Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ref quick-counted Mad Catter :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Lockjaw still would have won on points anyway, but it's the principle of the thing. If it was Black Dragon, it would matter for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pulverizer >>> Chainsaw

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Bullshit! Doomba, time to use your appeal. Dragon King shoulda lost simply on the grounds of not being Doomba. Case closed :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There should be more jokebots tbh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

RBA Starblade posted:

There should be more jokebots tbh

Royale with Cheese never forget

and Axe Backwards

Lucky guy is :canada: to a tee

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 7, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Doomba vs Dragon definitely flashed me back to the era of Wacky Compasses and Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Streets. My childhood!

What a good episode. The fights that didn't have my cheeks clenched at the edge of my seat at least had me giggling like a kindergartener.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lock-jaw was lucky imo, Madcatter should have made mincemeat out of their wheels and rendered them helpless, they made a start on it but didn't finish the job. Such an obvious juicy target that another bot will surely feast upon. Will Bales is showing flashes of brilliance again with his performance against Claw Viper, showing everyone else how to defeat it.

This was a very funny moment just before Big Dill schooled Free Shipping. A reminder that battlebotters are nerrrrrrddds.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Will Bales continually being an incredible driver - dodging out of the way, and then drifting around to face them from the side

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Season 8 of Battlebots is confirmed now. Due to the F1 race, they either will be filming during the summer or in early 2024. https://battlebots.fandom.com/wiki/World_Championship_VIII

I haven't watched any of them yet, but here is also a list of twitch VODs from last weekends Robogames. https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/12ijqfj/robogames_2023_twitch_vod_timestamps/

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

As always Scorpios has a video covering some of the event with a few fights. A lot of Battlebot teams participated, but changed their bot names. Obviously some licensing / sponsorship issues most likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4icHJ-TD9s

Also found a YouTube channel with a bunch of the Robogames fights. This is a video between Manta which apparently got rejected by Battlebots, probably won't this year...

The event did also apparently have 2 arena breaches with parts going out of the box, I think both from Manta. The reddit link above has the full Twitch VOD of the event. Really makes you miss Battlebots and NHRL commentating teams though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKcnFidB5f4

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The epic triple post. This weeks fight card.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The epic triple post. This weeks fight card.

Looks like another good week.

Terrortops gonna annihilate Red Dragon 2.0

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Let's go Ripperoni! Double-fisting whole slices of pizza into my mouth
in anticipation of this match. Hell yeah

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Shredding Bro v. Overhaul: guys, someone has to win this fight, ok? You can't both lose, so figure your poo poo out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

Shredding Bro v. Overhaul: guys, someone has to win this fight, ok? You can't both lose, so figure your poo poo out.

In a battlebots first...

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Simultaneous KOs aren't that rare. Could totally see overhaul getting sucked into the backside of the bar, becoming stuck while simultaneously high centering shredbro.

I'm still a little surprised they let Pain-Train-with-the-numbers-filed-off have a third try. They seem to be having the same kinds of problems as before, like they've improved nothing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Royale with Cheese never forget

and Axe Backwards

Lucky guy is :canada: to a tee

Bring back Snake and Ginsu

Fake edit: Lmao, they brought back Ginsu for the Vegas show

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Slyphic posted:

Simultaneous KOs aren't that rare. Could totally see overhaul getting sucked into the backside of the bar, becoming stuck while simultaneously high centering shredbro.

I'm still a little surprised they let Pain-Train-with-the-numbers-filed-off have a third try. They seem to be having the same kinds of problems as before, like they've improved nothing.

They do well at NHRL, scaling up seems to be their struggle.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Makes me wonder...

If you made a list of all 'scaled up' bots, how many of them actually worked?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Railing Kill posted:

I would say that as bad a bot as Overhaul is, it mostly works as intended, its design just sucks. Shreddit Bro just breaks all the time. I'd give Overhaul the edge when Shreddit Bro collides with the side of the battlebox and falls apart.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

Makes me wonder...

Well, Riptide

I believe Tombstone is also a scaled up design? I think there is a 30 lb. version.

Edit: Yeah, they had a middleweight named The Mortician

https://battlebots.fandom.com/wiki/The_Mortician

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 12, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

I would say that as bad a bot as Overhaul is, it mostly works as intended, its design just sucks. Shreddit Bro just breaks all the time. I'd give Overhaul the edge when Shreddit Bro collides with the side of the battlebox and falls apart.

