Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Teddybear posted:

What country are you in? US
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Planning on gaming, but also my general purpose PC. No specific graphics-intensive software outside of that.
What's your budget? Preferably below $2k
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Current monitor is 2560x1440, 60hz, but I'm open to upgrading the monitor as well.
I'm fine with things running well and looking good, but I don't care about having the super duper top of the line anything.

My computer is pushing twelve years old now and rather than doing piecemeal part upgrades I want to just start with a fresh build from scratch, either through grabbing parts and putting that together myself or getting a good Microcenter prebuild and just running with that.

So I've been poking at options. One possible build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($397.90 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($232.67 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($839.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2185.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-09 20:58 EDT-0400

Through microcenter, this would be $2,059.92 all together through instore pickup, thanks to the cpu/ram/mb being on a $599 bundle. I'm open to dialing it back a bit and saving if it doesn't matter-- I realize that storage might be a bit much, but having the 2TB SSD just seems like a good idea, and with HDDs being relatively cheap having a couple extra 2TB HDDs for media storage would be great. Dropping to a 3070 would save a couple hundred as well.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Teddybear posted:

So I've been poking at options. One possible build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($397.90 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($232.67 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($839.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2185.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-09 20:58 EDT-0400

Through microcenter, this would be $2,059.92 all together through instore pickup, thanks to the cpu/ram/mb being on a $599 bundle. I'm open to dialing it back a bit and saving if it doesn't matter-- I realize that storage might be a bit much, but having the 2TB SSD just seems like a good idea, and with HDDs being relatively cheap having a couple extra 2TB HDDs for media storage would be great. Dropping to a 3070 would save a couple hundred as well.

Personally I'd go for SATA SSDs instead of HDDs - no noise, less heat, and considerably faster. That is my own bias, though - I have been eliminating any spinning metal from my builds over the last couple years and at this point am not running any HDDs in an active machine.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I know this is the PC building thread, but the OP gave me the impression I can ask prebuilt advice here. Decades ago I used to build my PCs but don't have the intent or desire to anymore (for reasons).

I'm looking to replace my aging i7-6700k/1080gtx system and from my local Microcenter this looks promising. Any PC I put together by parts comes to only within a few hundred dollars of price, which is fine by me, money is not a problem, and it's cheaper than what I paid for my current system 7 years ago. Anyone with experience with the brand?

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 10, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

What country are you in? USA.
Do you live near Microcenter? I can stop by on the way home.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting? Gaming.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Don't wanna go much higher than $300 for a new GPU.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get. Main monitor is 1920x1080, refresh rate 59.940 Hz. Just need enough to get a stable 60 FPS with medium-high graphics on games like Elden Ring, RE4R, etc.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? None.

Looking to upgrade my GPU. I have an RX 570, and newer games are having some trouble. I don't PC game a whole lot, and I'm not huge on graphics or anything, so I don't need top of the line.

I've narrowed the new card down to the following, in order of preference:

PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6650 XT: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DfLFf7/sapphire-radeon-rx-6650-xt-8-gb-pulse-video-card-11319-03-20g
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6650 XT: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rfLFf7/msi-radeon-rx-6650-xt-8-gb-mech-2x-oc-video-card-radeon-rx-6650-xt-mech-2x-8g-oc
MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6650 XT: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z9H7YJ/powercolor-fighter-radeon-rx-6650-xt-8-gb-video-card-axrx-6650xt-8gbd6-3dh

Is there any reason I should go with the Sapphire or the MSI over the PowerColor? It's hard to tell what the difference really is. As far as I can tell, I should be good on length and watt constraints either way.

And how much of a boost would I get if I splurge and go for the 6700 XT version of the PowerColor?

Current build (i.e. I already have all of this):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($190.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING Radeon RX 570 4 GB Video Card ($469.99 @ Amazon) (looking to upgrade!)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($73.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1032.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-10 06:51 EDT-0400

edit, also my monitors and the other ssd:

Monitor: Dell U2415 24.1" 1920 x 1200 60 Hz Monitor ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell U2419H 24.0" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz Monitor
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 10, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Natsuumi posted:

I know this is the PC building thread, but the OP gave me the impression I can ask prebuilt advice here. Decades ago I used to build my PCs but don't have the intent or desire to anymore (for reasons).

