Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

EggsAisle posted:

It's funny how this series does character names. You've got names that wouldn't be out of place on a server's nametag in Wisconsin mixed with the likes of Fayt Leingod, Lymle whatever-the-hell, and of course Edge fuckin' Maverick (sick guitar riffmournful guitar keening.)

*ineffectual pantywaist guitar solo*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

LJN92 posted:

Woah nelly, I can appreciate not liking Sarah one bit, but surely we can't put her on the same level as Meracle and Lymle?

Truthfully, the target of my ire shifts scene to scene

Meracle's outfit is always the worst tho

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Everyone is just insufferable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What the gently caress, that bunny blob.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And now Reimi's hiding something from the party, probably to be revealed at the stupidest and least convenient moment. I suppose she has the "excuse" of EDGE MAVERICK'S emotional state being fragile right now, after he proved he was unfit for command by accomplishing what hundreds of JRPG villains before him had failed at through sheer incompetence. He's still not as bad of a protagonist as Leonard from White Knight Chronicles, though.

LJN92 posted:

"Hmm...For a scream, I'd say it lacked a sense of urgency."
Even the game's mocking its own terrible voice acting now. Why does Sarah sound like a bored kindergarten teacher? Granted, with the average intellect of the current party I guess it seems appropriate, at least in her conversations with them.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Actually.... yeah, no Edge was right to try to keep her out of the party, we don't need Meracle to start walking around with a knife, fork and bib and a gigantic salt and pepper shaker all the time.
Also, do we really want to have to listen to her in every cutscene?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

EggsAisle posted:

For all that, though, I gotta say, I'm having a ton of fun reading this LP. Much more than I would playing the game. Thanks for doing this!

No problem.

Commander Keene posted:

Even the game's mocking its own terrible voice acting now. Why does Sarah sound like a bored kindergarten teacher? Granted, with the average intellect of the current party I guess it seems appropriate, at least in her conversations with them.

I believe this is their interpretation of "airhead that doesn't fully understand/appreciate what's happening".

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 20 - Nomadic Bunnylords

"...Captain's Log, Space Date 10.

God, I just helped save some local woman with wings called Sarah Jerand, completely violating the non-interference principle I'd sworn to uphold since....since I...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

"Put a sock in it, Edge, we have to go meet the nomads!"

Anyway, we're off to see the nomads, just outside of Tatroi. Cutscenes await.

Click here for a very important cutscene where you learn what a bunny is.

"Yeah. She said "ride," so I assume they must be pretty big..."

"Fluffy?"

"Wait...You mean like that pink thing we saw in the mountains?"

"Yup! That was a bunny!"

And end scene. No idea what that waste of time was for, given we'll be seeing a bunny up close soon.

Now for something even more pointless, we must first ask a random tribal at the tanning rack about bunnies, only to be pointed to that old man from the first image in the prior scene. That gets us ANOTHER scene.

Click here to see Faize find his significant other...oh, and hear about bunnies.

The old man says something, but it's unsubtitled and in a fantasy language. Unless they used a real language I don't know and pretended it was fantasy gibberish.

"Mmrgh...I have no idea what he's saying, 'kay?"

"Meracle, can you make it out? If this is your home planet, it's possible that-"

"No, I can't understand a word."

(My Morphus translator is of no use, either. This language structure must be quite anicent indeed.)

"I guess we're stuck..."

"Yes. You all wear such unusual clothes, I remember you well."

Just want to go on an aside here. First, this character's name is Amina. However, we will never be told that in Last Hope. Instead, this was revealed in Star Ocean Anamnesis, tri-Ace's gacha game, where they added Amina as a character, despite her not being a fighter of any kind in this game. Apparently Amina was a popular fan name for her before being officially adopted.

Also, when I heard her voice acting when recording, I realised there was something familiar about her voice. I couldn't find anything googling, but after thinking on it hard enough, I'm pretty sure it's Komachi from Infinite Undiscovery. Here's a voice comparison if you'd like to tell me if I'm correct or not.

Anyway, we experience a brief cut.

"But I can translate, so feel free to ask anything you like."

"Well, we're trying to get to the Purgatorium...Someone we met in town told us we had to ride on a bunny to get there."

Amina speaks the fantasy language to her grampa, then listens into his response.

"It's true. The only way to cross the desert of quicksands is astride a bunny."

"So can we have one? I won't eat it!"

"Eat it!? Of course you won't eat it!"

"Tee-hee-hee-hee!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you have our bunny."

"Why not?"

"We consider him to be an important member of our family. He's been with us since he was a baby, after all. You can't just go handing your family over to strangers, can you?"

"Of course not...I hope you can forgive us for making such a flippant request."

"You're a serious one, aren't you? Don't worry. My grandfather isn't angry, and neither am I."

"I'm glad."

"But what are we supposed to do now?"

"Hmm...How about trying to capture a field bunny?"

"A field bunny?"

"Wild bunnies that live in the forests near here. If you can catch one, you'll have your very own mount."

