Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pXaZXI6yMNDYBTA9ttjz4wun4dYvR1jtXAdSdfTKwvg/edit

This is the part of the google docs I'm reading. There seems to be a fair bit of evidence the US is tapping Zelensky's phone lol.
Oh come one, find me a person who's phone isn't being tapped by US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Oh come one, find me a person who's phone isn't being tapped by US?

Obama's best friend, Angela Merkel.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The tide has turned

https://twitter.com/cuneytdil/status/1646226182512181266

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Who the gently caress would want Market-oriented, competitive and opportunistic military leaders? Or soldiers, for that matter?

Someone who wants to get couped by their military at the slightest sign of weakness, clearly.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Megamissen posted:

is bakhmut an older name?
the eu4 province is called bahmut

turns out it is

1571–1924: Bakhmut
1924–1941: Artemivsk
1942–1943: Bakhmut
1943–2016: Artemivsk
2016–present: Bakhmut

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Megamissen posted:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Megamissen posted:

:trumppop:

vvvv man being on the Ukrainian Jewish Committee must be a pretty thankless job.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Apr 12, 2023

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It keeps happening.

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-738940

quote:

The Kyiv City Council may be set to name a street after a Nazi collaborator and SS official, the director of the Ukrainian Jewish Committee, Eduard Dolinsky has reported.

According to Dolinsky, a street in the Ukrainian capital will be renamed following a motion passed by the city council, and will bear the name of Volodymyr Kubiyovych, who during the Holocaust was heavily involved in the formation of the Waffen-SS Galizien, a Nazi military force made up of Ukrainian volunteers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

didn’t one of the newer cods feature the highway of death but framed it as the Russians doing it bc it’d be distasteful for the US to do it

Uhhhhh actually you loving tankie the highway of death wasn't a war crime at all because everyone who died there were combatants. Legitimate military target.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megamissen posted:

turns out it is

1571–1924: Bakhmut

Bakhmut season!
Artemivsk season!
Bakhmut season!
Artemivsk season!
Bakhmut season!
Artemivsk season!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

This but uzis or equivalent

In a big shooting war infantry are just submachinegunners

Maybe we could give them a really powerful smg with improved range?

Wonder why the soviets built all those ak's

Here's my idea. You take thousands of guys, arrange them in a big square. And then you have them all shoot their automatic rifles into the air at an arc, like artillery. This results in a rain of bullets falling on the enemy.

Z the IVth posted:

Sell cosmetic gun skins to your troops.

They can pay in cash or ears.

This will result in discrimination, where the troops who paid in ears get mad at the "pay-to-win" troops who paid in cash.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Bring Back Warsaw Pact reason #482.

I am curious about the NYT hanging Ukraine out to dry though. It was a single source leak on a Minecraft discord, it would have been very, very easy to deny, or simply not acknowledge. Federal government still has today off, but I've heard that reporting on the leaks will be in our media packet for tomorrow, which means it's something officially discussed at work now, probably in our first meeting of the week.

The White House commenting on it too, this is a big departure. It's entirely possible (imo likely) Ukraine really did get suckered into a Przemyśl Fortress/Verdun situation and bled their army white in a battle of the Russians' choosing, but why admit that? Why admit Ukraine had 3 strikes' worth of SAMs remaining?

They had already been soft peddling that Bakmut was insignificant, the Russians attacked with shovels and were out of shells, the Ukrainians had fought out the Russian army in a heroic defence etc etc. so losing the city this week would have not made too many ripples, I don't think.

Could this be the result of the China-brokered Iran-Saudi deal or Macron's visit to China, and comments on return, causing a desire to pivot to other priorities? Strategically, even without the documents, the Ukrainian state and army did not look like they were going to see the next snowfall, but the media war and White House commentary have been divorced from reality this whole time. For them to admit something is up, before the much-vaunted offensive, that's a departure from norms.

Idk, theories?

e: I get the sense this has even caused a ripple on my wife's desk, though lol she scolded me for implying the Micheals worked for CSIS this weekend, so the world has not turned entirely upside down.

