger drives for my Synology box, but I'm also wary of putting fresh new drives into outdated/unsupported hardware.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

spincube posted:

What do you think the expected lifespan of a NAS appliance is, anyway? I'm mulling over buying a few larger drives for my Synology box, but I'm also wary of putting fresh new drives into outdated/unsupported hardware.

If you only use it as a NAS and don't try to run container workloads on it it should suffice for a decade most likely. Unless you're saturating a 10 gig link you're not likely to have to worry about asking for more than that processor can handle.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In modern solid-state commodity hardware, what typically fails first is the thing that gets the hottest - so if you can keep everything cool, it shouldn't be a problem to get more than a decade out of it.
As a recent example with a sample size of 1, my workstation got to 11 years before it gave out on me.

There aren't really problems with spinning rust, other than the part about not being solid-state.
You won't typically run into situations like the MBR being limited to 2TB disks because the LBA field is only a 32bit signed integer (which is admittedly an odd choice, for a field that can only have positive values - but being unsigned wouldn't have fixed the issue), and that's just about the only thing I can think of in "recent" memory that's led to compatibility issues of the kind I think you're talking about.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

spincube posted:

Depends on a lot of factors but from my experience & small sample size, I'm replacing drives every 4-5 years and replacing the machine every 12-15 years.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I just decommissioned a Nimble SAN from about 9 years ago because the drives and everything was way, way out of warranty and it was cheaper to build our own compared to HP's pricing (we did the TCO and it made more sense building given business requirements). The hardware like controllers were straight up failing and about 10% of the drives were in various states of irrecoverable failure modes.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What is the current state of DIY hardware for TrueNAS? My Atom C3*** series finally bit the dust and wont boot, and this is the second board that has died due to that manufacturing bug. I doubt ASRock is going to RMA it based on the age, but assuming I want to go TrueNAS so I can just import over my data and I really just need the hardware to sit there and hold information with the occasional 1080p movie being streamed to Kodi, what should I be looking at?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KKKLIP ART posted:

What is the current state of DIY hardware for TrueNAS? My Atom C3*** series finally bit the dust and wont boot, and this is the second board that has died due to that manufacturing bug. I doubt ASRock is going to RMA it based on the age, but assuming I want to go TrueNAS so I can just import over my data and I really just need the hardware to sit there and hold information with the occasional 1080p movie being streamed to Kodi, what should I be looking at?

How many disks do you need? There are basically laptop mobos with intel CPUs with 6 sata ports slapped on out there for $150

Other then that if you want ECC AMD offers it on its consumer stuff so folks go with that plus a HBA.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you just want a handful of disks and would rather the hardware be cheap than compact, used E3 Xeon tower servers like the HP ML30s some folks got on eBay a while back are also an option that still has ECC unlike just using an old gaming desktop or whatever. Power consumption should be fairly reasonable, unlike rackmount stuff with true server-class platforms, but if you need to modify anything it might not be compatible with normal aftermarket parts (as far as fans, case, PSU etc. - obviously drives and PCIe cards should be standard).

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 10, 2023

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Is there anything useful to do with small, low endurance (256 GB, ca. 70 TB endurance) SSD disks? I run plain old zraid2 on my spinning rust without cache.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

SuperMicro has continued making new motherboards based on the various embedded versions of Xeon chips like the D-1500, D-1700, D-2100, and D-2700.

Unfortunately, they haven't done what I was really hoping for, and gone and made a board based on the the low-power Zen3 chips.

Kivi posted:

Is there anything useful to do with small, low endurance (256 GB, ca. 70 TB endurance) SSD disks? I run plain old zraid2 on my spinning rust without cache.
If you overprovision them (or they're smart enough to figure out how to use unpartitioned diskspace if you partition them correctly), and the pool supports allocation classes (you can find out by checking zpool get all), you have the option of having metadata (and small files, which are what raidz struggles most with) allocated to a pair of mirrored devices (they have to be mirrored, since the metadata and small files aren't stored anywhere else), which will speed up things by a not-inconsiderable amount.
Since the pool was created without it, you'll need to re-write the data for the metadata of the new data to end up in the right place - but you can do this with zfs send|receive and zfs rename.

