Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

mastershakeman posted:

this draft is so fun. the bears should get the #1 pick more often

totally agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

this draft is so fun. the bears should get the #1 pick more often

And it was fun rooting for them to get there. Especially with Lovie Smith's cameo as santa right at the end.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Danny LaFever posted:

I don't think it necessarily means they take a corner at 6. And I figured they'd take a corner for sure in the draft regardless of this trade.

This, maybe 18 instead of an offensive luxury pick. Or they could pull a jamo and move up a few spots for Porter Jr

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Most teams are likely to have 15-20 1st round grades so I'd imagine Detroit take the best player available at 6 since they don't have burning need and look to trade out of the first if no-one with a 1st round grade is available at 18

One of the advantages of a good free agency, they don't *have* to pick any particular position

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I thought Okudah had turned things around a bit in the back half of last season. Who am I actually thinking of?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

C-Euro posted:

I thought Okudah had turned things around a bit in the back half of last season. Who am I actually thinking of?

I'm not sure, but he started the year off promising and by the end of the year he was being benched.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So Falcons have to make a decision by beginning of May as to whether to pick up Okudah's 5th year option? Haha, good luck evaluating that and making a decision over the two busiest weeks of the year for GMs

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Most of the rest of the defense? Anzalone was fantastic on the back half.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Jerry Jacobs maybe? Okudah was the one who started out good and then fell off.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
John Kitna on playing under Mike Martz

https://twitter.com/BobbyBeltTX/status/1090711212021743617?t=BObAcQtuiWYbWntjGtjD6w&s=19

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mercenarynuker posted:

So Falcons have to make a decision by beginning of May as to whether to pick up Okudah's 5th year option? Haha, good luck evaluating that and making a decision over the two busiest weeks of the year for GMs

The Falcons have a ton of cap space, no good players to pay any time soon, and the 5th year option for corners is like $12m. It’s not exactly a crippling move if they decide to go ahead and pick it up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It sucks Martz was so loving rigid.

Dude was a really really good playcaller.

But he just could never adjust to not having perfect conditions for his grand master plan.

It always took a come to jesus moment with Lovie/Angelo to get him to call his non accessory to murder of Jay plays.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

C-Euro posted:

Okudah wasn't just Benched, he was demoted to special teams gunner.

Analzone, Jerry Jacobs, and Kerby Joseph all significantly improved from beginning to end.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrX7jQfjkCw

new propaganda just dropped.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
doing this mock draft really cheered me up about the bears' options. There's probably 7 guys I'd be happy with them taking at #9 - JSN, any of the top 3 LTs, the top RT, two of the top corners; and at least one of those players will be available. Then at the bottom of second round/top of third there's like two dozen fairly interchangeable offensive and defensive linemen to target with their 3 picks there. they can't miss! (they will miss)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

It does a great job of saying nothing, but still keeping me excited.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Hizawk posted:

Okudah wasn't just Benched, he was demoted to special teams gunner.

Analzone, Jerry Jacobs, and Kerby Joseph all significantly improved from beginning to end.

I might be misremembering but I feel like the defensive turnaround coincided with Okudah seeing less playing time and the demotion.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the turn around came when the injured guys came back and AG simplified somethings. Rookies showed their usual growth and it looked decent.

Okudah's best football was in that 1-6 period which is interesting.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My favorite part is the Caller ID that just says CALL FROM CAROLINA PANTHERS

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/1646498760552329217

Don't hate that.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They should like him

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Would be fun with hutch gimme all the sacks

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

When did "EDGE" become the preferred nomenclature over "defensive end?"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Timby posted:

It better clarifies DE and pass rushing OLB generally in a 3-4

It started like 4-5 years ago?

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Timby posted:

Cause it sounds cool

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

My main beef is that EDGE is written in ALL-CAPS while not being abbreviation like QB or OLB. Safety, punter, and kicker are also not written in all-caps.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OperaMouse posted:

My main beef is that EDGE is written in ALL-CAPS while not being abbreviation like QB or OLB. Safety, punter, and kicker are also not written in all-caps.

The standard should be ED (edge defender)(erectile dysfunction).

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

OperaMouse posted:

That just makes it cooler.

This trade is getting wild

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

This is a cheesy puff piece, but I do love that there's seemingly more transparency about things with the new leadership

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man I hope the Lions are good cause it is fuckin' tough in Detroit right now otherwise.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MJeff posted:

Man I hope the Lions are good cause it is fuckin' tough in Detroit right now otherwise.

I wish the Tigers well in this, The Detroit Lions Off Season.

year 10 of a 5 year rebuild!

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

MJeff posted:

Yeah, the Pistons are again godawful, the Wings briefly looked OK before limping to mediocrity by season's end, the Tigers are already shaping up to have the kind of season that franchise records are made of (and not good records)...

The hellworld we live in where the Lions of all teams are the only sign of hope right now.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
for your consideration: your Michigan Wolverines

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Seriously, Mich sports fans are fine. Titles in every sport, at least one pro/college team at all times doing well.

Now, Minnesota fans, there’s some legit suffering. At least their college hockey team did…. What’s that? quinnipiac? Isn’t that a marsupial?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abugadu posted:

Seriously, Mich sports fans are fine. Titles in every sport, at least one pro/college team at all times doing well.

Now, Minnesota fans, there’s some legit suffering. At least their college hockey team did…. What’s that? quinnipiac? Isn’t that a marsupial?

why must you hurt me

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Timby posted:

I think sometime in the last ~10 years when amateur/semiprofessional draft analysis became big business on the internet someone figured out that the terminology put together by glorified gym teachers over the last 100 years of the sport's evolution weren't properly descriptive enough to avoid confusion.

EDGE covers most DEs and 3-4 OLBs, but descriptively excludes DEs who line up and play more like defensive tackles(which is why I think IDL is good for interior players too).

OperaMouse posted:

You're lucky the acronym didn't catch on- EMLOS(End man on line of scrimmage) is what coaches will use sometimes.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Abugadu posted:

*gritting my teeth so hard the tendons on my neck stand out* It was....a fun season....after so many bad ones....even if....it didn't end up how we would have liked....

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Falconer posted:

Yeah, the Pistons are again godawful, the Wings briefly looked OK before limping to mediocrity by season's end, the Tigers are already shaping up to have the kind of season that franchise records are made of (and not good records)...

The hellworld we live in where the Lions of all teams are the only sign of hope right now.

The Tigers are absolute garbage, but I've got legit hope for the Pistons and Red Wings. I don't follow hockey super closely but I think Yzerman is a genius and will get us where we want to go eventually. I've been following the Pistons a lot more closely, and this was always going to be a tank season once Cade went down at the start. If we get Wembanyama or even Scoot or Miller, I think we could be a play-in team next season and be a legitimately good team in 2-3 years. The Cade/Ivey/Duran core is super promising.

Also, I'm not a Lions fan, but this is the first time in 30 years y'all look like actual contenders so you should really revel in that. As a Wolverines fan, the past couple of years have also been terrific on the football and hockey side (basketball not so much).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

for your consideration: your Michigan Wolverines

For half of us, Michigan being good makes things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Smoke green, snort white, can’t read can’t write :colbert: