Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This chapter kinda puts a a point on how Ruby, for all her considerable brain power and talent, still doesn't quite have her poo poo figured out to the level where she's as scary as Aqua. Unless she has some kind of weird hookup with spooky crow girl that we're not aware of.

Those two finally realizing who each other really are (if it actually happens, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't) is probably my most anticipated moment in this comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 36 hours!)

Ruby is kind of a dummy. Aqua mentioned she seems to have talent, but I think brain power wise, she's pretty weak.
Her previous life experience was one where she spent it in a hospice situation and died young.

She only put together a few pieces n her new life and went black star for like...half a year? While Aqua was on it right after Ai's death.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rubellavator posted:

it's definitely going to Akane isn't it?

I mean Akane has had an Ai in her back pocket since like chapter ~27.

Like she was so able to embody break down, understand and emulate Ai in like a day or two that she short circuit'd Aqua. And She's now Older, and knows more than she did then about Ai and what happened.

In a Competition there is no one alive who is going to out act Akane at being Ai.

Outside of the Dark Idol Sharingan doing some poo poo.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Akane being able to stimulate the star power means she's a potential target. Even if its just a clone jutsu, she's still gonna be in danger

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

OnimaruXLR posted:

Those two finally realizing who each other really are (if it actually happens, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't) is probably my most anticipated moment in this comic

Aqua's always known, though. And when Ruby finds out who he is and that he's known all along, it could actually completely shatter what little trust she has remaining in him.

The flash-forward to the movie premiere at the beginning of the series seems to suggest he gets back in her good graces, though it could also be a bit of very convincing acting.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Aqua's always known, though. And when Ruby finds out who he is and that he's known all along, it could actually completely shatter what little trust she has remaining in him.

The flash-forward to the movie premiere at the beginning of the series seems to suggest he gets back in her good graces, though it could also be a bit of very convincing acting.

Aqua does not know.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Aqua and Ruby both know they’re reincarnates, but neither of them know who their respective previous lives were.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They both sort of agreed to not pry about it, like it would be an invasion of privacy to ask or something.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
C'mon. He already had his suspicions when they were infants and her reaction to seeing his corpse would have confirmed it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Having just watched the first episode of the anime as a refresher, he definitely didn't have suspicions as an infant.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Having just watched the first episode of the anime as a refresher, he definitely didn't have suspicions as an infant.

He kinda did, but Ruby shut them down so he shrugged and abandoned the line of thought entirety.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

C'mon. He already had his suspicions when they were infants and her reaction to seeing his corpse would have confirmed it.

Aqua has no idea that Ruby found his corpse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1646563874840117263?t=d1FX3o7QQTfFiozobS7kzQ&s=19

aka's starting another series with a new artist at the end of the month. seems to confirm that this is the final arc for oshi no ko.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

probably still gonna be at least 6months if it is.
i think he's focusing on writing now.
so he can just maintain 2 series at once as long as they can find artists to pair him with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

probably still gonna be at least 6months if it is.
i think he's focusing on writing now.
so he can just maintain 2 series at once as long as they can find artists to pair him with.

if hes just doing the writing then he could have written everything he needs to (minus some small calls for edits and such as it goes) already

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Not sure if this goes better here or the anime thread, but Oshi no Ko’s YouTube page released a bunch of the B-Komachi insert songs from this first episode yesterday, and they’re pretty banger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZC_917IvU

Calls built in to them as well, so my wotagei rear end is fed. First song is Star⭐️T⭐️Rain, the song that the revived B-Komachi sang at TIF, IIRC.

Gotta work on my Romansu if I wanna get as good as Aqua and Ruby were as babies, but I used the last of my last UOs (ultra orange glowsticks, the Snow Halation special) at Hololive Karaoke at Anime Boston last weekend. I should fix that, but ordering them from Japan is a hassle and a half. Oh well, I have another 2 boxes on hold at a friend’s place in Philly, just gotta find some time to meet up with him.