Throughout the war it was never entirely clear to me whether the war was drone piloted from Langley or the US had basically no control of what happened on the ground except by providing the inputs. Obviously Joe Brandon could snap his fingers and the country crumbles, but once you filled a government with psycho blood and soil nationalists it's hard to tell them to chill a bit. Did I imagine the US making unhappy noises about sending reserves to Bakhmut? Anyway, if we assume that the US sees advantage in having the war continue, they might have second thoughts about doing a big offensive that risks a big collapse and putting it in a leak avoids having to say in plane language that Ukraine's military is spent. Because Ukraine doing well is an essential part of the euro consensus. But Hootington's guess is more straight forward:

Mr Hootington posted:

I've seen the idea floated that the leak could have been on purpose to help fuel support for the atrocious internet surveillance and censorship bill the government wants to pass.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i dont think the usa put in this leak, i think sometimes people do stupid poo poo

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

just thinking about this turd and his rad pre-SMO donbass tour for no reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bNzjBJF_G0&t=1644s

i hope that rad cabby is doing ok :ohdear:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

tazjin posted:

What always strikes me about pre-war footage from Ukraine is that it generally looks like the most run-down provincial towns of Russia but like, everywhere. I've been in Kiev/Lviv a couple of times for work, years ago, and they look normal - but all the stuff east of Kiev seems to not have seen a kopek of investment since the 90s.

It's very inconsistent.

There's some new stuff here and there, with some stuff being new or at least getting a new coat of paint.

But also some stuff that looks like it's been that way since the 80s.

Sometimes you get a juxtaposition of both

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Apr 12, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Is Zelensky an airhead? He's got a law degree even if he's never practiced. Maybe he doesn't have the understanding of realpolitik one would hope for, but who does with any power in a neoliberal state?

It came up earlier that America using Oryx and Ukrainian MoD figures in it's briefings is shocking but to me it doesn't indicate that they don't have good estimates for these figures just that they are keeping them close to their chest, apparently for good reason.

Enjoy posted:

"To initiate a war of aggression is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime, differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."

I guess that includes sponsoring a nazi led coup inititiating a civil war.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It is really loving weird that the times decided to drag a months old leak out into spotlight and confirm it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Which, for a jumped-up actor with no base of power who arrested his patron, seems like... a bold move. His actions have been some of the hardest for me to get a handle of, since, you know, he's an airhead. Why is he directing the war effort lol?

Imagine you're Zelensky. You get voted in as a peace maker, but they figuratively (or quite possible literally) hold a gun to your head and tell you there's not going to be peace. Now, you're a professional. They're looking for a war president, they'll get their war president!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

In every possible universe in the quantum foam, seagal is exactly the same

The movie "Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness" but America Chavez is Steven Seagal

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pXaZXI6yMNDYBTA9ttjz4wun4dYvR1jtXAdSdfTKwvg/edit

This is the part of the google docs I'm reading. There seems to be a fair bit of evidence the US is tapping Zelensky's phone lol.

Contrary to the human waves with shovels, US intelligence assessed the Ukrainians outnumbered the Russians in Bakhmut by a fair bit.

This seems to be saying Russia has 1x - 2x the troops in the area.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germany-uses-video-games-to-teach-public-the-art-of-war-lw0xft5xz

Kriegspiel is back, in DreamWorks face form!

quote:

“Foreign policy matters once again, more than it used to,” Mirko Kruppa, the foreign ministry’s head of domestic public diplomacy, told a recent Civilization VI tournament. “We need places where you can exchange ideas and where it’s not just a matter of acting and presenting faits accomplis, but you have to justify yourself. We saw that with the UN general assembly’s resolution [condemning] the annexation of Ukrainian territory by Russia.”

This week the foreign ministry and the games industry launched a project called Auswärtsspiel (away game), which will try to use games to reawaken the German public to the complexity and inescapable significance of international affairs.

However, the Civilization franchise, which began in 1991, lends itself especially well to this purpose. Each nation in the game, from the Aztecs to the Zulus, comes with strengths and weaknesses that foster a distinctive playing style. Gandhi’s Indians have bonuses for diplomacy and religious influence, while Frederick Barbarossa’s Germans excel at industry and bullying smaller city states.

“That’s the fascinating thing about Civ-6,” Kruppa said. “There are just different logics of politics in the various countries.”

Just like in Civilization, some countries are just inherently warlike and disruptive.

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Apr 12, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is really loving weird that the times decided to drag a months old leak out into spotlight and confirm it.

They couldn't help that something got out with numbers that looked good for the Russians on it, and in turn, made it a far more embarrassing mess.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The idea that Germans need to be taught gaming as a concept is laughable in itself, but using Civ 6? Really?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germany-uses-video-games-to-teach-public-the-art-of-war-lw0xft5xz

Kriegspiel is back, in DreamWorks face form!

Just like in Civilization, some countries are just inherently warlike and disruptive.

