Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

No Wave posted:

You realize the current refund policy is very, very good for steam? This isnt a charity easy returns means more games I try means more purchases.
Well, sure, the actual policy here is quite nuanced. Steam is very well established, but things like their generous refund policy is what helps reenforce it (otherwise everyone would just buy stuff cheaper off GMG, etc., all the time). Part of that nuance is sending a reminder to folks about the intention of the refund policy when their return ratio creeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

No Wave posted:

You realize the current refund policy is very, very good for steam? This isnt a charity easy returns means more games I try means more purchases. The refund policy is one of steam's biggest draws.

Yeah that's the big reason I don't feel bad about it. I buy a ton of games I wouldn't otherwise because I'm not hesitant to give them a try.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No, they'd just change their refund policy because they have no obligation to the current one when someone pisses in the pool.

or they won't

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, sure, the actual policy here is quite nuanced. Steam is very well established, but things like their generous refund policy is what helps reenforce it (otherwise everyone would just buy stuff cheaper off GMG, etc., all the time). Part of that nuance is sending a reminder to folks about the intention of the refund policy when their return ratio creeps up.
So who's "pissing in the pool".

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

a lot of times i will specifically buy through steam rather than like greenman or humble or whatever because i know i can refund if necessary.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey gang, what's the best set of headphones I should get? I've had an awesome set for a few years but it finally needs replaced. It had (kindasorta) 5.1 surround!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

No Wave posted:

So who's "pissing in the pool".
People with high return ratios. Keep in mind though:
  • I'm not accusing anyone here of anything.
  • The argument "I buy way more games than I would otherwise knowing I can refund them if I don't like them" is totally fine if the practical result is you have a low return ratio. But if you say, return half the games you purchase, apparently Valve is no longer happy with your purchasing strategy.
I don't know what the exact return ratio limit is. I imagine they probably came up with a figure looking at the number of returns made by the 99% percentile of users and doubled that or something.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

credburn posted:

Hey gang, what's the best set of headphones I should get? I've had an awesome set for a few years but it finally needs replaced. It had (kindasorta) 5.1 surround!

the best is the sennheiser orpheus HE-1 ($55,000)

unless your price ceiling is lower than that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

People with high return ratios. Keep in mind though:
  • I'm not accusing anyone here of anything.
  • The argument "I buy way more games than I would otherwise knowing I can refund them if I don't like them" is totally fine if the practical result is you have a low return ratio. But if you say, return half the games you purchase, apparently Valve is no longer happy with your purchasing strategy.
I don't know what the exact return ratio limit is. I imagine they probably came up with a figure looking at the number of returns made by the 99% percentile of users and doubled that or something.
I return a third of my games and valve has never sent me an email. Valve isnt a person btw and I wouldnt conclude anything from a line of automated boilerplate that contradicts their website that doesnt actually lead to any action even after it's been sent 30+ times.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

credburn posted:

do you want a headset/mic combo or would you be fine with headphones and a separate mic? that changes your options significantly

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Even if I buy 100 games and return 99 of them, Valve would've still made a profit from that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Awesome! posted:

do you want a headset/mic combo or would you be fine with headphones and a separate mic? that changes your options significantly

Oh! I suppose it would be best to have a mic. I'm going to be using it for gaming, mostly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

credburn posted:

Oh! I suppose it would be best to have a mic. I'm going to be using it for gaming, mostly.

I've been using HyperX Cloud 2 for two years now and they have been great.
A detachable microphone has been very convenient too.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I remember there being a whole discussion back when the refund system was implemented, about how the devs/publishers are left on the hook for a certain percentage of the refund value that comes out to a bit more than they originally earned from the purchase. Which in most cases is kind of a drop in the bucket but I think there were a few outliers where refunds on small indie games were costing them significantly out of pocket and drove them off the platform altogether.

So I just try to avoid refunding smaller/cheaper games unless they leave a really bad taste in my mouth.

How 'bout that end of support for older Windows at the end of the year, though? My only way of using some of my games (and a couple DAW's and a video editor) is on a Win7 VM, so that's gonna go straight down the shitter. I was a bit miffed when XP support ended because I still have an old netbook, but apparently the number of people still running Steam on Win7/8 is more than their entire Linux userbase. That's gonna raise some hackles.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

credburn posted:

I love my Steelseries Arctis 9's. Great wireless quality with an included antenna for your PC so no audio delay but it can also do bluetooth at the same time which I've used to listen to podcasts/baseball/other from my phone while playing something on my PC. The newer ones look like they have better material for the ear cups too and also USB-C charging which mine did not come with.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the nicest gaming headset with mic right now is probably the audeze maxwell for $300

you haven't given a budget so it's hard to give specific recommendations

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

repiv posted:

the best is the sennheiser orpheus HE-1 ($55,000)

unless your price ceiling is lower than that

too much, what's good in the $54,000 range

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I use Soundcore Life Q30 ($79.99). They are good quality Bluetooth option, it has a built-in MIC but whenever I've tried using it on discord it mutes all audio while talking. Pretty weird but not a huge issue for me because I mainly play single player stuff.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bluetooth headphones always have at least a bit of latency, ideally for gaming you want something with a custom low-latency wireless implementation

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I love my Steelseries Arctis 9's. Great wireless quality with an included antenna for your PC so no audio delay but it can also do bluetooth at the same time which I've used to listen to podcasts/baseball/other from my phone while playing something on my PC. The newer ones look like they have better material for the ear cups too and also USB-C charging which mine did not come with.

I've been using a pair of Arctic 7's for like 5 years now and they're great. they still keep a charge for most of a day

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

credburn posted:

The first thing that always gives up the ghost on my headphones is the cord, so I went with a Bose pair several years ago that has a detachable cord. Good audio quality, comfortable, I think they were under $100, I've had to replace the cord 3 times and the ear cushions twice, but they're still going!

credburn posted:

Just bear in mind that a headset is, as a baseline, going to have worse sound quality and a lovely mic unless you get into a significantly higher price bracket. Good pair of headphones and a cheapass desktop mic will probably be cheaper and at least one of them might be decent quality.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

I've been using HyperX Cloud 2 for two years now and they have been great.
A detachable microphone has been very convenient too.

+1

:same:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A set of nice open-backed headphones in the 100-200 dollar range is excellent for gaming. The open-backed ones are really good at directional sound without resorting to software 5.1 trickery. They don't have RGB or neon colours which can be a positive or a negative depending on your preferences.

I've been using a set of Audio-Technica AD900s for a decade now, beats all the gaming headsets I've tried. I see they've updated the models, but they all still follow the ATH-ADxxx name format.

This is assuming you either have a decent mike or don't need voice chat.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
My refund rate is around 80-90% of ~150 games per year because I am interested in all kinds of games but I only ever want to actually play to finish only very few of them. I've only been doing this for around 2 years but since then this happened:

- the amount of money I spend on Steam increased 3-4 times
- I play and finish most of the games I end up keeping
- I started to prefer Steam to any other store

So I think from Valve's POV this is a clear improvement over how it used to be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve recently made the transition to these

EPOS Audio H6PRO Open Acoustic Gaming Headset (Racing Green) https://a.co/d/i7I6dE5

You can get them from the Amazon warehouse for $71 and they are quite frankly amazing at that price. The mic quality is fantastic and it’s also detachable.

It also has a removable cable.

I love them so much I bought a second pair for my Xbox and ps5.

I’m not sure they fit that well into the $160 price range but they are probably the best you’ll find for the under $100 range no question.

Seriously they are fantastic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordja posted:

Lol, the mark of quality.

I think epic exclusives are great, the dev gets money, they get to do a soft release and fix the bugs then release again on steam, and extremely whiny people get to complain because they don't want to push another button.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you dont like devs that do epic exclusives you dont like supergiant and that's not allowed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

No Wave posted:

If you dont like devs that do epic exclusives you dont like supergiant and that's not allowed.

