Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ok I'm level 11 in PoE. I'm leaning on ethereal knives to do most of the heavy lifting coupled with sniper's mark. For bosses i'm running in and poisoning with viper strike and then running away/throwing more knives. I'm using on of the recommended skill builds for my first time out - a couple quick questions for anyone here who plays the game:

1) What am I supposed to be doing with those crucible totem things? I don't understand what they do or how dangerous they are. Holding down the activate button seems to spawn more enemies but I'm afraid I'm going to spawn something I can't kill. What's the deal here?

2) Should I be figuring out how to craft/mod armor and weapons? I'm basically just grabbing what I find on the ground and replacing stuff I'm wearing that's worse as I go along. I've found several named yellow weapons and armor pieces but can only use one of them. I threw the rest in my stash for now until I figure out what to do with them. Problem is, I now have several linked/support green skills and not enough linked green slots to use them. I have a whole bunch of orbs/orb parts/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

level 11 is still basically tutorial. don't sweat the gear or dying. just explore and experiment and pick up things that seem interesting.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Famethrowa posted:

level 11 is still basically tutorial. don't sweat the gear or dying. just explore and experiment and pick up things that seem interesting.

I'm approaching the lower prison(?) in act 1 I think. What about these crucible totem things? Any idea how they work or what their purpose is?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Kazinsal posted:

on the other hand if I'm remembering the timeline right then it saved them from being under the purview of koalas march and cascadebeta at the time of the troubles, and I can only imagine THAT would have been a fascinating nightmare for the residents

nah cuz tmr had its own separate trans thread, literally the thread cascadebeta and most of the rest of that crew were from. my limited understanding as someone with negative interest in the idea of talking about being transgender in a thread specifically for that is there was at least some mutual dislike between the threads.

also peace thread afaik doesnt have a funny story. it started in gbs as a place for fyad people to chill while fyad was gone, it came back (for real this time) so the thread lost its initial purpose but it was well liked so it was just shuffled over

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

I'm approaching the lower prison(?) in act 1 I think. What about these crucible totem things? Any idea how they work or what their purpose is?

that’s the current league mechanic. each weapon has its own skill tree and pushing the button at the crucible altars gives you progress toward the skills on that weapon’s tree.

you largely don’t need to worry about it while leveling but you can if you want

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Path of Exile is in my steam library and I have no idea how it got there

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Frank Frank posted:

Ok I'm level 11 in PoE. I'm leaning on ethereal knives to do most of the heavy lifting coupled with sniper's mark. For bosses i'm running in and poisoning with viper strike and then running away/throwing more knives. I'm using on of the recommended skill builds for my first time out - a couple quick questions for anyone here who plays the game:

1) What am I supposed to be doing with those crucible totem things? I don't understand what they do or how dangerous they are. Holding down the activate button seems to spawn more enemies but I'm afraid I'm going to spawn something I can't kill. What's the deal here?

2) Should I be figuring out how to craft/mod armor and weapons? I'm basically just grabbing what I find on the ground and replacing stuff I'm wearing that's worse as I go along. I've found several named yellow weapons and armor pieces but can only use one of them. I threw the rest in my stash for now until I figure out what to do with them. Problem is, I now have several linked/support green skills and not enough linked green slots to use them. I have a whole bunch of orbs/orb parts/whatever.

was genuinely super confused trying to remember where ethereal knives and totem crucibles were in Pillars of Eternity and now im mad

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Augustus Snodgrass posted:

Path of Exile is in my steam library and I have no idea how it got there

It's free and you probably clicked on add to library at some point because why not.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

I mean this 100% seriously: the PoE thread in Games is full of nice helpful people who are very much happy to answer any and all noob questions you may have.

Crucible totem things are the league gimmick. You can ignore them while levelling if you want. When you click and hold on the display you see the red bar filling up. That red bar, when it’s full, unlocks an ability on the weapon or shield you selected. As you hold to fill up the red bar more, more enemies which are also more powerful will spawn. Filling the red bar up about halfway at a time should give you an okay fight that’s not too hard. (If for some reason you end up with crucible monsters that you can’t kill at all, you can generate a new version of the area by holding control when clicking on an entrance or on your map when teleporting there.)

Crafting in PoE can be extremely complicated and involved. You do not need to craft anything in Act 1. You maybe want to craft some stuff in Act 4 or 5. As a general rule of thumb while levelling, you want a weapon that matches whatever you’re doing with good dps numbers/modifiers on it (so for ethereal knives you want daggers with good damage stats I imagine), and sockets/links to fit your important skills (you will have more gems than you have space for while levelling, this is normal). Your stat goals while levelling are to get at least 300 life per act (so 300 in act 1, 600 in act 2, so forth and so on), and to get your elemental resistances (fire, cold, and lightning) as high as possible up to the cap of 75% for each resistance. In act 1, you need some cold resist for the act boss (merveil). If you find and equip a sapphire ring, that’s enough. If you haven’t found a sapphire ring by the time you get to the cavern of wrath, buy an iron ring and any blue gem from Nessa in town, then sell those right back to her in one sale transaction and she’ll give you a sapphire ring in exchange.

e: you’re going to get tons of yellow rarity item drops. If it’s not something that has links/sockets you can use, sell it to a vendor. If it is something that has links/sockets you can use, check and see if it has better life/resistances (or movement speed, if it’s boots): if yes, equip it, if not, sell it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 13, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

was genuinely super confused trying to remember where ethereal knives and totem crucibles were in Pillars of Eternity and now im mad

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

George Floyd, known for starring in the "I Sleep/Real poo poo" meme, among other things

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also what's with all those "little mouse" avatars that a lot of people have. were they assigned, or solicited?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

also what's with all those "little mouse" avatars that a lot of people have. were they assigned, or solicited?

no idea what you're talking about but I assume they're mouse ashley from RE4.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nah it's these ones they've been a thing for maybe a couple years now

a number of people have a mouse, and a tagline of "an [adjective] little mouse!"