"Is that even possible?"

"Yes, of course it is. Even mine was a field bunny once, you know. Here, let me show you."

"He's the first bunny I caught as a child, and he's still a very important friend to me. All right, now run along and play for a while."

"Is this like the summoning symbology Lym uses...?"

(Not quite, Miss Reimi. This is somewhat different.)

"Hmm? Did you just hear a voice?"

"Uh, um...well, you see, Reimi, summoning is actually a sort of contract, so to speak."

"Contract?"

"Only a few particular beings from other worlds can become subject to those contracts. Lymle can only summon one specific creature, right?"

"Now that you mention it, it is always Cerberus..."

"The power she just used isn't summoning. It's more like...transference. She can freely move any object she wants to another location."

"But as that distance grows, so does the time it takes to cover it."

*Ineffectual pantywaist hyperventilating*

"But that is not how transference works. Transference breaks down the actual data of a physical object, then reconstructs it at any desired location. In other words, the transfer of matter can be accomplished in the blink of an eye...nearly instantaneously! Even we Eldarians haven't managed to achieve that. However, it's much more difficult coordinating transfers for small objects than it is for more massive ones."

"Achieving transference with just a single symbol is astonishing. That's really the only way I can put it."

:newlol:

"The technique has been passed down through the ages among our tribe, and it's our duty to continue to do so."

"Is there a particular reason for that?"

"I'm afraid...nobody really knows."

"Nobody?"

"No...All I can say is that our people have always been called "The Openers," and that this technique has been with us for generations."

""The Openers"...you say?"

"Nobody remembers why we bear the name...Not even my grandfather and the other elders."

"...What's this?"

"Reins for riding a bunny. As long as you have these, you shouldn't have any problem training one."

"Can we really accept something so precious from you?"

"Of course. All we have to do is make another."

"This will be a huge help. Thank you so much."

"So, with regards to the transfer technique..."

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid we can't teach it to outsiders. But if you were to join our tribe..."

"...I'll certainly give the matter consideration."

And we cut again.

"Yes?"

Amina goes back inside the tent.

Now Playing - Peace of Mind

"This is...one of the cloaks the members of your tribe wear..."

"As long as you have it on, the field bunnies shouldn't be as wary of you. I think this particular cloak would fit you best. I wish there were enough for all of you, but right now this is the only one we have..."

"Are you certain? Not just the reins, but this cloak as well?"

"We receive the benefit of much goodwill on our travels. The least we can do is repay those favors, don't you think?"

"That's a splendid way of thinking. It would be disrespectful to refuse such an offer."

Amina hands Faize the cloak.

Aaaaaand another cut.

"...Huh? What's that weird thing you're wearing?"

"It was a gift. They were such a rustic and friendly people."

Lymle circles Faize, looking at his cloak.

"You look really bad in it, 'kay?"

"...The girl told me the same thing..."

The two of them march onwards, and the scene finally ends.

"Yeah, probably. Besides, now that I know what bunnies smell like, I bet I could figure it out."

"That's one reliable nose you've got there, Merry. Hmm? Faize, what's that you're wearing?"

"This? The girl offered it to me. She said it should make the bunnies less way of us."

"Tee-hee...I see. It looks good on you, Faize."

"I hope so...At any rate, let's go try to catch a bunny."

The cloak is now a permanent feature of Faize's, both in cutscenes and in battle.

I neglected to record it, but if you go back and talk to Amina, she'll imply she gave Faize the cloak because he resembles someone she knew. From the talk of other tribes-people, it's suggested it's someone who died, like a boyfriend or a brother.

Anyway, our destination is just across the bridge Reimi mentioned.

They give us a prompt to say yes or no. Aren't those usually for important decisions...?

Click here to find out how our bunny catching goes.

*Gasping for air*

"You sure sound bad, given we haven't done much walking..."

Yeah, Meracle just pulled cutlery out of her rear end.

Everyone delivers unsubtitled lines as they try to catch the bunny.

"What's the matter, Reimi!?...Reimi!"

"She's got, like, a terrible fever! What are we gonna do!?"

"Reimi, don't tell me you've been sick all this time..."

Reimi collapses again.

On that note, I shall end this update.

Join me next time, where Edge overcorrects so hard he commits ANOTHER Fucky Wucky.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 25, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
"Don't talk about warp technology!" says the people in space jumpsuit + armor pieces to a guy with elf ears

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want to be a Bunnylord too

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

Also, when I heard her voice acting when recording, I realised there was something familiar about her voice. I couldn't find anything googling, but after thinking on it hard enough, I'm pretty sure it's Komachi from Infinite Undiscovery. Here's a voice comparison if you'd like to tell me if I'm correct or not.

That is pretty convincing but yeah I can't find any evidence one way or the other either.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

LJN92 posted:

Yeah, Meracle just pulled cutlery out of her rear end.

