Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

There is apparently an entire part of the game where you get fired for shooting on Shawn Michaels and have to work the British indies and a totally-not-G1. The thread is amazing

https://twitter.com/bossmoz/status/1641399515877105664?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

The fact that this user is playing as Sid makes this all much funnier.

E

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

I wonder if Vince has already tried this to get him to show up at Wrestlemania.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

That does sound promising, I've been thinking wrestling games need some sort of resource management for reversals. You shouldn't be able to just punish everything once you get the rhythm down. Some combination of a meter and Fire Pro's "behind-the-scenes" math to determine whether a reversal succeeds or fails would be ideal IMO.

Previous games did have a mechanic where your number of reversals was limited (slowly regenerating over time) but it really sucked because you couldn't do much of anything if you got hit hard and were out of reversals. Granted this also has other options now so it might not be so bad, but I dunno- I think 2k14 having wrestlers just reverse each other over and over, silly as it was, was better from a gameplay perspective than trying to limit it and dragging out the pace.

The random element in Fire Pro works for that game but I'm not sure how well it'd go over here (especially since in Fire Pro reversals aren't as big a deal.)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Reversals were what I struggled with the most jumping from 2k19 to 22, particularly if I tried to play online. I felt completely unable to react to things right and just ended up getting repeatedly squashed

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://www.wrestlezone.com/news/1364907-aew-fight-forever-isnt-almost-done-good-state

quote:

One of the biggest questions being asked in 2023 in the world of professional wrestling is the status of AEW Fight Forever.

In the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (via F4WOnline.com), it was reported that AEW Fight Forever was basically ready to go and publisher THQ Nordic needed to announce a release date.

However, THQ Nordic’s Global Senior Community Manager Zyddies shut down this report by stating that the game isn’t ready to be released as of yet.
This has led to many fans questioning what’s really going on regarding the status of the game, as both Tony Khan and Kenny Omega have also said that game was ready and that it would be released very soon.

Khan said that the game was ready during his AEW Revolution post-show media scrum. Kenny Omega claimed the game was finished during a recent episode of the Swerve City Podcast, stating that the ESRB rating was holding things up.

“Well, it’s because the game has been done, but we’ve had to try to get our game in a position to be rated so that we can sell it,” Omega told Swerve City.

Zyddies spoke more in-depth on this situation on his Twitch channel to clarify his comments on social media and explain where AEW Fight Forever currently is in its development cycle.

“It really looks like a good game. Everything I’ve seen and everything looks amazing,” Zyddies said. “Sorry that was not the news that everybody wanted, that the game is fully finished and blah blah blah blah blah, but not just yet…not just yet. But soon. The problem is also the fact that we see it very differently.

“So for a publisher, a game is not done before it’s ready and out the door. That’s when it’s done for us. Because then we have to go retail, we have to deal with submissions; we have to deal with different platforms, we have to deal with different platform packs, all these things are a huge part of game development for us.

“And that’s why I keep saying that I do not believe anybody lied. I do not believe there’s any kind of miscommunication in any shape or form. I believe that simply some people look at it differently because they don’t look at it through the eyes of a publisher. A lot goes into it. And for me, as somebody who is part of the publishing house, it’s very different for me what completes a game and what doesn’t.

“AEW, they had an announcement that the game is almost done. And it’s like, then somebody asked me, and I was like, no, it’s not, and then everybody’s like, Oh my God, these guys lied. I’m like, No, they didn’t. They just look at things differently because the publisher looks at things differently. You know what I mean?

“For a publisher, a game is not really finished until it’s released, basically. And a lot of people are having a massive problem understanding that which is kind of sad. Because it kind of creates this thing that everybody now suddenly believes that, oh my god, these guys lied. It’s like no, no they didn’t. So hopefully, it’ll get sorted out.