They also released a number of 3 man choreo videos of the songs above today, including one of Rieri, AI’s seiyuu, doing the 2.5D idol thing and performing some of “B is Our Sign”, which is said to be B-Komachi’s signature song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjKvE-lcPYI

Man, Rieri continues to be great. And the three man choreo is probably hinting at something, but since the dancers are masked up, I can’t tell if they’re the seiyuu of the new B-Komachi doing the 2.5D seiyuu thing, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens in the future.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I want to see some Pyon workout videos.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Spoilers for episode 1 obviously, an interview with Rie Takahashi about her working on Oshi no Ko
https://anitrendz.net/news/2023/04/14/rie-takahashi-voice-of-ai-shares-passion-in-oshi-no-ko/

Interestingly enough, she was actually aiming to voice Akane-chan at first, but didn't pass the first round auditions for her.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wowie, that was some first episode. I do wonder where they would start and end the episodes if they made regular sized ones instead of a movie length one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So the anime's probably going end with the Reality Show arc, right? I'm suddenly looking forward to seeing Akane turn on the galaxy eyes in animation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Clarste posted:

So the anime's probably going end with the Reality Show arc, right? I'm suddenly looking forward to seeing Akane turn on the galaxy eyes in animation.

Probably it depends on the pacing. seems like it's a one cour show. We'll have a better idea of the pacing after the next episode. It took ~3 chapters to cover ~10 chapters (no flashforwards tho)

If it keeps up with that pace then yeah logical ending point is the reality show arc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its def. gonna be the reality show arc, there's an emotional climax at the end of it that at least sort of ties back into some of the stuff brought up in ep 1 (the internet culture/fan obsession stuff), makes way too much sense. idk where else you'd even end it that it could reasonably reach.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, like, you could go a little further if you speed up the pacing, but why would you want to? It'd just make a worse story overall. And cutting off in the middle of it is just silly.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, my friends on Discord think it has to at least get to the Touken Ranbu arc, for Akane’s sake, but I feel that’s too much to cram into one cour. Guess we’ll see what the pacing is like on Wednesday when they don’t have a 4 regular episode length of time to work with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's also worth noting probably that the post-timeskip montage at the end of episode 1 was showing all the reality show kids, most of whom never show up again, so it'd be weird to frame them as important unless that's what the season is about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the touken ranbu arc is absolutely impossible to get into in one cour from where we are. that arc would probably take like 6 episodes to adapt on its own.

the manga's very popular and this show's already getting a lot of buzz, it's going to get a complete adaptation/multiple seasons. there's no reason to speed through the material.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I figure the TIF show with the revived B-Komachi is a natural enough stopping point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No way they can get to that in 11/12 episodes.

At least all the way through.

It has to be the reality show. Finale, leading into the formation of the Reformed B-Komachi.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
Caught the first episode and then binged the entirety of the manga that's out. It's very good, but there's a glaring flaw in that Memcho's not in every chapter.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

You mean Kana

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Trailer for the second episode is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUZlxz7E7kQ

Looks like we’re at least getting 3 chapters with this episode, since there’s a scene leading up to Kana meeting with Aqua and Ruby again in their new high school. So with that pace, ending on the B-Komachi concert at TIF isn’t out of the question.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not completely out of the question, but it does require them to rush a little in order to reach a place that's probably less satisfying as a climax to the season. Like, why would you rush through the parts with Akane and social media and whatnot that directly mirror the parts with Ai from episode 1 as the perfect bookending, just so you can get to a part that feels like it'd be a perfect reintroduction to the characters in season 2?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just need them to animate chapter 25 perfectly

It's all I want

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That said, I believe the author said in regards to Kaguya-sama that he writes his stories with adaptations in mind and inserts "season finales" at regular intervals, so I wonder what his intentions were here.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Clarste posted:

That said, I believe the author said in regards to Kaguya-sama that he writes his stories with adaptations in mind and inserts "season finales" at regular intervals, so I wonder what his intentions were here.

Kana literally has a title drop at the end of the idol concert, that's almost certainly going to be the finale of the season.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hm, in that case I have mixed feelings about the show starting with Ai's murder, which is clearly the hook that gets people to keep watching, and ending with an arc about how cool (albeit difficult) it is to be an idol. Something seems a little off there, imo, thematically. Maybe I'm just biased though, since tbh I found it the least interesting part of the entire story on a reread, and just kind of skimmed through it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The OP just dropped on youtube, seems to suggest new B-Komachi

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's been a while and I forgot, have we ever seen a hint of what the former members of OG B-Komachi are up to these days? Other than Ai for obvious reasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

It's been a while and I forgot, have we ever seen a hint of what the former members of OG B-Komachi are up to these days? Other than Ai for obvious reasons.
There's that short story that was released with the anime from one of their perspectives. otherwise, no.

Going by the short story they all flamed out of the industry after and are just living normal lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh, I should hunt down that short story then, was always curious what happened to them.