I... I thought I imagined thinking she did the cartoon bullshit. Or maybe I just hoped I imagined it knowing the game had no shame.

e: Come on Barney!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

FeyerbrandX posted:

I... I thought I imagined thinking she did the cartoon bullshit. Or maybe I just hoped I imagined it knowing the game had no shame.

e: Come on Barney!

you could power a small patreon-funded video essayist with the number of tone problems in this one cutscene

burgeoning romance(?) with Nameless Elf Lady, weirdly reverent gameplay tutorial, lymle and faize continuing to be extremely weird, edge continuing to mope about having killed billions, cartoon cat hungry, and then oh by the way Our Hero's Girlfriend has contracted The Plot Says You Can't Be In Charge Anymore out of nowhere

no one of these is done well and the whole is appreciably less than the sum of its parts

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

*Ineffectual pantywaist hyperventilating* : Let's Play Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the old man is talking with out of place words and he definitely said bunny at one point, just like Amina did when talking to him.

That bib could be an improvement on Meracle if it was much longer.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Black Robe posted:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd say this is comeuppance for ignoring the problems that alien (to you) flora and fauna could cause, but we all know this is either some Fantasy Magic Bullshit Disease, or a Secret Childhood Illness she's been hiding from everyone for... Reasons.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think the old man is talking with out of place words and he definitely said bunny at one point, just like Amina did when talking to him.

That bib could be an improvement on Meracle if it was much longer.
I think we call "Bib, but longer" just "an apron".

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Black Robe posted:

Everyone is just insufferable. Let's Play Star Ocean: The Last Hope

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 21 - When a Stupid Man Does Nothing

"...Captain's Log, Space Date 10.

Reimi has been stricken with some kind of sickness. We're carrying her back to Tatroi in hopes of getting her treated...

I can't help but feel like this will somehow be my fault, a punishment for interfering with this planet...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Anyway, we cut to Tatroi, where...

Click here to find out what's going on.

Now Playing - Harlequin's Slumber

The legions of hell have marched out of the underworld, and the devil himself cackles madly as he watches over the slaughter!

Or so Sarah's dream goes.

Sarah hears a bunch of noises outside.

"I wonder...Is my neighbor having a nightmare too...?"

Then we cut.

Reimi writhes in agony on the bed as everyone watches.

"Reimi..."

"I'm so sorry..."

"Huh?"

"What...? Reimi, what are you saying!? You don't have anything to apologize for!"

"Please...don't look at me...Don't look at me...like that..."

"I imagine she's apologizing to something in her dream. Judging by her condition, she must be having a terrible nightmare."

"Reirei..."

"Edge...something's wrong with her!"

"Reirei's hand...It's so hard!"

"Wha...!?"

Edge removes one of Reimi's gloves.

"Wait, don't tell me..."

"Is it...bacculus!?"

"I don't want Reirei to end up like Grampa, 'kay!?"

"...Endemic to Roak?"

"It is called stone sickness, and you can see why. It spreads from the extremities to the internal organs, eventually causing death."

"How do you know so much about this?"

"I went through quite a lot in my younger days. But there is no cause for concern; stone sickness has a-"

"Yes, a remedy. She'll be just fine if we give her some."

"Indeed. Stone sickness was at one time an incurable disease, but a treatment does exist now."

"Let's go to Astral Castle via the canal barge. I'm sure we'll be able to find the remedy there."

"Oh, really...? Thank goodness."

"...Sarrie?"

"Wh-what are you doing here!?"

"I'm staying in the next room over, you see. I wondered what was going on, so I came here, and...What a wonderful reunion!"

"Hmm..."

"It's already that bad...?"

"Oh dear. The symptoms are quite advanced."

"C-can we cure her?"

"Yes. It's just as I said before. If you have the remedy, she'll get better in no time."

"I'm glad..."

"I think she must be exhausted, in both mind and body. She's so cute, but she pushes herself too far, doesn't she?"

"Exhaustion...? Reimi..."

It is!

"If only I had kept myself together, Reimi wouldn't have..."

"...Huh?"

Now Playing - Whistle on the Wind (Tearful Mix)

"The only person that regret benefits is yourself. But if you act, others can benefit from your actions.

:stare:

"Doesn't that sound good? I borrowed the saying from someone I respect."

"If you feel responsible for what happened to Reimi, I believe now is the time to make a decision."

*Ineffectual pantywaist moan*

Scene over. The game informs us Reimi is out of the party, of course. This is why they gave us the warning before trying to catch a bunny.

Anyway, we're free to move.

Getting on the barge initiates yet another cutscene.

Click here to get on a boat.

"She's sleeping soundly in the cabin. Lymle and Bacchus are watching over her."

"They traded places with us."

"Her condition is stable, and...well, I can't say much for Lymle, but Reimi will be safe with Bacchus caring for her."

"I see. Well, that's good to hear."

"We're really indebted to you, Miss Jerand. If you hadn't spoke up about the remedy, then...And especially after I was so awful to you the other day..."

"Oh, it doesn't bother me at all. And please, just call me Sarah, okay?"