“The game is in a good state. And as soon as we do launch it, I think people will be happy. Then everybody will just forget about all the other stuff, and everybody will be happy and enjoy it. And that’s what I’ve been trying to explain to people development can already be sorted and stuff, but that doesn’t mean the game is done.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
By the time Fight Forever comes out, I'll be too occupied playing Beyond Good and Evil 2

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Can't Stand Global Senior Community Manager Zyddies

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

If theres no game then what won best of sports at gamescom? What's coming soon to my favorite consoles???

TONY

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That guy sounds like an idiot. A game's not ready until it ships? Not technically false but not useful information.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

There is apparently an entire part of the game where you get fired for shooting on Shawn Michaels and have to work the British indies and a totally-not-G1. The thread is amazing

https://twitter.com/bossmoz/status/1641399515877105664?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg
Idk if the developers have actual presence on social media but they are very evidently Very Online, and they really do seem tuned into what wrestling gamers respond to. A few years back they started leaning into the streaming nL / absurdist e-fed aspect of the game with changes to the CAW system, and this year they added the AI tweaks, which is at least surprising in that, though it is something that streamers want (and streamers are like 95% of games promotion these days), it’s not very flashy.

The MyRise angle is fun and doesn’t take itself or the fed too seriously, which is ultimately the right tack (you could speculate that this also reflects online communities’ nostalgia for the surreal single player campaigns of the mid-‘00s). I can understand being exasperated with the overarching “you’re in the big leagues now, rookie / indie veteran” vibe of it all, but I’d argue that it’s a big standard sports game narrative. Like how many NBA games start you as an established street baller phenom, or whatever? You get humbled then you come back (to the brand) and triumph.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Whoever wrote that story mode should be the head booker for WWE.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Also 2k20's story mode dragged out getting to actually wrestle (let alone for WWE) SO GODDAMN LONG that I can understand the devs deciding "Let's just cut to the chase."

(No idea what it was like in 2k22.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I get what that guy is saying, games and similar big creative projects aren't really finished, they escape, but it is a worryingly vague attempt at a clarification.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Maxwell Lord posted:

I get what that guy is saying, games and similar big creative projects aren't really finished, they escape, but it is a worryingly vague attempt at a clarification.

he was just as tired of receiving death threats for holding it hostage as i was of buying magazines to cut letters out of

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kiiiiiinda feel like a no comment would have served better in this situation. Or at the least a flat non-answer without elaboration. Also THQ Nordic is a really loving weird publisher. That’s got to make things unusual.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also 2k20's story mode dragged out getting to actually wrestle (let alone for WWE) SO GODDAMN LONG that I can understand the devs deciding "Let's just cut to the chase."

(No idea what it was like in 2k22.)

You spent about 1-3 hours in the performance center with a jerk, a mark, and (male only) a luchador, then you got out into the wild world of taking assassin missions in pool halls and having king of the ring and money in the bank happen simultaneously.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Maxwell Lord posted:

It sounds like statements from some indy guy trying to navigate releasing a game for the first tine, not a major established publisher.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
In a bizarre turn of events, Fight Forever 2 will be released before Fight Forever 1.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Bonk posted:

In a bizarre turn of events, Fight Forever 2 will be released before Fight Forever 1.

You joke but that's kinda happened before. I want to say it was the Jaguar. It and another system were in development at the same time. The idea was the 32 bit one would come out and then the 64 bit one a few years later and while everyone was trying to catch up to the 32 bit one, the 64 bit one would already be out. But due to issues the 64 bit one was finished first so they just scrapped the 32 bit one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

You spent about 1-3 hours in the performance center with a jerk, a mark, and (male only) a luchador, then you got out into the wild world of taking assassin missions in pool halls and having king of the ring and money in the bank happen simultaneously.

