Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't really read van von hunter but it's pretty cool to see how well the art has improved and evolved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Phthisis posted:

Also,

trying to copy Chako is extremely hard to me and I'm not sure why. Every attempt I've made just doesn't feel right, but I eventually just let it be and decided to not spend a ton of time on some dumb Pupkin jokes

Time to break out the watercolors?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

skeleton warrior posted:

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist, Issue #14, Part 1

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist, Issue #14, Part 2

Not gonna lie, this one really puts the indie in indie comics

Spoiled for nudity.

Lyrics from Blackbird, by the Beatles; Hemdulah is a shortened Arabic phrase for 'All praise is due to God'

The next few are spoiled for nudity.

So, uh, that was weird. And kind of self-indulgent. But I guess when you're a struggling artist trying to fully put together a comic every month sometimes you go where you need to in order to fill the page. Hothead will have more conversations with God/The Being/The Author in the future, but it won't go this nuts again.

Anyways! Next issue: DAPHNE

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
American Barbarian

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So, continuing my steak of having no willpower, I read ahead in Spacetrawler this week. My reactions, in order:

• Wow, this is way more of a long-running webcomic than I thought. How did I not come across this sooner?
• Wow, this is really, really good.
• Wow, this fell off really steeply as of the second book. it's hard to put into words, since it degraded on multiple axes simultaneously.

I'm currently drunk and making a post I considered it making at all, so I'll leave it there.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Apr 13, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ditocoaf posted:

So, continuing my steak of having no willpower, I read ahead in Spacetrawler this week. My reactions, in order:

• Wow, this is way more of a long-running webcomic than I thought. How did I not come across this sooner?
• Wow, this is really, really good.
• Wow, this fell off really steeply as of the second book. it's hard to put into words, since it degraded on multiple axes simultaneously.

I'm currently drunk and making a post I considered it making at all, so I'll leave it there.

Degraded enough to make continuing reading it disappointing? Or is it worth sticking with it, despite the later decline?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I reread the first story a while back, no problems, quite enjoyed it. I remember not finishing the second story, but I'm not sure why.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

RICE BOY

We are about 3/5 done with Rice Boy

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Degraded enough to make continuing reading it disappointing? Or is it worth sticking with it, despite the later decline?

Emzedoh posted:

I reread the first story a while back, no problems, quite enjoyed it. I remember not finishing the second story, but I'm not sure why.

The first "series" of Spacetrawler is three books plus a short bonus fourth, which ran from 2010-2013. 'Series 2' started in 2016 apparently, which is where I managed to stop reading.

By the time I reached the end of book 1, I was thinking this might be one of my favorite webcomics ever. Book 2 fell off sharply, catching up a theoretical new reader a bit too clunkily. But books 2 and 3 kept being worse in a lot of ways, and I'm pretty sure I only kept reading out of narrative momentum -- which was powerful, but felt disappointing and a little shameful, like I only kept reading because I couldn't stop in the middle of something and lose my place, even if I wasn't really enjoying it anymore. I kept thinking I'd close the tab when I reached "series 2", which has an obvious link on the website (with an otherwise inconvenient archive). And when I got there, I did.

I've been juggling a lot of thoughts and words to explain how and why, but I was planning on just waiting until the thread caught up to complain, since I felt so fond of the comic for a while. I'll at least want to wait til I'm sober tomorrow to actually attempt to explain myself, since I've been unsuccessfully revising this post too much tonight already on my bus ride home.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Apr 13, 2023

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

just came to take a peek at the thread and was sidelined by sudden feelings :unsmith:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Carpet Merchant of Konstantiniyya is loving incredible.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Gonna be busy today so today's Tall Penguin's comin' at ya early

Thanks for posting these!

By popular demand posted:

E: A coiuple quick and dirty fixes later-

You found a way to make Sonic's flesh-coloured abdomen even more unsettling, well done

Phthisis posted:

trying to copy Chako is extremely hard to me and I'm not sure why. Every attempt I've made just doesn't feel right, but I eventually just let it be and decided to not spend a ton of time on some dumb Pupkin jokes

It's just the universe's immune system kicking in to stop any more Chakin/Pupko from entering the world.

Fortis posted:

Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

You have the best thumbnails!! Like driving past the warm-lit windows of quiet houses during a rainstorm.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I liked Spacetrawler enough when I read it to buy the printed copies. "Big Book 1" appears to contain Books 1 through 4; "Big Book 2" is 5 to 8 (though it looks like 8 is another tiny bonus one). Nice detail and designs, creative creatures (even sometimes some Thorsbyian exposition), light chuckles, plot that moves along at a decent pace that actually matters within the comic. Trying to end each page with a joke or beat or whatever didn't always work. And the Australian stuff never got funny, as an Australian.

