Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Scholtz posted:

It's ok; somebody got fired for that blunder (Virgil.)

Will explains the ropes to a new member of the team:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Who had the portrait of alan partridge?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jippa posted:

Who had the portrait of alan partridge?

No clue it was just by the same guy that did the boring as poo poo oil renderings of Crow and Charles Murray staring off into the distance or him hanging out with the worst people in the country in socks and sandals.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1645623950620106755?s=20

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Should have used this as the outro music for this ep: https://youtu.be/Mo-p6XOV-Yo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's very funny to me that Kass wrote a bunch of columns just whining, and whining and whining and whining, about his bitch wife and ungrateful children trying to save him from his own disgusting habits. And now he had to have quadruple bypass surgery. He's a walking experiment in how much bacon grease and whiskey a mammal can house without dying.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

i wonder if kass had heard the Chicago crowd go loving bonkers at his name if the cynicism and cholesterol circling his heart would clear for a moment and he'd finally be happy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Missed opportunity to point out that there was a literal Hapsburg in formula 3

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know who it is, but I'm sure that his heart is the size of a peppercorn and his head is full of water.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Excuse me, but this podcast "Chapo Trap House" already had an episode titled "Night at the Museum". It was episode 96, and it featured a reading series from Jay Nordlinger which caused much hilarity.

Thank you, I was going to have to look it up.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know who it is, but I'm sure that his heart is the size of a peppercorn and his head is full of water.

That's LMP2 2021 LeMans and WEC series champ Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen to you Sir!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that’s not a joke btw https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Habsburg_(racing_driver)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2eq-rpAUIw

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

One of the greatest stories ever honestly, showed it to my friends and they could barely believe it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

you picked a bad day to start poo poo with the tier 1 prius operator, son!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

This guy that Will RTed looks like Brian Peppers

https://twitter.com/gcaw/status/1646218275540414464

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/malonebarry/status/1646242181248581636

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The All Blacks will gladly come out and fight you like men. It's their whole deal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Show your wife how you won matches down in Auckland.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Black and tans wtf

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This recent revelation that Biden is one of those dudes who is so into being "Irish" that he won't attend the king's coronation is a lot of fun.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I can't really blame him for that. Who the hell wants to sit through that boring :decorum:fest?

The fact that royalty still exists in the 21st century is really bizarre to me. It's a relic of the Middle Ages that we just haven't seemed to get rid of.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

This recent revelation that Biden is one of those dudes who is so into being "Irish" that he won't attend the king's coronation is a lot of fun.

It would be cooler if he had just snubbed that radioactive little toad Sunak deliberately on the tarmac, but I give it 70/30 odds that Biden just saw an old guy with a more colorful uniform and went "Oh, so YOU must be the big kahuna here, right, Emperor?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

He saw a man with brown skin and assumed he was the concierge.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I can't really blame him for that. Who the hell wants to sit through that boring :decorum:fest?

They don't even cover the new King in whale intestines and cat piss anymore. What's the point?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The fact that royalty still exists in the 21st century is really bizarre to me. It's a relic of the Middle Ages that we just haven't seemed to get rid of.

See also: the catholic church

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I understand the monarchy as a bunch of mascots for the UK, and that seems fine. Here's the rich family we pretend is special. Throw them a parade when they come to your country. Oh, look, they're squabbling with each other. Isn't that fun?

The thing that seems real hosed up over there is they still have literal lords who get dispensation from the state to collect taxes on land and poo poo and a House of Lords that technically still has actual power over legislation and whatnot. That's real hosed up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

I understand the monarchy as a bunch of mascots for the UK, and that seems fine. Here's the rich family we pretend is special. Throw them a parade when they come to your country. Oh, look, they're squabbling with each other. Isn't that fun?

The thing that seems real hosed up over there is they still have literal lords who get dispensation from the state to collect taxes on land and poo poo and a House of Lords that technically still has actual power over legislation and whatnot. That's real hosed up.

I didn't know about that but it makes sense that the royals are a spectacle distracting people from that Robin Hood poo poo.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ken Klippenstein retweeted this Felix gem:

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1440089232630943750?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

It's actually a layer deeper than that, the Monarchs actually do have power over a lot in the UK, it's just the only things they care about are protecting their massive hidden piles of wealth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's actually a layer deeper than that, the Monarchs actually do have power over a lot in the UK, it's just the only things they care about are protecting their massive hidden piles of wealth.

They're the biggest of the landlords, right?

I know they have some powers left that are mostly ceremonial. The King COULD reject a prime minister, but it would probably swiftly be the end of the monarchy if he tried it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I know they have some powers left that are mostly ceremonial. The King COULD reject a prime minister, but it would probably swiftly be the end of the monarchy if he tried it.

In theory, but we're British so if the King just randomly decides he's in charge again most people would probably just accept it cos we're worms, like.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

PostNouveau posted:

Obama had actual reason to hate the British, since his granddad was tortured in British concentration camps. Yet it's the Plastic Paddy who seems to bear an actual grudge against the Brits.

PostNouveau posted:

The UK is one of about 5 countries that doesn't have an officially codified constitution. So the rules are a bit vague. There are some limits on the Crown's power based on treaties that were signed in the middle ages. But mostly it's a series of gentleman's agreements where people are allowed to have certain powers, but on the understanding that they never use that power. Whenever I ask what would happen if they did use these powers I'm always assured, "oh they would never do that." Also there are still a bunch of weird laws on the books from way back when, so the UK judicial system has adjusted to this by having it so that if a law hasn't been enforced in a while it can be ignored. So British law in general is a bit fuzzier than American law where things can still be decided based on where some guy in the 18th century put a comma. So in short, no one really knows how much power the crown actually has, including the king.

The closest thing to a real test of monarchical power in modern times was probably when the prime minister of Australia was fired in 1976. But even though it was the authority of the crown that allowed that to happen, the person who pulled the trigger was the governor general of Australia, and it's still debated exactly how much the palace was involved with that. The official explanation for why the monarch would never fire the prime minister is that parliament would never allow it, but if one half of parliament wants the prime minister fired anyway it gets a little hard to predict how parliament as a whole would react.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
The "bullshit games" line feels like it'll set some people off.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Obama had actual reason to hate the British, since his granddad was tortured in British concentration camps. Yet it's the Plastic Paddy who seems to bear an actual grudge against the Brits.

Obama’s only familial loyalty is to the CIA breeding program that created him.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Excellent ep today on the leaks, feinstein and katir porter. Especially funny given the forums connection and the Brown Moses ban

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The british monarchy absolutely refusing to flex nuts is the worst thing about it. Earn your keep and unilaterally play the role of "decider of last resort", like, the Queen should absolutely have waded into Brexit by flipping a coin and telling everyone to shut the hell up already it's done

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

shame on an IGA posted:

The british monarchy absolutely refusing to flex nuts is the worst thing about it. Earn your keep and unilaterally play the role of "decider of last resort", like, the Queen should absolutely have waded into Brexit by flipping a coin and telling everyone to shut the hell up already it's done

except for that one time Australia elected a prime minister who was acting a bit too left wing, that's what it takes to get them off their asses

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Felix was cogent and engaged for the whole episode. He bantered with the boys and joked about some obscure cultural references. This has been your Felix Report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

COPE 27 posted:

Felix was cogent and engaged for the whole episode. He bantered with the boys and joked about some obscure cultural references. This has been your Felix Report.

i sold him some narcan op