Or Soren Johnson (Civ IV) and that's super not allowed

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Supergiant did it right they just took Epic's money and dodged the bad press because the game was in early access and did the real release on steam. Win win.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shrecknet posted:

Guys I am just too old to keep playing games. I haven't bought a game in a year and the last time I played anything that wasn't Drawful at a party was last August. I think it might be time to give up my Steam account.

10 years old, 400 games. Is there a secondary market for these things? I have no cards or TF2 hats worth mentioning, just a poo poo-ton of games.

I know actually selling steam accts is against the Valve ToS but we're all good at keeping :ssh: here, so thought I'd ask.

Nah, I'm probably going to ask people don't discuss selling Steam accounts itt. It's shady as hell.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
seems like something you should be allowed to do if we had any sensible digital rights

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Khanstant posted:

seems like something you should be allowed to do if we had any sensible digital rights

Yeah seriously. But no, everything is all hosed up instead.

I was happy to see the return of the cool bird.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Any dev going from an EGS early access release to a steam 1.0 release definitely needs to get the word out, put some juice in the engine to escape the marketing black hole

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh for sure, its not a freebie but it's definitely a second chance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Taking money from Sweeny is cool and good but what most devs don't realize is that EGS is a marketing black hole.
Your game might as well not have released if it's only available on EGS. You need to do marketing when it actually comes out on Steam or nobody will know that your game exists.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a difference between purchasing something you're expecting to like that turns out to not be what you expected, and purchasing something that you have no idea what to expect. In particular, if you do the former, you probably end up with a lot lower return ratio than if you do the latter, which I assume is the thing that triggered the message to begin with.

In defense of Valve, returns probably cost them money in some form they just eat--whether they pay the developers either way, or its merchant fees, or whatever, so making frequent returns is a revenue loss for them. And sure, "Valve is big and has plenty of money" (although not actually as big as Apple/Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony), but they also have the best return policy in the business so it's a fair they request that you don't "abuse" it.

Generally any large scale digital billing service that saves your payment information is being run through your bank as renewing subscription billing, which gives the merchant the ability to make changes to payments without incurring penalties or meaningful fees. This is also what allows services like Uber or door dash to adjust your payment and charge a different amount than what was outlined upfront (e.g. adding a tip). As far as your bank is concerned, these refunds are the same thing as you cancelling an unwanted autorenewal, which they don't penalize anyone for. Most payment gateways (e.g. Square) also do not hold transaction fees on refunded payments anymore these days, but the worst-case scenario is that Valve is out 30 cents and potentially up to ~1.5% of the transaction (unlikely) on each refund. I've spent like a decade working on the billing and ecommerce end of large tech startups and I've processed a ton of these types of refunds manually.

Last time I googled it, I found a bunch of results that said devs are not penalized by Valve at all for refunds but I couldn't find hard proof either way, like an official statement by Valve :shrug:

I refund 90% of what I purchase on steam and the ability to do that is the only reason I'm willing to take a chance on games these days so I think Valve is happy with it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 13, 2023

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

bbcisdabomb posted:

I haven't played for a few months but I seem to recall multiplayer is friends only, no randos.

I'll gladly pay for Powerwash DLC to support more powerwashing in the future. Washer go fsssssssssssssshh

Steam wise mindustry can be played with randos. Even technically has pvp maps. Note I do not recommend these pvp maps. And server settings can screw up playing with randos if you have the entire tech tree unlocked and they are bashing conveyers together...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to raising my Gear Score in Rocksteady Studios's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League(tm) coming out May 26th, pre-order now.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to raising my Gear Score in Rocksteady Studios's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League(tm) coming out May 26th later this year, pre-order now.

https://twitter.com/suicidesquadRS/status/1646593761022038017

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to raising my Gear Score in Rocksteady Studios's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League(tm) coming out May 26th later this year February 2nd, pre-order now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sebmojo posted:

I think epic exclusives are great, the dev gets money, they get to do a soft release and fix the bugs then release again on steam, and extremely whiny people get to complain because they don't want to push another button.

Their early exclusives were good games, your Hades, your Controls, etc. But now outside of indies it's stuff like Saints Row and Crime Boss: Rockay City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

game gonna be bad