"Thank you, Sarah."

"Hey, Sarah. Are there a lot of other chickens out there like you?"

"Featherfolk...? What's that? Is that the name of your race?"

"That's right. Sometimes people refer to us as the "Sacred Wings." All my kin flit about the skies of our enclave with ease, but me-I can't fly at all...For me, there things are just a decoration. I don't deserve the name "Sacred Wings.""

*Lip licking noise*

"Good question."

"We Featherfolk have had amicable relations with the king for many generations. When we arrive at Astral Castle, I'll entreat the king. He's very kind, so I'm sure he'll let us have the remedy right away."

"Does he control access to the medicine?"

"Yes. In the past, the remedy was traded for very high prices. All the poor turned to stone, and the continent was facing certain ruin. But that crisis served as a lesson. Now the king manages all of the antidote and sells it cheaply to anyone who needs it."

Sounds like a system wholly dependent on the goodwill of the throne. It won't survive a poor succession.

"Wow! He sure sounds like a nice king!"

"Yes, he's a wonderful king. I'm sure you'll all like him. Look up ahead-that's his castle there."

Cut.

And cut back.

I mean you didn't do anything to make Reimi sick, but your petulant sulking sure made it harder on her and everyone.

"Edge, you're all going to the Purgatorium, right?"

"That was our plan..."

"Well, if you are, would you mind stopping over in Tropp for a while?"

"Tropp?"

"It's a port town on the west coast of this continent. In fact, I was on my way to Tropp to meet a certain person when I ran into all of you. We've been out of contact for so long, and there's something I must discuss with her."

"Um...and who might that be?"

Anyone that's played Star Ocean 1 will recognize the surname of its main character.

"Are you talking about the great sage, the Holy Maiden, Lady Eleyna!?"

"Huh? Great...sage?"

A gourmand is practically synonymous with gluttony. Do we know any felines obsessed with eating things...?

"...why are you making that pose?"

"What kind of book is that...?"

"In the story, the Holy Maiden Eleyna brings a gluttonous cat with her and goes around saving people in trouble with her incredible powers. Lady Eleyna"

"and she devoted her life to helping people...helping the world!"

"...What do you think?"

"Honestly, I can't say. It could be nothing more than a picture book. It may have nothing to do with the real person."

"It does! Lady Eleyna really existed! She led a whole bunch of followers to, like, save the world!"

"This is sounding more and more dubious..."

"In any event, this...Lady Eleyna still seems to be alive."

*Childish grump noises*

"Miss Eleyna is a seer with true powers of divination. She's helped so many people who lost their way by showing them the guideposts they needed to get back on track."

"People who lost their way..."

"How about you try speaking with her, too, Edge? You might find yourself feeling a bit better."

"That would be perfect! The Holy Maiden Lady Eleyna can see the future! It said so in my picture book!"

Meracle starts randomly dancing around going "Meow-me-meow-me-meow".

"Putting that aside for a moment."

*Childishly grumps at everyone ignoring her*

"Sarah is extending us her kindness and I believe we should take it to heart. Only after Reimi has recovered, of course."

"...Yeah. You're right."

Brief cut.

Now Playing - Refinement (Elegant Mix)

"Thank you. But...don't push yourself...okay?"

"Reimi...you never stop, do you...?"

"Really...I'm fine. After all...something like this...can't kill me..."

"Kill you...? Don't say things like that!"

"I'm sorry..."

"What is strange, Miss Sarah?"

"I'm curious about the rate of advance of the stone sickness. Her symptoms began with almost no incubation period, and now the rate of advance is unusually slow."

"Yes, stone sickness usually has a long incubation period, and once symptoms show, it advances quickly."

"Well, I suppose it doesn't matter as long as she's cured."

"...Then I'd have preferred you not mention it at all."

"Now, now, now."

"Let's go!"

"Let's go!"

Edge stands up, nods, and the cutscene ends. Finally.

We can explore Astral, talk to people, buy things, but there's nothing really interesting, so let's head to the castle.

Brand New Guard: "Well, if it isn't the charming Lady Sarah! Please, come right inside. I'm sure His Majesty will be delighted to see you."

We can now waltz into the castle and trigger a cutscene.

Click here to meet the king.

This king was also in Star Ocean 1, albeit a lot older.

" :newlol: That's Lady Sarah for you."

"They seem more friendly with each other than I would have thought."

"Yeah, I guess these Featherfolk people-or maybe even just Sarah herself-are pretty special."

"So, Lady Sarah, I hear that your visit today is in regard to securing sickness remedy for these folk here?"

"Yes, indeed. These people are my friends."

"Your friends, huh?"

"We have come to humbly beg Your Majesty's aid in securing the remedy for our friend who has fallen ill."

"There's no need to be humble. The stone sickness remedy is readily available to all."

Random Knight: "Yes, Sire."

"Thank you very much, Your Majesty."

"Incidentally, good king...there's something I'd like to ask you."

"And what might that be?"

"Has anything unusual happened here lately?"

