Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Legit lol.

Also this is very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I appreciate any athlete telling Skip Bayless to shut the gently caress up

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Guess they didn't need to know if it's Chicago or Miami afterall! If it's Miami thats going to be 4 EST games 3-4 at the same time, but it looks like they're spacing them out pretty reasonably.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

NBA: Where Happens

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Athanatos posted:

NBA: Where Happens

lmao I missed the goatee in there

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
is there any reason to think chris finch is a good coach after an absolute abomination of a high stakes game last night?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I find it hard to use last night as an indication of his worth as a coach. His guys got tired because they were missing 2 starters and Anthony edwards had a really bad game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ammanas posted:

is there any reason to think chris finch is a good coach after an absolute abomination of a high stakes game last night?

There's something going on with the team in the 4th quarters, if players are abandoning the play-calling, if they aren't able to move to plan B when their top guys get covered up, I dunno. It's fair to push Finch on that, as whether its bad play calling or bad buy in that falls to him.

But the Wolves also went to OT in a game they were a 8.5 point underdog. If they lost 105-93 that would be an objectively worse showing that no one would care about because it was expected. The team looked great for 3 quarters! And I expect a team with Lebron and AD to tighten down in crunch, especially when the whistles get looser. But Finch didn't make Ant go 3-17 or Anderson go 5-14.

I'd also note their defense was really good throughout the entire game. I don't think anyone expected them to hold LA to under 100 points through 4 quarters.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 12, 2023

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NBA first round: MVP vs Dinshittie Island

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
The Lakers should have annihilated Minny by all rights and the visitors even were able to hang on with one finger through 4Q into OT while trying to hide 5 foul KAT.

Some of the calls were inexplicable in that game too but as they often are lately, they were inexplicable favoring both teams seemingly depending on momentum. There was a travel call on AD, in the act of maybe sliding his pivot foot an inch in the third quarter, that I will be puzzling over for weeks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spacejung posted:

The Lakers should have annihilated Minny by all rights and the visitors even were able to hang on with one finger through 4Q into OT while trying to hide 5 foul KAT.

Some of the calls were inexplicable in that game too but as they often are lately, they were inexplicable favoring both teams seemingly depending on momentum. There was a travel call on AD, in the act of maybe sliding his pivot foot an inch in the third quarter, that I will be puzzling over for weeks.

When AD was at the foul line? He was lifting his pivot foot. It isn't always called but his was a pretty bad example of it.

I will say that the officiating changed in the 4th to call a lot more contact. However, I don't think it was explicitly just for the Lakers, the Wolves didn't take advantage nearly as much as the Lakers did and the Wolves better defenders were pretty tired by that point anyway so they were more likely to commit the fouls. So I think that helped the Lakers but it didn't have to help them nearly as much as it needed to. It swung the game because the Wolves let it swing the game.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I think that got called because he did it twice. He got the ball, shuffled back a bit, and then after a few seconds shuffled back again. At some point as a ref you’ve gotta call it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The 'wolves gameplan was very solid. They also were down three defenders. You could argue based on past performance of AD vs Gobert it might have been a good thing for them since AD loves that matchup, but McDaniels and Naz not being there certainly didn't help.

The Lakers defense is underrated, possibly because it's usually pretty awful 1 to 3.5 quarters every game. But part of the reason the Lakers have played so many close games despite so many double digit deficits over the course of the season is they have like 5-10 minutes of great D in them every night.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Wolves had a good game plan other than fourth quarter offense. Someone said they went away from KAT because of doubles and that’s not true; as annoying as the Inside guys’ basketball analysis of “he should have BEEN THE GUY” is annoying, they were absolutely right to show clips of KAT being covered by Shröeder or another guard on a switch and not fighting for position to get the ball. If Embiid got that switch he’d be screaming for the ball the entire possession.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

AD didn’t shuffle his pivot foot an inch his whole body ended up moving back a foot or two after repeated dance steps.
It’s only ticky tack because he didn’t end up doing anything with that shifting but it’s a blatant travel

https://twitter.com/KyleAMadson/status/1646024909636907008

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hilarious

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

There's something going on with the team in the 4th quarters, if players are abandoning the play-calling, if they aren't able to move to plan B when their top guys get covered up, I dunno. It's fair to push Finch on that, as whether its bad play calling or bad buy in that falls to him.

But the Wolves also went to OT in a game they were a 8.5 point underdog. If they lost 105-93 that would be an objectively worse showing that no one would care about because it was expected. The team looked great for 3 quarters! And I expect a team with Lebron and AD to tighten down in crunch, especially when the whistles get looser. But Finch didn't make Ant go 3-17 or Anderson go 5-14.

I'd also note their defense was really good throughout the entire game. I don't think anyone expected them to hold LA to under 100 points through 4 quarters.

Similar to how when you live bet on games from a sportbook they update the lines to reflect the reality of the game, I think it's fair to also adjust expectations based on the same information. Knowing they were big underdogs going into the game does not make me feel better about them absolutely blowing the game in the fourth quarter last night. Similarly, while KAT's full game line is good, that also doesn't change me feeling bad about him doing nothing in the fourth quarter and OT.

