Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
not so smart people discovering it the hard way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

its almost as if americans are the single most cucked and propagandized people on earth!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

seems like pretty useless survey if you add the context

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1646429859013607424?s=20

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I've heard multiple conservatives state this as a belief that they have

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Do you also get angry that French people don't pronounce "faux pas" as "fox pass"? That Germans say "FolksVagen"?
i don't because french/german spellings are very consistent, there's only a few exceptions and they aren't very hard to memorize

i do get angry at english spelling though. pronunciation is fine, but the spelling makes no fuckin sense and hasn't for hundreds of years

why is c sometimes read as k?
why is ch sometimes read as sh?
why is ch sometimes read as k?
why is ti sometimes read as sh?
why is k silent so often?
the plethora of different oughts

and so on and so forth

english speakers are a profoundly backwards group where their reaction to the changes in their language over the last 1000 years has been "let's keep the spelling of our words the same as 800 years ago, who cares if knight is now nait". it is absolutely no wonder they're the no1 reactionary global power when their written language is so archaic it's the perfect case study for what appealing to tradition does to your brain

what i'm saying is, anglos are the very very last people in the world who have any right to poo poo on how people spell their words :v:

lmfao

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

lol this fucker is quoting Epoch times.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

falun dong

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Truga posted:

i don't because french/german spellings are very consistent, there's only a few exceptions and they aren't very hard to memorize

i do get angry at english spelling though. pronunciation is fine, but the spelling makes no fuckin sense and hasn't for hundreds of years

why is c sometimes read as k?
why is ch sometimes read as sh?
why is ch sometimes read as k?
why is ti sometimes read as sh?
why is k silent so often?
the plethora of different oughts

and so on and so forth

english speakers are a profoundly backwards group where their reaction to the changes in their language over the last 1000 years has been "let's keep the spelling of our words the same as 800 years ago, who cares if knight is now nait". it is absolutely no wonder they're the no1 reactionary global power when their written language is so archaic it's the perfect case study for what appealing to tradition does to your brain

what i'm saying is, anglos are the very very last people in the world who have any right to poo poo on how people spell their words :v:

though and thought not having any pronounciation in common is very funny

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Hotel Mumbai tonight and I just felt dirty afterwards. It was all gratuitous, voyeuristic, exploitative imagery. Even the insertion of hopeful resolution at the end as some of them gets rescued isn't enough to make up for it.

And looking at the wikipedia page (yes, yes, I know), isn't Laskar e Taiba a clear case of post-Afghanistan blowback?

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1646516307226161153?t=owprMhpfeQ369yKLb2BirA&s=19

https://www.guancha.cn/economy/2023_04_13_688262.shtml

quote:

The new president of the New Development Bank and former Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff arrived in Shanghai to take up his post first, and was warmly greeted downstairs. Along with Lula were the President of the Senate, several federal ministers, governors and other Brazilian dignitaries.

Lula kicked off his 30-minute but impassioned speech with a light-hearted joke: "Where's my glasses? I think I look better and smarter that way."

Observer.com noticed that Lula mentioned the word "new world" more than once in his speech.

He recalled that when he was president of Brazil from 2003 to 2010, he had many meetings with Russia, India, China, South Africa and other countries, and he wanted to establish such a development bank at that time.

"Every night I ask myself, why? Why do these countries have to use the U.S. dollar as a settlement method, why can't we use our own currency as a settlement currency?"

As soon as the voice fell, there was warm applause from the audience, and some cheers could even be faintly heard.

Lula continued, "Why? Why? Who decided this? Why must the world use the US dollar? Why isn't the renminbi the world's exchange currency? Why not other currencies? Why must the central bank buy US dollars? Why? Can't our BRICS Bank use our own currency to provide loans to these countries?"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
https://twitter.com/trkh_khbr/status/1645868004926971904?cxt=HHwWgIDTzd6OptctAAAA

This thread is very interesting, did a big lol at Pakistan being close to apartheid South Africa.

https://twitter.com/trkh_khbr/status/1645868030600306690

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DiscountDildos posted:

"Every night I ask myself, why? Why do these countries have to use the U.S. dollar as a settlement method, why can't we use our own currency as a settlement currency?"

because of Keynes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
is there a good summary of the Sri Lankan civil war out there, preferably in written form?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Like 15-75 years ago USA pointed a gun at everyone individually and collectively, and told them "you gotta use dollars". That's why everybody uses dollars. I'm getting the feeling that that hasn't happened in a while and I don't think America remembers how to do it again.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Senile rear end empire

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

So India and Japan are helping Bangladesh to build a deep water port just because they can't let China build one. It's basically an actual competing BRI project with actual loan lent by Japan ( Bangladesh probably got a great deal since now yen has tanked), wow it's not bullshit fake competition to BRI like the US blue dot network, B3W whatever. Anyway its good for Bangladesh.

Just looking at the map its too far away from the population center. Their next port probably will be closer to Dhaka.

its the indo-gangetic plains. Every place is a population center.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched Hotel Mumbai tonight and I just felt dirty afterwards. It was all gratuitous, voyeuristic, exploitative imagery. Even the insertion of hopeful resolution at the end as some of them gets rescued isn't enough to make up for it.

And looking at the wikipedia page (yes, yes, I know), isn't Laskar e Taiba a clear case of post-Afghanistan blowback?

yeah the indian government has been on the US-Vassal-State-exports-terror alarm for all my life.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Dropping a quick "gently caress Florida" here. Anti Chinese laws are probably going to force my family to flee the country if they continue like this

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because of Keynes

didn't he want bancor, not the dollar

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doktor Avalanche posted:

didn't he want bancor, not the dollar

check back saturday for my 95 page thesis on how he proposed the dollar after the americans killed bancor and unitas

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CrisisGroup/status/1646434387444023296

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Lol, one of my coworkers asked me about this today.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Frontlinestory/status/1646392719038910464

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, one of my coworkers asked me about this today.

AAP winning in a state with its own police force and doing a mini emergency is a good bit.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Almost 7 minutes is impressive

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Dropping a quick "gently caress Florida" here. Anti Chinese laws are probably going to force my family to flee the country if they continue like this

what's up in florida?? aside from the sea level

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KomradeX posted:

That's what xi said

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KomradeX posted:

yeah that's what your wife said too

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Eminent DNS posted:

what's up in florida?? aside from the sea level

They made all Chinese Nationals register with the state or sell their property

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

yet more evidence that our current liberal ruling class has poisoned itself with its own ideology. the law - and international law in particular - is such a contingent and fundamentally politicised phenomenon that it's kind of insane that they're pretending that an 'insufficient legal challenge' could somehow prevent a (politically desired!) Australian involvement in a potential war with China. God I hate legal positivism

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yah know, I didn't think white people were going to die in a Taiwan conflict.

The liberals are going to be SO mad about it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

oscarthewilde posted:

God I hate legal positivism bourgeois legalism

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Casus belli?
Never heard of her

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

yet more evidence that our current liberal ruling class has poisoned itself with its own ideology. the law - and international law in particular - is such a contingent and fundamentally politicised phenomenon that it's kind of insane that they're pretending that an 'insufficient legal challenge' could somehow prevent a (politically desired!) Australian involvement in a potential war with China. God I hate legal positivism

A return to anarchy as the normal rule. Ah progress.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol
https://twitter.com/rnaudbertrand/status/1646672050168414209

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xi showing euro politicians Americascrimes.txt one by one

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

fluid karma lookin good

suck it gas guzzlers