Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Getting hella serious about video game movies in the switch thread on the deadest forum on the internet

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

who would win in a fight, puss in boots or mario

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Illumination sucks at making kids movies i'd want to show my kids BUT now i'm beginning to think it's exactly what i'd want from a *Mario* movie. almost no real story + a series of set-pieces and action sequences with a weird bowser fight at the end is exactly what the games are. maybe the most faithful game -> movie adaptation? i've always wanted a movie to try doing that but they always add a bunch of narrative scaffolding to make everything make sense.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
western "animation" :barf:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Augus posted:

Trick question, puss in boots isn't real

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

I feel I should be offended.

You should be offended by how long it took me to find the boat.

I did Throne's Chapter 2 (recommended level 16) with lv 12 Throne, lv 8 Temenos, and like lv 6 Osvald. Made for one heck of a dungeon -- I was even almost level 16 by the time I left it!

Now I'm pickin' up Ochette and she's adorbs. Plus they seem to have greatly improved the Hunter mechanics from last time.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Only ones worth getting are 4 and 6.

5 if you do Four Job Fiesta.

Four job fiesta is the only reason to play any base game SNES FF game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shwqa posted:

Four job fiesta is the only reason to play any base game SNES FF game.

You can also play them for other reasons. For example to enjoy them

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Augus posted:

Puss in Boots has a sword.

They gave Mario a gun.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Grid Autosport - is the most sim-my, with two graphical fidelity modes, Rewind option, etc.

Burnout Paradise - open world racing and carnage simulator.

NFS: Hot Pursuit - 2012 version released for ps3/360. I used to own it, and to be honest I find it quite underwhelming. It does regularly get discounted for cheap though. EA really should port some of their other titles in the series. It's closest equivalent is "Burnout Paradise without any of the things that makes a Burnout game".

Gear.Club 1&2 - Don't. It's a premium port of a mobile game, and a far, farrrr cry from Eden Games' open world Test Drive Unlimited releases for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Road Redemption - Modern reimagining of the Genesis series Road Rash.

Wreckfest - Demolition Derby and racing game. Digital Foundry has a review for it somewhere.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - the only kart racer that runs at 60fps, and rock solid 60 at that. Also the only racing game calibrated to be played at 100% throttle (250cc excepted). Has more tracks than anything else on the console.

TT: Isle of Man 2 - the Dark Souls while blindfolded of motorcycle racing games.

The Pirate Captain posted:

Despite seeming like it should be garbage, the Hot Wheels game is actually very good. I have over 200 hours in it, runs great on Switch. It’s more arcadey than the titles you mentioned so ymmv.

djfooboo posted:

Horizon Chase Turbo: This is an arcade 2D racer in the form of Out Run or Top Gear. It is a blast if you love highly polished retro racers. It goes on sale often and even has Aryton Senna DLC.

Thanks, I got Horizon Chase Turbo and will give a couple of the others a try. Should have mentioned I already had Mario Kart, but I assumed just about everyone did by now.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I played all the pixel remasters except for 6.

4 was my favourite

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Mario, but only if it's the Cat Mario that can turn into a statue.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

littleorv posted:

I played all the pixel remasters except for 6.

4 was my favourite
I'll probably always have a soft spot for FF6, I loved it as a kid and it's still a good game today IMO.

Hrist posted:

Mario, but only if it's the Cat Mario that can turn into a statue.
Cat Mario can turn into a statue? I knew Tanooki Suit could, why add it to Cat Mario too instead of having the Tanooki Suit?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I'll probably always have a soft spot for FF6, I loved it as a kid and it's still a good game today IMO.

Cat Mario can turn into a statue? I knew Tanooki Suit could, why add it to Cat Mario too instead of having the Tanooki Suit?

https://www.mariowiki.com/Lucky_Cat_Mario

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
FF6 really kicked the presentation up a notch and is the first Final fantasy with its own identity in my opinion. Before this the franchise was more or less "cartoony anime d&d" down to specific classes and monster apperances, but 6 decided to stick to a theme and remain consistent with said theme in battle music, character design, world building, etc while retaining the core of what a FF/jrpg in general should have

Ever since then feels like every Final fantasy tries to strike out its own identity for better or for worse. FF9 was a cool throwback to the earlier days but that itself was a unique identity
/theme during its time of release

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Super deep cut collection coming to the Switch
https://twitter.com/turfmasta/status/1646184206144290816

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Looper posted:

the best one is 5 btw

:hai:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Bottom Liner posted:

So not very? It has less plot than a 7 minute Bluey episode. It's just 90 minutes of bright colors and loud sounds for kids.

I really don't understand this critique. Action movies should not be more than 90 minutes long, should not dwell on their plots, and should not equate character development with filler material.

John Wick 4, a movie about a man who kicks people in the face, is 166 minutes long. Does John Wick learn how to crochet Christmas stockings for half the runtime? What the gently caress could he possibly need 166 minutes to do?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I really don't understand this critique. Action movies should not be more than 90 minutes long, should not dwell on their plots, and should not equate character development with filler material.

John Wick 4, a movie about a man who kicks people in the face, is 166 minutes long. Does John Wick learn how to crochet Christmas stockings for half the runtime? What the gently caress could he possibly need 166 minutes to do?

He needs every minute to do sick gunfighting/martial arts moves against waves and waves of deadly enemies and he makes every minute count you fool, you absolute buffoon.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

The first Mario movie is pretty political and is in large part about the Mario Bros taking down capitalism. A couple more of those and we might've beaten capitalism too

The Wario movie will be about his time organizing stay-behind militias during operation gladio. Mario rejects reactionary nationalism and goes out among the people via warp pipe

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 13, 2023

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Flying Zamboni posted:

He needs every minute to do sick gunfighting/martial arts moves against waves and waves of deadly enemies and he makes every minute count you fool, you absolute buffoon.

If I had had more edibles on me at the time I gladly would've stayed another hour for more John Wick 4.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they weren’t saying that it was too short op

also John Wick loving owns

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Case in favour: Commando is exactly one hour and thirty minutes long, and doesn't waste a single second of its runtime. What a perfect film.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
just learned that Barbie is 1h40m 👀

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

finished Signalis! a little under 8 hours with the Promise ending. that last sequence was perfect, they leaned on the combat system just enough to make it shine in there

I'll definitely replay it someday on TV mode, those additional options make the game twice as moody

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

As good as the Mario Movie is, it can't escape its fundamental nature as an Illumination product. That's how you end up with unnecessary licensed music segments and the nihilist Luma gag that massively overstays its welcome. It's not clear to me how you can be handed an IP as rich as Mario and still bottom-out creatively.

I just thought of the random record drops as being faithful to the old cartoons which had covers of licensed songs out of nowhere.

beer gas canister posted:

The Wario movie will be about his time organizing stay-behind militias during operation gladio. Mario rejects reactionary nationalism and goes out among the people via warp pipe

Should be a Wario movie that's basically about the employees of WarioWare Inc unionising and kicking his rear end to get their share of the profits. They actually did that once in the games.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
All this talk of Final Fantasy just reminds me, I want the Dragon Quest 3 remake NOW. :colbert:

wizard2 posted:

just learned that Barbie is 1h40m 👀

:stare: Pretty sure the last movie I saw in theaters (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) was that long...so basically

Fun Times! posted:

If I had had more edibles on me at the time I gladly would've stayed another hour for more John Wick 4 Barbie (2023).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just thought of the random record drops as being faithful to the old cartoons which had covers of licensed songs out of nowhere.

Should be a Wario movie that's basically about the employees of WarioWare Inc unionising and kicking his rear end to get their share of the profits. They actually did that once in the games.

:piss: I can't believe how true this! I don't know what I'm going to do with this information but it is 100% the case and thank you for pointing it out.

Flying Zamboni posted:

He really doesn't do that though. There's 3 major set pieces in the film one is good, one is mediocre and derivative, and one is an inspired homage and incredibly entertaining despite some absurdity. In that order.

Film is too long. 3 remains the best despite having a bit too much plot and a frustrating cliff-hanger of an ending.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I got to the climactic scene where you face GlaDOS in Portal 2. Still hits hard. Now I'm at the big vault door where the 50s are sealed.

e: the autotune death howl!

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 13, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Holy poo poo Zelda!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Godly

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I see where the 70 dollars goes

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGShqcAHlQ

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Upsidads posted:

I see where the 70 dollars goes

it goes to nintendo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well jesus titty loving christ, that looks good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like yet another epic Nintendo W.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Kid Sickorus

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

zelda is gonna be loving sick

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Upsidads posted:

Kid Sickorus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Advance Wars next week and Zelda next moth. Nintendo stays winning.