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I had one of those avatars too, until I made a stupid autoban for using the wrong thread tag. I didn't have an avatar before that. I was the 'confident' little mouse. Nobody has admitted to purchasing them, afaik.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's this person, based on their av.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
idk who would buy some rat avatars for people anonymous. could be anyone

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
IIRC they were being bought for people with no av, and no one ever figured out more of a pattern than that or really minded because it seemed charitable enough.

My avatar is unrelated; I bought it myself, but someone added the text at around the same time as people were getting Mouse Buddy avs, which I assume is related.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it originates from a post in one of the r/relationships threads or something about a goon's kid or relative's kid who had a bunch of 'mouse buddies' as his imaginary friends. It was cute.

No idea who made and bought all the avatars.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

also peace thread afaik doesnt have a funny story. it started in gbs as a place for fyad people to chill while fyad was gone, it came back (for real this time) so the thread lost its initial purpose but it was well liked so it was just shuffled over

My recall is that people really wanted to (1) post goatse and (2) call kolby a retard in there, and rather than have it be in GBS but have different rules from the other threads they moved it. Pretty sure the final impetus for the move was goatse related

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

I mean this 100% seriously: the PoE thread in Games is full of nice helpful people who are very much happy to answer any and all noob questions you may have.

Crucible totem things are the league gimmick. You can ignore them while levelling if you want. When you click and hold on the display you see the red bar filling up. That red bar, when it’s full, unlocks an ability on the weapon or shield you selected. As you hold to fill up the red bar more, more enemies which are also more powerful will spawn. Filling the red bar up about halfway at a time should give you an okay fight that’s not too hard. (If for some reason you end up with crucible monsters that you can’t kill at all, you can generate a new version of the area by holding control when clicking on an entrance or on your map when teleporting there.)

Crafting in PoE can be extremely complicated and involved. You do not need to craft anything in Act 1. You maybe want to craft some stuff in Act 4 or 5. As a general rule of thumb while levelling, you want a weapon that matches whatever you’re doing with good dps numbers/modifiers on it (so for ethereal knives you want daggers with good damage stats I imagine), and sockets/links to fit your important skills (you will have more gems than you have space for while levelling, this is normal). Your stat goals while levelling are to get at least 300 life per act (so 300 in act 1, 600 in act 2, so forth and so on), and to get your elemental resistances (fire, cold, and lightning) as high as possible up to the cap of 75% for each resistance. In act 1, you need some cold resist for the act boss (merveil). If you find and equip a sapphire ring, that’s enough. If you haven’t found a sapphire ring by the time you get to the cavern of wrath, buy an iron ring and any blue gem from Nessa in town, then sell those right back to her in one sale transaction and she’ll give you a sapphire ring in exchange.

e: you’re going to get tons of yellow rarity item drops. If it’s not something that has links/sockets you can use, sell it to a vendor. If it is something that has links/sockets you can use, check and see if it has better life/resistances (or movement speed, if it’s boots): if yes, equip it, if not, sell it.

Thanks! This is what I needed.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

My recall is that people really wanted to (1) post goatse and (2) call kolby a retard in there, and rather than have it be in GBS but have different rules from the other threads they moved it. Pretty sure the final impetus for the move was goatse related

It was called War, Peace, and Goatse for a while for a reason

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TheMightyBoops posted:

I had Shaq basketball shoes. They were like Jordan’s, but you bought them at Walmart.

Not anymore lol

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Hehe

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
bold of you to show your racist face round here

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

made it onto the top 100 ignored users list...

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 13, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Elon Musk Ftw.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goongratulations

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Grats

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mortal Kombat tower but all the pictures are blank

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

You're no African AIDS cum, that's for sure.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They should make IKs be immune to the block list

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think if you pay enough money you should be able to make other users ignore someone. Also, I think there should be a sound file that says "Ignore much?" whenever you decide to block someone.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Leal posted:

someone ignored a poster that eventually became an idiot king and it broke it so they couldnt ignore anyone anymore lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ignoring someone who is a better poster than you is a very bitchmade move tbh

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

See, anything is possible if you believe in yourself.

Posting Moe gifs probably helps too

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Ignoring someone who is a better poster than you is a very bitchmade move tbh

This is why I don't ignore anyone

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

someone ignored a poster that eventually became an idiot king and it broke it so they couldnt ignore anyone anymore lol

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leal posted:

You need to grind up a high enough embarrassing post count to qualify for modship to be unblockable and simultaneously break every ignore list you're already on because it teaches you a lesson about the importance of hard work and failure.