Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I like PBS because I like Nova! And This Old House. NPR is boring though, Elon should def keep them off Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Three Olives posted:

The warranty dude that came to my house to tell me I was using too much soap in my Fisher & Paykel dishwasher was driving a new company Mercedes (Not a Sprinter), so I dunno man.

As a bit: this is funny, keep on keeping on man
As sincerity: get some help man, what the gently caress?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

spaceblancmange posted:

the perfectly normal website is being n̴̢̛̪̬͓͈͐̆́͌́͗͂̿͜ơ̴̭̋̾̏̒͌͐̒́̕͝r̷̟̥͉̞̮̻̖̬̺͖̬̃̐̐ͅͅͅm̴̡͔̳̝̫͔͖̗͚̼̯̍̒̏͜ả̵̡̢̡͉̗̩͙̲̙̘̆̃̉͆̕l̵̨͉̖̝͇̘̬̠̮͉͎͕͍̬̓̑̿̑̏͊̆̉̅̚ ̵̡̜͕̫̣̻͎̖̟̘̲̯͔̞͔̎̐̇̚a̵̧̛̳̠̤̣̲̅͗̉̏̓̓̚͝g̴̡̛̱̠͍̞̦̰͕̻̜̹͇͉̞̫̒̓̽̓̌͂͌͌͗́͐̽̍͗a̵̛̛̘̮̝̰̼͎̐͐̑́̈́͂͌͛͒̕į̴̯͍̤͚̤̭͚̝̮͙̭̝̟̭̗̼̏̊̑̈́̄̀̒́̅̆̉̕͝͠ń̸̯͈͉͓̟̟̬͎̄̋̃͑̽ͅ

Lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

NPR has a few growing affiliate stations that aggressively killed or took over independent stations, killed good programming, fired people, and made a shitload of money for it. KUOW is my sworn enemy. NPR in general is liberal media and is aligned with the state. using funding a proxy for being a mouthpiece is stupid and the whole thing really doesn't have a point beyond spectacle. but if you consider yourself left of the democratic party NPR is not your friend, even though they do have some listenable shows.

A lot of NPR's affiliate stations murdered the gently caress out of leftist radio programs whose stations they took over. gently caress 'em. chinese journalists have managed to wear the thorny STATE AFFILIATED MEDIA crown for years. NPR lost their poo poo immediately. And they lost their poo poo about it because they know they're the ones who are supposed to get to decide who biased media is.

broadcast media in the US is fully in bed with the US government. all the independent journalists have gone crazy, thrown in with one of the flavors of liberal, or are no longer allowed on broadcast media. elon musk is also deep in bed with the US government and whatever the gently caress this sideshow is for, who knows. there's kind of a kayfabe here between the american right and slightly further right and their various personalities and aligned media that people repeatedly fall for even when it gets repeatedly explained to them, tenderjerk, god dammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1tfkESPVY

anyway watch this video if you haven't seen it before. a nice cia agent tells the truth for some reason. this is still how things work, except now there are only a handful of media blocs and there's no real opposition who would consider not doing what a nice state official asked them to do.

if you are someone who thinks the us government is bad, the cia is bad, etc but also think that NPR being bullied by elon musk is a problem, you need to get your poo poo together. at least it would be nice if some of you did. also if anyone thinks that the us government is ftw you should feel free to say it here in the elon musk free speech thread. dissenting voices are important and i think a few people may be holding back for fear of getting dogpiled.

i read this post, and you know what, i think they’re onto something

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

nikosoft posted:

I like PBS because I like Nova! And This Old House. NPR is boring though, Elon should def keep them off Twitter.

David Koch funds nova
we are forever stuck in a capitalist hellhole

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cuttlefush posted:

NPR has a few growing affiliate stations that aggressively killed or took over independent stations, killed good programming, fired people, and made a shitload of money for it. KUOW is my sworn enemy. NPR in general is liberal media and is aligned with the state. using funding a proxy for being a mouthpiece is stupid and the whole thing really doesn't have a point beyond spectacle. but if you consider yourself left of the democratic party NPR is not your friend, even though they do have some listenable shows.