It uses the 'special' vdev class (in the same class as log and cache vdevs), though - so I'd recommend making sure you know what you're doing by setting up a test-pool using files made with truncate(1), before putting it into production.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 10, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finished swapping my home server from a SilverStone ML-05 case (kinda HTPC) into a Fractal Design Node 304, which I've built in before and really like.

Not only is it completely quiet in terms of fans with the stock fan controller set to low, the rubber grommet isolation of the HDD to the chassis means also no longer hear any HDD noise (a single WD Red 12tb). I had the drive 2-way taped to the chassis of the silverstone case before and it felt like it was shaking my room with all the normal HDD noise.

https://i.imgur.com/OWrc598.mp4

Hugely recommend this case to anyone who wants a quiet relatively small case that can fit 6 HDDs. If your system needs a PSU though be aware it can get pretty tight. This motherboard is powered by an external brick and has a header to provide SATA power to the drives.

e: lol just noticed I knocked one of the rubber grommets out in that video. gently caress guess I'm looking for that today.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Fractal stuff is properly good, I've just finished a new build in a node 804, would also recommend.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Charles Leclerc posted:

Fractal stuff is properly good, I've just finished a new build in a node 804, would also recommend.

Node 804 crew checking in! It's an awesome case. Tons of airflow around the drives and it's a pleasure to build a system in. Now I just need some RGB in my NAS to take advantage of that sweet window.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a node 804 build sitting half completed and I'm still contemplating if I want to bother putting an idle RTX2070 in for transcoding duty or not. I guess I should, why not.

Fractal stuff rules though, I have a torrent for my gaming case and it's fantastic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I have a custom watercooling loop in a Meshify 2 XL and it's been pretty great.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Use a fractal r7 for my 90tb of storage.

Also tested out smb and was getting 500 mb/s read/write.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Actually is this also kinda the home media server thread to some extent? I have an older AMD APU in my NAS/plex server I posted above and it's fine until it needs to transcode something and then it really suffers, it's basically not able to do it. This hasn't been a huge problem so far because all the devices in my home are doing native playback, but as I extend the Plex service to my friends and stuff I'd like to know that it's up to the task.

Are there new AMD APUs coming out soon, or did a cycle just drop?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is your AMD APU actually using Video Core Next (the AMD equivalent to Intel QuickSync and nvidia nvenc)?

I'm pretty sure Plex only supports VAAPI (ie. Intel QuickSync) unless you use some patched version, and that being one of the major reasons why JellyFin exists.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is your AMD APU actually using Video Core Next (the AMD equivalent to Intel QuickSync and nvidia nvenc)?

I'm pretty sure Plex only supports VAAPI (ie. Intel QuickSync) unless you use some patched version, and that being one of the major reasons why JellyFin exists.

Yeah doesn't look like it, it's an AMD 5350.

Unless you meant Video Code Engine but it doesn't sound like it.

e: I wouldn't be opposed to an intel solution I guess with iGPU down the road. If so, I'm hoping I can find another motherboard that takes an external power source because I hate having to run a discreet PSU if I don't need to.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah doesn't look like it, it's an AMD 5350.

Unless you meant Video Code Engine but it doesn't sound like it.

e: I wouldn't be opposed to an intel solution I guess with iGPU down the road. If so, I'm hoping I can find another motherboard that takes an external power source because I hate having to run a discreet PSU if I don't need to.
Ah, that's way back in the Puma era, which means it supports UVD 4.2 - so in theory it should support h264, but in practice Plex still can't use it (because, again, they only implement VAAPI, and AMD has historically used VDPAU).

EDIT: 12th gen Intel iGPUs should be capable of doing AV1 encode/decode, which is the next big thing when it comes video codecs.
AMD appears to be planning to add it to all their RDNA3 capable GPUs (which, presumably, include the built-in GPUs for APUs), but there aren't any of those out yet.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 10, 2023

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

freeasinbeer posted:

How many disks do you need? There are basically laptop mobos with intel CPUs with 6 sata ports slapped on out there for $150

Other then that if you want ECC AMD offers it on its consumer stuff so folks go with that plus a HBA.

