Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’ve heard of long walks for a joke but I hope you packed a lunch for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Antivehicular posted:

I also noticed that phrase being used, and while I don't think it's probe-worthy in the context of otherwise good-faith discussion, I also dislike it! I think it's tasteless, and it's also evoking a certain kind of "people who like games I don't are lesser people"/badwrongfun argument I don't want to see in the forums.

Maybe y’all could just stop being overly sensitive

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Crackbone posted:

Are you saying that in a passive aggressive way because you feel like some board game thread posters' concerns were being brushed off for being "overly sensitive" or do you sincerely feel that what she expressed is being "overly sensitive"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That comment wasn't related to board games though, was it? I thought it was d and d, ttrpgs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah it’s a lovely way to cast someone disagreeing with you or having a different mentality about how they approach a ttrpg.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think it should be probable or something, but as someone who legit has brain damage after a recent health thing, it's a lovely way to phrase it. I'm very lucky that I only lost a week and a half of memories, some of the other people on the ward with me lost their ability to read. Comparing lovely elfgames to that is just tasteless.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 13, 2023

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Crackbone posted:

Maybe you could shut the gently caress up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

silvergoose posted:

That comment wasn't related to board games though, was it? I thought it was d and d, ttrpgs

The discussion in the past week was about ttrpgs, yes. Crackbone's post reads like they think the prior discussion about the board game thread moderation were written off as people being "oversensitive" and apparently they've been cooking that sick comeback for a week to throw it back in Antivehicular's face at an optimal time.

Or maybe they do think people are oversensitive for having issue with calling D&D players brain damaged. I guess that's possible, too.

This whole thing did remind me that I need to put my money where my mouth is though, so I went ahead and made a new thread: Thinking About How We Learn to Play and GM TTRPGs. I look forward to a lot of heady debates with all the greatest goon illuminati (goonluminati) about nerd hobbies.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nuns with Guns posted:

This whole thing did remind me that I need to put my money where my mouth is though, so I went ahead and made a new thread: Thinking About How We Learn to Play and GM TTRPGs. I look forward to a lot of heady debates with all the greatest goon illuminati (goonluminati) about nerd hobbies.

Bookmarked! This is a good thread idea and I hope it spawns some good discussion.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Crackbone posted:

I’m gonna add to this response to this because I feel like it was limited and folks on here are too nice compared to how they feel.

Shut the gently caress up.

No one on this forum wants this kind of poster. No one. gently caress off.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fr0id posted:

I’m gonna add to this response to this because I feel like it was limited and folks on here are too nice compared to how they feel.

Shut the gently caress up.

No one on this forum wants this kind of poster. No one. gently caress off.

Lol
The mods do.

just want to make a side note that just because i post something that i know will upset someone doesn’t mean it’s bad faith or trollery.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 13, 2023

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Crackbone posted:

Lol
The mods do.

just want to make a side note that just because i post something that i know will upset someone doesn’t mean it’s bad faith or trollery.

I'm increasingly getting that everyone on both sides of your stupid board game thread spat actually sucks really bad and the problem wasn't just the pro-KDM contingent, which is impressive considering that "not liking the titty tentacle rape minis board game" should be a slam dunk stance.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Crackbone posted:

So.... you do just think it's okay to call people brain damaged for liking D&D or some other completely mid-but-pervasive TG thing? How are you any better than jarofpiss exactly?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"D&D causes brain damage" was a funny little truism when I first heard it. I'm now much older and am more conscious of the concept of punching down. "D&D teaches you wrong, as a joke" is as funny as I used to find the first one and doesn't victimise a vulnerable population by comparing them to D&D players come on you knew that was coming

But seriously not being an rear end doesn't cost you anything and it always baffles me what people choose to dig their heels in on.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 13, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Though I'll never get tired of seeing people throwing public tantrums over incredibly minor inconveniences while simultaneously accusing other people of being "too sensitive"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Incidentally the netrunner continuation people are redoing their cards to replace brain damage with "core damage" which is a great example of how reexamining harmful terminology can result in solutions that are even better than the original.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kai Tave posted:

I'm increasingly getting that everyone on both sides of your stupid board game thread spat actually sucks really bad and the problem wasn't just the pro-KDM contingent, which is impressive considering that "not liking the titty tentacle rape minis board game" should be a slam dunk stance.

