Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Frosted Flake posted:

There are guys with one leg working HQ and school jobs and Battalion is filled with guys with crippling PTSD. On the other hand, I know an honest to God operator who was discharged for developed lactose and gluten intolerance.

Recruitment and retention are the two biggest deficiencies and the medical side bears that out.

my sister dated a SEAL when she was in the Navy and he felt really let down because a bunch of his fellow SEALs jumped ship for ludicrously lucrative contractor positions as soon as their tour was up

this was '04 or '05 and the guys were being offered about $1k/day to leave the Navy and do VIP security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

lol the idea of sabre rattling, out of the blue by the way, China hasn't done anything the public cares about, while our countries are in the state they're in remains hilarious.

Idk, I'm sure they think they can rerun the Ukraine playbook, but I don't see it.

The Ukraine Playbook only works as long as yiuve got a die hard band of Nazis to keep tensions racheted up. As far as I can tell Taiwan doesn't have that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

lol the idea of sabre rattling, out of the blue by the way, China hasn't done anything the public cares about, while our countries are in the state they're in remains hilarious.

Idk, I'm sure they think they can rerun the Ukraine playbook, but I don't see it.

The US isn't satisfied with just a proxy war with Russia, they also have to fight China and Iran all at the same time. These budgets won't justify themselves! (They do)

Can't allow anyone to expect a peace dividend, because we'll never be at peace. The second we leave Afghanistan we're shoveling money at the MIC for something else, oh and we're still in Syria and Iraq but :ssh:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

The Ukraine Playbook only works as long as yiuve got a die hard band of Nazis to keep tensions racheted up. As far as I can tell Taiwan doesn't have that

Ukraine also has a direct land connection to the people shipping them weapons.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

skooma512 posted:

The US isn't satisfied with just a proxy war with Russia, they also have to fight China and Iran all at the same time. These budgets won't justify themselves! (They do)

Can't allow anyone to expect a peace dividend, because we'll never be at peace. The second we leave Afghanistan we're shoveling money at the MIC for something else, oh and we're still in Syria and Iraq but :ssh:
fire base conoco lmao, and the "battle of conoco fields"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

KomradeX posted:

taiwan does have a die hard band of nazis trying to keep tensions ratcheted up, but they are all on the other side of the pacific.

i like the realpolitik hints that if peaceful settlement and reunification happens, it will be the us navy sending cruise missiles at tsmc :laugh:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

most Americans think China is literally nazi Germany, and saying anything contrary to that marks you as insane and potentially treasonous. one of the things that made me give up on gip was seeing a bunch of posters agree that China wanted to genocide Taiwan. pointing out that it’s largely the same ethnic group on mainland and Taiwan just lead to “oh, you don’t think China genocided Hong Kong? loving tankie.”

it’s not just The Troops (real and self appointed) either. all through the Olympics mainstream American media reminded us that China was doing Hitler stuff. then China was responsible for covid. then, most evilishly, China prevented people from getting covid. and then, irresponsibly and evilly, China let their people catch covid. And all the while we’re getting hyped up stories that range from insane exaggeration to outright fake news about Winnie the Pooh being banned to Peng Shui being kidnapped to a completely real and universal social credit score that strangely no one can describe in detail.

imo the current China derangement in the west is on the level of Saddam Hussein from the 90s-2003.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

iirc china's present problem is that they have too many people trying to enlist into all branches of the pla so they have let go quite a few people around enlistment season

Didn't China also have a bit of a youth unemployment problem lately?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-warming-up-to-macrons-strategic-autonomy-push-says-charles-michel/

Knew it would be the french who would be the ones leading any rush for the exits for the euros in this alliance system.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

genericnick posted:

Didn't China also have a bit of a youth unemployment problem lately?

Apparently it's a statistic that would include people who are currently students in secondary/tertiary education. It would explain the disconnect between that and other national statistics like the surveyed jobless rate and the unemployment rate for people ages 25-59 that are significantly lower.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheHidingGhost/status/1646016462170079233

the us will lose ww3 because it has a mass illiterate population

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A Western tank estimated Chinese unemployment was double its official number because food/outdoor vendors don’t have real jobs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There is no Ukraine playbook for Taiwan because even if you provoked China into invading, active-duty American servicemembers are going to be killed almost immediately, or they won't and Taiwan falls very quickly

There is no hundreds of miles between Kiev and Kharkov for the conflict to get "stuck" while you feed weapons to the proxy. Nor is Taiwan as populous as Ukraine.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Danann posted:

Yeah education is in total freefall ever since COVID. Before too, but COVID broke its back. They just pass whoever shows up most of the time now.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

A Western tank estimated Chinese unemployment was double its official number because food/outdoor vendors don’t have real jobs.

Real jobs are done via email and are only about finance- the West

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

GIP, posters who got loving wrecked looking for WMDs in Iraq and bringing democracy and girls' schools to the people of Afghanistan:

“oh, you don’t think China genocided Hong Kong? loving tankie.”

imo the current China derangement in the west is on the level of Saddam Hussein from the 90s-2003.

What the gently caress? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpSQV1-bsA

After all of the poo poo we went through, you would hope maybe the response wouldn't be "okay, but this time, they're telling the truth, it'll take two weeks, and we'll be greeted as liberators".

