Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
really disgusting stuff. how can this be the biosphere collapse thread if there’s proponents of white genocide. who will maintain the golf courses and the cruise ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I've checked with the scientists, and they wanted me to let you know that things are actually basically okay. Heck, they're even getting better!

Everything is going to be fine.

:nsa:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I mean we are like 20 years into things continuously being worse than predicted at this point. it is hard to keep up

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Wonder what America looks like 20 years from now

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
The fact that everyone isn't sufficiently alarmed and pessimistic is poetically enough sufficient proof that the doomers are correct. We'll never solve this and the reaction of the general public is all you need to look at

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

err posted:

Pretty much like now only more intense, the current atmosphere of. Imminent violence now one of constant low grade conflict, political and economic stagnation more evident, even more firm barriers between social classes, and all the while people proclaiming that things aren't that bad uet

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

adapa, you rat! you broke the wing of the south wind!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

TehSaurus posted:

[edit: ok actually reading the article it doesn’t seem like this is the clathrate gun firing up after all, my mistake. while not having such amazing content as punctuation makes my post less impactful I do still feel it is largely correct. I still think the idea that you can fix climate change with a solar shade is hilarious though and so I’m leaving the original remark.]

lmfao yeah guys we can totally fix this with a solar shade hahaha

humans and our insane civilization are already dead. if you’ve been reading this thread and don’t understand that it is time to move onto the next phase of grief

it sucks that there is going to be so much suffering between here and there but hey maybe we get lucky and have an anoxic event

I've checked with the scientists, and they wanted me to let you know that things are actually basically okay. Heck, they're even getting better! None of this then!

Mayor Dave posted:

Humans might not live on fossil fuels but the current mode of industrial agriculture is impossible without them, and in turn current population is unsustainable without it, so

I've checked with the scientists, and they wanted me to let you know that things are actually basically okay. Heck, they're even getting better! None of this then!

4d3d3d posted:

The fact that everyone isn't sufficiently alarmed and pessimistic is poetically enough sufficient proof that the doomers are correct. We'll never solve this and the reaction of the general public is all you need to look at

Mayor Dave posted:

Pretty much like now only more intense, the current atmosphere of. Imminent violence now one of constant low grade conflict, political and economic stagnation more evident, even more firm barriers between social classes, and all the while people proclaiming that things aren't that bad uet

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

1-in-1000 year flooding in South Florida

https://twitter.com/SteelCourage/status/1646281562667843585
https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/1646480330663051264
https://twitter.com/douglasthron777/status/1646421226296836097
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1646502270052315138

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm going to fly to the Seychelles and tell every person I meet that I've checked with the scientists and the rising sea levels are basically okay and getting better

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
comforting to know all these hosed up weather events will not happen again for a thousand years

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

bedpan posted:

Thank you. This is a much needed dose of reality and clearly my pessimism is related to personal issues, such as the fact that I'm 330 pounds and live in my mother's basement

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Knitting Beetles posted:

comforting to know all these hosed up weather events will not happen again for a thousand years

yep. I've checked with the scientists and they told me this is all okay. Having the thousand year storm now means that the next 999 years are storm free.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

TACD posted:

i didn’t know we had a techno-triumphalist in the thread

us techno-utopians are all about ultimate limits to knowledge

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
The solutions to climate change aren't that hard to imagine, imagining humanity implementing them is

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Hubbert posted:

I've checked with the scientists, and they wanted me to let you know that things are actually basically okay. Heck, they're even getting better!

Everything is going to be fine.

:nsa:

This is good news. Someone give the scientists a gold star for me.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
It's very eco-fascist that 2 billion humans will be displaced or die in the next decade. I'm on the phone with the manager of the biosphere to file a complaint right now.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

err posted:

https://i.imgur.com/nUWJEki.mp4

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"this is the only thing that would save the biosphere" is only an endorsement of the thing if you think saving the biosphere is necessary and given that it's the same biosphere that made us and hosed itself in the first place I don't think that's true

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

It's always been like this! Nothing is wrong!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Puppy Burner posted:

It's very eco-fascist that 2 billion humans will be displaced or die in the next decade. I'm on the phone with the manager of the biosphere to file a complaint right now.

no it isn't. it's ecofascist to say that humans have to die to fix things. how the hell do you confuse those two things?

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

it's wonderful that we invented drones in time to capture the full beauty of our great common project. the 1000 year flooding there next year will be captured in even higher resolution.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Everyone has to die, it's kind of mandatory. That's why people should be not having kids and promoting not having kids to their friends and family

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Ugh there's microd&ds in my biosphere thread

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Idiots, build a dam. It only takes 3 turns by this era

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

:perfect:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

500excf type r posted:

Everyone has to die, it's kind of mandatory. That's why people should be not having kids and promoting not having kids to their friends and family

Yeah well promoting ANY sort of action requires a bare minimum of some sort of world left to care about.
"TOTAL DEATH" scenarios is just an escapist fantasy to not have to think about the real world after poo poo hits the fan.

I am very conscious when i bring up any doomer poo poo to others, to say that this will NOT be the end of the world. Because it makes people totally disengage.

It's the end of the current one, and the beginning of an era of untold misery and death.
There ARE and WILL still be decisions to be made which have moral value, they'll all just suck.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

poo poo like this makes scrolling through all the nonsense worth it

Cuttlefush posted:

no it isn't. it's ecofascist to say that humans have to die to fix things. how the hell do you confuse those two things?

speaking of nonsense check out this lib defending billionares and fossil fuel execs

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
Who gives a loving poo poo if it's ecofascist or "deep ecology" or whatever dumbass word people invented if it's point blank physics

The less people there are in existence the better the biosphere behaves. How is this not a fact? even if it doesn't "fix" climate change for the next 500 years. That only speaks to how hard we hosed things up that not even if we all just Jonestown'd ourselves would we fix any of this.

The implication that holding this belief must mean you are fascist because surely the means to "solve" that is to "kill a bunch of people" through necessarily fascist politics is just a leap purely for the sake of entertaining your DnD brain and argue about stupid bullshit for 3 pages

Take it from a moron, you're a loving moron

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

White Rock posted:

It's the end of the current one, and the beginning of an era of untold misery and death.
There ARE and WILL still be decisions to be made which have moral value, they'll all just suck.

and, in all probability, be made by the worst humanity has to offer

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

Because it's white first worlders who will be manning the guns and bombs to protect the imperial core and the insane consumption habits of Americans. Eco-fascism exists in your mind, the reality is regular fascism to keep this poo poo rolling at the expense of everyone else. Same as it ever was.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We can have all the humans we want, as long as they don't emit that much carbon and pollution.

Whether or not humans are at all willing to live like that when modernity is just sitting right there, is left as an exercise to the reader.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

CLIMATE CRINGE IS REAL AND IT IS IN THIS VERY THREAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What's that old stat, if everyone on earth lived like an American we would need 17 Earth's? I wonder what the 2023 number of Earth's would be