I don't actually have much memory of it now (and it would be stupid to spoil the things I do remember). Re-reading it here has been interesting. I recall liking the first story a lot. Book 5+ was a bit of a reset and underwhelming at first; it improved, but maybe still not as good as the first. And at the end of that storyline, which IIRC was a perfectly decent conclusion, even I didn't feel like reading the next one. Sorry Chris.

Also as I think I said once before, the digital comic looks nicer than the prints. But maybe these books and the bonus postcards will be worth a fortune someday!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i got super sick and totally forgot about comics yesterday

terrible

now i get to catch up!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm still really glad you're posting K6BD here. This is a comic I was 'meaning to read' for years, and 2-3 pages a day is pretty perfect.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: "Hell hath no fury like a devil scorned. Except Hell 80, there's a lad there that will rip apart anyone you send him after for half a guilder. Right nutter, he is." - Little Finger Yao, Spire Ganger

quote:

Feud

Alt: White Chain's clothes here might look familiar to you if you look back in this chapter

quote:

Proclamation of the Aeon

Alt: The First Division: Division of Self

quote:

Journey’s Beginning

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yem!!

Tumble has never kept a secret from Yem before.

Tumble learns that Yem's heads are all disposable and sometimes they have to be cut off. He has told this head the secret of the cave, but he is rescued by the fact that it coincidentally malfunctions before the central brain has synced with it.

Tumble is learning that it is difficult to be left alone.

Meanwhile, Yem is also having a conversation with Eddy.

Ok so here I made it so that Eddy is angry at Tumble for hurting his feelings, but instead I am going to say that they are both angry at Flip for hurting Yem's feelings by leaving the island. Tumble sees how he is controlled here, but he cannot put all the evidence together in his mind yet.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Youremother posted:

:emptyquote:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
It's a minor thing but after seeing it being done poorly in comics so often, I really appreciate someone using boldface for emphasis properly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's booping time

mr boop
book 1, 41-45
https://mrboop.net/

sweaty gardevoir :whitewater:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Youremother posted:

Heck yes. Binged my way through it as soon as my copies arrived and am now enjoying the leisurely pace with the rest of you :coffeepal:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
As yourself: Is there something sinister in Merkat (so?) island? And then answer; no. Yem is in his heaven. Everything is normal here on earth.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I read Mr Boop as it was posted on twitter, and it's just as good the second time :allears:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Mr. Boop may be the second greatest webcomic of all time, beaten only by Abbeycourt Manor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phthisis posted:

yeah this is the one

Also,

Thank you for drawing pupko. They were extremely good and I should have called them out in my catchup post.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grant your old wrinkly wife immortality you rear end. Unless they're vegan they're paying other people to kill animals for food already, cut out the middle man and open a Kosher butcher's (punchline stolen from Terry Pratchett)

Splicer has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Apr 13, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
PYF Comic: Holla if ya nasty

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I'm so relieved. For now.

Bybloemen

Ludwig seems to have a more traditional idea of temptation than Basil, continues to need to take it down a notch.

Anyway, er. I seem to have forgotten to upload the chapter of Shinozaki's Daily Maintenence that I prepared. Well, just Byloemen until Sunday, I guess.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tree Bucket posted:

Thanks for posting these!

You found a way to make Sonic's flesh-coloured abdomen even more unsettling, well done

That's all the encouragement I need to color more pages. eventually. at an unspecified time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Last time: God rebooted the universe and then tested it by playing Rabbit Simulator 2011.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
... this is still a continuation of the cat strip club, right?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Osmosisch posted:

It's a minor thing but after seeing it being done poorly in comics so often, I really appreciate someone using boldface for emphasis properly.

Ah man, yeah, that's a huge pet peeve for me as well. It doesn't feel like it should be hard to emphasize the right words but way too many comics seem to just sprinkle boldface in randomly

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fagtastic posted:

The huge majority of gunshow comics are inspired by the previous one, without necessarily having what you'd call continuity.

That said, yes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fagtastic posted:

lol yes it is, sort of. Every now and then KC Green liked to do a thing where the end of each strip led into the beginning of the next one in some way, even though it wasn't all one connected story, and this is still part of the same series of comics, which began before the cat strip club.

In this current series, God rebooted the universe because some random guy on Earth destroyed it because he thought the sun was trolling him because there was a woman on the sun giving Earth the finger because she found out her boyfriend went to the cat strip club. The ones before that in the series weren't as directly linked, but in the background of the cat strip club comic you can see the doctors off to get their cool skull tattoos from the previous few comics.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

everyone's so shiny all the time

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fagtastic posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Tree Bucket posted:

You have the best thumbnails!! Like driving past the warm-lit windows of quiet houses during a rainstorm.

Thank you! I guess that has to do with my color choices so it's nice to know those are good!

Blasphemous Saga Fantasy