"Unusual...? Such as?"

"Now I've heard it all..."

"Sarah certainly is most unpredictable."

"Well, I know I'd certainly prefer it if this Archfiend kept all his awful deeds a secret!"

"Mmm, yeah! So...what's an "Archfiend"?"

"If you don't know, Lymle, then don't chime in, all right?"

*Childishly sticks tongue out at Faize*

"Here in Astral some have already begun to show symptoms. We will need to use far more of the remedy than in recent years."

"That sounds like a problem."

"What is worse, the seas are rough, and ships often cannot reach our shores. The raw materials needed for the remedy are beginning to dwindle. Moreover...there have been reports of a suspicious group appearing throughout the country."

"Oh? Edge and his friends, perhaps?"

"...Huh? Is that how you think of us?"

"As it happens, Lady Sarah, the reports relate to that jest of yours from a moment ago."

"Oh?"

Now Playing - Dark Heart, Dark Mind

"Yes, a group has arisen which worships the Archfiend of ages past. They call themselves the Church of Sydonai. They've been causing unrest, proclaiming that only the Archfiend's resurrection can save the world. They wear gray robes that conceal themselves from head to toe. But all they do is worship the Archfiend. Strictly speaking, none of their actions are illegal."

"The Archfiend's...resurrection..."

"Sarah?"

"Sarrie looks a little hale, 'kay?"

"Hale? You mean like hearty?"

"That's PALE."

"I'm sorry, I did not mean to disturb you so. Please, relax until the remedy has been prepared. Someone show out guests to their quarters."

And cut.

"Hmm...such magnificent craftsmanship. The historic symbolism is quite faithfully reproduced..."

Believing himself unspotted, the man keeps running.

"Huh?...Sure."

"Sarah is saying we should go see the king. She says the remedy for the sickness should be prepared by now."

"Good."

Edge pauses, but then walks onwards, ending the scene.

We now have to walk down to the king's chamber.

Click here to find out how Edge hosed it all up.

Yet another Star Ocean 1 character: Lias Warren.

"What's happening? There seems to be a bit of hurly-burly going on."

"I regret to inform you that the castle was infiltrated by a marauder who made off with the sickness remedy."

"What!?"

"I have no words to offer in apology..."

"Reirei's not gonna get better without the medicine, 'kay!?"

"I-is she gonna turn to stone?"

"Who is this marauder?"

""Black Eagle"...?"

"The man is quite skilled...He defeated our guardsmen single-handedly, and made off with our store of the remedy and its raw materials."

"Deplorable..."

"It was a small amount, but would have been enough to treat hundreds. Who knows how many will fall to the disease now..."

"...Your Majesty, may I ask something?"

"Of course. What is it?"

"Can you tell us what this marauder looks like?"

"I am told he's a man far more powerful than the average bandit. That, and...Ah, his tattoo."

*Ineffectual pantywaist grunt*

Yes, that's right; Edge overcorrected so hard on non-interference he ended up putting Reimi and hundreds of people in jeopardy!

"Your Majesty. I will apprehend this criminal."

"...What?"

Now Playing - Ladies and Gentlemen

"I have absolutely no choice but to capture him...No choice!"

Edge runs out, and the party follows after him.

"Lady Sarah, who are those people...?"

"They're my friends. They're very, very kind."

And so Sarah walks out too.

And there I shall stop.

Join me next time, where the game makes everyone kiss Edge's rear end.

...more than ever before.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 25, 2023

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

"If you have time to waste on regret, use it to act instead."

This could have been such a powerful line and it was immediately undercut by Sarah's next two lines.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
king looking like the protagonist of some other, slightly more impressive game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does the King have a name? I would have pegged him as a future evil character, what with being young and with white hair, in an RPG.

I think Asmodeus is a general in Lucifer's army. Allowing Satanists to live is going to bite everyone in the rear end some day or at least cause a little armageddon.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does the King have a name?

Not that I can find. He's just called "King of Astral" on the wiki.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Edge Maverick: Mope First, Ask Questions Never (bitchin' rad synth noodle)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I choose to read Sarah as being aggressively sarcastic all the time. She just slams Edge to his face and then goes "isn't that a nice phrase? :j:"

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

I brought my Drake posted:

"If you have time to waste on regret, use it to act instead."

This could have been such a powerful line and it was immediately undercut by Sarah's next two lines.

I thought the exact same thing. "That's pretty good, actually, not sure wh- oh. Nevermind."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It probably would have been an improvement for her to say such things all the time, attributed to better people, than that "Help me, maybe, I guess.", tier of acting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So wait. There are two, completely unrelated, ailments in space that turn people to stone?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only other Star Ocean game I played, SO2, also has a stone ailment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That does make three unrelated planets and unrelated diseases that all cause people to turn to actual stone. What a weird well to keep going back to.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

So wait. There are two, completely unrelated, ailments in space that turn people to stone?

tri-Ace seems to love recycling ideas. There's references, and then there's this nonsense.