Ant was just awful the entire game though and I'm not sure how much leeway his probable injury gives him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm taking partial (re: moral, unofficial, not recognized, delusional) credit on my prediction that he'd have more threes than LeBron, because, hey, if they both hit their averages, I'd have been right. Sometimes you just have a bad streak. >Shrug<

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

WhyteRyce posted:

AD didn’t shuffle his pivot foot an inch his whole body ended up moving back a foot or two after repeated dance steps.
It’s only ticky tack because he didn’t end up doing anything with that shifting but it’s a blatant travel

https://twitter.com/KyleAMadson/status/1646024909636907008

lol it didnt look this bad live, thats really egregious

dude lifts his pivot foot like 3 times

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Well fine but it didn't look like he moved his foot from my seat in the 300 section :shrug:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Wolves had a good game plan other than fourth quarter offense. Someone said they went away from KAT because of doubles and that’s not true; as annoying as the Inside guys’ basketball analysis of “he should have BEEN THE GUY” is annoying, they were absolutely right to show clips of KAT being covered by Shröeder or another guard on a switch and not fighting for position to get the ball. If Embiid got that switch he’d be screaming for the ball the entire possession.

It's not like the Lakers were guarding KAT in the post with Schröder, they were switching after the action started which is very hard to react to because you're basically asking the ball handler to get a pass past two long defenders, one of whom has the 10th most steals in NBA history to the big, problem number 1. Problem 2 is the guards all had their body on Towns. In general historically the NBA has been very hesitant to blow the whistle when it comes to wrestling for position (in this very game the refs were ignoring this sort of contact completely and could have sent Towns home basically at any time in the 4th because he was still fighting AD on his positioning) except if the taller man pushes the smaller man down (or the smaller man flops), which really limits the dude's ability to just get to the basket to counter this.

I mean AD had the same struggles getting the ball most of the game as Towns did late, the 'wolves just had a better plan to get him the ball in the first half. And Embiid throughout his career has historically had trouble finishing games for the same reason. He's stronger than either AD or Towns, his team commits to traditional post play more than either of those teams and he gets a much better whistle but there still are a lot of fourth quarter moments where Emiid is huffing and puffing after fighting all night and the Sixers end up in an unexpected fight.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dinshittie island

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Early in the game KAT was mostly operating out of the perimeter. He'd get the ball and work his way into position. Generally that's how he likes to play. I mean, obviously I'd have liked him to get position low but like you said he was getting bodied pretty strongly (Lakers are a big, long team). And the answer to "stagnant offense" usually isn't "try to post up more" but yeah that would be better than whatever they were doing.

And also to your point, Lakers were playing good REALLY good defense in the 4th on.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Last time I went to Dinshittie Island someone called me a bitch repeatedly.

It was great!

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Lockback posted:

Early in the game KAT was mostly operating out of the perimeter. He'd get the ball and work his way into position. Generally that's how he likes to play. I mean, obviously I'd have liked him to get position low but like you said he was getting bodied pretty strongly (Lakers are a big, long team). And the answer to "stagnant offense" usually isn't "try to post up more" but yeah that would be better than whatever they were doing.

And also to your point, Lakers were playing good REALLY good defense in the 4th on.

The Lakers put Rui on him on the perimeter and his strength made it hard for KAT to get in position to receive the ball cleanly. It was a good adjustment.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Am I judging a bit too hard, but couldn’t AD’s foul on Conley have been called a flagrant? Conley doesn’t jump very high because he has to get the shot off, but as I saw it, the foul was called because AD landed underneath him primarily. He doesn’t really undercut him too badly but he’s definitely in Conley’s landing area. If that were the case, would it be 3 FTs for the shot, 1 for the flagrant, and the ball? Or just 3 and then the ball? Not like there was any time to get a shot off, I realize that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Yeah posting up is usually a pretty bad solution to this too. I only point out Sixers have good the structure to do it in that they got a lot of good entry pass makers and no one is going to sag off of James Harden or at least they shouldn't.

The Maestro posted:

Am I judging a bit too hard, but couldn’t AD’s foul on Conley have been called a flagrant? Conley doesn’t jump very high because he has to get the shot off, but as I saw it, the foul was called because AD landed underneath him primarily. He doesn’t really undercut him too badly but he’s definitely in Conley’s landing area. If that were the case, would it be 3 FTs for the shot, 1 for the flagrant, and the ball? Or just 3 and then the ball? Not like there was any time to get a shot off, I realize that.

It would be 3 and the ball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Maestro posted:

They kinda landed together. I think it was a legit foul but it wasn't a true undercut.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
When's the lottery?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
DeMar Daughter loving owns

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mastershakeman posted:

I kind of want to see Jimmy Butler vs the bulls because I think he'd hang 70 on them

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If patbev wins 2 playin games and the Wolves lose 2 I'm not going to be very happy.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I love basketball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The play-in is amazing even if it won't really change anything,

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
seems like there's no good vibes with the raptors at all. might need a complete top to bottom shake up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sreekyshooter/status/1646324198329950209

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

The play-in is amazing even if it won't really change anything,

Petition to rename it the Pat Bev Tournament

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Petition to rename it the Pat Bev Tournament

Diar DeRozan Tournament

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Alain_Patron/status/1646329771947638785