A lot of NPR's affiliate stations murdered the gently caress out of leftist radio programs whose stations they took over. gently caress 'em. chinese journalists have managed to wear the thorny STATE AFFILIATED MEDIA crown for years. NPR lost their poo poo immediately. And they lost their poo poo about it because they know they're the ones who are supposed to get to decide who biased media is.

broadcast media in the US is fully in bed with the US government. all the independent journalists have gone crazy, thrown in with one of the flavors of liberal, or are no longer allowed on broadcast media. elon musk is also deep in bed with the US government and whatever the gently caress this sideshow is for, who knows. there's kind of a kayfabe here between the american right and slightly further right and their various personalities and aligned media that people repeatedly fall for even when it gets repeatedly explained to them, tenderjerk, god dammit.

anyway watch this video if you haven't seen it before. a nice cia agent tells the truth for some reason. this is still how things work, except now there are only a handful of media blocs and there's no real opposition who would consider not doing what a nice state official asked them to do.

if you are someone who thinks the us government is bad, the cia is bad, etc but also think that NPR being bullied by elon musk is a problem, you need to get your poo poo together. at least it would be nice if some of you did. also if anyone thinks that the us government is ftw you should feel free to say it here in the elon musk free speech thread. dissenting voices are important and i think a few people may be holding back for fear of getting dogpiled.

Got any more specifics on KUOW?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elon the Magnificent!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i'm just here to laugh at elon musk, and brother, my face is stony

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

these drop in remedial cram sessions have a real donald trump saying not many people know this feel

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the government interferes with the media to control information? wow. i didn't know that, you're telling me now for the first time. what else can you say? i'm actually sad to hear that.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I feel the CSPAM topic threads are like a tour bus where people point and laugh at things because everything is loving absurd.

It is possible to both laugh at NPR, feel somewhat bad for them the poor social media intern that has to deal with them being targeted by a weirdo, and realize that as an organization they suck.

Pretending everyone needs a moral lecture every 20 pages is just a weird read of the whole situation.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

ohrwurm posted:

David Koch funds nova
we are forever stuck in a capitalist hellhole

I think all his money should be seized and used to produce countless Nova series, and also those should be the only things shown on all stations, all the time. We'd probably all be a lot happier and better off as a society of if this happened.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Three Olives is the Elon Musk of the Elon Musk thread.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it happens in all the big threads. it's definitely happened in the covid thread and the bioshpere thread multiple times. a small group gets worked up about what they think is going on in the thread, they kramer in to let everyone know they're posting wrong and lead a righteous crusade to correct thread thought, and then they get bored and dribble out over the next couple of weeks.

except for some reason one of the blow-ins became an ik this time, lol

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
break it til u make it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Im always posting wrong.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Drive-by thread IK is only here for Elon, while true Musk-heads are all about Kimbal. Sad!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnF4emrEIZQ

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
does tesla get more govt funding than npr?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Just a Moron posted:

Got any more specifics on KUOW?

i dont have a good summary article and it's kind of a mess. the past 10 years involve KUOW buying out KPLU in a fairly hosed up way and intended to turn it into a jazz station and kill a lot of its programs. There was community outrage and a fundraiser that managed to buy it from PLU. That station is now KNKX. There's prior stuff but it's way more piecemeal and old/local enough that it'd take some time to dig up.

here are a couple articles on KUOW buying KPLU

https://www.knkx.org/news/2015-11-25/kplu-listeners-express-anger-over-stations-surprise-sale-to-kuow
https://crosscut.com/2015/11/kuow-to-buy-kplu

some time later it came out that UW/KUOW and i think PLU had been planning and negotiating that buyout secretly for a while [url]https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/uw-had-fight-club-rule-of-secrecy-about-kplu-deal/[/url

I thought KUOW made some moves on KNKX at one point but i might have misremembered. since then there have been a lot of lovely move by KUOW here and there that add up to quite a bit but i dont know of a summary. examples: https://www.kuow.org/stories/kuow-announces-new-programming-changes, https://www.thestranger.com/media/2018/04/05/26005185/kuow-eliminates-seven-staff-positions