This is pretty harsh and I dislike being painted with a brush based on other people's actions. Not everyone objecting to thread derails posts like this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't really believe in being lovely to people who like the wrong game, no matter how gentle the snark is when you do it.

I mean, would people really respond well to me being a smug rear end in a top hat in the boardgame thread about how the baby games they like don't hold a candle to World in Flames?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Can we please not do this particular derail again?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Panzeh posted:

I mean, would people really respond well to me being a smug rear end in a top hat in the boardgame thread about how the baby games they like don't hold a candle to World in Flames?

Previous iterations of the thread occasionally went there (at least since I've been reading, about 8ish years?). It's referenced in the previous OP from late 2014. Broadly, we've been trying to tamp down that elitism and snobbery while simultaneously not discouraging the "connoisseurism" for lack of a better word? We want people to discover board gaming safely, and not have a hostile entrance the way you do in some other subforums where newbs get the cold shoulder. That poo poo happens enough in real life at gaming stores and cons. Of course, 'hardcore' gamers also want to talk about stuff. Having high standards is good, and wanting to get the best out of the hobby is worthwhile. It's okay to say, "I think Game X is actually better than Game Y because A, B and C." But it's less okay to say, "I can't believe you haven't played Game Y, that is a personal failing, how could you ever play X?" There are several reasons for this. Board games are luxury goods that can be quite expensive, so it's often less viable to play as many as you can watch TV shows or movies or books. Also, board games have a pretty clear on-ramp to get people into the hobby, and some of those "intro" games are not the things entrenched players would typically play. This is a fine line, and it's still SA so sometimes someone is just going to give you a hard time.

This is not especially germane to the feedback thread, but I felt like it was worth adding that historical context to say, "Yes, that would be bad, and we've been trying to keep that in check for basically forever. Hopefully we've improved things."

Beyond that, this is all completely unrelated to the potentially ableist cliche about D&D that people are trying to discourage because ableism sucks. I think if people post ableist poo poo, they should get modded or at least warned curtly and unambiguously. We don't need a discussion to decide if ableism sucks.

Also:

PurpleXVI posted:

Can we please not do this particular derail again?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Nothing on earth as petty as a nerd with an opinion and free time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

silvergoose posted:

This is pretty harsh and I dislike being painted with a brush based on other people's actions. Not everyone objecting to thread derails posts like this.

Yeah to be fair, there were as many people who frequent the board game thread saying they didn't agree with and/or like the prior dickish comments here. Crackbone coming in a week after discussion died down to pick more fights is super dickish but it's not like that's indicative of some broader group feeling.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

they really hate it when you do this

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So jarofpiss is helpfully illustrating something I've noticed which isn't necessarily just a tradgames moderation thing but an SA moderation thing in general, which is that people with dozens of 6-24 hour probations tend to just accumulate more 6-24 hour probations without any actual effect occurring from it. It feels like there's a real reluctance to escalate beyond that even when someone has repeatedly demonstrated their commitment to posting like an rear end in a top hat. If the purpose of moderation is to curate a community for the better, endlessly giving persistently lovely posters light smacks on the wrist doesn't seem like a great way to do it imo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For better or for worse, that's my understanding of SomethingAwful moderation culture as a whole, at least since I joined. Sixers aren't really supposed to ramp or escalate - they're just quick timeouts for minor infractions, often done for comedy.

They're treated as minor by everyone because on SA they're supposed to be, and aren't really intended or suited for changing behavior.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah I always kinda thought of myself as an imposter because I haven't ever earned a 6er. It seems to be kind of an expected part of the culture here or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a general SA thing:

Ramping is a thing, but not every mod or admin is going to apply a given post to the area that called for ramping. So for example if someone's being ramped in a particular thread for refusing to shut up about their He-Man collection, and then they make a post in a different thread that is some casual misogyny, the latter post probably won't be treated as part of their ramp.