While that stuff was fun in a wacky way, the modular way that mode was set up basically made it impossible to invest in the more normal storylines because they basically happened and then vanished. Like, the women's one had a whole arc if you were a heel where you team up with Kross and Scarlet to get him the NXT title, and at the end you're like, OK, me and Scarlet go for the women's tag titles, or I go for the singles belt... right? And then nope, she's just like "hands off my man", the story ends and you get zero closure.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I haven’t kept up with the wrestling game genre over the years much at all, but I feel like story modes are an excellent place for procgen stuff. Just tons and tons of prefab events and characters and whathaveyous all bouncing off each other in a brilliant hosed up chaotic mess. I get the sense after the Wrestling Empire talk that it kinda does that, but a big budget take on it would be pretty dope.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

https://youtu.be/m2XPRgWspqU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shard posted:

You joke but that's kinda happened before. I want to say it was the Jaguar. It and another system were in development at the same time. The idea was the 32 bit one would come out and then the 64 bit one a few years later and while everyone was trying to catch up to the 32 bit one, the 64 bit one would already be out. But due to issues the 64 bit one was finished first so they just scrapped the 32 bit one.

That's a mashup of what happened with the sega 32x and what would have been the sega neptune. In the case of the neptune it never came out but would have played 32x, genesis, and possibly sega cd games as one combined unit that would serve as the cheaper alternative for people that couldn't afford the sega saturn

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 12, 2023

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

zetamind2000 posted:

That's a mashup of what happened with the sega 32x and what would have been the sega neptune. In the case of the neptune it never came out but would have played 32x, genesis, and possibly sega cd games as one combined unit that would serve as the cheaper alternative for people that couldn't afford the sega saturn
It's also what happened to the Atari Panther, which was in development at the same time as the Jaguar but was scrapped (publicly announced and cancelled at the same show, no less).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DMorbid posted:

It's also what happened to the Atari Panther, which was in development at the same time as the Jaguar but was scrapped (publicly announced and cancelled at the same show, no less).

The 32 bit to 64 bit transition was a lot like the new generation era

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

1glitch0 posted:

It sounds like statements from some indy guy trying to navigate releasing a game for the first tine, not a major established publisher.

With the way he managed to dance around confirming that the development of the game was actually done, it kind of feels like the publisher isn't satisfied with the state of the game but they don't want to state it outright.

Because otherwise saying it's not done yet is a very weird response to Kenny saying "We're waiting for it to be rated so we can announce a release date"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I just wish they had Spotify integration so that you could pick any Spotify song, pick the time to start it, and use it in your entrances (and be consistent with online play for those who also subscribe to Spotify). I'm sure they'd sell a few subscriptions alone just based on that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I just wish they had Spotify integration so that you could pick any Spotify song, pick the time to start it, and use it in your entrances (and be consistent with online play for those who also subscribe to Spotify). I'm sure they'd sell a few subscriptions alone just based on that.

bro they can't even get online entrances to work full stop you are pie in the sky dreaming

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

zetamind2000 posted:

The 32 bit to 64 bit transition was a lot like the new generation era

People overvaluing Shawn Michaels directly mirrors people's love of the N64

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

BurningBeard posted:

I haven’t kept up with the wrestling game genre over the years much at all, but I feel like story modes are an excellent place for procgen stuff. Just tons and tons of prefab events and characters and whathaveyous all bouncing off each other in a brilliant hosed up chaotic mess. I get the sense after the Wrestling Empire talk that it kinda does that, but a big budget take on it would be pretty dope.

Yeah it'd be really neat to have a game like that done with enough depth so that your persona and choices all make an impact on who you end up fighting and what stories you get involved in. The MDickie games have a bit of that but they've got their own... personality.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

BurningBeard posted:

MDickie makes it work mainly because the jank is the charming kind of jank - stakes are low, barriers to play are relatively low, and the game's fundamentals are actually pretty decent. You can go with the flow and even though the game is constantly breaking (at least in the sense of, executing what's supposed to make at least some sense) it's all very low-friction because the game is simple ("elegant" is probably too strong a word) enough to avoid collapse and take the weirdness in stride. Which just make it more endearing. Like there are a lot of story (or at least incident) triggers but it doesn't seem like any of them are coded to check against what's already active or recently triggered. As a result it can often feel like Wrestling Empire is being booked by misfiring neurons in Vince Russo's brain in the final seconds of his life.

