Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Why does the national guard have an intel shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Okay, but a 21 year old is what, a corporal Intelligence Operator or a just graduated 2lt Int O?

Why would they even be read in on this stuff? Unless they were the ADC to someone in attendance?

e: Is Airman a one hook?

ee: "It was not immediately clear if a young Air National Guardsman in his position could have had access to such highly sensitive briefings. Officials within the U.S. government with security clearance often receive such documents through daily emails, one official told The Times, and those emails might then be automatically forwarded to other people."

???

i think he was just the discord admin

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lumpentroll posted:

i think he was just the discord admin

he was both the discord admin and the op

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

quote:

Members of Thug Shaker Central who spoke to The Times

reddit rear end war

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

It was not immediately clear if a young Air National Guardsman in his position could have had access to such highly sensitive briefings. Officials within the U.S. government with security clearance often receive such documents through daily emails, one official told The Times, and those emails might then be automatically forwarded to other people.

It sounds like just no cares about opsec either way.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm glad this nice young national guardsman has provided us with content in these trying times of Ukrainian Armed Forces refusing to march on Crimea.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

Hes legit a private lol

Why he has this stuff?

VIP transport section driver?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why does the national guard have an intel shop

lol

They have a high school co-op program. You see the teeny boppers cycle through the Intelligence School here every summer for their trades course.

Military reserve intelligence company in Ottawa searches for new part-time operators

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Apr 13, 2023

dk2m
May 6, 2009
what I don’t understand is why the NYT not only confirmed it’s veracity, the White House did as well, all before even knowing who/where this came from

that too, months after it was posted on Thug Shaker Central (lol)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

lol

They have a high school co-op program. You see the teeny boppers cycle through the Intelligence School here every summer for their trades course.

Time to go trash can fishing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dk2m posted:

what I don’t understand is why the NYT not only confirmed it’s veracity, the White House did as well, all before even knowing who/where this came from

that too, months after it was posted on Thug Shaker Central (lol)

That's the important part imo, and I think probably coincides with Ukraine being hosed

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I understand why people might want to get clout or feel special because "they know stuff".

But seriously, none of that poo poo matters. The slow grinding industrial war in Ukraine isn't going to tip over one way or another because of some revelation.

The only thing that can maybe make a difference is some shocking and unexpected political decision from the west.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
In one document, American intelligence officials say that Russia’s main domestic intelligence agency, the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B., has “accused” the country’s Defense Ministry “of obfuscating Russian casualties in Ukraine.” The finding highlights “the continuing reluctance of military officials to convey bad news up the chain of command,” they say.

:ironicat: maybe the fsb shouldnt have passed up extremely rosy assessments of how ukraine would give up in 3 days

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

New theory, the US purposely leaked the docs to remind vasal states they are listening and will sic their gladios unto them if they dont act accordingly

It’s funny how us Europeans think we’re not US vassal states when we stopped looking into who blew up Nord Stream for “some reason”.

If we only had some kind of clue…

quote:

WASHINGTON, Feb 7 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden on Monday warned that if Russia invades Ukraine, there would be no Nord Stream 2, but did not specify how he would go about ensuring the controversial pipeline would not be used.

Speaking at a joint news conference with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, Biden said, "If Russia invades... again, then there will be longer Nord Stream 2. We will bring an end to it."

When asked how he would do that, he responded, "I promise you we will be able to do it."

I guess we’ll never find out.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
This loser leaked all this poo poo and didnt leak anything juicy about nord stream

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lol they gave some dumbass 21 year old in the national guard sensitive information. That seems like everyone who signed off on that should be fired

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hedenius posted:

It’s funny how us Europeans think we’re not US vassal states when we stopped looking into who blew up Nord Stream for “some reason”.

If we only had some kind of clue…

I guess we’ll never find out.

Yeah, the pipeline tripped and fell down the stairs and landed on an explosive mine. Six times. In the back.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
they should be promoted

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hatebag posted:

Lol they gave some dumbass 21 year old in the national guard sensitive information. That seems like everyone who signed off on that should be fired

they should be promoted

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The only problem is that this guy gave us far too much content all at once so some stuff might get lost in the shuffle. Shoulda dripfed it to maximize the internet creds

dk2m
May 6, 2009
leaking state secrets to 20 people in my video game discord channel because Sephiroth007 keeps calling me homophobic slurs and refuses to read my carefully sourced war posts on ukraine

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

OctaMurk posted:

This loser leaked all this poo poo and didnt leak anything juicy about nord stream

The diver could post photos of planting the bombs to Discord and Germany will disparage the diver as a notorious troll.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

fits my needs posted:

they should be promoted

Cuttlefush posted:

they should be promoted

Many compelling arguments

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If he's National Guard, and you guys have the same rules, they have to give him the full-time pay and benefits for the entire duration of the trial because it counts as working.

