Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Even with everything here being 11s and up its difficult to get people to come to the frozen north of Wisconsin. Fincantieri and Lockheed probably have it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Devor posted:

My understanding of the non-Schedule A disability question is for monitoring and reporting purposes. They have to ask to be able to answer the question, "Are our hiring managers refusing to hire disabled people during the interview?".

The Schedule A hiring is how it can actually benefit you as a disabled person.

Disability systems are not established for the purpose of encouraging discrimination, and one of the important oversight functions is making sure they don't become that. My agency has a ton of deaf employees, way beyond what I saw in the private sector.

So I wanted to thank everybody, more than I can say, for all the information they gave about Schedule A, especially this post right here. I'm not going to get too into it, but I was basically raised to believe that it would be better if nobody knew I was on the Autism spectrum and that people would find a way to treat me badly if they knew. (And yes, as it applied to Federal hiring too!) I actually never even self-identified on the SF-256 because I genuinely believed it would hurt my career. It helps so much to hear people who are in the same boat tell me otherwise. I'm going to take the plunge and start looking more into this!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PneumonicBook posted:

Even with everything here being 11s and up its difficult to get people to come to the frozen north of Wisconsin. Fincantieri and Lockheed probably have it worse.
Yeah this is why my old office in Vermont was so insular until, as the lore goes, the 2008 recession; the applicant pool was overwhelmingly local until people actually started looking far afield for jobs again, but it will probably be another like 15 years before half the GS-13s there did not go straight into federal service from high school

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Star Man posted:

How many GS 13 and 14 jobs exist only because no one would do that work for less money?

Exempt jobs, as opposed to competitive service, are overrepresented in 13 and 14, likely for this reason. I'm a lawyer, and the lowest band I've ever seen for a JD-required position is 11, and that's for a straight out of law school, not barred yet clerk. Most non-managerial legal jobs are 13-15. E.g. I left a position as JSP 14-1 once and got offered, though didn't take, a posting at GS 13-4 while there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Excepted, not exempt.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
We have a bit of a glut, where regular grunts are 5-12, supervisors are 13s, their bosses are 14s, and a whole crapload of 15 managers and hangers on. Then my office director and deputy are SES.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Midjack posted:

Excepted, not exempt.
Speaking of, what is the actual difference?

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Where I'm at, 13s are mostly supervisors now, there are a few specialty non-supervisory roles, but those are probably getting phased out as people retire. The two coworkers who do the same tasks I do are 13s who were brought in to replace three 12s who weren't doing the work, now I'm supposed to max out as a 12, unless I appeal at some point. Don't really know what that process will look like.

I'm also adding on some work thanks to all of the extra funds we're getting where management is explicitly trying to find someone senior (that is, a 13) to transfer in and handle it. We'll see if that happens, there just aren't a lot of them left.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of, what is the actual difference?

Exempt and nonexempt refer to FLSA. Non exempt means you get overtime, paid for training and travel, and overall get fair compensation for the time you do work and work related stuff. Exempt, which should really be SES only but is applied to loving everyone, means you get ripped off. This isn't limited to fedgov, it's an America problem.

Competitive service is the majority of fedgov positions where they have to follow the whole rulebook to hire you. Excepted service get to do things differently in hiring because they're looking for specific qualifications.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I was asking about excepted and competitive. Where does DHA fit in there?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It varies by position. You might have competitive and excepted service people working together in different roles in different agencies. As mentioned, attorneys are always excepted service, but their legal assistants are going to be competitive service.

As far as I can ascertain, it's better in most ways to be competitive service. The advantage of excepted is that they can hire you without as much rigamarole. Not sure if it has any other inherent advantages.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any fully Work From Home IT jobs these days? I'm a disabled vet with 20 years as a sysadmin. I keep searching the usual job sites, but when I see a govt job listed as Remote on Indeed or whatever, I'll go to the govt site and it'll say 9-5 in a cubicle in Bumfuck Nowhere. I get there's probably no remote jobs that require a clearance, but how hard could it be to keep some server running while I'm in my underwear, that's what I've been doing the last 4 years.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
? There are 59 open postings for remote 2210s.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zero VGS posted:

Are there any fully Work From Home IT jobs these days? I'm a disabled vet with 20 years as a sysadmin. I keep searching the usual job sites, but when I see a govt job listed as Remote on Indeed or whatever, I'll go to the govt site and it'll say 9-5 in a cubicle in Bumfuck Nowhere. I get there's probably no remote jobs that require a clearance, but how hard could it be to keep some server running while I'm in my underwear, that's what I've been doing the last 4 years.

At SSA we aren't technically fully remote, but half our IT staff don't even know where their cubes are, it's been so long since they've been in the building.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

At SSA we aren't technically fully remote, but half our IT staff don't even know where their cubes are, it's been so long since they've been in the building.

Must be nice to still have a cube, anyone in my office who didn't go back to full time in the office got switched to hoteling.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sullat posted:

Must be nice to still have a cube, anyone in my office who didn't go back to full time in the office got switched to hoteling.

That's coming. They just haven't had a reason to, since why bother if nobody is coming in anyway?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I don't even have an assigned desk. My branch just has a couple clusters of cubes and a conference room that gets used every couple weeks when a bunch of our tech 14s pile all their meetings in to one day.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

We've done so much hiring at the EPA that I'm not sure we will have space for everyone in a few months. If we brought back the fully remote people, we'd have no place to put them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zero VGS posted:

My whole IT division is fully remote. We're mostly the rule, and not the exception at my agency.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Evil SpongeBob posted:

? There are 59 open postings for remote 2210s.

Oh I figured it out. I'm new to USAJOBS and it specifically told me to type "REMOTE" in the search bar. But it was returning only jobs from "Remote, Oregon". You have to use the drop-down and find "show remote only"

Is there a way to look up those job codes like 2210? Might be some other things I'm qualified for but not sure how to go about it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Oh I figured it out. I'm new to USAJOBS and it specifically told me to type "REMOTE" in the search bar. But it was returning only jobs from "Remote, Oregon". You have to use the drop-down and find "show remote only"

Is there a way to look up those job codes like 2210? Might be some other things I'm qualified for but not sure how to go about it.

For the other search field, where you can put in key words, just type 2210, and it should give you a drop down option to select that "job series"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have to work in-office all week, because I moved into a new place and need a technician from Xfinity to activate my service.

It's only Tuesday and I am completely over working from home. I don't have to use my power, my air conditioning, my heating, or my space. Five whole miles between home and work.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

I have to work in-office all week, because I moved into a new place and need a technician from Xfinity to activate my service.

It's only Tuesday and I am completely over working from home. I don't have to use my power, my air conditioning, my heating, or my space. Five whole miles between home and work.
You do you. make sure to get in the messiest bathroom time while you're there to maximize the payoff

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The overwhelming theme of the last two weeks is "find the massive, unpunished-for mistake by one of us that screwed a claimant and will take you four hours to fix."

Literally a half-dozen since last Monday. All of them uniquely terrible mistakes and/or complete gently caress-its.

I'm ready to be That Guy. The emails you several times a week with examples of how you did this case here wrong and CC's your boss Guy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I just checked my email to see a tentative offer for a 7/9 position with the Natural Resources Conservation Service with relocation assistance that I didn’t even interview for. The only problem is that it’s in Buttfuck, North Dakota, population 900. Am I crazy for turning this down? I only have until tomorrow to decide. I’m desperate to get out of the GS 5 hell that I’m currently in, but I don’t know if I’m that desperate. I’m fine moving to a less than great place, but imagining myself living in this place for one to two years fills me with dread. I have a standing offer in my current city for a direct hire GS 6/7, which I’m tempted to take even though it’s a very boring job, and just see what else I can get in the meantime.

I just don’t want to kick myself down the line for turning this down, since I could probably do it for a year and then have a much better choice of locations. Then again, it seems like they’re always trying to get people for these middle of nowhere positions, so I suppose if nothing pans out for me I could probably get something the next time around.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If you don't want to live there even for a year, don't take the job. Something else will pop that doesn't involve a year+ of misery.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Just scheduled my interview for a direct hire position next week. Is it at all appropriate for me to ask them questions back like what the timeline is like for the decision and hiring process?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Imo the decision to take a job somewhere poo poo depends on what kind of job you're trying to get into. I got lucky in wildlife but I was absolutely prepared to spend a year or so in BFE Nevada to break into a permanent gig. If you're field is super competitive it might be worth it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Just scheduled my interview for a direct hire position next week. Is it at all appropriate for me to ask them questions back like what the timeline is like for the decision and hiring process?

I've asked this for every .gov job I've ever interviewed for, I've got several of them, so take that anecdote how you will.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

wizardofloneliness posted:

So I just checked my email to see a tentative offer for a 7/9 position with the Natural Resources Conservation Service with relocation assistance that I didn’t even interview for. The only problem is that it’s in Buttfuck, North Dakota, population 900. Am I crazy for turning this down? I only have until tomorrow to decide. I’m desperate to get out of the GS 5 hell that I’m currently in, but I don’t know if I’m that desperate. I’m fine moving to a less than great place, but imagining myself living in this place for one to two years fills me with dread. I have a standing offer in my current city for a direct hire GS 6/7, which I’m tempted to take even though it’s a very boring job, and just see what else I can get in the meantime.

I just don’t want to kick myself down the line for turning this down, since I could probably do it for a year and then have a much better choice of locations. Then again, it seems like they’re always trying to get people for these middle of nowhere positions, so I suppose if nothing pans out for me I could probably get something the next time around.

Where in bum gently caress North Dakota is this and where do you live now? I've lived all over that state if you have questions about what is like

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I keep thinking of this thread every time I see "20,000 GODDAMN IRS AGENTS HOLY poo poo"

Everyone sad that they are not at least a GS-7 I imagine if you get any plausible experience with IRS-adjacent things ready to advertise you are going to be in a good position going forward

Also I know ultimately only your own feelings on the issue matter, but I would live anywhere for a year to bump up to the next higher GS. That is how I have already ping-ponged around the country on my journey to finally being in a position with GS-12 promotion potential!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So I'm potentially up for a 90 day GS-11 detail. My boss is supportive but their boss may not be. I've heard somewhere that no supervisor or manager can deny a temporary promotion. Might this be agency specific or is this a govt wide thing? If it's govt wide, any idea where I might be able to find the rule? I looked on OPM and couldn't find anything.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I did not know you could get a temporary promotion through a detail, that is interesting in and of itself.

That said, going on a detail that my supervisor supported and her supervisor did not is how I got blacklisted at my job and took 7 years to get past GS-9, so I would honestly seriously consider not doing this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sparkmaster posted:

So I'm potentially up for a 90 day GS-11 detail. My boss is supportive but their boss may not be. I've heard somewhere that no supervisor or manager can deny a temporary promotion. Might this be agency specific or is this a govt wide thing? If it's govt wide, any idea where I might be able to find the rule? I looked on OPM and couldn't find anything.

If your management won't support your advancement, gently caress 'em. Go find another, better manager at another, better job.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Temp promotions are limited to 120 days.

As far as approval, if you're selected for that detail, you get paid for it. I would assume that both your supervisor and the details supervisor would both have to agree on it for you to be selected. But once selected, they must pay you.

Edit:. Seconding that. ^^

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Toshimo posted:

If your management won't support your advancement, gently caress 'em. Go find another, better manager at another, better job.

I did exactly this. Kept getting stonewalled about grade increases and upward mobility. The most insulting part was them telling me "But we have all the OT you can get to make up for not getting the grade."

Put in my resume, got selected for a position that's on a 9-12 ladder with a target 13. Best part about this new agency and position is not having to deal with a constant worry about meeting that production quota. That and people are legitimately happy about their work and not just "Going through the motions."

My mental health has improved by a large margin as well. I no longer have that Sunday dread anxiety.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nice!

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Just heard a rumor from my AFGE Local’s president that Biden will issue an EO tomorrow limiting telework to 5 days per pay period. Well, poo poo.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not think the president is actually in control of that surely? Why would he not have dealt with it the other way when he was in a fight over it last year? Question mark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Biden signed a congressional resolution on April 10 ending the national emergency due to the COVID pandemic. As a result of that, the special circumstances that permitted that level of telework no longer exist.