The primary reason players and AI declare war in Civilization is needing some lebensraum, so yeah, I guess that would resonant with Germans.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

This seems to be saying Russia has 1x - 2x the troops in the area.

They said Ukraine might have 30k troops to Russia's 29k, and also classified a bunch of Russian units are not participating or non combat units.

e: but I agree, the golden rule is 3:1, and Russia has been advancing. Otoh, a 20:1 advantage in fires, that might do it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

They said Ukraine might have 30k troops to Russia's 29k, and also classified a bunch of Russian units are not participating or non combat units.

e: but I agree, the golden rule is 3:1, and Russia has been advancing. Otoh, a 20:1 advantage in fires, that might do it.

Granted, in that case, that advantage didn't stay that way very long.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

do you want me to watch the video or not getting mixed messages when you call the tour rad but the guy who made it a turd

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

DandyLion posted:

but this means you've never once got it in the toilet...

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Who the gently caress would want Market-oriented, competitive and opportunistic military leaders? Or soldiers, for that matter?

Market-oriented makes absolutely no sense to me unless they are thinking of subcontracting army jobs or procurement.
Competitive I could see on lower echelon where they try to one-up each other. Of course, it means we have to not think about how that probably play out once they trying to one-up each other in a hot war...
Opportunistic could be commander seizing initiative in the face of a developing situation when they see a good option.

Of course, in real life, those trait are actually more prone to be used in a different way.

Market-oriented people are usually looking to optimize stuff for shareholder value.
Competitiveness will be displayed by cornering market for monetary gains.
Opportunistic people will look for way to scam the system for personal gains.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

tazjin posted:

What always strikes me about pre-war footage from Ukraine is that it generally looks like the most run-down provincial towns of Russia but like, everywhere. I've been in Kiev/Lviv a couple of times for work, years ago, and they look normal - but all the stuff east of Kiev seems to not have seen a kopek of investment since the 90s.

american cities looks like the donbass

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Starsfan posted:

:trumppop:

vvvv man being on the Ukrainian Jewish Committee must be a pretty thankless job.

I'm sure they were thanked for their lists

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Delta-Wye posted:

the only thing that lets you know this wasn't set in the us is the train system. we're a failed soviet shitheap

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

Here's my idea. You take thousands of guys, arrange them in a big square. And then you have them all shoot their automatic rifles into the air at an arc, like artillery. This results in a rain of bullets falling on the enemy.

ff already went over this. cant remember when, but britain(?) used indirect fire from small arms.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

They could easily improve upon modern tanks by giving them a big wedge on the front to flip over other tanks

Ramming has already proven to be the next big step of aerial warfare. Looking forward to huge flying wings (the whole plane a single leading edge ram) cleaving through the autonomous drone fleets of the future like whales swallowing krill

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Comrade Koba posted:

bored ape counterinsurgency club

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

bedpan posted:

Around the time of Teresa May's downfall I remember hearing from a history podcaster based in western Europe that they were really sad Hillary didn't win in 2016 and that May lost her job because the podcaster thought having Merkel, Hillary, and May in office at the same time would unlock some magic sensible girlboss magic and solve the world's crisis.

I cannot fathom how diseased you'd have to be to think something like that but my point is that the EU was entirely capable of immolating themselves by themselves and was heading in that direction. Biden is just accelerating things.

:lmao:

dk2m posted:

Germany was poised to start receiving cheap energy from Russia that would have made their manufacturing extremely competitive and with so much of their major companies having huge business in China (for example, Mercedes Benz sells more cars in China now than they do in Europe or NA), they had a lot of incentives to tap into Chinas now shifting middle class consumer spending economy.

the combination of cheap energy and fast growing Asian economies were enticing enough for Germany to start looking east instead of west. Just like Japan once wiped out American manufacturing due to their low cost structure economy, a subsidized Germany with free education, healthcare, etc would have threatened even American manufacturing since our companies have to pay workers way higher due to privatized healthcare, education and so on.

the nord stream pipeline represented an opportunity for European leaders to regain some sovereignty and have some choice in choosing the consumer spending power of the newly middle class Chinese economy and pivot east as the next growth engine.

american leadership for years decried nord stream pretty much because they did not want an alliance between Russia and Germany, which would have been a huge sea change in the power dynamics of Europe. Germany being the biggest economy of Europe and having the most sophisticated industrial capability allied with a export, raw materials and resource powerhouse like Russia is formidable.

blowing up nord stream finally got the message across to Germany in particular. the sanctions did as much to keep Russia locked out as it did to keep Europe tightly curtained into our sphere of influence, especially as China is quickly becoming the second superpower.