I'm looking to replace my aging i7-6700k/1080gtx system and from my local Microcenter this looks promising. Any PC I put together by parts comes to only within a few hundred dollars of price, which is fine by me, money is not a problem, and it's cheaper than what I paid for my current system 7 years ago. Anyone with experience with the brand?

No personal experience, but I believe PowerSpec is Microcenter's house brand for prebuilts, and Microcenter's service has always been super easy to work with the handful of times I've needed them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I want to spend 2.5k on a gaming PC. When I was a Wee Credburn I was fascinated by all this stuff and built many computers. But I've been out of the loop for twenty years. One thing remains true after all those years though; no matter what parts I buy I'll have endless buyer's remorse because everybody's got opinions and I will hear how my RTZv8200 is actually slower than the RTZ6740 which you should have bought, etc.

I just want to spent 2.5k on the most efficient combination of parts that will give me the best pewpews and frame rates. By the way, I don't care about frame rates higher than 60. But I also want to future proof this thing. I want it to last me a decade.

pcpartpicker is kindasorta useful for this, but I'm struggling to find something I like. So many of the builds are meant for show, which I don't care about, or overclocking, which I also don't care about. Every one has some opinion about why Intel is superior or why NVidia is superior or whatever. I get overwhelmed :(

\/\/ maaan this is what I'm talking about! How much should I spend, then? :ohno: \/\/

credburn fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 10, 2023

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

It's hard to have buyers remorse when you go midrange for your PC

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

credburn posted:

I want to spend 2.5k on a gaming PC. When I was a Wee Credburn I was fascinated by all this stuff and built many computers. But I've been out of the loop for twenty years. One thing remains true after all those years though; no matter what parts I buy I'll have endless buyer's remorse because everybody's got opinions and I will hear how my RTZv8200 is actually slower than the RTZ6740 which you should have bought, etc.

I just want to spent 2.5k on the most efficient combination of parts that will give me the best pewpews and frame rates. By the way, I don't care about frame rates higher than 60. But I also want to future proof this thing. I want it to last me a decade.

pcpartpicker is kindasorta useful for this, but I'm struggling to find something I like. So many of the builds are meant for show, which I don't care about, or overclocking, which I also don't care about. Every one has some opinion about why Intel is superior or why NVidia is superior or whatever. I get overwhelmed :(

\/\/ maaan this is what I'm talking about! How much should I spend, then? :ohno: \/\/

What resolution are you targeting at 60hz and what type of games? Its best to build a pc around those two things imo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

credburn posted:

I want to spend 2.5k on a gaming PC.

Please read and follow the OP and also go back a page or two and see what general builds people are getting for a similar budget. What monitor resolution you want is a big factor, and whether that's included in the budget or not.

Not caring about frame rates over 60 is the new "I want a new TV but no smart features" - doesn't really exist or make any sense anymore. Any modern gaming monitor worth buying is going to be higher refresh rate and have VRR, both of which you might think you don't want or need but once you've experienced you wouldn't want to go back.

Future proofing is not a thing. The most expensive parts you can buy now will still be crushed by whatever is midrange in 5 years time. As ever the best value and longevity is gained by buying parts that are somewhere within the reasonable price/performance range then saving the extra cash for upgrades a few years down the line.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 10, 2023

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

credburn posted:

Building a computer in 2023 that will “last a decade” with “the best frame rates” and staying at 60hz doesn’t make much sense sense. Are you REALLY sure you don’t care about frames above 60?

You can get a 144hz monitor for $300, and much less if you’re ok with 1080p.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lackmaster posted:

Building a computer in 2023 that will “last a decade” with “the best frame rates” and staying at 60hz doesn’t make much sense sense. Are you REALLY sure you don’t care about frames above 60?

You can get a 144hz monitor for $300, and much less if you’re ok with 1080p.

Even a good 240Hz 1080p monitor can be had for $150 on sale these days, capping yourself at 60 is... yeah

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I mean, I have a 1080p television that I connect via hdmi. Are you telling me there are better options?

Joking aside; I'll review the OP and check out some earlier builds.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

credburn posted:

I mean, I have a 1080p television that I connect via hdmi. Are you telling me there are better options?

I would just say that the lion share of people building a PC are actually looking for a sweet spot in terms of value and performance and staying power, you’re not in the minority there. 2500 is a lot to spend on a setup and you’ll be able to build something really great. Sure, some people are spending 4-5k but that’s for chasing the cutting edge. I will say that I didn’t think I cared about high FPS until I got a new monitor that went up to 170hz and it’s amazing. Maybe go try it out at a computer store if you can find one.