One issue is that there's no place to record "this poster is on a ramp" other than in probation reason, and you can't expect every mod to read every probation reason a poster has, whenever they issue a sixer, and also there's no standard that says ramps should always be mentioned in probe reasons either.

I think there's also a general sense among mods that a very mild infraction that would otherwise draw mayyybe a sixer or maybe nothing, shouldn't result in like a week off for someone even if they're on a ramp.

All that said, I'm not issuing probes in this thread. I recused myself basically, a couple weeks ago. I don't really trust that I'd be able to be fair, when so much vitriol has been directed specifically at me, and I don't want to create an appearance or actual conflict of interest either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I'm going to suggest that if the mods want to keep people from persistently making GBS threads up threads (like jarofpiss has now been probated twice in this thread for the exact same sort of thing now, and given how they've been posting here I find it very easy believe they were making GBS threads up the boardgame thread in similar fashion) that they might want to consider ramping it up beyond that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think "ramps" should be reserved for violations of the rules more severe than making jokes and light trolls

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I don't even understand what that jarofpiss post is, it's just white noise to me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
idk why that even was given a day and personally i find posts like those far less disruptive to a thread than extremely aggressive long rear end tirades which some thread cultures encourage

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Besides, jarofpiss only posts like that because of a bunch of shitheads making GBS threads on him nearly every time he made genuine posts, so punishing him for being spiteful at those people isn't going to change his behavior any.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk why that even was given a day and personally i find posts like those far less disruptive to a thread than extremely aggressive long rear end tirades which some thread cultures encourage
It's really OK, you don't need to concern troll for jarofpiss. They're fine. Making white noise posts until they accumulated enough negative attention to get another "lol I pissed off the squares" badge was the entire point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Coming in with another taunt is lame, so was reviving this grudge weeks later. Nobody wins.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I will always chuckle at a reference to Raoul’s Wild Kingdom though.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

You know how big companies don’t really sweat breaking a lot of laws because the fines are low enough so that it’s just cost of doing business?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thanlis posted:

You know how big companies don’t really sweat breaking a lot of laws because the fines are low enough so that it’s just cost of doing business?
Are you saying we're being visited by "Big Jarate"?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kai Tave posted:

So jarofpiss is helpfully illustrating something I've noticed which isn't necessarily just a tradgames moderation thing but an SA moderation thing in general, which is that people with dozens of 6-24 hour probations tend to just accumulate more 6-24 hour probations without any actual effect occurring from it. It feels like there's a real reluctance to escalate beyond that even when someone has repeatedly demonstrated their commitment to posting like an rear end in a top hat. If the purpose of moderation is to curate a community for the better, endlessly giving persistently lovely posters light smacks on the wrist doesn't seem like a great way to do it imo.

I agree with this entirely. This is the only context I think it should be allowed to complain about 6ers. For sincere posters, the punishment is taking away their ability to contribute. But for insincere posters, taking away their fun is the goal. I'm not a community manager so I am just speculating, but I imagine changing the behavior of a concerted bad actor would probably require more time off than for someone who actually likes SA, wants to contribute, etc.

I'm of two minds on feedback thread probes. For one, it might be better to be looser on the rules so people can feel open to say what they want. On the other hand, it might be better to be even tighter on the rules so you don't get 50 whitenoise responses like some of the SAD threads. I guess the former is better since you can just ignore the white noise, but people might not speak up if you mod more. And I say this as someone on the record who wants more probes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

On the other hand, it might be better to be even tighter on the rules so you don't get 50 whitenoise responses like some of the SAD threads.

White noise posters absolutely also kill genuine responses, especially since they tend to be the sort of posters who'll jump on anyone who actually tries to be sincere and helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

PurpleXVI posted:

White noise posters absolutely also kill genuine responses, especially since they tend to be the sort of posters who'll jump on anyone who actually tries to be sincere and helpful.

This. It's a tried and true strategy.