Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Awesome Aphex Twin cover to share.
The look on these guys' faces sells it.
https://youtu.be/-eQ9cPB6-8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

NuclearPotato posted:

The Moog Matriarch. That's the one synth right now that giving me "I need this now"-style cravings, probably because I own all the other major Moog semi-modulars already, and just need that one to complete the collection. There's certainly other synths I'm interested in (hi, PWM Malevolent), but the Matriarch is the only one I'm willing to shell out for right now, especially at an under $2k price point.

yea, I've looked at Matriarchs a bunch, seems very fun.

duck.exe posted:

Is there anything on the market that’s like a modern take on the EMU Emulator II? I mean a keyboard instrument where I can load it with audio samples, apply filters/envelopes/modulation, and play it all with polyphony?

And don’t say “a DAW :v:

Any sampler with a midi keyboard would do this as well as the multifunction devices already mentioned. https://1010music.com/product/blackbox blackbox plus whatever keyboard you want, and there are definitely cheaper options, this is just in mind because I read all their docs before getting one of their eurorack modules and I like it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

treble posted:

I’ve hand a Matriarch for a few years, and it’s a forever instrument for me. I haven’t used as many synths as some, but it’s the best sounding and most rewarding synthesizer I’ve used. I predict they will go up in value when retired due to their built in delay… it seems every Moog delay seems to drastically increase in price once out of print. Maybe now’s the time?

Buhhhhhh I want one so bad. I love my Grandmother.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Anyone have the Waldorf quantum Mk1? If so, how do you like it and what are your impressions

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
at the current price, if you think of the Matriarch as 14 modules, it's only $121.36 per module and it comes in a free powered case with a keybed!! :allears:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

at the current price, if you think of the Matriarch as 14 modules, it's only $121.36 per module and it comes in a free powered case with a keybed!! :allears:

Oh no… that makes a lot of sense! :homebrew:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Oh no… that makes a lot of sense! :homebrew:

It makes enough sense that I just earnestly tried to talk my sister into buying me one as a leaving-the-state present (she is) since she's gonna spend like 4x this much on moving anyway, but that wasn't a compelling reason for her to throw $1700 plus tax at me.

I've spent substantially more than that on gear already this year, but, as a result of that I definitely don't have $1800 in my slush fund. My wife probably does, but that's because her expensive hobbies are, I don't know, uh, having 2 pairs of decent hiking shoes and a serviceable but not fancy bicycle. Meanwhile I am out destroying $500 skis on rocks and doing hobbies that cause structural fires on the property resulting in substantial insurance claims and poo poo (fingers crossed on that....)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

all this martriarch talk makes me want to spend some more time with my mother32 this weekend. It has a really nice sound to it, and gets criminally overlooked in my setup. I have a quad-delay patch loaded on Daisy, I should go through that and Light and see what that sounds like.

the sequencer on the m32 is a little obtuse but it's such a loving useful little utility to have on there. It's a little weird Mavis has the CV keeb but no sequencing; I realize mavis is intended as a budget thing, but at 24 patch points and lacking MIDI it's already substantially less feature packed than mother (plus a wavefolder, granted), and costs like 3/5 as much, they should charged $75 more and added the row of tiny LEDs and 2 additional buttons needed for the sequencer, would make the thing a hell of a lot more powerful.

As is, I am considering selling Mavis once I unrack it because I'm drowning in semis.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Buhhhhhh I want one so bad. I love my Grandmother.

I’ve been tinkering with the idea of selling my Monologue and Minitaur for one. I want a built in keybed, arpeggiator, and something semi modular so I can experiment with that (or not when I don’t feel like it.)

Also wanna try that spring reverb. ALSO it’s on sale for under a grand.

Opinions, thread?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

As I understand it the main purpose of the mavis is to rack it up with one of the other semi-modular moogs as a sidecar synth, which is why they released that powered 104HP around the same time that has exactly enough space for a mavis plus a m32/dfam/subharmonicon

It doesn’t really make sense as it’s own thing, since iirc, the wavefolder doesn’t really.. do much of anything with the oscillator waves the mavis actually has?

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 9, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

As I understand it the main purpose of the mavis is to rack it up with one of the other semi-modular moogs as a sidecar synth, which is why they released that powered 104HP around the same time that has exactly enough space for a mavis plus a m32/dfam/subharmonicon

yeah I have it racked next to an m32, still not super impressed :shrug: I don't hate it but I have 4 semis and that's the one I'd sell almost without a thought if someone walked into my room and offered me ~85% of what I paid for everything on the spot. Having put nice knobs on it makes me less apt to go list it somewhere, though.

