Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZeeBoi posted:

Halo Infailinte, Redfail, and soon Starfailed.

Oh cool so nom epique is your alt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Maybe weve made all the good games were ever gonna make.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I still think Redfall will be good but I'm definitely just gonna wait for the 60 fps update

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ms is shadow dropping all timers and putting dogs and lemons on year long hype cycle

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Ms is shadow dropping all timers and putting dogs and lemons on year long hype cycle

Lol it’s true. Imma play Starfield but I have low expectations. Can’t find it in myself to give a gently caress about Redfall tbh.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

My Series X controller has developed some pretty awful vertical stick drift on the right stick. Tried replacing the potentiometer which solved it for about a week and its slowly gotten worse and is almost as bad as it was before.

Pretty disappointing as its not even 2 years old and the PS4 controller that came with my console at the end of 2015 and saw much heavier use through its lifespan is trucking on good as new, along with an Xbox One controller I got in 2019.

Did you replace both potentiometers on the right stick? When I fixed two PS4 controllers I made sure to change both and they've been fine. The other solution is to replace the entire stick module but that requires welding.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should steal the 8bitdo design that doesnt drift next revision

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

drat, that sucks console folks. Hopefully I can just brute force this into working well on my PC since it's probably going to be a mess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grave Centipede posted:

Remember that warhammer game? That's still not out on xbox. Made a right mess of that.

Don't remind me, I was so excited for that game. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Maybe weve made all the good games were ever gonna make.

It sure loving feels like it sometimes. 2022 was too banger of a year I guess, so 2023 is making up for it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

They should steal the 8bitdo design that doesnt drift next revision

I'm tempted to get the 8bitdo Ultimate with the Xbox layout for my PC just for the hall effect sticks. That poo poo should be standard for the official Sony/Microsoft controllers already.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is coming to game pass May 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oETo51p7qIs

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guillermus posted:

Did you replace both potentiometers on the right stick? When I fixed two PS4 controllers I made sure to change both and they've been fine. The other solution is to replace the entire stick module but that requires welding.

No I only changed the vertical one as the drift is literally just straight up - you think it might be worth changing out the horizontal one as well?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I'm tempted to get the 8bitdo Ultimate with the Xbox layout for my PC just for the hall effect sticks. That poo poo should be standard for the official Sony/Microsoft controllers already.

I have the 2.4ghz
Skip the blue tooth one it can get interference. 2.4ghz is super sweet. Very enjoyable to play on

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Lord Ludikrous posted:

No I only changed the vertical one as the drift is literally just straight up - you think it might be worth changing out the horizontal one as well?

I have a core controller with the exact same drift: right stick, up. (the other one has a hypersensitive A button) Wonder if it'd be worth it to open them up or just buy new ones on sale

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Phoix posted:

If they can't get the version running on standardized hardware to run at 60fps I can't imagine how hosed up the PC version is going to be

Yeah, this. I was one of the few actually looking forward to this game, and on PC, but it's gonna run like poo poo so... oh well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got a new win11key with a free month of gp so i'll check it out and just play hifi when it is unplayable

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I mean, I always changed both just to make sure and not open the gamepad a second time too soon

Real hurthling! posted:

I have the 2.4ghz
Skip the blue tooth one it can get interference. 2.4ghz is super sweet. Very enjoyable to play on

Yeah, the one with the 2.4Ghz dock looks great. Debating between black and white.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Do the wireless 8bitdo Ultimates work on consoles with the dongles or just on PCs?

edit: no, doesn't look like they do

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 12, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Why the hell does stick drift seem to be so much more of a thing within the last bunch of years? Serious question. I’ve never personally dealt with persistent stick drift, though I have had a DS4 act kinda weird very temporarily.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BurningBeard posted:

Why the hell does stick drift seem to be so much more of a thing within the last bunch of years? Serious question. I’ve never personally dealt with persistent stick drift, though I have had a DS4 act kinda weird very temporarily.

Too many games requiring repeated presses or holding of L3/R3, aka The Worst Buttons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All controllers use the same cheap potentiometer and the flaw is inherent in its design. Not a big deal with switch nowadays with Hall effect magnet replacements but PS5 and XS controllers have their sticks soldered in which is a big barrier for many

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Like a single company cornered the analog stick market too and made them suck rear end

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I fuckin knew capitalism was to blame somehow.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its still funny the switch stick designer thought magnetic paint was sufficient vs a real magnet on sticks so shallow that the magnetic paint would be rubbing on something when the stick is pressed, sending magnetic paint flecks all over inside.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh cool so nom epique is your alt?

Also the director of Sony’s media relations team

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Looks cool. I'll give it a shot

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Still going through Atomic Heart. After tuning out the protagonist, the game becomes a fair bit more tolerable. Story is alright. I like the guns and have been enjoying the puzzle hunting for weapon upgrades; a kitted out dominator is a lot of fun to use. Boss fights are decent and challenging enough, also not too bullet spongy (especially with a kitted out dominator), but a maxed polymer shield skill tree has basically made me invincible lol.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Ghostwire is so loving weird

I'm kind of loving it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s weird as far as the designs and when the scenery gets all fucky (definitely the best/most effective parts). Gameplay-wise it’s very very generic map game. I’m playing through it right now and I’ll finish it but that’s probably more to do with anhedonia than anything else.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Toaster Beef posted:

Ghostwire is so loving weird

I'm kind of loving it?

I'm only a little way into it but so far it loving owns. Not sure where the combat goes once it gets more advanced but the atmosphere is great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wasn't keen on Redfall before but congrats on me not even fiddling with it until you patch in performance mode.

Redfail many such are saying

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

They really shouldn’t launch it without that 60fps mode. It’s gone from ‘I’ll check it out at launch’ to ‘waiting for a patch’ which just means I’ll forget about it entirely and just play zelda or one of the other hundreds of games that come out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This looks really cool! I dont think I have heard of this game before now.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

They really shouldn’t launch it without that 60fps mode. It’s gone from ‘I’ll check it out at launch’ to ‘waiting for a patch’ which just means I’ll forget about it entirely and just play zelda or one of the other hundreds of games that come out.

Yeah, Redfall is dead on arrival unfortunately.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Same

Dead game

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'll give it a try but I ain't paying for it lol

What confuses me is that personally if they only had time to make either a 30FPS pretty mode or a 60FPS still pretty mode why not always go with the 60FPS one that is basically as nice?

Whenever I see games that are have switchable modes it seems no one ever uses the "quality" mode besides screenshots.

I have a Series S but every game effected seems just as hosed on the Series X so I don't think that's the problem unlike that one dev said.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I assume its because fanboys all do screenshot comparisons and hoot and holler if a first party game isn't true 4k.

That said as a first party microsoft studio you'd think theyd have access to the metrics of if people prefer performance or graphics so its possible we're in a bubble

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Wouldn't be surprised if most people just leave it on whatever it defaults to.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Yeah, I can say that the vast majority of people that play video games don't even go in the options menu, let alone know what the difference between performance and quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's like PC games where a regular rear end computer can run it on normal-high but you need to invest $5k at least to run everything on max. And no one but you can even really tell the difference. They just ask if the game is fun. And you say no, it's Cyberpunk at release.