I think my current plan is to get the dog poo poo cheapest one that I can get TrueNAS running on and get a Synology unit and copy my stuff over. I don’t do anything special and currently have 2 disks but kind of want to move to one of the 4 disk units

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ah, that's way back in the Puma era, which means it supports UVD 4.2 - so in theory it should support h264, but in practice Plex still can't use it (because, again, they only implement VAAPI, and AMD has historically used VDPAU).

EDIT: 12th gen Intel iGPUs should be capable of doing AV1 encode/decode, which is the next big thing when it comes video codecs.
AMD appears to be planning to add it to all their RDNA3 capable GPUs (which, presumably, include the built-in GPUs for APUs), but there aren't any of those out yet.

Cool I appreciate it, it works pretty well for what it is now and I do not ever intend for a GPU to be in this machine as I would then require a PSU (probably inevitable but still).

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Would that case take an SFF PSU? Might help down the road. There seem to be a few GaN based PSUs now too that are tiny yet still do 250w and have modular ATX connectors.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

spincube posted:

Speaking specifically to Synology units, their officially-unofficial target is 10+ years of DSM support for any given hardware. e.g. If you're running a 14-series or later, it'll still get at least bug fixes and security support until at least next year.

That said, spare parts (and specifically drive tray) availability can occasionally be a concern.

And that's obviously all assuming a CPU without a penchant for suicide.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Things I've learned today: You can't expand a QNAP storage pool onto a JBOD enclosure; it has to be its own separate pool. At least with the TVS-x72XT + TL-D800S combo I have here.

Not a huge problem, it's just holding archived runs from a panel sequencing machine and doesn't need to be a single unified pool - but still a bit dumb.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aware posted:

Would that case take an SFF PSU? Might help down the road. There seem to be a few GaN based PSUs now too that are tiny yet still do 250w and have modular ATX connectors.

It would, it would also take any 160mm ATX PSU. It's more a matter of not wanting to put one in and make the system possibly a little louder, warmer, etc. I know a lot of PSUs have ECO mode with fans off but I'd rather not start spending ECO mode kind of money on my little home server if I can avoid it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ah fair enough. This lead me down a rabbit hole looking for DC-DC ATX PSUs and I ended up bookmarking these for the future
https://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=981

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

freeasinbeer posted:

Any that you recommend for currently 2 disks but I think for redundancy 4 maximum when I rebuild?

SuperMicro has continued making new motherboards based on the various embedded versions of Xeon chips like the D-1500, D-1700, D-2100, and D-2700.

Unfortunately, they haven't done what I was really hoping for, and gone and made a board based on the the low-power Zen3 chips.

Do you have any that you would recommend? My use case is about as low-end as it gets, it'll just sit and hold files.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aware posted:

Ah fair enough. This lead me down a rabbit hole looking for DC-DC ATX PSUs and I ended up bookmarking these for the future
https://hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Nice! This one is already configured for Plex!

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Any that you recommend for currently 2 disks but I think for redundancy 4 maximum when I rebuild?

Do you have any that you would recommend? My use case is about as low-end as it gets, it'll just sit and hold files.

AliExpress: US $127.00 | BKHD-N510X-NAS-I22X Intel Celeron N5105 N5100 Motherboard 6* SATA3.0 2.5G Nics Mini ITX 17x17CM Soft Routing 2*DDR4 Firewall
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msnzPxm

Plenty of folks have been buying a form of these to ack as routers, and there was a kickstarter to launch a similar build.