They're even going to more or less redo a plot point from Infinite Undiscovery.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LJN92 posted:

tri-Ace seems to love recycling ideas. There's references, and then there's this nonsense.

They're even going to more or less redo a plot point from Infinite Undiscovery.
I don't remember the moon being evil in SO1 so... please tell me it's not the resolution to Capell's/Aya's "character arcs"...

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 22 - Saint Maverick Did Nothing Wrong

"But I can't worry about that...I've got to catch that guy first!"

"Where're you going, Edgie?"

"Edge, this is not time to be acting this way. We need to find him, but searching at random will accomplish nothing. The Black Eagle will undoubtedly stand out in a crowd. We should start by trying to find some eyewitnesses."

"All right...Let's get started!"

To recap, Edge Fucky Wuckied once again, allowing a bandit to steal the stone sickness remedy from the palace, putting Reimi and the growing number of afflicted people in jeopardy.

Now we've got to go find this bandit, Black Eagle, by....uh...

Well, Faize said to find eyewitnesses, but you can question everyone in Astral. They'll give you no hints whatsoever as to where Black Eagle is.

What you have to do is go to Tatroi. I guess it's the obvious place to look, since you can't leave Astral without going there, but you'd think someone would be like "Hey so I saw some sinister muscle man catch a boat to Tatroi", rather than making us search all of Astral in vain.

Alternatively, if you happen to look at his entry, you'll find out he used to be a bouncer at the Tatroi colosseum, but who'd look in the in-game encyclopedia when Faize gives you a clear objective?

"...!! Pardon me, ma'am, but we're looking for tattooed man. Do you know where he went?"

Unlucky Old Woman: "Huh? Him? He ran off toward the colosseum. I'm sure he was up to no good, too, judging by his looks. If he registered for the tournament, then the law can't get to him until after he's out of it."

"What...? I see...Well, thank you, ma'am."

Manly and Upright Warrior: "A regular fighter wouldn't last a second against that guy. He's a veteran of the duel, that's for sure."

"Do you know where he is right now?"

Manly and Upright Warrior: "...Huh? You got some kinda business with him? He's probably in the colosseum building up his winning streak. I don't know what your deal is, but if you wanna meet him, then entering the tournament's the fastest way to do it. You don't got much time, though. Anyone who wins ten fights in there is guaranteed his freedom, so don't come whining to me if you miss him. If you just absolutely have to see him, then go ahead and enter. Be careful, though."

According to the entries, the colosseum is such a big deal that even the Astral Knights aren't allowed to mess with it, so I guess if Black Eagle "earns his freedom" he's basically won complete immunity from the law or something.

Anyway, the doors next to Mr. Manly are the way into the colosseum, so let's hop on in.

Click here to see Edge in the colosseum.

"Look, if we don't enter this thing, we won't be able to get to the guy that stole the medicine..."

:sigh:

:sigh:

"Yes, fighting them as a normal man could be difficult. But if you fight as yourself, Edge, they should pose no problem....I assume you know what I'm implying, yes?"

"If I make full use of my martial arts, blade techniques, tactics...I won't lose to anyone on this planet. I'm sure of it."

(Yes, they would all be techniques unknown to the people of Roak. But once the battle is finished, all the spectators will know the truth. They will realize that you are different from them.)

I get they'll find his techniques funny and foreign, but wouldn't they just assume he was from some other continent? These people don't have internet, they don't know what fancy fighting moves exist in the world for certain.

"...Yeah. They sure will. If I go through with this battle, my actions could very well turn out to be the catalyst that changes Roak's entire future."

"Oh poo poo, some guy used a fancy pants fighting technique, I'm gonna instantly learn it and use it to conquer a continent!"

"Just like...what happened on that alternate Earth..."

"It's just...I have no idea what could happen as a result of my actions here. And that scares me..."

"Huh?"

"You're gonna fight, Faize?"

"Yes. After all, our friend's life depends upon it. I'm sure you're familiar with the pain of losing people, Lymle."

"...Yeah."

"I know all about that kind of pain, too. Losing friends is really, really difficult..."

*Ineffectual pantywaist gasp*

"I freely admit I'm not fit to judge what's right or wrong here. But I refuse to just sit around feeling sorry about it. So I'm going to fight...for real. And whatever the outcome, I will take full responsibility for it."

"Faize..."

"Edge. The only reason I'm able to make a decision like this is because I've come so far, studying you."

"I don't know what happened to you that made you feel like this, Edge. But I do know...If you stand to lose something important because of your fear of the unknown, it's far more noble to push ahead, no matter how hard it is. Well, actually, I borrowed that from Miss Eleyna, too..."

"...You told me that too, Bacchus, didn't you..."

(Did I say such a thing?)

Edge flashbacks on a bunch of stuff, like Reimi and Alt Earth exploding, all too quickly for me to bother screenshotting.

"I am scared about what might happen. Frankly, I'd still rather just run away from it all...But the thought of losing Reimi scares me even more. I can't tell you how important she is to me. We grew up together..."