Mavis seems pretty heavily marketed as a beginner's synth, too. The "DIY" aspect is laughable or cute depending on how you look at it, and it comes with a bunch of colorful documentation explaining history and very basic concepts, which the mother32 definitely does not come with (though it has a much beefier and generally useful pre-printed manual, shocking).

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 9, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

I’ve been tinkering with the idea of selling my Monologue and Minitaur for one. I want a built in keybed, arpeggiator, and something semi modular so I can experiment with that (or not when I don’t feel like it.)

Also wanna try that spring reverb. ALSO it’s on sale for under a grand.

Opinions, thread?

Ok here's what "downsizing" I've decided to do:

1. I already ordered the Grandmother. Oh well!
2. Sell my OP-1 Field, Minitaur and Monologue.
3. Keep my SP404-II because its downright fun and a decent audio interface.
4. Use my Keystep and MacBook for anything else I'll miss from the OP-1.

Super fun sampler/sequencer for beats, analog synth for cool sounds, laptop for DAW and the rest.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

best named wave: super saw. it's fuckin super

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

For my curiosity, just what is a super saw?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Easy! It's a saw that's more awesome than a normal saw!

(it's multiple detuned saw waves so it makes a juicy fat sound. you've absolutely heard it before)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

https://youtu.be/QciwUBpBE2o

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

Easy! It's a saw that's more awesome than a normal saw!

(it's multiple detuned saw waves so it makes a juicy fat sound. you've absolutely heard it before)

Yeah, I was running a saw on the NTS-1 through like 3 chorus effects or something last night and was thinking it reminds me of that. NTS-1 through a MD-500.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

supersaw when hypersaw walks in:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

The sound of trance music and rave parties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Scr56G9MPA

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 10, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjOyl6zS-eU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

oh no I just heard that the matriarch and grandmother are on a huge sale everywhere

I can’t afford this

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

zeroscope is highly fun and useful for $95. It's not a Data, but I don't think I need a Data right now, what I mostly wanted was an in rack tuner, and the waveform visualizations are surprisingly good for such a small screen, I was messing around with running m32 saw through the mavis wavefolder last night.

QPAS also gets a thumbs up, it benefits a lot from being chained to some of the other MN stereo stuff and probably is not where I'd go for an SVF if I didn't have a bunch of that, but it's pretty neat and if you start clocking the clock inputs in various ways you can get some cool effects / polyrhythms / melodies that percuss themselves.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

oh no I just heard that the matriarch and grandmother are on a huge sale everywhere

I can’t afford this

I wrote my immediate family a letter to the effect that all of of them should buy 2.25 matriarchs, put 2 in a closet to appreciate, and send me the 9th unit for safekeeping. No takers so far and I am out of magic cards to sell, so :shrug: so sad too bad

e: I also tried to convince my spouse that having a Matriarch as the most expensive single synth in the house would be a powerful rebuttal to the patriarchy; she reminded me that, while she does indeed have $2000 plus in her slush fund, I spent my whole slush fund and some of hers on synths and sugaring stuff this year and then the sugarhouse burned down. So, that conversation could have gone better :shrug:

Part of me thinks, "$75/month Affirm? I can afford that easily" but actually not doing that poo poo is the only reason I can afford anything :(

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 11, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What's the current consensus on Korg Gadget 2 for Mac as a DAW? After selling my OP1 I'll need to finally pull the trigger on something and having neat Korg plugins sounds like a fun perk.

Edit: Maybe I'll just start with GarageBand because I already have it and I can just buy the plugins I like the most?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 11, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

QPAS's !! inputs make it very tempting to just turn every voice into its own percussion :staredog:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

Ok here's what "downsizing" I've decided to do:

1. I already ordered the Grandmother. Oh well!
2. Sell my OP-1 Field, Minitaur and Monologue.
3. Keep my SP404-II because its downright fun and a decent audio interface.
4. Use my Keystep and MacBook for anything else I'll miss from the OP-1.

Super fun sampler/sequencer for beats, analog synth for cool sounds, laptop for DAW and the rest.

You did a good thing :clint:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Rolo posted:

What's the current consensus on Korg Gadget 2 for Mac as a DAW? After selling my OP1 I'll need to finally pull the trigger on something and having neat Korg plugins sounds like a fun perk.

Edit: Maybe I'll just start with GarageBand because I already have it and I can just buy the plugins I like the most?

It has no support for third-party plugins so you're stuck with strictly Korg's mini-synth plugins, limited audio recording support, and no effects apart from what they may have on offer. For $100 more than Logic Pro.

Just get Logic.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kilometers Davis posted:

You did a good thing :clint:

I appreciate it! Selling the OP-1 F feels weird because its older brother got me into making electronic music but I just don’t need it since I got my laptop, SP404, etc. Super stoked to make some beeps on the Gma too.

Tayter Swift posted:

It has no support for third-party plugins so you're stuck with strictly Korg's mini-synth plugins, limited audio recording support, and no effects apart from what they may have on offer. For $100 more than Logic Pro.

Just get Logic.

Yeah I wish I did more research before even asking here, that’s my bad. I’ve since narrowed it down to GarageBand and Logic. My plan was to use the free thing until I felt limited by it, unless someone wants to tell me Logic is something I should just get used to now.

Also would I be good using Logic for small projects on an M1 Air with 8gb of memory? I’ve heard it can be resource intensive.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

I appreciate it! Selling the OP-1 F feels weird because its older brother got me into making electronic music but I just don’t need it since I got my laptop, SP404, etc. Super stoked to make some beeps on the Gma too.

Yeah I wish I did more research before even asking here, that’s my bad. I’ve since narrowed it down to GarageBand and Logic. My plan was to use the free thing until I felt limited by it, unless someone wants to tell me Logic is something I should just get used to now.

Also would I be good using Logic for small projects on an M1 Air with 8gb of memory? I’ve heard it can be resource intensive.

I seriously can’t stress enough how much I love the Granny. It’s so lively and organic. It responds in a way that is so satisfying to play around with.

I use Logic + M1 Air with 16gb and it’s an absolute dream. My suggestion is mess with GarageBand for a while and then go grab the Logic free trial (you get 100% of Logic to use) and just dive in. 90 days length and every time Logic gets updated you can redownload the trial for another period. It’s Free Logic!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

I’ll poke around tomorrow, I think I have a Live Lite license somewhere if you want it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

I’ll poke around tomorrow, I think I have a Live Lite license somewhere if you want it.

Appreciate this and the PM :)

Kilometers Davis posted:

I seriously can’t stress enough how much I love the Granny. It’s so lively and organic. It responds in a way that is so satisfying to play around with.

It came early and it’s thick as hell. Loving the sound. The filter is fun to sweep, the reverb is amazing and the other modules are intuitive as all hell. The hardwired unpatched setup is easy to dive right into while I figure out how I want to start patching it. Best out of the box synth experience I’ve ever had.

Yay yay yay happy new synth day. Beep beep everyone!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Glad I already have a M8 because that polyend tracker mini looks pretty badass. Not a fan of the button layout but I suppose that's the sort of thing that grows on you once you acclimate.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

what if you think the polyend tracker is too big but thr m8 is too small?

this one’s for you!

https://youtu.be/ZGitu4oy_3w

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
What is that button layout :C

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I can't explain it but it somehow awakened the GAS in me I just ordered a Teensy 4.1 to hack into a M8

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Startyde posted:

What is that button layout :C

They borrowed from the venerable tradition of TV remote control UX.

Edit: from someone in the M8 Discord:

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 13, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm back with another "trying to make that sound" post. Never really got to where I wanted last time but that's on me being stuck on Orca rather than a more developed sequencer at the time.
I really want to recreate the lead synth line from Cake Pop's Black Rum using the M8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edp0LIUcq28

My naïve understanding of the M8 tells me to use the new Hypersynth because it's chords. There's also some kind of pitch bend or vibrato added in the reference track, so I'll have to muck with tables. I tried plugging in the first chord (I pulled off Chordify.com) and it sounds nothing like I want. I programmed in an F minor using transposes in the Hypersynth but I don't really know how to massage the instrument settings to get that really brash, harsh sound. It's all sounding too melodic.

Text documentation for the Hypersynth is a little thin on the ground and I haven't had a ton of time/attention to ingest YouTube videos for the past couple days. I kinda hate that so much of the M8 knowledge-base is tied up in their Discord and in long meetup videos. I get that it's a one man shop and he's super responsive on Discord fwiw, but man I just want a good text manual that stays updated. There's a community Google Doc, but there's a bit of lag on getting it updated to 3.0.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 13, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it doesn’t sound like chords to me, just an insane stack of detuned saws. also pretty heavily distorted

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

watho posted:

it doesn’t sound like chords to me, just an insane stack of detuned saws. also pretty heavily distorted

JamesKPolk posted:

Also the glide/portamento seems to be an important part of the sound in the clip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah just a supersaw or two, pretty low amount of detune, always glide with a pretty long glide time. distort it a bit more than is reasonable and you should be a good distance on the way