Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

King Hong Kong posted:

I doubt any of us mind at all. It’s just nice to have a place that isn’t influencer or influencer-adjacent dominated to chat about parenting (and also situations like yours).

I appreciate that so much. Y’all have given me a ton of perspective and helped me overall be more empathetic to my partner as we navigate whatever the gently caress is going on. (I tried peeking into the stepparent subreddit aaaaand uh yikes nope)

For the record, meeting the mother went surprisingly okay. She just happened to be taking kiddo’s twin step brothers to the same Easter Egg fiasco and we encountered each other at the playground afterwards. She and my partner are…not on fantastic terms, so I’ve been nervous. But she cordially introduced herself and said that kiddo loves me and talks about me CONSTANTLY. I was super touched but also slightly screaming internally.

In any case, probably good that the bandaid has been ripped off because I’d been stressing about it. My mother was a stepmother to my brothers and though she made a lot of mistakes, she always made sure to be on really good terms with their mother and that was such great move. Way less drama for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CherryCola posted:

So...kind of parenting adjacent question. Are there/have there been any threads specifically for step parents/partners of people with children? I realize a lot of the things I'm dealing with (unexpectedly met the kid's mother for the first time this weekend) are along those lines and I definitely don't want to take away from the Real Parents in this thread.

In other news, we took him to this big easter egg hunt event and watching him talk strategy beforehand with another young kid was amusing as hell. He decided he was going for ONLY BLUE EGGS and boy did he ever, with the exclamation that he WON THE WHOLE THING! afterwards.

His phrase this weekend was "you're the BEST!" which was cute as heck :3

edit: other phrase was NO I DON'T HAVE TO, though...

CherryCola posted:

I appreciate that so much. Y’all have given me a ton of perspective and helped me overall be more empathetic to my partner as we navigate whatever the gently caress is going on. (I tried peeking into the stepparent subreddit aaaaand uh yikes nope)

For the record, meeting the mother went surprisingly okay. She just happened to be taking kiddo’s twin step brothers to the same Easter Egg fiasco and we encountered each other at the playground afterwards. She and my partner are…not on fantastic terms, so I’ve been nervous. But she cordially introduced herself and said that kiddo loves me and talks about me CONSTANTLY. I was super touched but also slightly screaming internally.

In any case, probably good that the bandaid has been ripped off because I’d been stressing about it. My mother was a stepmother to my brothers and though she made a lot of mistakes, she always made sure to be on really good terms with their mother and that was such great move. Way less drama for everyone.

I applaud efforts to stay on good terms, just wish it was an option with Horse Humper.

But as a step-dad myself I'm not sure you need to worry about finding the right thread. Meeting the bioparent is as much a part of parenting as sharing horror stories about blowouts.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Renegret posted:

At 4 year old soccer practice

This is the funniest poo poo

Our 4yo son wanted to play soccer. He's the youngest on his 6 and under team, and I've done a very poor job explaining the sport to him. Half of his practices and games have been rained out so far, but it's been fun watching him try to catch on. He just needs to stop picking up his ball to protect it from being kicked by other kids.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We have our 3 year olds in a toddler soccer class and us parents consider it a win if the kids don’t run off screaming and the practice doesn’t end in a collective meltdown.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Toddler soccer is just a dust cloud with a gazillion tiny feet chasing after the ball and then missing the kick. It's the best.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was in little league, which was a bubble gum club where you stood in a field then got ice cream

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

CherryCola posted:

step parents
Real Parents

These two terms are far from mutually exclusive, in my opinion. Just as if you switched "step parents" for "bio parents" they would be far from synonymous.

Even if being a step parent throws up some situations which other parents don't experience, like meeting bio mum, there are plenty of situations other bio parents encounter and discuss that are not universal. All part of the parental tapestry. If you are doing your best to fulfil the role you have then you more than belong in here, in my opinion.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

We had Easter at my in-laws' this weekend. My brother-in-law didn't show up because his kids were sick. Unsure how sick, but my in-laws seem to be of the mindset that if they aren't dying, you should show up to holiday events and risk spreading things because that's what families are supposed to do.

It doesn't help that my brother-in-law's wife is a hypochondriac for their kids, and is constantly monitoring temperatures and heart rates and will go to the doctor at the slightest sign of illness. She will also avoid family gatherings if she hears so much that one of the other kids has a little sniffle.

This all compounds to my wife being stuck between her mom/dad/sister and her brother on opposite sides of the spectrum on how to handle illnesses. I keep telling her that it's not her job to be the mediator and fix relationships in her family. We're on thin ice enough being the only liberals there, and we don't want to be ostracized like her brother because we lean toward his perspective of not spreading communicable disease.

My father-in-law routinely says poo poo like "who's that?" when you talk about my brother-in-law's kids. "Oh, make sure to save that for Kid 1 since they aren't here." "Who's that?" Like come on dude, he's your goddamn grandchild. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Sounds like it’s worth being ostracized. Who would want to be around that bullshit.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
You've got to get some big loogie sputum directly into your father in laws mouth and then laugh at him relentlessly

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

:sever:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sounds rough. Never stop bringing up them other kids.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

slave to my cravings posted:

Sounds like it’s worth being ostracized. Who would want to be around that bullshit.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Yall arent on thin ice, its the other way around.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Severing is not an option. I wouldn't bat an eye if we never saw them again. But despite all their flaws, it's my wife's family, and she loves them and would be devastated to not see them again. Our kids also love them, and they are generally good grandparents (pettiness notwithstanding) that love their grandchildren.

It's a good point to change the perspective to them being on thin ice. Them not being with us wouldn't hurt nearly as much as us keeping the grandkids from them.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

These two terms are far from mutually exclusive, in my opinion. Just as if you switched "step parents" for "bio parents" they would be far from synonymous.

Even if being a step parent throws up some situations which other parents don't experience, like meeting bio mum, there are plenty of situations other bio parents encounter and discuss that are not universal. All part of the parental tapestry. If you are doing your best to fulfil the role you have then you more than belong in here, in my opinion.

Oh geez I’m so sorry I really didn’t even mean to make that distinction. My mom has, even as an ex stepmom, been the most stable parental figure in my brothers’ lives.

I was just meaning more comparing myself as still “the girlfriend.” But I do my best to be in a supporting role as much as possible. Like Sunday when we were getting the kid some food cart food and we were essentially doing a slow motion juggle handing drinks and food containers back and forth between us and him. I only see him on the weekends but yeah…I try to make him feel safe and happy and step in where needed without stepping on his dad’s toes.

My partner has actually had to tell me a few times that I “outrank the four year old” and can give him direction and tell him “no” where necessary. It’s a little nerve wracking sometimes, but I think I’m getting better :)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

CherryCola posted:

Oh geez I’m so sorry I really didn’t even mean to make that distinction. My mom has, even as an ex stepmom, been the most stable parental figure in my brothers’ lives.

I was just meaning more comparing myself as still “the girlfriend.” But I do my best to be in a supporting role as much as possible. Like Sunday when we were getting the kid some food cart food and we were essentially doing a slow motion juggle handing drinks and food containers back and forth between us and him. I only see him on the weekends but yeah…I try to make him feel safe and happy and step in where needed without stepping on his dad’s toes.

My partner has actually had to tell me a few times that I “outrank the four year old” and can give him direction and tell him “no” where necessary. It’s a little nerve wracking sometimes, but I think I’m getting better :)

You're already doing better than a lot of people! It's good to work on boundaries ahead of time with the other person and it sounds like your partner is letting you know, you'll get more comfortable as you spend more time with the kid and you don't break them/they have a massive tantrum when you say no and are then fine two minutes later/etc. Like trust me as a parent I have fireman carried a screaming child who did not want to be told no and in the moment I feel like a monster but it'll be fine.

It's also okay for you to pre emptively talk about things with your partner like " what is your stance on if the kid starts talking about death" if you're worried!

Honestly liking and being honest with kids is most of the hard part and if you've got that you can figure the details out.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Heck yeah got to call around to multiple area pharmacies to find in-stock antibiotics for my son’s stealth ear infection. Love that this can’t be an easier process.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Got back from an appointment for my almost 23 month olds oral thrush that's hanging around... Apparently she hasn't really gained any weight in the last 3-4 months? Pediatrician is saying not to worry too much but I can't help but feel stressed anyway :sigh:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Me to daughter, she's been watching tv briefly as we needed time for my wife to do sfuff.

me: "okay let's turn it off after this one"
daughter: "mom said I could watch a couple more episodes"
me: "and how many are a couple?"
daughter: "two to four"

she obviously knows what a couple means, numerically

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

CherryCola posted:

Gotcha, and no need to apologise at all! I didn't think you were casting aspersions on step parents - just thought you were kind of being self-deprecating.

Yeah, I imagine it's a tricky role to try and fill, especially in the early days with things like boundary enforcement, and later on maybe even things like discipline, if applicable. Just got to communicate with your partner and work it out as you go along, I guess. I'm sure people in this thread will always be happy to give input/perspective too, if you need!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just got word that State Speech Therapist evaluated my toddler. He is average in 2 categories and above average in the other 3. The numbers are complicated and criteria are confusing. Wishing I was there so I can see my boy crush the tests and trails placed before him.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017
Well, we've got four teeth coming in all at once. I've never seen this poor girl so miserable. It is kinda amusing to watch her explore her new molar though!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Got back from an appointment for my almost 23 month olds oral thrush that's hanging around... Apparently she hasn't really gained any weight in the last 3-4 months? Pediatrician is saying not to worry too much but I can't help but feel stressed anyway :sigh:

I think my kid gained no more than ~2 lbs a year from 12 months to 3 years old. He went from mega-chonk baby to scrawny toddler. He’s solidly average height and still thin but no longer hovering at the bottom of the weight percentiles. He went from 80th to 4th in that time frame. Kids body comp tends change as they get older and active.

If your pediatrician isn’t worried, and kiddo is getting taller and hitting milestones and otherwise active, I wouldn’t worry either.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

cailleask posted:

I think my kid gained no more than ~2 lbs a year from 12 months to 3 years old. He went from mega-chonk baby to scrawny toddler. He’s solidly average height and still thin but no longer hovering at the bottom of the weight percentiles. He went from 80th to 4th in that time frame. Kids body comp tends change as they get older and active.

If your pediatrician isn’t worried, and kiddo is getting taller and hitting milestones and otherwise active, I wouldn’t worry either.

Thanks, that helps me feel a lot better. Parent brains are just so good at making up problems to worry about.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks, that helps me feel a lot better. Parent brains are just so good at making up problems to worry about.

Ugh my 8 week old has torticollis and is starting to get a flat spot on her head. We are doing the exercises from the doc but I'm so worried. Also I started back at work this week and I'm so sad and miss her so much.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

WrenP-Complete posted:

Ugh my 8 week old has torticollis and is starting to get a flat spot on her head. We are doing the exercises from the doc but I'm so worried. Also I started back at work this week and I'm so sad and miss her so much.

Hang in there, that sounds like a lot to deal with. I think I would have had a really rough time going back to work after only 8 weeks personally so I salute anyone who is strong enough to get through all that

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'm thinking about getting one of those folding wagons for the kids to ride about instead of a stroller. Any recommendations? Or are they all crap?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just got and assembled Double Stroller today. I am terrified that it will not fit in any trunk.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

c355n4 posted:

I'm thinking about getting one of those folding wagons for the kids to ride about instead of a stroller. Any recommendations? Or are they all crap?

We got a Radio Flyer folding wagon because we had seen our friend's daughter get excellent use out of the same model for years. Hoping it works out as well for us too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTUGC5K

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

c355n4 posted:

We got a folding wagon from Costco (not sure which one, I think it had XL in the name) to take on beach trips but it works very well to pull the kid around the block. Needs a cushion on the bottom though.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've had the folding radio flyer wagon for a couple years and my only complaint is that the pull handle is a little short (I'm only 5'10"). Otherwise it's been great.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

Mine had torticollis. Never crawled normally. With physical therapy, she was straightened out in a few months. At age 7, she's just like any other kid. It's scary, but you're doing what you need to do.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My parents bought the radio flyer folding wagon for a big trip with my nephews and then immediately had no need of it and gave it to us. As someone who benefits from the item without paying, it's great!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My grandpa got the radio flyer wagon (the original metal and wood one for our kid) for us (I guess it’s a family tradition) and its been turned into a garage storage container.

The kid refuses to pull it and when I pull him in it he tries to stand up, which has lead to one bloody lip.

It is so much less convenient than a stroller and isn’t the super space age wagons that I see all the 2+ kid families use to trek 100lbs of provisions and children to the beach.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

space uncle posted:

My grandpa got the radio flyer wagon (the original metal and wood one for our kid) for us (I guess it’s a family tradition) and its been turned into a garage storage container.

The kid refuses to pull it and when I pull him in it he tries to stand up, which has lead to one bloody lip.

It is so much less convenient than a stroller and isn’t the super space age wagons that I see all the 2+ kid families use to trek 100lbs of provisions and children to the beach.

We had a regular Radio Flyer wagon when I was a kid and we barely used it, except on super windy days. Then we'd pull it into the road and rig up a broomstick & a hoodie as a sail. If you were good, you could steer & manage the sail, and the drat thing made pretty good speed.

This is all predicated on living somewhere with high winds, flat roads, and essentially zero traffic, of course.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Pham Nuwen posted:

We got a Radio Flyer folding wagon because we had seen our friend's daughter get excellent use out of the same model for years. Hoping it works out as well for us too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTUGC5K

I have this one as well and it’s been great for walking the toddler and senior chihuahua around the neighborhood :)

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

+1 to the Radio flyer. We looked at a lot of reviews but at the end of the day wanted something cheaper, and lighter, and it is great for our 3 y/o.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

We all got COVID over easter. 18month old twins are going to be cooped up inside the house for at least another week and a bit. My future is grim...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Funnily enough we've got the radio flyer "off road" wagon on the way; ordered the other day and it's supposed to be arriving tomorrow. I've been going back and forth on it for a while, especially with a second kid on the way. I figure it'll be nice for schlepping the toddler around before her sister gets here in a few months though, and after if one of us is out with her without the baby or if we're wearing the baby. Plus it'll presumably be handy in the future when the baby is old enough to sit in it.