It's why we let Reservists skate on minor things. As soon as the MPs process them, they're Class C, attached to the Regular Force.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Okay, but a 21 year old is what, a corporal Intelligence Operator or a just graduated 2lt Int O?

Why would they even be read in on this stuff? Unless they were the ADC to someone in attendance?

e: Is Airman a one hook?

ee: "It was not immediately clear if a young Air National Guardsman in his position could have had access to such highly sensitive briefings. Officials within the U.S. government with security clearance often receive such documents through daily emails, one official told The Times, and those emails might then be automatically forwarded to other people."

???

Our boat still used an old version of windows because just military things. IT div hadn't been able to figure out how to get the watch standing software to work with outlook while locking down permissions, so every single watch had an email account with admin access, which was just kind of not acknowledged and kept on the down low.

Before I joined as a mechanic, I had worked in IT since I was a huge nerd, and being bored on watch while underway, I start clicking around.

Turns out I, and by extension anyone at a computer used for uploading log entries, could just click over and read all the mail on the server, including the cos correspondence and everything coming through radio, which are all TS and compartmentalized from the rest of the boat.

Brought it up to the IT chief and he just told me to keep quiet because apparently there was no workaround.

Never escalated it because he was a good chief, but I can absolutely see someone just poking around finding a gaping hole.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

they should be promoted

They’ve shown initiative and it’s not like anyone else is steering this boat.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

tazjin posted:

South Africa is saying they'd probably have to enforce the ICC warrant against Putin if he went there for the BRICS summit, and they're "working on a solution". I find this surprising, I thought those were non-binding in any way. Somebody tugging hard on SA alignment? (source).

the country is currently facing 10 hour power cuts daily. As I am typing this there is a 4 hour loadshedding block coming up, a four hour gap, then another four hours of no power. It's hard to run a modern country with phased shutdowns of half the grid all the time.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

they should be promoted

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OctaMurk posted:

Hes legit a private lol

Why he has this stuff?

it is very possible that there is a long chain of fuckups here and private too online is just the fall guy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

it is very possible that there is a long chain of fuckups here and private too online is just the fall guy

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
So given that the leaker has no reason to be receiving these printed reports, can we say this leak was intentional from a higher level

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

AZ geopolitics was such a good source despite its propagandistic language im bummed theyre gone

Donbass Devushka posted:

📣☢️🧡✈️🌍🛰️📡 You may have noticed an increase in emoji usage. Please welcome AZ Geopolitics to the DD empire.
(from t.me/DDGeopolitics/54835, via tgsa)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm now totally convinced the leaks, intentional or not to start with, are the start of Ukraine getting cut loose. The NY times is what confirms it.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Also as punishment they should be promoted

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

So given that the leaker has no reason to be receiving these printed reports, can we say this leak was intentional from a higher level

It was on a table, and he stuck it in his pocket, most likely.

It almost always dumber than you can image, legit people drop thumb drives with TS info on them in the parking lot and lose them lol.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

I'm now totally convinced the leaks, intentional or not to start with, are the start of Ukraine getting cut loose. The NY times is what confirms it.

War really kills the mood for summer. Everybody not into the war on a tabloid gorn level is dog tired of big Z asking for more money and more weapons and not delivering the promised dividends

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So was it a national guard guy in active duty or was it like while doing drill? I can see a s2 guy go inside the SIPR room, downloading the info for a brief or whatever, giving the brief, leaving the papers end then at the end of the day private gently caress offs being ordered to clean the place right before dismissal

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1646556029180624897?s=20

:911:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Futanari Damacy posted:

No lol

Manning was a nobody who also got absolutely tons of stuff to leak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Before two person integrity was a thing, johnny walker was the biggest source of leaks thanks to being in a room alone with Intel and filling his backpack full everyday, we only know about this because he wanted his son in on the game, and that caused his wife to dime him out.

It's almost never James bond poo poo.