Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Edit: lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
This BBC doc about training Ukr men is pretty grime.

Also, what sort of things does an Indian do to get called a chud? Is it just same stuff with US chuds?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

Also, what sort of things does an Indian do to get called a chud? Is it just same stuff with US chuds?

Modi supporters are analogous to Trump supporters

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

Pretty much the same thing, just throw in casteism, historical revisionism, and insisting on weird poo poo like how "India invented flying machines and the nuclear bomb" because our old religious scriptures said so.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Modi supporters are analogous to Trump supporters

:suicide:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone socked him with a tomato huh

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tai posted:

Be their equivalent of frothing right wing populism fans.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

zone posted:

Pretty much the same thing, just throw in casteism, historical revisionism, and insisting on weird poo poo like how "India invented flying machines and the nuclear bomb" because our old religious scriptures said so.

Oh now I'm having flashbacks to talking to Tamils who insist that because "missile" sounds kind of like some old Tamil word for "flying" (or whatever it was), it's obvious that Tamil is the ancestor of every other language and they also invented everything back during our stone age. Nationalist fanatics have similarities everywhere, but the details are different in fun ways.

(Though then again you have the "If English was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for the USA" people)

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1646252068498206732
Crimean cope defenses continue being built in full swing.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
didn't know turtles laid eggs in crimea

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

zone posted:

They are actually just searching for lost coins to help fund the war

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1646266804002603008

Normal country

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Computer viking posted:

(Though then again you have the "If English was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for the USA" people)

Ah yes English. The best and most un-confusing language ever.

Where I can shoot you with an arrow from my bow.
Or I can bow down to my lord and savior Jesus Trump.
Or I can sit on the bow of my boat and enjoy the breeze.
Or I can give you a nice package with a lovely bow on top.
Or I can admire the lovely bow of a rainbow.
Or I can listen to the beautiful music from a violinist stroking her bow across the strings.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

The Locator posted:

Or I can listen to the beautiful music from a violinist stroking her bow across the strings.

Your first and last ones use the same word because they are the same thing.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Russia with the totally not Nazi-like behavior of sending someone to prison for a picture their elementary schooler drew

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

thekeeshman posted:

Your first and last ones use the same word because they are the same thing.

Though that's in itself a point against English - Dutch separates them into "bow" and "stroking-stick".
(They're the same in Norwegian, though.)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Really appreciate this important perspective from *checks notes* Yoda's autistic nephew

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Computer viking posted:

"stroking-stick"

heh.

heh heh :mmmhmm:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Heteronyms and words with multiple meanings exist in pretty much every language and if anything the English language's wide and diverse vocabulary limits the amount of words required to have multiple meanings.

My current favourite example is 'baguette' in French - wand, drumstick, bread, baton, incense stick, divining rod - all baguettes.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 12, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Locator posted:

Nah it’s cool, children figure it out

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Play posted:

Really appreciate this important perspective from *checks notes* Yoda's autistic nephew

The real power move would be to kick India out of BRICS, invite Argentina or Antiga or Australia or a few others and reorganise into CRABS.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Heard people pick up English pretty well from people who speak it as a second language. Its the last 1% that catches people. Slang and words such as through/threw catch people out. By and large, non english speaking people speak the language much better than native speakers. At least they know when to use loving your and you're unlike 50% of Brits.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Heteronyms and words with multiple meanings exist in pretty much every language and if anything the English language's wide and diverse vocabulary limits the amount of words required to have multiple meanings.

My current favourite example is 'baguette' in French - wand, drumstick, bread, baton, incense stick, divining rod - all baguettes.

Yeah, fair - the weird anglosaxon/old french/greek+latin mixture gives you a broader palette to work with than most languages.

I do love "baguette magique", though. Conjures up some vivid, if heavily stereotyped, images.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Tai posted:

Heard people pick up English pretty well from people who speak it as a second language. Its the last 1% that catches people. Slang and words such as through/threw catch people out. By and large, non english speaking people speak the language much better than native speakers. At least they know when to use loving your and you're unlike 50% of Brits.

through/threw is far less to confuse a non-native speaker, they are more likely to learn the written form of those words before they learn the identical pronunciation. same with your/you're.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, fair - the weird anglosaxon/old french/greek+latin mixture gives you a broader palette to work with than most languages.

I do love "baguette magique", though. Conjures up some vivid, if heavily stereotyped, images.

The french saying "four-twenty" for 80 always tickles me

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I hate the french language for numbers ahhhhhh. Tbh French fucks with my logic driven brain

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

The BBC have a new 1hr documentary out, Ready for War?. (VPN+Free account should work), following a group of Ukrainians through the five week training operation in the UK. It gives an insight in to what training they get, but mostly it's a fairly bleak, emotional gut wrenching story of people.

I watched this tonight, thanks for the recommendation. Was pretty gut wrenching in places but well worth the watch.

There's a good synopsis for those that can't for whatever reason:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/fcb44c76-a54d-4f12-84f9-1a900de09364

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Some francophone nations use the far more logical septante, octante/huitante and nonante, so good for them

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This should not be overlooked

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

free hubcaps posted:

The french saying "four-twenty" for 80 always tickles me

Danish, too. It's especially weird since Danish is effectively identical to written Norwegian ca 1890, and feels familiar if old-fashioned, but then they randomly drop a "three and half fours" as if that was a reasonable way to say numbers.

The idea is that "half [number]" means you're halfway there from the previous. (Probably why both languages read 06:30 as "half seven"). Then you multiply with 20, so half-fours is 3.5×20=70. Three and half fours is thus 73.

For comparison Norwegian works like English here, our only weirdness is a dialectical fondness for putting the ones first ("three and seventy").

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Some francophone nations use the far more logical septante, octante/huitante and nonante, so good for them

how much would it piss off a parisian if you used “octante “ at them with an american accent?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tai posted:

I hate the french language for numbers ahhhhhh. Tbh French fucks with my logic driven brain

Four Twenties and Eleven

The most logical way to say 91 if I ever heard of any

God help you if your phone number is 555-554-2011 or whatever

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lol

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

zone posted:

The mobiks who drew "Crimean beach vacation with daily sand-castle building" must have the highest morale in the entire Russian federation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mercenarynuker posted:

The mobiks who drew "Crimean beach vacation with daily sand-castle building" must have the highest morale in the entire Russian federation

For now anyway

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
why are they doing that beach stuff? if it is makework to show superiors/someone up the chain that "something" is being done, is that meant to be passable work? someone must be looking at it and saying "yes, good". who would that someone be and why

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Imagine being in a little ditch barely big enough to fit you and a friend that is literally 15 feet away from exactly where the landing craft are going to unload dozens of people whose job it is to kill you.

lol, lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vengarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wymZGgjk-H4

Interesting little mini-documentary (with English subtitles) about a SPG-9 team deployed in Bakhmut. The ex-Azov guy has one hell of a character arc in 7 1/2 minutes. No blood or bodies. Just the SPG shooting rounds, interviews with the men and an artillery shelling.

"When this drat war is over I'm going back to toys."

gently caress... I feel so bad for these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

PinheadSlim posted:

Imagine being in a little ditch barely big enough to fit you and a friend that is literally 15 feet away from exactly where the landing craft are going to unload dozens of people whose job it is to kill you.

lol, lmao

Now imagine its a windy storm and the rough seas are pouring into your foxhole/trench but you cant retreat or you will be shot so you end up in waist deep sea water.