Now Playing - Sunny Place (Gallant Remix)

(This is the usual theme for the colosseum)

"...Good luck. And don't forget, Edge: On the road you travel, your friends walk right alongside you."

"Thanks."

Edge walks towards the registry desk, and we cut to the arena.

Now Playing - Chain of Explosions

Black Eagle is not even remotely a threat. He is vulnerable to blindsides and doesn't do nearly enough damage to give us pause. Even in Rush Mode, he doesn't hit hard enough to threaten us.

Black Eagle reaches for his sword.

*Pantywaist squeal*

"F-fine! Take it all! Just...just don't kill me! I only got my advance, but that's better than dying!"

Black Eagle throws a pouch at Edge's feet.

""Advance"? Did someone hire you to steal the remedy?"

"Y-yeah..."

"Hmm..."

Edge then hears people shouting.

Guess the knights decided they didn't care about what the entries said about them being forbidden from interfering here.

:hai:

"Thank you. By the way, the marauder said he was hired by someone. I don't mean to interfere in your affairs, but you may want to investigate that."

"What? You managed to get that much out of him? No wonder one of the Sacred Wings calls you her companion. Plebians such as us can't hold a candle to you."

"No...I haven't done anything..."

"No need for humility. We sallied forth to the colosseum upon reports that the Black Eagle was holed up within...But we did not expect that you would arrive so much earlier than us."

"Please accept my apologies. I shouldn't have been so impertinent..."

"Why apologize? What is a knight to do when a hero expresses regret to him?"

"H-hero!?"

"Many throughout the kingdom suffer from stone sickness this very moment. Your actions have saved them...As well as all those that may yet fall ill from the disease. Those are truly actions befitting a hero. I am certain His Majesty our king would say the same."

"I see. Thank you very much!"

"Wha!?"

"This man recovered the sickness remedy not only for his friend, but for the kingdom was well! He is a true hero!"

The crowd starts chanting Edge's name.

"N-no...I'm not! I'm no hero! Really...Please, stop...I didn't mean to do anything here...All I wanted...was to save Reimi..."

Just imagine if they all knew that he had the chance to stop Black Eagle earlier, but chose not to due to being an ineffectual pantywaist? Ah, but since the game is going out of its way to heap praise on Edge, chances are Lias would spin a yarn about how his actions still prove he's a true hero.

Anyway, we cut to nighttime in Astral.

Click here for the thrilling conclusion to Reimi's sickness.

"Has she recovered?"

"Edge..."

"Yes, Reimi, it's me."

"...Edge."

"Wh-what are you talking about? Not at all....nothing bad...But now that you're better, I..."

"...I see."

"Yes, I'm traveling along with your friends now. I'm very happy that you're doing well. By the way..."

"...!"

"Wait a second...What do you mean by that?"

"Reirei got all better 'cause of the medicine, 'kay?"

"Well, yes, the remedy does cure stone sickenss, of course. But the problem is, it doesn't usually happen this quickly."

"Hmm...what you say is true."

"Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're well, too. I don't like to see anyone turned to stone. It's just...what would you call it? Curiosity? Everything about your sickness was very unusual, from the short incubation period to how slowly it progressed...So I was just a little curious, that's all. I'm sorry, I hope I didn't upset you."

"...No, it's okay. I suppose keeping secrets isn't the best idea."

"Reimi?"

"Edge...I'm sorry...I'd hoped I could just keep all this to myself forever."

"...What are you talking about?"

"Let me guess...Does this have something to do with the mark that showed up on your neck a moment ago?"

"...So you have seen it. All right. I guess I'll explain everything..."

"Scientists performed endless experiments, looking for some way-any way-to adapt us to the severe environment. One of those experiments was called "Project Hope." It was a plant to create a race of superhumans, able to thrive under the harshest conditions imaginable."

"They possessed supernormal abilities, but the experiment produced only three successes..."

"Crowe!?"

Dun dun dun! Man, Earth decides to make superhumans, and it gets an ineffectual pantywaist with the critical thinking skills of a child, and one of the most generic girls in the universe. Well, at least they still have Crowe.

"Normally, our bodies are no different from those of natural humans. But when we're faced with crises, or when we experience strong emotions...The crests on our bodies activate, and we gain access to supernomal powers. Hasn't it ever happened to you, Edge?"

"Now...that you mention it..."

"My capacity for adaptation is especially strong. Whatever environment or disease I come in contact with, my body adjusts to it on its own. The reason my incubation period was so fast, and the progress of the disease was so slow, is because my body was attempting to adapt...And the reason the remedy cured me so quickly is because those powers of adaptation stimulated the healing process."

*Gasp of realization*

"Even if the entire world fell to an incurable pandemic...I alone would survive. That's what it means to be one of the Seeds of Hope. We aren't normal human beings..."

"When the Cardianon said "direct descendants of the Muah"...That's what he was talking about?"

"...Yes."

