Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Spiteski posted:

I am not an economist... but that sounds absolutely bonkers right? Like, can someone explain this like I am an idiot? (I am) why there is a MINIMUM unemployment?

Another argument for having a pool of unemployed people ready to work is that if a company wants to grow and increase production then they can take on new employees easily. If there were no unemployment then they would have to attract employees from another enterprise. This would decrease the productivity of that company. So the economy won’t grow under that scenario. So there is an argument in favour of having a pool of labour ready to deploy. How we as a society treat those people is left outside of this analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
In retrospect, when economists said 'building a giant rocket to launch every economist into the Sun' was 'uneconomical', we should have ignored them

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, the delta forces involved do make it pretty impractical.

Using 'em as a study on the radioactive forces at play during interplanetary travel would also happen to yield useful (if grisly) data.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Varkk posted:

Another argument for having a pool of unemployed people ready to work is that if a company wants to grow and increase production then they can take on new employees easily. If there were no unemployment then they would have to attract employees from another enterprise. This would decrease the productivity of that company. So the economy won’t grow under that scenario. So there is an argument in favour of having a pool of labour ready to deploy. How we as a society treat those people is left outside of this analysis.

This isn't accurate unless you think the output of a worker is fixed and is independent of working conditions etc at the companies.

Like if you have a business that makes widgets and an average worker there makes 100 a day and another business that makes widgets but because they have some automation or w/e the gently caress they make 500 a day instead then it would be an increase to have workers shift from A to B. Same logic across industries.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is labour theory of value

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Man the greens really love stupid foot guns in election years huh https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/487463/green-mp-elizabeth-kerekere-calls-chloe-swarbrick-a-crybaby-in-group-chat

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://i.imgur.com/G2wkQTd.mp4

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
That clip is incredible.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

when you get that hot gos

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

When u so upset by bad press you stop selling the press

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When u so upset by bad press you stop selling the press

How many people were paying $3 for a paper and can they charge you for WiFi on the ferry?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A lot, and I don't think they charge but it barely worked anyway

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Chlöe needs to start her own party then I won't have to vote for the greens anymore.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

i was wondeing where the orchestra was coming from

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ghahraman looks like she'd be fun to gossip with.

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

I heard again this rumor that Cameron Slater has had yet another stroke or series of strokes or that the result of his last stroke is bad and causing continuing complications, and he is not in good shape and trying to hide it from the media. One poster in a telegram group chat said he was incontinent but I cannot confirm any of this and it may be a total fabrication

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cool thanks for the update

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mweb posted:

I heard again this rumor that Cameron Slater has had yet another stroke or series of strokes or that the result of his last stroke is bad and causing continuing complications, and he is not in good shape and trying to hide it from the media. One poster in a telegram group chat said he was incontinent but I cannot confirm any of this and it may be a total fabrication

I am just going to assume this is true regardless, because it makes me feel like there really is karmic justice in the world.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mweb posted:

Couple of close family members have had bad strokes, and it's awful and crippling and heartbreaking and Slater deserves every second of that misery.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He better get in.
https://twitter.com/FranHernaNZ/status/1644076575288336391?s=20

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

bike tory posted:

I am just going to assume this is true regardless, because it makes me feel like there really is karmic justice in the world.

counterpoint: kissinger

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
with tourism back on the menu i think it's high time to undervalue the nzd and start printing $500 notes with jacinda on it

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
billy t james $10000 note

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Happy easter yall.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Bunnies don't have a cloaca!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The news is telling me that experts say our fresh water situation is an appalling environmental catastrophe. The government is hard at work doing something about this, right?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Slavvy posted:

The news is telling me that experts say our fresh water situation is an appalling environmental catastrophe. The government is hard at work doing something about this, right?

of course! it's a high priority for all parties in parliament

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Shh don't tell the farmers or they'll drive to parliament and Labour won't do poo poo about it...wait

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

look, i'm sure that local councils are any minute now going to start rigorously applying the national policy statement for freshwater 2020 and we'll see a huge turn-around in water quality. i mean, the only other alternative i can see is to move local freshwater assets to some kind of - and i'm just spitballing ideas here - larger central management agency to ensure standards are applied equally across electorates.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's crazy that no one's pointing fingers at sharon stewart over the auckland floods

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Whelp, got a mortgage pre-approved. 150k in deposit, 450k in mortgage.

Now, where's a house that's under 600k in New Zealand?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nightcaps

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hope this helps and good luck!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's Tuarangi Road you clowns

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i don't remember why but one time i found this phrase i had written and forgotten, which i assume is meant to be sung to the tune of "Hold On, I'm Comin'":

now if i ever... live on Tuarangi Road... poo poo on me... when times get bad...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WarpedNaba posted:

Trade me shows 835 properties under 600k in the wellington region, though some of those are 19m2 rabbit hutches/bare patches of scrub

e: 166 with three bedrooms, to cut out both those things

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

That's the 1-2br apartment or townhouse range.

exmarx posted:

it's crazy that no one's pointing fingers at sharon stewart over the auckland floods

I think she's probably not been named by the media coverage because no one knows who the gently caress she is. Same with how the CDEM people aren't being named, just their roles. I'm pretty sure she's mentioned in the report.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm told the Scene apartments are very affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Slavvy posted:

Hope this helps and good luck!

Heritage shed!

bike tory posted:

I think she's probably not been named by the media coverage because no one knows who the gently caress she is. Same with how the CDEM people aren't being named, just their roles. I'm pretty sure she's mentioned in the report.

Yeah the report notes that the CDEM clearly hasn't been doing dick under her chairship, but I guess the simple fact that she's a long term elected representative of Howick is a strong indicator that she's gently caress useless, as is tradition in East Auckland politics.