Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

DaveMcW is the GOAT of Factorio :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Vizuyos posted:

embrace the spaghetti

:sickos:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

celestial teapot posted:

DaveMcW is the GOAT of Factorio :worship:

Dude is both brilliant... and kind of insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMJ156RZWs

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I finally had some silly reasons (build four reactors only, wood for burner power as I get out of coal) to build simple circuits and they're pretty great. Is there any super good guide to practical setups for these? Google has found a lot of very very specific examples that usually assume you already know what stuff does and how it fits together. Looking for more of a learn-by-doing thing.

I'm now sorted for 2.6GW so after setting up another four iron ore outputs, two copper ore outputs, beaconed smelters to match, four more beaconed green farms, a few beaconed oil setups, 2-3 beaconed plastic, and central lubricant... I should be at ~26-32 reactors and finally ready to start making red circuits. On the plus side this will get me immediately into blue circuits and then I can start building things. It feels like I'm building pretty big right now and...

*looks at past couple pages*

Jesus loving christ

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Some practical combinator projects I can think of off the top of my head:

- A setup for monitoring fullness and ratios on a sushi belt. Useful for when you have a large number of relatively low throughput intermediates and don't want many lanes of mostly empty belts.
- A setup for filling & summoning a build train determined by deficits of logistics system at destination outpost
- A setup for controlling station train count limits and stackers to optimize train counts without requiring LTN or other mods
- A setup using lights for a dashboard showing stockpiles of raw materials, intermediates, beakers etc giving an at a glance view of base health
- A setup allowing you to throttle fuel cell input to reactors

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The wiki has some great sections on circuits: a detailed overview, some tutorials, and a page of recipes for different purposes.

https://wiki.factorio.com/

In the Expert section.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mailer posted:

*looks at past couple pages*

Jesus loving christ

Lol... Megabases are... mega?

Here is the solar power and "mall" for my 2700 SPM base. If I remember right this is about 45GW of solar. Those 'short' pieces are 8.6GW each.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I also like to use solar power. It's great for the environment and also great for not pissing off aliens!

It also requires you to put panels on 80% of the planet's surface!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

feed biters that tasty tasty gas that helps them grow big and strong = they get mad and break my stuff
take up all their land with big ugly panels = eh, no biggie really

and people pretend we're the bad guys

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

maybe they like the shade :)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Mailer posted:

I finally had some silly reasons (build four reactors only, wood for burner power as I get out of coal) to build simple circuits and they're pretty great. Is there any super good guide to practical setups for these? Google has found a lot of very very specific examples that usually assume you already know what stuff does and how it fits together. Looking for more of a learn-by-doing thing.

One thing that's pretty widely applicable is "wire up the inserters supplying your train station's so that the chests fill evenly".

A guide for how to do it, with spoilers if you'd prefer to work it out yourself:
  1. Use red wire to connect all the chests together
  2. Connect the red wire to the input of an arithmetic combinator.
  3. Set the arithmetic combinator to divide the input value by -X, where X is the number of chests
  4. Use red wire to connect the output of the arithmetic combinator to all of your inserters. Make sure not to connect this to any of the chests, or to the input of the arithmetic combinator. The red wires connected to the combinator's input and the red wires connected to its output are separate networks and should not be connected to each other.
  5. Use green wire to connect each inserter to the chest it supplies
  6. Set each inserter to be enabled only if the number of items is at or below zero
  7. How this works overall: By wiring all the chests together and dividing by the number of chests, you're finding the average, or how much would be in each chest if they were all divided evenly. Meanwhile, connecting each inserter to its own chest gives each inserter access to the value in its own chest. From there, it's simple math: if "the amount in the chest" minus "the average across all chests" results in a negative number, then that chest has less than the average. If an entity is connected to both the red and green wire networks, it'll add the contents of both networks together. So if you provide the average as a negative number on the red network, and provide the chest value as a positive number on a green network, then adding those two numbers together will do that subtraction problem.

That's about the most complicated thing I do with circuits generally. Aside from that, it's simple math problems like measuring my stockpiles of two goods that share a major ingredient, determining which one I currently have less of, and then directing the ingredient to the assemblers for that item.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

The Locator posted:

Dude is both brilliant... and kind of insane.

Check out this writeup on DaveMcW's 1 RDPM base all the way back in 0.11. He does all kinds of amazing stuff that he doesn't publish to youtube, which is a big shame.

Here's his winning submission for a competition to do chemical processing with best performance.

Blows my mind. I asked him if he would stream on twitch or something but he said it would just stress him out. :(

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I like to have a global circuit network where each loader train station puts how many trainloads of product it has available on one wire, and each unloader station puts how many trainloads it's short on the other. I don't actually do anything with these signals, but it's nice to see at a glance where my bottlenecks are (e.g. "there's 28 trains of iron ore available but the smelters are still 10 short, I either need more trains or to clear a jam somewhere"). Throttling reactor fuel cell inserters is also something I do sometimes but usually I get kovarex so quickly I don't have to worry about it.

My self-supplying train defense wall is probably the most involved circuit thing I've built from scratch, it's upthread somewhere if you want to look for it. Basically each station has a local logistics network, to cover the section of wall nearest the station, and a desired amount of supplies (turrets, ammo, pipes, etc. - everything needed to rebuild the defenses if most of it gets eaten by biters). It's great because I only need to stamp the blueprint and then send a spidertron with roboports, rails, signals, stations, combinators, and power poles (and one inserter and provider chest). Since the blueprint has the station name/conditions saved in it, as soon as the combinators get built the station is activated and calls for a train to bring everything else needed to build the wall segment, which includes bots, so the train comes, unloads some construction bots first, then starts unloading supplies and the wall builds itself. Meanwhile the spidertron has moved onto the next wall segment and this can continue indefinitely. One out of every 5-10 stations (depending on my current level of artillery range) is an artillery station too, and I expand outward in a spiral so there is just a continuous expansion of the perimeter.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Dear modules and beacons: I'm sorry I every said you weren't worth using. I didn't realize how useful it would be to cut the amount of copper my megabase uses in half without massively increasing the number of assemblers needed.
Thanks, modules.

Thodules.

Throduction thodule three.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

Dear modules and beacons: I'm sorry I every said you weren't worth using. I didn't realize how useful it would be to cut the amount of copper my megabase uses in half without massively increasing the number of assemblers needed.

Productivity modules can be an insanely good deal in the right machines. I think beginners don't use prod 1 nearly enough.

Check out the payoffs: https://factoriocheatsheet.com/#productivity-module-payoffs

If you have prods throughout your supply chain, the savings compound! That's not being tracked on this chart, so it's actually way better than it looks.

Consider that 4x productivity mk3 in a rocket silo pays for itself on literally the first rocket launch. Speedrunners always use prod modules! That should tell you something.

I always get Prod 1 in all my labs ASAP also. It's a no-brainer.

ALT-F4 #25 has an awesome visualization of the power of Efficiency Mk1 also. If you play with biters enabled, you should consider putting them in your remote drills and other highly polluting machines.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You need prod 1s for purple science anyway, and speed 1s for rockets and assembler 3s, so I always overbuild both of those to have a steady supply for the endgame transition. (Specifically I make sure to use the full belt of red + green chips going to the purple science, with half of the excess going to more prod and the other half to speed.) These all go into every assembler making science packs, 1 of each into a mk2 assembler, for a roughly 20% increase in science output (on top of putting prod1s into all the labs). It's not a good payoff but I put them in every science pack assembler, even red and green, just to keep the ratios even. I'll get the modules back later anyway.

Then when I upgrade to mk3 assemblers I just add 2 more prods to each, which ends up being only 2% less total output than not adding any more modules, but at 8% less material cost. By the time I'm upgrading to level 3 modules I'm tearing all this out and building somewhere else anyway, so that's as far as I upgrade my main stuff.

Once I have stable red chip production I also have a couple efficiency assemblers churning them out for mining outposts. You'd think it would be good to switch to speed in miners at endgame but what ends up happening is once you have some decent mining prod research done, you end up running into belt throughput limits, so efficiency in miners all the way. Only exception is when I'm trying to get the last dregs of a patch mined up so I can reuse an area, then it's beaconed speed3 directly into chests.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mailer posted:

Things I've used circuits for, and can provide blueprints for if necessary:
  • Connecting an inserter to a chest to only put a given number of items in the chest, without limiting the capacity of the chest. This is useful because it means I will always have X items available, but that I can still insert more items back into that chest if necessary. This is just wiring the inserter to the chest and setting it to only activate if the chest has less than X items.
  • Controlling train operations by setting dynamic train limits for commodities trains. Find out either how much stuff is at the loading station by wiring up the buffer chests, or how much stuff the unloading station needs by wiring the buffer chests, multiplying their contents by -1, and implicitly summing the result with a constant combinator outputting the desired stock level. Divide that figure by the capacity of a train, and send that signal to the station to set the train limit.
  • Controlling train operations by setting the unloading orders for builder/supply trains. For each wagon full of supplies, wire up their buffer chests, multiply <EACH> signal on the wire by -1, implicitly sum it with a constant combinator outputting the desired stock level for each item, and pass those signals on to the filter inserters, which have been set to "Set Filters".
  • Control oil cracking, so it only cracks heavy/light oil when I have an excess of heavy/light oil. Put a pump on the pipes feeding from the cracking plants, and set the pump to enable only if the level in a nearby storage tank is high enough.
  • Detect when a mine has run low/dry based on the amount of material on its output belts. There are ways, but the one I have is just wire up the belts to a programmable speaker set to alert if <material> drops below a desired value.
  • Follow-on to the above: Use a clock so the alert only fires if the belt has been empty for a certain amount of time, rather than constantly firing false alarms for a mine that produces less than 60 ore per second. A clock in Factorio is a combinator that feeds back into itself, so use another combinator to set the clock's reset signal if <material> is greater than 0, and have the speaker alert if the clock's output signal gets high enough.
  • Related to the above: Connect a clock to the artillery turret in a defensive blueprint so it only fires if all defensive materiel are fully stocked and have been for a full minute, just so you don't aggro the biters until all the defenses have been built.
  • Controlling rocket launches, so a satellite only gets inserted if there's room for more space science. Unload space science from the rocket silo into buffer chests, then connect the satellite inserter so it only activates if the buffer chests have less than X science.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Like a lot of starter players, I too didn't use beacons and modules but once I tried Space Exploration, with its beacon changes and 9 levels of modules, I became a big fan. And I also avoided using circuits/logic in vanilla, but you are almost required to use it for SE.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Like a lot of starter players, I too didn't use beacons and modules but once I tried Space Exploration, with its beacon changes and 9 levels of modules, I became a big fan. And I also avoided using circuits/logic in vanilla, but you are almost required to use it for SE.

Yeah, same. Vanilla beacons bother me because I have a strong impulse to come up with the best solution and there's always some better way to arrange them, SE beacons are great because you design good setups around them but they're nice and organized and tileable.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

Bremen posted:

Yeah, same. Vanilla beacons bother me because I have a strong impulse to come up with the best solution and there's always some better way to arrange them, SE beacons are great because you design good setups around them but they're nice and organized and tileable.

Vanilla can become a bit boring though, with almost every build becoming very similar with 4 prod modules and 8 speed beacons. It's hard to do something else once you're aware this option exists and learn some common belt routing tricks to work with the limited space. I'm actually looking forward to playing SE solely because of the beacon changes.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I was considering looking for a mod that gives SE-like beacons for this current base. But that was a bit too far from vanilla for what I wanted for the run.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

IMlemon posted:

Vanilla can become a bit boring though, with almost every build becoming very similar with 4 prod modules and 8 speed beacons. It's hard to do something else once you're aware this option exists and learn some common belt routing tricks to work with the limited space. I'm actually looking forward to playing SE solely because of the beacon changes.

You end up with the similar optimized beacon free designs, its just you now need to tile it more and they're less space efficient. The system always converges on a few good solutions and that's the meta, unless you deliberately do something different.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This is why recommend doing the recipe ratio randomizer, a lot of stuff does still end up roughly the same but you have to adapt your designs and it's a new challenge every time. Especially fun when you randomize belt statistics so even your smelter ratios are different.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xerol posted:

Especially fun when you randomize belt statistics so even your smelter ratios are different.

That is a bridge too far.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

darthbob88 posted:

Things I've used circuits for, and can provide blueprints for if necessary:
[*] Connecting an inserter to a chest to only put a given number of items in the chest, without limiting the capacity of the chest.
[*] Control oil cracking, so it only cracks heavy/light oil when I have an excess of heavy/light oil.

I actually did these on my own and it was fun. In particular I added circuits to my standard oil (now beaconed oil) blueprint that turns on/off heavy cracking if I'm low on lube and makes rocket fuel if gas is abundant. That's a solution that'd be better solved by increased production instead of better handling of excess, but the experiment was fun.

The train stuff is a bit macro and, like optimal blueprints, something I generally outsource to the internet. LTN has its own problems but it's a relatively elegant solution to just plugging in stations everywhere and not having to handle the back end logic.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This looks like a neat overhaul mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FreightForwarding

It seems to be a vanilla+ mod with emphasis on using a wide variety of transport vehicles to move goods around. For example, stack sizes are lower, but you can put things into cargo containers and stack those instead --- e.g. a cargo ship can carry 5,000 iron plates directly, or 100,000 if you put them into cargo containers first.

Here's a reddit writeup about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/12odxwv/freight_forwarding_review_tldr_its_good/

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Solumin posted:

This looks like a neat overhaul mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FreightForwarding

It seems to be a vanilla+ mod with emphasis on using a wide variety of transport vehicles to move goods around. For example, stack sizes are lower, but you can put things into cargo containers and stack those instead --- e.g. a cargo ship can carry 5,000 iron plates directly, or 100,000 if you put them into cargo containers first.

Here's a reddit writeup about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/12odxwv/freight_forwarding_review_tldr_its_good/

One of the more well-known factorio youtubers is currently doing a playthrough
https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

IMlemon posted:

Go down the rabbit hole of UPS optimization and you'll be introduced to a new world. 8 and 12 beacon is almost always wrong. Beacons themselves have a small UPS cost, but you have so many of them that you have to think constantly about how to get the machines laid out so that you can get the beacon affects you need without over-beaconing anything at the same time. And what counts as "too much" depends on what is consuming the thing you're making so it's always different.

It's not for everyone but I am having a lot of fun, and when people say "Beacons make everything look the same"... I know what they mean and I empathize, but to me it's just not true.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think the problem with beacons is they're way too visually busy. One beacon looks really cool. 100 beacons look terrible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've never quite liked how they looked - they look like weird sarlac pit things, I barely noticed the tower/antenna in the middle. I do like the modules are visible.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The old beacon graphics were better.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/classic-beacon

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
At least they went away from the full height radio tower design

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z10QL4PLZo
(nothing really interesting in episodes 1 and 2.
3 is when he starts showing off the actual ChatGPT outputs)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We've been playing some modded hellset of Krastorio + Space Exploration. We're at well over 100 hours on this server and the fun modular spaceships are still super far away. I spent like... 5 hours yesterday just on holmium ingot production and I have more work to do there. I also can't believe how much vitamelange we use, one automated rocket full of nuggets isn't bringing enough back, I might have to set up a second and crank our rocket fuel production way up.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah, I recently went back to my K2+SE play through that I had burned out on and my rebuilt iridium factory uses 4 out going cargo rockets and 4 incoming cargo rockets while my vulcanite plant now has hundreds of centrifuges so scaling things up turns it up to 11.

edit: biggest complaint is that you can't make rocket fuel without making solid fuel first, that iron plate is more of a irritation than you would think.

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 23, 2023

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

A fun, if offbeat use for circuit logic comes from UPS optimization too.

Problem: inserters unloading steel plates onto a belt will wake up as soon as there is 1 steel plate in the furnace. But that's wasted inserter activity, which is a hit to UPS (and wastes power, if you care about that).

How would you design an inserter clock to ensure that the inserter doesn't wake up until there are 12 plates in the furnace, without sacrificing throughput?

If you don't want to figure it all out yourself, there's a YouTube video describing one reliable approach, and a python script that does the math shown in this video and spits out a blueprint.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think the easiest solution is to just not care if you're "wasting" single-digits of extra steel in the furnace's output slot - just enable the output inserter when (number of input plates - (number of output plates * 5)) > 60. You do get full throughput once it's all warmed up.

e: I guess you need to use a different multiplier if you have productivity modules, and you might end up having more excess in the output slot. But it still runs at full throughput once there's enough of a buffer established, and there's no need to think about rates or timings at all - it's purely inputs vs. outputs.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 24, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is a time clocked approach really going to improve UPS? It is necessarily one memory op every tick which is like a mountain of processing compared to all the voodoo going on inside inserter performance.

Last I screwed with circuits a clock was a quick way to drop 1 UPS on the spot but I think it's been optimized since then.

The right solution seems to keep as much back pressure as possible so the inserter doesn't have the chance to swing at full speed taking full advantage of the overly optimized factory element performance. Otherwise has anybody modded angular rate limiting to inserters yet?

E. Googling it and reminding myself UPS optimization is insane and an inserter sitting over a full belt is also bad for UPS. Also that people do this and sometimes get gains (sometimes not?) and it's probably something to do just for fun considering you just got done doing every other impactful optimization first.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 24, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I thought after 1.1 inserter clocking was no better or worse than not doing it. It was a big craze for a while and then the patch changed something but people keep thinking it's an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Clocking inserters is definitely not always going to help in every context, but in bases big enough to give you UPS problems, some recipes should be clocked when unloaded onto belts. Steel and advanced circuits are common examples, because the recipes are often too slow to direct insert.

Belts got tons of optimizations between 0.16-0.18. Inserter activity is still a huge drain on UPS in a big base in 1.1.

But you can test stuff like this yourself, and I recommend that you do. There's so much folklore out there from gurus who have been playing the game forever and so they tell you about UPS concerns that have been optimized out long ago. For instance Nilaus did a video tutorial on UPS optimization that is full of misinformation that doesn't apply anymore in 1.1.

Scientific doubt is good! You should not believe it just because I told you, or anyone else on the internet told you. `factorio --benchmark` is powerful :)