I think you can build a computer in your budget that will last 10 years and be fine for productivity, you’ll just be unable to play the newest AAA titles after about 7-8 years.

Orty
May 14, 2007

What country are you in? US
Do you live near Microcenter? Sorta, 3hr trip to get to one. Not against making the trip.
What are you using the system for? General Use and Gaming
What's your budget? Shooting for no more than ~$2.5k each (excluding monitors)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Current monitors are 1920x1200 60hz, will eventually be upgrading to 1440p 144hz (or whatever is the new hotness). Would also like to move to a dual monitor setup as well.

Putting together a parts list for building two PCs to replace two that have served me well. One with a i7 4770k / 980Ti, the other an i7 6700k / 1080Ti. Other than building a few computers for friends in the ~8 years I've had these I have mostly been out of the loop on PC parts, especially monitors. Ideally I get a similar longevity out of the new builds. Typical gaming is stuff like FFXIV, Warhammer 40k Darktide, Diablo 4, and various sim/management type games. The occasional AAA stuff tossed in. Would ideally be able to high/max out graphics (without RT) for 1440p and do well for years to come. Also don't plan on any overclocking.

I think my part list is solid with just a few questions on some alternatives. Current thinking is to get everything together but GPU / monitors and reuse existing for the time being. Spread out the cost since it is two builds at once, but also to bide some time for additional GPU releases like 4080Ti etc.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($130.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $104.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1124.91

Questions:
CPU Cooler: Seems to be a hot debate these day since there are a few coolers on par with Noctua for way cheaper. I don't mind paying the Noctua premium since I know their quality and noise levels and such, but is there a really strong argument for any of the alternatives?

Motherboard: Alternative pick is the Gigabyte B650M DS3H, ~$40-50 less for 6+2+1 VRM instead of 12+2+1, loss of PCIe 5 for M.2, no integrated IO shield, and no wifi 6e. The wifi is nice to have just in case but only the bluetooth portion would get used occasionally. Is the VRM difference of any importance if I'm not overclocking, maybe a heat difference?

Memory: DDR5 6000 CL30 seems to be the go to. Seems like the popular sticks are 30-38-38-96, with the others being 30-40-40-96, is that even a difference worth worrying about? Also assuming 64GB is still overkill, and 32GB is the sweet spot.

Storage: Always bought Samsung in the past, are they still solid or are there alternatives that hold up against them? Also debating 980 Pro and 1TB vs 2TB

Power Supply: ATX 3.0 PSU worth looking into? Corsair has an ATX 3.0 version of my pick with the ports on the side instead of back (RM850x SHIFT) that is tempting, pending case compatibility.

Video Card: If I had to pick one now I am split between 7900XTX and 4080. Seems like they are pretty much the same if you don't care about RT. Any thoughts between the two? Ideally I wait for any additional releases like a 4080Ti.

Monitors: Probably better to ask in the monitor thread, but any recommendations for 1440p? Any issues with running two (gaming on one, misc stuff on the other)?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Natsuumi posted:

The models of the PSU and NVME aren't specified but otherwise it looks fine. Powerspec is Microcenter's house brand.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Natsuumi posted:

I think that computer is a bit imbalanced and overpriced. They're putting a 13900K in there, which is not a CPU you actually want in a normal gaming PC (it's power hungry and runs hot) and is huge overkill when paired with a 4070 Ti. I wish they had a more reasonable 4070 Ti build with like a 13600K or something, but there's a serious gap between their ~$1600 builds and $2500 builds for some reason.

I think the PC's build quality and reliability will likely be fine—I haven't heard any horrible things about Micro Center's PowerSpec brand at least—but if you want some alternatives, then Newegg's "ABS" house brand has some prebuilts with a 4070 Ti for around $2000, such as this one with a somewhat more reasonable 13700K or this Ryzen 7700X alternative. You're getting 1TB of storage only instead of 2, but that can be upgraded easily enough. The bigger issue is that they only come with 16GB of DDR5. It's also generally a bad idea to use four sticks of DDR5, so adding in two extra 8GB sticks to make 32GB wouldn't be advisable. Still, even if you spent $110 on a 32GB kit of DDR5-6000 to replace the kit it comes with, it would be a lot cheaper than the Micro Center PC. The last potential issue is that the PSU doesn't really leave enough headroom to upgrade the GPU down the line on the Intel build, but it could be fine on the AMD one since the CPU uses a lot less power. ABS can also be a little bit hit-or-miss on build quality.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Orty posted:

Questions:
CPU Cooler: Seems to be a hot debate these day since there are a few coolers on par with Noctua for way cheaper. I don't mind paying the Noctua premium since I know their quality and noise levels and such, but is there a really strong argument for any of the alternatives?

The Peerless Assassin 120 is literally one of the top two best air coolers on the market for one third the price. It only runs 1 to 2 degrees hotter then the Noctua at high power draws and it’s only 1 to 3ish decibels louder at high fan speeds.

Basically, ask yourself if that’s worth $80 you could be spending elsewhere.

quote:

Video Card: If I had to pick one now I am split between 7900XTX and 4080. Seems like they are pretty much the same if you don’t care about RT. Any thoughts between the two? Ideally I wait for any additional releases like a 4080Ti.

The 7900XTX is actually a decent bit better then the 4080 if you don’t bring RT into it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Natsuumi posted:

I don't know if they still do it, but at least in the past Microcenter would assemble a PC for you if you bought the parts from them. I'd look into that before getting a off the shelf prebuilt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

credburn posted:

The best way to spend $2500 on a system that will be current for ten years is to spend $1250 on a system right now and $1250 on upgrades in five years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I don't know if they still do it, but at least in the past Microcenter would assemble a PC for you if you bought the parts from them. I'd look into that before getting a off the shelf prebuilt

For sure. I got u fam:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx - Assembly is $149 at my local Micro Center

I put together a 7800X3D / 7900XT build including assembly for 2200 at the local Micro Center. It'll perform better. If I walked down to 13600K/Z690 motherboard, it's $2K counting assembly. Go on and do that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Indeed: https://www.microcenter.com/site/service/instore-service-complete-build.aspx

The build fee is a little steep, especially if you want to use an AIO, but it may be a better option than buying an off-the-shelf PC with an overpriced CPU you don't need.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ter-build-combo
https://www.microcenter.com/product/645414/deep-cool-ak620-cpu-air-cooler
https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card
https://www.microcenter.com/product/648488/wd-black-sn770-2tb-ssd-112l-tlc-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-40-x4-internal-solid-state-drive
https://www.microcenter.com/product/660145/lian-li-lancool-216-rgb-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-computer-case-black
https://www.microcenter.com/product/632808/corsair-rmx-series-rm850x-850-watt-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply

All of these plus the $150 build fee comes out to $1950, and gaming performance would be just as good as that 13900K prebuilt. So if the PC is primarily meant for gaming, then this is a much better value. You can upgrade the GPU to something like a 7900 XTX or 4080 if you want and still be under $2500.

edit: It's unclear to me whether you need to use their "custom PC builder" interface to qualify for the build service. You can't take advantage of combo deals like that CPU/motherboard/RAM combo I picked out, so you lose a lot of the potential savings if you can't actually use that bundle. (but it's still probably worth it)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 11, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone tell me if I will have space for the ram and cpu fan with this build? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fPwb3y#compatibility_notes

Pcpartpicker notes Disclaimer: Some physical dimension constraints are currently not checked, such as CPU coolers and RAM clearance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ulio posted:

Can someone tell me if I will have space for the ram and cpu fan with this build? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fPwb3y#compatibility_notes

Pcpartpicker notes Disclaimer: Some physical dimension constraints are currently not checked, such as CPU coolers and RAM clearance.

I might be inclined to go AIO there.

Noctua says to use 32mm height RAM, which basically rules out any RGB stuff.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Duuk posted:

What country are you in?
The EU
Do you live near Microcenter?
No.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Some web and office.
Some creative work (raster graphics, Photoshop) but might like to play with AI image generation at some point.
Some gaming. I usually aim for high mid-tier performance, where you still get good bang-per-buck. If it can run the beasts of today well on mid-high settings it should still be alright a few years down the line. Alright is alright for me.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
Ideally $1500ish, but up to 2000 with the monitor. It'll cost more than that over here.
Need a monitor. Likely to look at DELLs unless you warn me away.
I would have said 23-24 inches at 1920x1080is OK, but I see 27" at 1440px is being recommended here. You have me doubting myself, because doing graphics work, toolbars take up a shitton of screen - larger size means significantly more actual workspace. I have a lovely 12' pen tablet (with screen) that would be the secondary during this kind of use.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
As I said above, I would have aimed for 23-24" at 1080px but I'm looking into 27" now also. For graphics - Mid-High settings running well on the most demanding games.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
Photoshop, 4096x4096px files are enough but some tools are pretty demanding.
If one wanted to record / stream video at some point, is there point in looking at capture cards now, or is that mostly plug-and-play later?
Thanks in advance, this thread was a lot of help building my wife's PC a little while ago.

Had a once-over to see what moving to DDR5 RAM would cost me. Couple hundred buckaroos. Considering by the time I'm thinking of upgrades I'll need to buy a new mobo anyway for DDR7 RAM, not sure it's worth it? Is the 7000-series Ryzen worth upgrading for?
Also, I see you are recommending 100+Hz monitors. Would you say it's of any importance if you don't play FPS/reaction based games? Most U-series DELLs seem to be 60Hz and I was very happy with the 60Hz U2311H when I had it.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 29, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Duuk posted:

Also, I see you are recommending 100+Hz monitors. Would you say it's of any importance if you don't play FPS/reaction based games? Most U-series DELLs seem to be 60Hz and I was very happy with the 60Hz U2311H when I had it.

Yes. Again, it's not just the framerate of modern monitors that makes them good, it's the vsync which drastically improves the usability and experience across all framerates. I haven't seen a 60hz monitor that has it because by now it's assumed that gamers want both higher refresh rates and vsync. Which EU country are you in/where can you order from?

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I guess that's the catch - the color quality is more important to me than gaming.
I'll go ask in the monitor thread, thanks for the heads up.

I can order from across the EU plus UK - everything comes out to about the same cost.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I might be inclined to go AIO there.

Noctua says to use 32mm height RAM, which basically rules out any RGB stuff.

If I get rid of RGB should that setup be ok? I don't want aio btw, prefer fan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ulio posted:

I'd check the height of whatever RAM you buy pretty carefully and try to keep it under 32mm

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ulio posted:

I don't know poo poo about threadripper, but I would be very surprised if it could even do 128GB at DDR4-4000. From some quick googling, I'm seeing some people say that it may struggle to hit even 3600 with a 4x32GB configuration. Going with 3200 may save you a lot of money and memory overclocking headaches, and there are many more low-profile kits available at that speed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m going to build a new AM5 machine as soon as my 7800X3D arrives, but now I’m worried that I’m going to regret having 4x32GB instead of trying to find 2x64GB or even 2x48GB from the newfangled non-binary ones. I understand that 2PDC runs slower than 1DPC because the memory controller needs to do more work to manage things, but I can’t figure out really how much the impact is going to be and I don’t have any instincts about DDR5 timings anyway.

I’ve got a ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI motherboard, and the RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) at DDR5 6000 (part number F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR). Am I really going to be hobbling my machine for gaming and software development/VM tasks if I run with 4 DIMMs? I don’t remember this being talked about as much with DDR4, but maybe I just missed it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’m going to build a new AM5 machine as soon as my 7800X3D arrives, but now I’m worried that I’m going to regret having 4x32GB instead of trying to find 2x64GB or even 2x48GB from the newfangled non-binary ones. I understand that 2PDC runs slower than 1DPC because the memory controller needs to do more work to manage things, but I can’t figure out really how much the impact is going to be and I don’t have any instincts about DDR5 timings anyway.

I’ve got a ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI motherboard, and the RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) at DDR5 6000 (part number F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR). Am I really going to be hobbling my machine for gaming and software development/VM tasks if I run with 4 DIMMs? I don’t remember this being talked about as much with DDR4, but maybe I just missed it.

64GB DIMMs don't exist yet, and 4x32GB is really tough for Zen 4. As in, you're unlikely to even run them at 4800. 2x48GB may be fine in the future, but most AM5 motherboards don't support nonbinary memory yet, and the ones that do have incomplete support. I'll link Level 1 Techs again because they also did a video about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58VqVvDjxo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

64GB DIMMs don't exist yet, and 4x32GB is really tough for Zen 4. As in, you're unlikely to even run them at 4800. 2x48GB may be fine in the future, but most AM5 motherboards don't support nonbinary memory yet, and the ones that do have incomplete support. I'll link Level 1 Techs again because they also did a video about this:

Thanks, I’ll watch that video and then I guess try to figure out what to do with the extra 64GB.

What does “incomplete support” mean here? Fixable via BIOS update or need to wait on a hardware revision?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fixible via bios. I'm not sure on the full details, I just saw some people talking about how some kits worked and others didn't. AMD is expected to update their microcode to officially support 24GB and 48GB DIMMs, but until then, some motherboard manufacturers like Gigabyte have enabled unofficial support. Honestly, I'm not sure how reliable that support is. I wanted to do 2x24GB, but I decided to just get a 2x16GB kit instead because I didn't want to deal with any of the issues that could come from using the 24GB stuff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Even just 32GB per DIMM used to be impossible not that long ago, without having registered ECC - which adds an entire extra buffer.
This adds a not-insignificant amount of latency but was a worthy trade-off to make, if you wanted to be able to have more than 256-512GB of memory in a system.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Even just 32GB per DIMM used to be impossible not that long ago, without having registered ECC - which adds an entire extra buffer. This adds a not-insignificant amount of latency but was a worthy trade-off to make, if you wanted to be able to have more than 256-512GB of memory in a system.

You’re talking about systems with 8, 16, or even more slots for RAM (more than 512GB using 32GB RAM sticks). I am amazed that such systems used architectures that mapped back to consumer-grade parts. I expected such specialized techniques that there was minimal knowledge to transfer out of those and into the realm where normies like me would gain down the road.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grundulum posted:

You’re talking about systems with 8, 16, or even more slots for RAM (more than 512GB using 32GB RAM sticks). I am amazed that such systems used architectures that mapped back to consumer-grade parts. I expected such specialized techniques that there was minimal knowledge to transfer out of those and into the realm where normies like me would gain down the road.
At the top end today, there are 16 DIMMs per socket, with CPU sockets for a total of 480 cores at 1.9GHz (supposedly capable of boosting to 3.5GHz, but I don't know they're capable of running like that at 100% continuous load) and 4TB memory per CPU.

Price: If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Thanks again for the video. I keep forgetting how good Level 1 Techs is.

He says at one point that he thinks the issue is with the CPU rather than the board. Does that mean the 7800X3D will never do 128GB acceptably, or is this sort of thing amenable to microcode or AGESA update? I swear I used to know things about computers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks again for the video. I keep forgetting how good Level 1 Techs is.

He says at one point that he thinks the issue is with the CPU rather than the board. Does that mean the 7800X3D will never do 128GB acceptably, or is this sort of thing amenable to microcode or AGESA update? I swear I used to know things about computers.
He's a bit too broad in his description for it to be possible to pin it down that way (it sounds like guess-work instead of something he's investigated) - DDR5 (and PCIe5) both supposedly necessitate adding several layers of PCB to maintain signal integrity, but DDR5 with ECC isn't any wider than DDR4 with ECC, since they're both 64 bits of data and 8 bits of Hamming code (the on-die ECC doesn't figure into this, as that affects the individual chips on each DIMM, and is needed for maintaining signal integrity for the chips themselves).
Compare 16GB 1Rx8 2G x 72-Bit PC4-3200 CL22 288-Pin DIMM vs 16GB 1Rx8 2G x 72-Bit PC5-4800 CL40 288-Pin DIMM, and you'll see that the main difference is the frequency, the CAS latency, and the electric potential.

It doesn't follow that surface-mount pressure has anything to do with it, since the bottom of the sockets are still soldered to the PCB itself, and if someone isn't going to check that memory is seated properly, I'm not sure they should be building their own computer - it's pretty much one of the basic principles.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 12, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Christ almighty, does anyone know where I can get one (1) 8-pin PCIe/GPU power supply cable compatible with a Cooler Master V850SFX?

I contacted CM and they directed me to cablemod who is going to take over a month because they have to custom make cooler master cables and don’t keep any just in stock. Every other place I’m finding just sells extensions or looks like they’re begging me to let them steal my credit card information.

This probably isn’t the right thread, but gently caress me if I can figure a better place to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

There are a couple of threads on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolermaster/comments/ybd6pk/pcie_cable_for_v850sfx/, https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/104imc0/cooler_master_v850_sfx_pcie_cables/

It sounds like moddiy might be able to supply you with the right kind of cable, based on what a couple of people in there mentioned.