Yeah, I don't think Shreddit Bro can stay functional long enough to knock out Overhaul, so Overhaul is probably getting a KO win there.

Which would make Overhaul 2-2. Overhaul in the playoffs?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Scaling up bots seems dumb when rotational momentum at different weights cannot be compensated for in the same way.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Slyphic posted:

Makes me wonder...

Some have worked in the general sense of not falling apart and being able to give/take hits (SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) and others have worked very competitively (Sawblaze). Strategy can be very different between bigger arenas and smaller ones, especially since some small ones use pit hazards.

Tombstone has different sizes, including a bigger version than the current 250lb iirc. It's just an elegant, brutalist design.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'd say that the napkin math of how a battlebot does its thing can be scaled up (weapon style, overall geometry, drive arrangement), but the actual engineering is going to have to change a ton with the higher amount of energy involved. Way more force, speed, current, and so on... The team behind minotaur has a book and scaling up/down has its own section, IIRC.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Slyphic posted:

Makes me wonder...

Depending on how you define worked, quite a few. Huge, sawblaze, riptide, minotaur (sorta), and mammoth have all had varying levels of success.

Overhaul and mega tento both worked fine, though I'd hesitate to call either of them good. That's more due to the increased lethality between when they were designed vs when they were scaled.

There's things like smeeeee, starchild, or horizon that just don't seem to be (or aren't) working because tiny spinners don't work on things that can tank a hit from something like tombstone.

And then there's shreddit bro which has no concept level flaws but it's full of mechanical ones.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Great Beer posted:

Depending on how you define worked, quite a few. Huge, sawblaze, riptide, minotaur (sorta), and mammoth have all had varying levels of success.

Overhaul and mega tento both worked fine, though I'd hesitate to call either of them good. That's more due to the increased lethality between when they were designed vs when they were scaled.

There's things like smeeeee, starchild, or horizon that just don't seem to be (or aren't) working because tiny spinners don't work on things that can tank a hit from something like tombstone.

And then there's shreddit bro which has no concept level flaws but it's full of mechanical ones.

The big thing is that it's a much more direct effort to scale from 30lbs to 250lbs, Season 2 Bombshell was heavily based on my 30lb bot Nyx, and a lot of what I did with Nyx was pretty directly applicable to Bombshell. 3lbs to 250lbs is a lot more work to scale as there's a lot of little details that have to change. Another thing to keep in mind with Shreddit is that by the typical standard of scaling up bots, it's not even close to directly scaled. They've also built an entirely new bot each time, so each one has some pretty major risks for the new bot teething bugs that come with a fresh build. The other thing, if I recall the timeline right, is that the first Pain Train was built less than a year after Evan got started in robot combat. When you see a bot get scaled up and work right out of the gate it's often from a team that has a lot more experience.

Stepping back in time a bit to filming, where my thinking on Shreddit Bro was between the Lucky and Overhaul fights was that it was a bot with a lot of potential. All the pieces were there, when the weapon worked, it worked well. When the drive worked, it worked well. They just needed to get both cooperating at the same time. It's also been said before, but this isn't a situation where they've had months to test and tune. The teams have had between 1-2 days between fights at most, so what feels like weeks to improve is often hours at best.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Anyone who thinks Shreddit Bro is just Pain Train again is not paying attention. Shreddit Bro may have a lot more ground still to gain, but they're a VAST improvement over that team's last robot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Shreddit bro definitely CAN be good. They aren't yet but if they come back I think they can get the bugs sorted out. And as seen vs Overhaul they're well on their way.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Always got to give the rookie bots, even from seasoned teams, some benefit of the doubt. Robogames and Battlebots are pretty much the only 2 places where most teams can test their bots.

Maybe it will be a bit different for season 8 with Destructathon and having the Battlebox be operational for many months before filming (assuming they get the summer dates for filming season 8). If they wanted too they could allow teams to come out for a night / week of shows and actually be able to test out their designs before filming the season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Emulsifier-Quantum: Very impressive fight from Quantum. Going from crusher to grappler like it was nothing and dominating without teeth.

End Game-Gigabyte: Man I expected Gigabyte to put up more of a fight. Just complete domination from End Game.

Overhaul-Shreddit Bro: Good fight. I think the judges got it right but it was probably one of those 6-5 squeakers.

Rotator-Fusion: lol when Fusion starts crabwalking and Rotator is just like "I'm gonna sit here for a few and watch it catch fire". Reese always has a Rodney Dangerfield routine ready except he always seemed to be actually bummed out when he loses.

Skorpios-Ribbot: Seemed like editing mistakes in the pre-roll. I don't know what that red bot they kept showing was. Maybe it was an alt version of Skorpios?

Skorpios looked like the hammer saw was barely functional before they lose a chain.

Ribbot highest-seeded 1-3 team?

Dragon King-Terrortops: The exhibition championship! Time for Terrortops to face the secret endgame boss of the exhibition bracket: Rusty.

Copperhead-Ripperoni: Oh man, one driving mistake by Copperhead and it's all over. I think they had the advantage weapon-on-weapon because Ripperoni always goes flying from direct hits, but Copperhead tried to run away to spin up, showed them their backside, and got mega-punished for it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PostNouveau posted:

Emulsifier-Quantum: Very impressive fight from Quantum. Going from crusher to grappler like it was nothing and dominating without teeth.

End Game-Gigabyte: Man I expected Gigabyte to put up more of a fight. Just complete domination from End Game.

Overhaul-Shreddit Bro: Good fight. I think the judges got it right but it was probably one of those 6-5 squeakers.

Rotator-Fusion: lol when Fusion starts crabwalking and Rotator is just like "I'm gonna sit here for a few and watch it catch fire". Reese always has a Rodney Dangerfield routine ready except he always seemed to be actually bummed out when he loses.

Skorpios-Ribbot: Seemed like editing mistakes in the pre-roll. I don't know what that red bot they kept showing was. Maybe it was an alt version of Skorpios?

Skorpios looked like the hammer saw was barely functional before they lose a chain.

Ribbot highest-seeded 1-3 team?

Dragon King-Terrortops: The exhibition championship! Time for Terrortops to face the secret endgame boss of the exhibition bracket: Rusty.

Copperhead-Ripperoni: Oh man, one driving mistake by Copperhead and it's all over. I think they had the advantage weapon-on-weapon because Ripperoni always goes flying from direct hits, but Copperhead tried to run away to spin up, showed them their backside, and got mega-punished for it.

go ripperoni go :3:

The Copperhead captain did mention post-fight that they lost a lot of drive super early on, so they might have shown their back without realizing they didn't still have the maneuverability to get away with it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

go ripperoni go :3:

The Copperhead captain did mention post-fight that they lost a lot of drive super early on, so they might have shown their back without realizing they didn't still have the maneuverability to get away with it.

Ahhhhh, that would make a lot of sense. But, Ripperoni's driver did an amazing job of pouncing on them in that moment. That weapon spins up so goddamn fast that they have a huge advantage they can press in the initial exchange. A whole lot of top tier bots' first move is to run to the long side to get some weapon spin-up seconds (Copperhead and Witch Doctor come to mind. They almost never go head-on right out of the box). Getting a big shot in for free is a hell of a way to start a match.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was wondering why you don't see more treads in Battlebots

That's why :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Treads are for reducing ground pressure so you don't get bogged down on soft surfaces like dirt and sand. Not exactly useful on a hard metal floor.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

rarbatrol posted:

I'd say that the napkin math of how a battlebot does its thing can be scaled up (weapon style, overall geometry, drive arrangement), but the actual engineering is going to have to change a ton with the higher amount of energy involved. Way more force, speed, current, and so on... The team behind minotaur has a book and scaling up/down has its own section, IIRC.

I was wondering this with robots like gigabyte. given ziggo went far enough to win a lightweight championship back in the day does scaling up to 250 lbs mess with the forces that much?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I would definitely sign up for a combat robotics physics class.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

I would definitely sign up for a combat robotics physics class.

Even Isaac Newton himself couldn't explain the Mammoth-Huge fight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol there is an explanation for why one of these fights turned around in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

lol there is an explanation for why one of these fights turned around in the middle

Losing to Pain Train/Shreddit Bro might be a sign to pack it in