I signed up to wear the blue beret and hand out dolls to smiling Balkan children, and admittedly, they got me pretty good, but come on.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Apr 12, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

After all of the poo poo we went through, you would hope maybe the response wouldn't be "okay, but this time, they're telling the truth, it'll take two weeks, and we'll be greeted as liberators".

memory wipes every morning and whenever they are confronted with an uncomfortable truth they cannot face

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

memory wipes every morning and whenever they are confronted with an uncomfortable truth they cannot face

lol does your VA also recommend ketamine and electric shock therapy?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

if you don't do regular memory wipes, the npcs may start developing personalities

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

lol does your VA also recommend ketamine and electric shock therapy?

i think the ketamine clinics are reserved for people with $$$. electric shock too probably. actually knew someone that it made a major difference for, believe it or not

not a v but from knowing a lot of family/friends that have had care or otherwise had to deal with the VA it's... not terrible? sometimes terrible. I think there's a huge variance in medical care quality between the different facilities. the compensation/claims/whatever side of it tends to be as focused on keeping people miserable as every other social institution here though.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Delta-Wye posted:

if you don't do regular memory wipes, the npcs may start developing personalities

i think they're just normal people

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh I was just joking about the memory wipes, though both of those are covered for us, and that's about as close as it gets to a memory wipe irl.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh I was just joking about the memory wipes, though both of those are covered for us, and that's about as close as it gets to a memory wipe irl.

foxhole to kholes

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The final luxury the West provides is the excuse manufacturing industry. Never feel a moment of guilt or regret because the prefect excuse has already been crafted for you.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpSQV1-bsA

I signed up to wear the blue beret and hand out dolls to smiling Balkan children, and admittedly, they got me pretty good, but come on.

(taking a knee and speaking slowly to the heckin puppo veteran)

the United States may have made mistakes, but we had good intentions in our hearts. and that was the past. right now, we stand against the authoritarianism of ______

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But seriously, why would they genocide Taiwan? The KMT was way stronger in other provinces and it's not like Shanghai was depopulated or anything.

It would be like one of the seacoast islands holding out for 70 years after the American Civil War. Do they think somehow the treatment meted out would be that much harsher than Richmond received?

Please detail the genocide that took place in areas shaded blue, tia.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Apr 12, 2023

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I can’t figure it out either, except that the term “genocide” is now almost meaningless in liberal discourse. If a racist was making a point by point explanation of how “white genocide” is happening and pulling out the birth rate charts, I struggle to think how a liberal would refute that by their own definitions. adoption of birth control and women choosing to have fewer children in xinjiang is after all one of the key examples of china’s genocide there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
libs realised it's hard to argue a point when terms like 'genocide denialist start getting thrown about'. You can try to ignore it or just accept it to shut them up but you run into other problems then. Take SA for example, you have to be real careful because if you actually go into certain subforums and say you don't believe China is genociding the Uyghurs you will absolutely get banned. So the rules of SA make it tricky because you have to take this poo poo seriously even if you don't believe any of it. And none of it is about writing wrongs. It's just a rhetorical bludgeon. The big problem for them is, like people have said, it's now losing it's meaning. It doesn't hit as hard now. And it won't even when people are doing real genocides. That's the other danger. It's like when the US was calling everyone it didn't like 'terrorists'. Now no one gives a gently caress about who is or isn't a terrorist. Doesn't mean anything anymore.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

it's a thing only definitive Bad People do and standing in opposition to it by makes you a Good Person by default simpleton baby lib brain poo poo like that

the discourse around that word is so reductive that it's become a thought terminating cliche

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

China wants to reassert control over its own territory and bring Sore Loser Island back into the fold, a project done out of the belief that they are one nation, by killing everyone there. lol It's their own genus, by any definition, unless you think the KMT is etched into people's DNA.

e: I would imagine at least part of this is obscuring the history of the Chinese Civil War? I guess nobody calls Taiwan the Republic of China, so most people would not know this is a political division?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

most reddit brains don't know much about the chinese civil war and the polities that emerged after it so that tracks

Griz
May 21, 2001

Cuttlefush posted:

i think the ketamine clinics are reserved for people with $$$.

all those ketamine clinics that popped up over the past few years are going bankrupt anyway
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/11/ketamine-clinics-us-business-safety-mental-health

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Best Friends posted:

most Americans ... loving tankie

you may have a warped perspective of what "most Americans" are like

Danann posted:

been seeing a lot of people tossing the word "unserious" around lately

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

yellowcar posted:

reddit island

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

the number one source of casualties in the military will be diabetic comas

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The number one source of casualties will be illiteracy because they don't know what 'this side toward enemy' means

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

The number one source of casualties will be illiteracy because they don't know what 'this side toward enemy' means

how many of them will believe Newton's Second Law doesn't apply to Claymores because of CoD

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Filthy Hans posted:

how many of them will believe Newton's Second Law doesn't apply to Claymores because of CoD

in a 6-3 decision…

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The US Navy's Super Hornets are having trouble keeping up with the rest of the military's fighter jets

quote:

What is particularly interesting is how the Super Hornet compares to US Air Force fighter and attack aircraft. The Air Force has suffered major problems with aircraft readiness, including a mission-capable rate of about 52% for F-22 fighters and B-1 bombers in 2022. (The aircraft with the highest mission-capable rate the time was actually the MQ-9 Reaper drone, at 91%.)

The question is what all this means for the Super Hornet's long-term prospects. The Navy already plans to stop buying Super Hornets after 2025 and focus instead on the F/A-XX project, about which details are murky, as well as on the F-35 and carrier-based drones. (Navy officials say they hope to have drones compose 60% of future carrier air wings.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Griz posted:

all those ketamine clinics that popped up over the past few years are going bankrupt anyway
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/11/ketamine-clinics-us-business-safety-mental-health

yeah im not sure why that was a thing. it's subanaesthetic doses and im pretty sure it doesn't require anything a doctor's office wont have on carts. weird trend