To be clear, this is far and away a more fun and interesting system than WWE2K rivalry booking

Anyway, the problem is that budgets are the enemy of fun jank. Budgets create expectations that aren't necessarily there in the indie space and the weird little project that gains appreciation and fans on the strength of how it uses its scripting failures and accidents for effect is now a game with more scope and ambition, with commensurate opportunities to fail in bigger, less endearing ways. Which is not to say that well-funded jank is bad or there's no place for it. There are a lot of beloved cult games. But there are very few in the sports game space.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A big problem is just that wrestling games- in the way we think of them- are hard to make. Your average indie game tends to focus on a few verbs, like Celeste, you can jump and dash and cling to surfaces. For wrestling, sometimes you're hitting your opponent, and sometimes you're grappling them to do a big move on them, and sometimes you're grappling to put them in a hold that may make them submit, and there's pinning, and getting out of pins, and moving to the ropes, and also there are Irish Whips, and running the ropes, and reversals, and dives off the top rope and to the outside, even if you don't try to get an entire encyclopedia of wrestling moves in there just the base interactions are more complex than, say, boxing. It's so hard to get an engine that can do all the animations and collision detection and mechanical interactions needed to simulate throwing a guy across the ring that nobody's got the time to also program and write a deep interactive story on top of it.

Might make for a fun RPG though, if the battle system were interesting enough.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Smackdown 2 had a pretty fun season mode where it'd put you in randomly generated feuds but being a PS1 game it only had so many options before you'd start seeing the same custcenes repeatedly.

Also I've started up 2k23 and of course we're now on like the 3rd or 4th game in a row where the rankings in universe mode just straight up don't work. Like even if you go into a division and press the button to edit rankings and move people around it literally does nothing and I dunno why they never, ever fix this.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Bonk posted:

Shows like what the Beastie Boys planned for by releasing Hot Sauce Committee Part Two first before Part One. Then MCA died.

Vaguely relevant to games, I saw The Super Mario Bros Movie and it was amusing near No Sleep Til Brooklyn playing since when you think Mario; Angel Dust, hoes and Slayer shouldn't be any where near the IP but I guess they're canon now.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Universe is just bad lol (not sure it was ever good) but the gameplay is fun enough that I can have dumb multiman elimination matches in exhibition and have a good time. One thing I like that I definitely made fun of is the combos. And difficulty sliders for the pin/submission games were a no-brainer since they always feel unbalanced one way or another by the time you're used to the game.

One thing I liked to do in 2K19 was stalk the "recently uploaded" tab for CAWs, but here I guess since we're closer to release and more people are playing everything is dogshit. CC downloads is also the one section in the whole game with bad load times (on PS4).

edit: Just remembered how much I liked this podcast from the Deadlock guys about 2K20 before they got big

Fat Lowtax posted:

https://deadlockpw.com/audio/deadlock-podcast-wwe-2k20-vegas-trip-wrestling-video-games-njpw-of-america-announcement/

Podcast with Marcus Stephenson, who used to work on these games, and a couple of the youtube guys. Good stuff starts about 2/3 in

Have they done anything similar about 2K23? Don't really want to trawl the content mines or watch them play the game for five hours

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 12, 2023

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Am I missing something or does Universe just change the matches around when you simulate them? Like it’ll book a tag match and when I go to simulate it it becomes a singles match. Or the opponent will completely change.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Seymour Buttz posted:

Am I missing something or does Universe just change the matches around when you simulate them? Like it’ll book a tag match and when I go to simulate it it becomes a singles match. Or the opponent will completely change.

It's simulating Vince re-writing the script.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

The darkest timeline where Vince is booking 80’s/90’s AJPW.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm playing wrestling empire and taz just called me an empty headed gently caress during a press conference. I'm playing as Kenny Omega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

everyone talking up 2k23 has made me interested so i have requested it from my local library