"I'm sorry, but...I'm afraid I have no idea what you all are talking about. But I can tell that it probably wasn't something I should have brought up lightly. I'm terribly sorry..."

"Not at all. It was kind of relieving, actually."

"...I don't really get it either, 'kay? But Reirei...you're still Reirei, right? You're still the Reirei we've been with all along, right?"

"Edge, Reimi...You're both my friends, and that's all that matters. From the moment you saved me, to the very end!"

"Merry..."

"I have nothing particular to say, either."

"Why, you almost seem bashful, Bacchus."

Sarah, Lymle and Meracle all nod at each other.

"Good night, 'kay?"

*Ineffectual pantywaist stammering*

They leave, and we cut.

"...No, that's not it. It's just...Well...it's a bit of a shock. "Seeds of Hope," huh?"

"That's what they called us. They were counting on us to bring hope and happiness to mankind, but...I hate it. I hate what it's given me."

"Reimi..."

Now Playing - Tears in the Sun Make a Rainbow

"But...we were contaminated. All of us. Irradiated so badly we had no hope...My friends all died in terrible pain from the contamination. But...this power of mine...it just refused to let me die."

"...Reimi, stop."

""Why the hell did you survive?"..."You should have died like them, screaming in pain.""

"That's enough..."

"But then...Mom and Dad told me the truth. They told me, "It's okay, you're going to bring happiness to us all"...But how? Who could I possibly make happy? Someone like me...someone who can live without a care in the world..."

"Edge..."

"Everyone suffering from stone sickness here will get the medicine they need-because of what you've done."

"Don't worry...Take all the time you need. Sooner or later...the old Edge will come back..."

*Ineffectual pantywaist gasp*

The gently caress he didn't!

This is what I meant with the game kissing Edge's rear end. He didn't do anything wrong on alt Earth, he didn't do anything wrong letting Black Eagle get away, he NEVER did ANYTHING wrong. Saint Maverick can do nothing wrong!

Honestly, the music comes to such a weird, dramatic trill during this scene that I have become convinced that the true meaning of this scene is that Reimi has become some kind of brainwashed cultist in the Church of Saint Maverick.

Confessing the ultimate truth of the Church of Maverick has tuckered Reimi out, so Edge lays her down and lets her get some sleep.

He then walks out of the room.

And that's where I shall leave off for now.

Join me next time, where another female character is damselized.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

...and here I thought the Black Eagle would lead to like, a big deep plot about plotters against the throne and maybe a conspiracy, that needed to be battled without Reimi, maybe even with a ticking Reimi Become Stone clock or something for urgency.

But no instead he just... went to hang out in the arena rather than loving legging it for the hills.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TBF, if your society included a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card that you could use for any crime, you'd be a fool not to use it. Maybe lay low for a little while first, though?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
In a better game, that the protagonist and girl.jpg (and I really do object to that, IU's girl.jpg at least made it clear that if she had half a chance, she would drag the protagonist to bed for as long as she could. She had character!) were 'failed' Post-Humans, it would contextualize the actions of Admiral rear end in a top hat as well as the entire mission as as case of 'is it really Humanity out here, or are we just tools like our ship?'

Sadly, we're in this game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How did Edge not know of this? The EDF spent so much on these kids and they let them fly into unknown space for colonizing planets. Why couldn't they get more orphans to do tests on? They are the good guys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Man that is a really good idea for a premise. You have the initial run of post human washouts essentially and you send them out to establish the colonies and lay down the groundwork so they can be swept aside by the more successful upgrades that come in the second wave of interstellar migrants. The chain of command treats you as disposable because you are, and you have to make a choice between establishing a foothold for society to come or finding a place of your own. The final boss is what humanity considers its own next evolution marching up to replace you.

That idea reminds me of the TTRPG Fragged Empire. It's a very post-apocalyptic interstellar story where everyone pretty much looks like an alien of some variety because everyone is descended from some variety of tailor-made post-human (except for the Corporates, who were explicitly failures that got rejected and then founded the church of capitalism to give themselves purpose) while Actual humans have been extinct for thousands of years by the time of the game.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'd make fun of it, but honestly "is secretly a genetically-engineered superhuman orphan" barely tips the Edge Maverick scale at this point.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also.... you didn't cut anything out right? You went straight from "you better hurry and register for The Tournament Arc" and, there was just the one fight? Not even a warmup fight?

The Game Can't Even loving Do a Tournament Arc right!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

berryjon posted:

'failed' Post-Humans,

marshmallow creep posted:

post human washouts

Nooo, you guys don't get it, Edge is a hero! He never did anything wrong! He can't be a failure!

Scalding Coffee posted:

How did Edge not know of this? The EDF spent so much on these kids and they let them fly into unknown space for colonizing planets. Why couldn't they get more orphans to do tests on? They are the good guys.

Well Reimi said they were "born" like this, so presumably they were all, I dunno, injected with Muah cells as fetuses? And the only times his super Muah glyph activated was when nobody was around to see.