I own a router style one and it works great. I also have two other form factors that use an intel 5105 or intel 6005 and love them.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

If you overprovision them (or they're smart enough to figure out how to use unpartitioned diskspace if you partition them correctly), and the pool supports allocation classes (you can find out by checking zpool get all), you have the option of having metadata (and small files, which are what raidz struggles most with) allocated to a pair of mirrored devices (they have to be mirrored, since the metadata and small files aren't stored anywhere else), which will speed up things by a not-inconsiderable amount.
Since the pool was created without it, you'll need to re-write the data for the metadata of the new data to end up in the right place - but you can do this with zfs send|receive and zfs rename.

It uses the 'special' vdev class (in the same class as log and cache vdevs), though - so I'd recommend making sure you know what you're doing by setting up a test-pool using files made with truncate(1), before putting it into production.
Disks are quadruplet of 951/961 Samsungs so they should be fine, albeit with poo poo quality NAND being OEM disks.

I'll have a look but tbh sounds more of a risk than benefit at the moment. Most of the array is used for uhm, video backups, that are procured first on NVMe and then copied over to slow rust for long term storage so performance and fragmentation isn't an issue at the moment.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

A used X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F would be a good board that should last a long time.

Unregistered/Unbuffered ECC DDR4 is fairly inexpensive nowadays at around $45/16GB DIMM, and should help with system stability over long periods of uptime.

Kivi posted:

Disks are quadruplet of 951/961 Samsungs so they should be fine, albeit with poo poo quality NAND being OEM disks.

I'll have a look but tbh sounds more of a risk than benefit at the moment. Most of the array is used for uhm, video backups, that are procured first on NVMe and then copied over to slow rust for long term storage so performance and fragmentation isn't an issue at the moment.
Ah, for "home video" backup - yeah I agree that it doesn't make sense to use allocation classes to put metadata on their own N-way mirror.
The only thing it'd affect would be when you're browsing files in explorer/finder/whatever.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 12, 2023

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

freeasinbeer posted:

AliExpress: US $127.00 | BKHD-N510X-NAS-I22X Intel Celeron N5105 N5100 Motherboard 6* SATA3.0 2.5G Nics Mini ITX 17x17CM Soft Routing 2*DDR4 Firewall
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msnzPxm

Plenty of folks have been buying a form of these to ack as routers, and there was a kickstarter to launch a similar build.

I own a router style one and it works great. I also have two other form factors that use an intel 5105 or intel 6005 and love them.

The intel N6005 ones seem interesting, just need to see if the Intel 226 NICs are supported.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

KKKLIP ART posted:

The intel N6005 ones seem interesting, just need to see if the Intel 226 NICs are supported.

I just hope they are better than the 225, which has been a constant source of annoyance across three OSes.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also a heads up the m.2 slots are x1 so not full speed.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

freeasinbeer posted:

Also a heads up the m.2 slots are x1 so not full speed.

Yeah I saw that. I’m just going slap a cheap WD Blue for OS purposes. The 500GB, which is overkill, is like $30.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
There's also at least one dual i225 N100 model available now too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZH87GPK/?th=1

Substantially more expensive than the AliExpress listing, but it appears to come with 16GB of DDR5 and a 500GB SSD so I'd guess that makes up most of the difference.

e: Oh whoops, got confused with another discussion (maybe the home networking thread?) and thought we were discussing mini-PCs instead of mini-ITX motherboards. Sorry, ignore me.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 12, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

What the hell is TrueCharts doing? "You need to reinstall all your apps now, because reasons. We will not explain why unless you join our support discord, maybe. Locked."

This isn't even the first breaking change they've done in the last six months. At this point it seems easier to just run everything in a VM rather than using TrueNAS' own app system and waiting for them to just blow up your installations because it makes something easier for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

power crystals posted:

What the hell is TrueCharts doing? "You need to reinstall all your apps now, because reasons. We will not explain why unless you join our support discord, maybe. Locked."

This isn't even the first breaking change they've done in the last six months. At this point it seems easier to just run everything in a VM rather than using TrueNAS' own app system and waiting for them to just blow up your installations because it makes something easier for them.

poo poo like this is souring me on the entire TrueNAS ecosystem. Sure, Scale is still under heavy development and isn't really to be considered as prod ready, but seriously? :cripes: