Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
people were posting their positions in the thread, it was kind of a bandwagon effect. the tally came from counting through posts. the counted assumed that no sold out of their position unless they announced it, and that everyone was telling the truth about how many shares they bought, so the count should be take with a grain of salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The board thing was a decimal error iirc, but I think it was nomjnally almost 1%.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Scarodactyl posted:

The board thing was a decimal error iirc, but I think it was nomjnally almost 1%.

A few goons had bought an embarrassing number of shares, and the thread had the slow realization of what was going on. I sold whatever I had and came out ahead, just before it nosedived.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hey I still have nine shares!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
an abridged list of some of my current funmoney account stocks

HGEN -99.1%
NDRA -95.5%
AMST -89.9%
SRGA -86.9%
MSOS -86.3%
TLS -86.2%

i 'am having so much fun

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

New goon project: I’ll buy $2k of some failing small company stock if there’s enough goon money to elect me as a director at the next meeting

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Give NDRA credit, they nearly pulled off the pivot from sous videing rats to detecting fatty liver disease. If only somebody over there knew how to apply for FDA approval...

vvv that quoted Space Fish post below was from May 16, 2021. On a split adjusted basis NDRA closed at $41/sh during the previous trading session. Today it closed at $2.05, for a nice and even 95% drawdown :stare:

Agronox fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 13, 2023

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Skunkduster posted:

Was there a discord server or something where somebody tallied up all the shares goons owned? Just wondering how you would even begin to know how many shares goons had.

Space Fish posted:

Okay, after combing through the $GOON responses up to the time of this post, here are the forum stats:

62 goons owning 105,160 shares representing $223,805.19 in total* dollar value, with an average cost basis among degenerate gamblers of $2.19.

This puts SomethingAwful's users between Vanguard (97,900 shares / $234,960) and HN Saltoro Capital LP (193, 855 shares / $465,252) as the #7 stakeholder in $GOON.

*If users crimedog, djfooboo, PokeJoe, Mr. F, and Artonos would like to share their cost basis, that would refine the dollar value estimate. No pressure!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

In the US there's both a shortage of housing and lots of vacancies but rents a lot of asking rents aren't being reduced because it would make loans callable and this whole space is uninvestable at the moment imo. Canada might be better though.

Baddog posted:

I guess MAC and SPG would be equivalents in the US. Would have to do some due diligence to figure out who has more urban malls and if they are aggressively pursuing the same strategy. Pivoting from slowly dying mall owners to apartment and condo developers. Right into the teeth of an incoming housing correction. But if they are getting the same sort of tax breaks my city is handing to them, it *should* be hard for them to lose money.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

As far as capitalizing on it, it kind of feels to me that there could be a huge residential real estate rush but the problem now is that despite the growing population developers might have built too many units in the short term and with the upcoming recession vacancy rates are expected to increase at time when we really do not want that happen because it'll likely hurt long term development and prices will likely spike in the future.

Man that's interesting the sentiment difference couldn't be more night and day. I think there would be very few in Canada that are expecting a housing crash along with a recession. I mean I think I'm a turbo housing bull, but vacancy in Canadian cities is like bumping along 0% so it's doesn't seem at all a similar situation if there's a feeling that in the USA vacancy is too high.

The Ontario government for example has said it needs to build 1.5M homes in a decade to make up this enormous shortfall of homes, and apparently Ontario has never before, even at its best, built more than 850,000 in a decade. Other provinces are in similar trouble. So yea Canada is deep in this hole and unlikely to crawl out of it any time soon.

All that means a sustained high floor on rents and that there should be lots of rent appreciation.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 13, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Is BUD really taking a 4% haircut for no reason than dumb poo poo right wingers are mad they hired a trans person?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

mrmcd posted:

Is BUD really taking a 4% haircut for no reason than dumb poo poo right wingers are mad they hired a trans person?
If there is an impact on their current sales we wouldn't expect to see that until their q2 earnings are reported in August though.

Outside of the hoopla, BUD was a stock trading at its yearly high, up almost 50% from its low 6 months ago. A reversion to the mean seems sensible enough.

I'm considering shorting it, although shorting stocks has almost never worked when I've tried it before.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

mrmcd posted:

Yes. All of that over a 42 second TikTok video or whatever it was. I tried to pick up calls yesterday but they never filled. Bummer

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Bud didn't even pay them right, it was just a promo can or something?

I'm loving that dumbasses are switching to different poo poo beers also owned by bud. God forbid they pick up a decent microbrew.

But the stock definitely does not look cheap yet.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
BUD is now positive on the day so whatever backlash there was in the market lasted like 2 hours

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Why would you assume today's sales would manifest in today's stock market price?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re the Bud thing, if anyone cares this is a great post on the history of Bud being the gay beer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

So I figured I'd add a bit of context to how deeply hilarious the whole Bud Light situation is given my amateur homo historian hobby. You see Bud, and especially Bud Light, have been gay beers since the 70s, in some areas they were THE gay beer, I myself drank roughly a metric ton of Bud (with salt and lime as God intended) at LGBT+ bars in my college years. "But why?" you ask, how did Bud achieve this status?

Well in 1977 Coors made a massive, and intensely bizarre, unforced error when they decided to start using lie detectors during their hiring practices. You'd apply to work at pretty much any position, from brewery staff to sales to distribution, and they'd hook you up to a literal lie detector and start asking you a bunch of questions. These would range in everything from your criminal background, your work history, and (most critical for this story) your sexual orientation and history. Coors claimed that these were just asking your orientation, but reports came out from applicants that they were being asked things like if they were a top or bottom, how many partners they had had, and other creepy invasive questions.

Now the schad kicks in as LGBT+ groups and activists organized a massive boycott against Coors. There was picketing at Coors facilities, Coors was booted from queer bars and spaces and pressure applied to straight establishments (many of which caved), even major figureheads like Harvey Milk got involved. Unions saw opportunity knocking and quickly allied themselves with LGBT+ members, piggybacking to protest Coors hiring, pay, and worker benefits.

Facing enormous pressure, both socially and economically, Coors eventually caved, ceased their discriminatory hiring practices, and sent an army of reps to try and beg their way back into the community's good graces. This effort was more or less successful, though it took years in some cases. Regardless the damage was done and Bud had successfully captured the LGBT+ market, where they remained for decades. Bud would openly advertise to queers and became a major sponsor of big city pride parades and celebrations (chiefly San Francisco). Later Spuds MacKenzie would become a trans icon, as they used a female dog to play the role (bring back the trans dog budweiser).

So yes, Bud Light has been a super homo beer for decades, chuds dumb, rainbow capitalism generally bad but sometimes very very funny, thank you for reading.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I support gay beer but I’m not drinking bud or bud light.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

If $BUD daily stock price increases the chuds have been owned
If $BUD daily stock price decreases the libs have been owned

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think I've ever tasted a budweiser. Growing up in SF and still today, the local beer of choice is anchor steam, which is now a union brewery so you know, support unions, drink beer.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think I've ever tasted a budweiser. Growing up in SF and still today, the local beer of choice is anchor steam, which is now a union brewery so you know, support unions, drink beer.

No one has ever tasted a budweiser.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought a 6er each of Budweiser and Michelob, the vanilla, not light/ultra/whatever version, back in my mid 20s homebrew beer phase to do some kind of "craft brew taste calibration" or whatever the gently caress, and I remember them being pretty tolerable as a standard beer. Haven't tried the stuff since but if you're looking for a tolerable beer that's a bit lighter than sam Adams the non light domestic beers are ok.

That said I'm about to go pick up a sixer of Shiner Bock beer and go grill some burgers in the back yard. Last time I tried a light beer was probably at some backyard get together and that's all they had. Even the smallest country bar with pickups and camo hats has at least one tap of craft something these days

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

The Dollop did an episode on the Coors family. Uh... certainly won't drink another silver bullet after hearing that history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHmp4UdH88

Also did a two part podcast on Pacific Gas and Electric which is also pretty good.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I heard we're looking for some gay beer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hCOSejS1SSY

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

There is no non-gay consumption under neoliberalism

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Can I have trans Topo Chicos? Maybe in Joe Biden's America

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ARTPUP posted:

The Dollop did an episode on the Coors family. Uh... certainly won't drink another silver bullet after hearing that history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHmp4UdH88

Also did a two part podcast on Pacific Gas and Electric which is also pretty good.

Well the good news on that is MolsonCoors is more controlled but the less evil but more flighty Molson family.

Also if you want to lose money that could be a high reward one day the answer is Canadian weed companies.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Sharing a small win: put a small amount into the a few of the S&P bank stocks a few weeks ago, when the news cycle was talking poo poo about bank runs and imminent collapse. Now, $C is up 12%, and $BAC & $WFC are up 6%.

I got lucky on that one I guess. Was trying to apply the "blood in the streets" advice to trade on market emotions. However, what I'm trying to figure out is when I'm supposed to close the positions... because since I'm trading on emotions rather than valuations, I don't have any firm target.

What % return do you all prefer to take profit on, when you don't have a hard price target to wait for? The advice I've seen is: "if the position is good enough to brag about, it's good enough to close out".

So, maybe the right time to close out is today because most likely it'll correct tomorrow... and emotions are always short-term swings rather than long-term expectations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you're trading on market moves like that, you sell when the market stops moving and look for another thing to buy, because just sitting on a stock that is not moving (or rather, is only moving in sync with the rest of the market) is taking the big risk from being in an individual stock while only reaping the identical reward you'd get from being in a much lower risk index instead.

Similarly, if your investment thesis has been fulfilled, you have no new thesis on which to be in this stock, you should close the position.

So in this case: your investment thesis was "bank stocks are artificially low due to this news event, I will buy these discounted stocks" and if they are no longer discounted then your thesis is fulfilled and it's time to sell.

All that aside, it's also OK to set a profit target and close when you hit that target. That'd be sort of a different thesis or a refinement of the thesis: e.g., "bank stocks are artificially low by 15 percent, I will buy these discounted stocks and sell when they recover that 15%" is a refinement of the previous thesis that comes with actionable targets. I don't think finding out what targets other people have set is very informative because IMO you should be setting a target based on each specific thesis, not having some kind of generalized "rule" that you always go with, because stock moves can be for any amount between -100% and +infinity% and your targets should be based on some combination of your thesis, tolerance for risk, investment timeframe, and greed, and not on what other people's tolerance for risk, thesis, timeframe, and greed number happens to be.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Thanks for the tip, that's a good point. Applying that advice:
  • $WFC earnings was today and it's stagnant, so it's probably good to close and take the ~6%.
  • $C isn't near a recent peak though it might be in a few days, so though it'll probably correct tomorrow I'd expect it to trend upward on the good news. So, maybe hold for now and then close later when it approaches a recent peak.
  • $BAC earnings is on Monday Tuesday, so maybe I should close now because it'll be super unpredictable once earnings comes out. I expect it's climbing today because of higher expectations, after $C and $JPM's earnings good news.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 14, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

Sharing a small win: put a small amount into the a few of the S&P bank stocks a few weeks ago, when the news cycle was talking poo poo about bank runs and imminent collapse. Now, $C is up 12%, and $BAC & $WFC are up 6%.

hi there fellow $C winner

pmchem posted:

bought some citi ($c) and ibkr today. conservatively managed companies with no ugly duration issues and reasonable metrics that were caught in the wash. could also benefit from any clients moving from the companies with bad balance sheets.

ibkr thesis was in prior post. citi has very good p/tbv compared to history, buffett owns it, and it may be restarting buybacks after banamex is sorted out. it’s a bank in transition but i’m rolling with BRK’s dd.

in retrospect, I bought a few days early, but both trades are happily green and had great days today when the rest of the market was red.

citi's earnings q&a transcript from today is here:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4594201-citigroup-inc-c-q1-2023-earnings-call-transcript

still no banamex sale or buybacks, but this buried CEO quote in questioning on the topic,

"I think we will have more clarity fairly soon around a number of the factors. So we will be able to give you better clarity on timing before too long."

highly suggests that banamex will be figured out this summer (maybe even before next earnings) and buybacks will resume soon after. you can tell they wanna be done with it and are now looking at two distinct ways to exit. I'm not sure if I will wait around to find out, but, if I do exit $C will be on my shortlist to swing back in on later.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I got SAAB right before russia invaded which was nice. But I should sell now right? It has to be overvalued atm..

Also on another basis I nabbed a few undervalued stocks last week thinking i would hold onto them until summer. But theyve increased by 40% and 16% in a week and im honestly not sure its going to go higher.

(Athanese Innovation and Astor Group Scandinavia)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

True major US default is basically a “nukes are flying” situation. No good solution there. Biden will mint the platinum coin before it gets to that. So the true opportunity is to get your awesome Ocean’s 11 crew to stake out the intersection of H Street and 15th Street in DC so you can steal the trillion-dollar coin as it makes its way from the White House to the Treasury building. (With a backup crew in Lafayette Square when it turns out they have an incognito runner transporting the actual coin on foot via that path.)

Biden is not going to mint the coin. Probably what's going to happen is things start to get rocky as we near default, the market looks like its going to crash, and donor pressure starts to get intense. McCarthy introduces a bill that does only a few cuts to something no one cares about, like the arts or immigrants, and gets just enough of his own party to get on board, along with 100% of democrats. Crisis averted, but then McCarthy is immediately deposed as leader because the cuts weren't big enough.

Point being, it's not going to be road warrior, but the market will be feeling this and I think it will probably induce a recession if one isn't on the way already. I plan on buying the dip :q:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Biden is not going to mint the coin. Probably what's going to happen is things start to get rocky as we near default, the market looks like its going to crash, and donor pressure starts to get intense. McCarthy introduces a bill that does only a few cuts to something no one cares about, like the arts or immigrants, and gets just enough of his own party to get on board, along with 100% of democrats. Crisis averted, but then McCarthy is immediately deposed as leader because the cuts weren't big enough.

Point being, it's not going to be road warrior, but the market will be feeling this and I think it will probably induce a recession if one isn't on the way already. I plan on buying the dip :q:

:rip: Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Outside of idly flipping through the channels at a random hotel I can't think of the last time I watched actual broadcast television for more than 90 seconds; PBS is not long for this world, they did not make the jump very well

They do have a good YouTube series that occasionally pops up on my feed called "Eons"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hadlock posted:

Outside of idly flipping through the channels at a random hotel I can't think of the last time I watched actual broadcast television for more than 90 seconds; PBS is not long for this world, they did not make the jump very well

They do have a good YouTube series that occasionally pops up on my feed called "Eons"

They were doing really well for a while there, with a ton of their content online for free through their own streaming site/service. There was a period where I was watching stuff through PBS's streaming app as often as I was watching Netflix.

Alas, that got gutted when the local affiliates threw a fit and made them hide most of the content behind a paywall (called "PBS Passport", a paywall you can only get through by donating to your local station).

They do also have a bunch of short-form stuff out there through PBS Digital Studios. Most of that content is outsourced to different companies who do the production, though. For example, PBS Eons is made by Complexly (an arm of the Vlogbrothers empire). PBS SpaceTime is made by Kornhaber/Brown. Some of that content is still produced by PBS affiliates, but those are generally the less-popular programs (ever heard of PBS Voices?)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Hope nobody tried to buy LUV as a bargain in the last couple months after the Christmas disaster because this company is absolutely cooked:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1648339011948236802

Baddog
May 12, 2001

AngryBooch posted:

Hope nobody tried to buy LUV as a bargain in the last couple months after the Christmas disaster because this company is absolutely cooked:

Haha goddamnit. I don't have the stock but I did like flying them out of denver. Hope they can get their poo poo together.

We seem to be nearing "our tech is falling apart because we didn't hire the right people to maintain it" stage at a few places. Figuring out where the duct tape is gonna burst next is kinda hard though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Southwest has been horribly run for years. I wouldn't have touched this poop with someone else's ten foot pole.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like they're at least 10 years behind on deferred maintenance of their mission critical computer systems, I don't know how you get out of that death spiral but sure seems like those things will get worse from this point before they get better

Didn't they do a full ground stop for like 4 days during peak holiday travel as well

Usually I'm the guy rooting for "they can turn this around" but I have low confidence in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

AngryBooch posted:

I bought the dip and sold the recovery like a professional trader, like & subscribe please