KUOW has and makes absolute fuckloads of money but has spent it on brand management and the like while eliminating a lot of its local shows and filling it with syndicated stuff from other stations. It's ostensibly a non-profit but it's just a business doing business things to the detriment of its community. If it succeeded in buying out KPLU (it's pretty incredible they managed to raise $7mil that fast. the deal was designed so that they wouldnt be able to fundraise to buy out PLU) it probably would be making bigger moves but it just cuts a few programs after year or two and continues to reduce its head count while donation revenue and $ reserves increase.

this has happened all throughout other NPR affiliates and there's been a major consolidation in general in NPR programming and number of stations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cuttlefush posted:

Buddy this post caused you to Crack the top 100 most ignored users. Congratulations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mr Hootington posted:

Buddy this post caused you to Crack the top 100 most ignored users. Congratulations.

you made me look which let me catch

you dropped down a spot too

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cuttlefush posted:

you made me look which let me catch

you dropped down a spot too

Lol congratulations 16-bb. You have begun the journey of pissing off all of yospos

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

did he sniff the chair?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

Im always posting wrong.

I have never not posted wrong.

And talking about bad posts Taibbi just posted his side of the story about him getting out of twitter but it's like 5 bucks to read and :laffo: gently caress that

trucutru has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Apr 13, 2023

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ram dass in hell posted:

Tax breaks, but yeah. SpaceX definitely does.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Please Taibbi stans. Post the article...

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Jazerus posted:

NPR can't live with the state-affiliated media tag for a day while chen weihua wears it proudly

who among us would willingly be affiliated with the us government

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Deep in a crocodile infested swamp, in a secret CSPAM Discord channel, the Legion of Glennposters meet

Lex Luthor: The Elon thread is full of cringe and fail. Something must me done!

Brainiac: [4 paragraphs of ChatGPT omitted]

You make a good point. Any other suggestions?

Solomon Grundy: Grundy smash thread with image spam!

Bizzaro: Elon musk is right!

I'm surrounded by idiots.

[6 paragraphs of ChatGPT omitted]

Brainiac, you're a genius! We will get you appointed IK of the thread, and then run the exact same gimmick we do in the Glenn thread. Elonposters will rue the day they crossed us!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

goldmine

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Davethulhu posted:

Deep in a crocodile infested swamp, in a secret CSPAM Discord channel, the Legion of Glennposters meet

Brainiac, you're a genius! We will get you appointed IK of the thread, and then run the exact same gimmick we do in the Glenn thread. Elonposters will rue the day they crossed us!

this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Davethulhu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPlK10Rcdk

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

epic joke sir!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

trucutru posted:

I have never not posted wrong.

And talking about bad posts Taibbi just posted his side of the story about him getting out of twitter but it's like 5 bucks to read and :laffo: gently caress that

an m. night shymyalan type ending would imply that there was a twist of some kind

this poo poo played out exactly as anyone who has ever known literally anything about elon thought it would

the only way anyone would be shocked at this is if they genuinely believed ELON MUSK gave a poo poo about free speech. in other words, a sub baby level idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

ram dass in hell posted:

yes. the actual funding sources and break down are a red herring. their relationship with the state is what's important. npr and elon musk and the us government are on the same side and always will be

also all of musk's business enjoy a pretty special relationship with the us government, regardless of spats with the sec and what not. spacex has successfully grafted itself onto the state. spacex rarely gets mentioned with lockmart, raytheon, northrop, but it has the same relationship to the state. except spacex is the only big non-publicly traded one.

anyway this twitter poo poo is all theater that is all pretty funny but it's not something that people should get serious about. musk owning twitter and loving around with the state's media lackeys is not something that matters unless you secretly love the us government and think you can fix it. spacex suddenly becoming a top government contractor with NRO etc contracts is pretty interesting though. musk's relationship with the us government is interesting. the other business he owns and what his goals might be for them are interesting.