Pretty much

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Apr 12, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
imo if rifles are small arms we shohld start calling howitzers Big Arms instead of artillery

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That explains why Russia has them and Ukraine doesn't.

They can't both have big arms. That would look ridiculous.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Market-oriented makes absolutely no sense to me unless they are thinking of subcontracting army jobs or procurement.
Competitive I could see on lower echelon where they try to one-up each other. Of course, it means we have to not think about how that probably play out once they trying to one-up each other in a hot war...
Opportunistic could be commander seizing initiative in the face of a developing situation when they see a good option.

Of course, in real life, those trait are actually more prone to be used in a different way.

Market-oriented people are usually looking to optimize stuff for shareholder value.
Competitiveness will be displayed by cornering market for monetary gains.
Opportunistic people will look for way to scam the system for personal gains.

Yeah tbh Idgi, which is weird because I was a subject for one of the Canadian studies therein. What professionalism means to me (and the Danes and Canadians interviewed!) does not line up with these guys at all. Does anyone speak bug?

"These modes are inspiration, opinion, domestic, market, industry, and civic. Modes do not appear out of nowhere. Some constitute classical discourses in political thought: The market mode (and the coordinating principle of competition) and the civic mode (and the coordination principle of community) derive from e.g. Adam Smith’s Theory of Moral Sentiments and Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s Social Contract (Boltanski and Thévenot 2006). "

"A crucial point about each mode is its principle of coordination by means of which legitimacy and quality are evaluated. As a principle of coordination, competi- tion (linked the market mode) has completely different standards than the principle of tradition (linked to the domestic mode). In theory, coexisting modes are impossible because they are mutually exclusive. In practice, however, actors come to pragmatic agreements. In conventional sociological terms, such a coexistence constitutes a com- promise. Historically developed compromises allow a plurality of modes to exist side by side in the real world. From this perspective, the plurality of modes is a dynamic process through which new modes emerge and through which the hierarchies of modes undergo changes."

"The lowest ranking modes were those of the market and the civic mode, which appear to be seen as inferior. (This was also the case in the examination of the senior officers. The averaged appearance of the market mode, between 1989 and 2014, lies at merely 1.3%)

"Despite these differences, the three sources reveal the contours of the new, post-Cold War view of military organizational values. Traditional military values— those associated with the domestic and the industrial modes — are supplemented by other military values, those associated with the project and the execution modes. At the other end of the scale, we find an unequivocal rejection of values associated with the market mode and the civic mode. These observations form the basis of our two first hypotheses regarding the content of the moral modes of the modern officer:

H1a: Person–organization fit requires, first, that the project mode, the execution mode, the domestic mode, and the industrial mode are the most important for the new cadets.

H2a: Person–organization fit also requires that the market mode and the civic mode are the least important for the cadets."

"Second, cadets with a civilian background scored items associated with opinion as importantly as those linked to the project mode and the execution mode. This is unexpected because the mid-level officers surveyed in 2016 and 2017 ranked opinion notably lower than the project and the execution modes. A similar discrepancy can be seen if we turn our attention to the lowest scoring modes. While the mid-level officers ranked the inspirational mode much higher than the market mode and the civic mode, the cadets surveyed here placed it at the very bottom. Moreover, while the mid-level officers ranked the market mode significantly higher than the civic mode, the opposite seems to be the case among cadets enrolled on the basis of their civilian merits"

(I don't know what to make of this. Joe Civilian arrives at BMOQ with more military values than a major? Is this a generational thing?)

Also, have a dose of ideology:

"Professions are distinguished from occupations by a theoretical body of knowledge that informs the practical skills of professionals. Laymen, not commissioned as members of the profession, will find it difficult to acquire the knowledge and skills unique to it, creating a professional monopoly. Professional communities maintain their monopoly by controlling recruitment and selection and by establishing criteria for promotion. The state allows professional monopolies because they provide services the free market finds difficult to provide "

I don't even know what the tldr is here, except there's a whole chapter about how neoliberal states tried to "reform" militaries from the 90's on but just aren't able to turn them into other jobs, go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish I had a way to save it but I saw some pictures of Ukrainian soldiers wearing Austro-Hungarian flags as morale patches during someone’s pptx.

Or, I was hallucinating.

If they are waving around that fraudulent red-white-red/green naval ensign they deserve everything that's coming to them.

Ukraine is part of Austria, not Hungary!

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Apr 13, 2023