Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Bloody posted:

I am doing my first big multinight backpacking trip this summer and I'm starting to plan my gear for it. I've done a decent number of overnights and at least packed for a two-nighter that we had to bail out of due to wildfires, but this will be a 4 night/5 day guided expedition in Alaska. I think right now I'm mostly trying to get a handle on how much of stuff vs what specific stuff to bring; every trip I've done it's been totally reasonable to just pack a fresh set of camp clothes and next day clothes and not really think about it, but that obviously only works for very short trips. I think I'm packing/bringing: 2x pair hiking socks; 1x pair hiking pants; 2x? pair hiking underwear; 1 base layer shirt; maybe a pair of long underwear?; 1 outer shirt; 1 light down jacket; 1 rain shell jacket; 1 rain shell pants; 1 broad brimmed hat. For at camp, I think I'm also bringing 1x pair of campsite underwear; 1x pair of cozy socks; 1x warm hat; 1x pair of tevas; maybe a campsite shirt? god that's a lot of stuff once its written out. at least its mostly packed by Wearing It, I suppose

I've never been to Alaska (some day...), but I've heard horrifying things about the mosquitoes. You might ask your guide what to expect in your area and time of year.

I really hate mosquitoes, so that would definitely make me lean more toward long sleeve shirts covered in permathrin (sun shirts or similarly breathable if it'll be warm). And a head net, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mosquitoes up there are bad but I don't feel like they're worse than mosquitoes anywhere in the lower 48. I guess the main difference is heat, if you can be out in the open on a hot summer day that tends to suppress mosquitoes and it generally doesn't get that hot in Alaska.

But step into the trees? The swarms are just as bad in the midwest as they are on the Kenai peninsula.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

When is the Alaska trip? There’s no mosquitoes in the Great Lakes right now and won’t be for roughly a month. I’d think there’s a week or two buffer between Alaska and here, bug-wise.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

Mosquitoes up there are bad but I don't feel like they're worse than mosquitoes anywhere in the lower 48. I guess the main difference is heat, if you can be out in the open on a hot summer day that tends to suppress mosquitoes and it generally doesn't get that hot in Alaska.

But step into the trees? The swarms are just as bad in the midwest as they are on the Kenai peninsula.
In most of California mosquito season is about two weeks unless you happen to be camping in a riparian area.

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022

Bloody posted:

I am doing my first big multinight backpacking trip this summer and I'm starting to plan my gear for it. I've done a decent number of overnights and at least packed for a two-nighter that we had to bail out of due to wildfires, but this will be a 4 night/5 day guided expedition in Alaska. I think right now I'm mostly trying to get a handle on how much of stuff vs what specific stuff to bring; every trip I've done it's been totally reasonable to just pack a fresh set of camp clothes and next day clothes and not really think about it, but that obviously only works for very short trips. I think I'm packing/bringing: 2x pair hiking socks; 1x pair hiking pants; 2x? pair hiking underwear; 1 base layer shirt; maybe a pair of long underwear?; 1 outer shirt; 1 light down jacket; 1 rain shell jacket; 1 rain shell pants; 1 broad brimmed hat. For at camp, I think I'm also bringing 1x pair of campsite underwear; 1x pair of cozy socks; 1x warm hat; 1x pair of tevas; maybe a campsite shirt? god that's a lot of stuff once its written out. at least its mostly packed by Wearing It, I suppose

I live in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. It's a pretty big state so conditions can vary depending on where you're going. Verman's got the right idea though. If you can swing it, I'd definitely recommend investing in light weight merino wool base layers, underwear, and socks. I also have some merino wool tees from Varusteleka that I bought a few years ago and they're great for summer camping. There is absolutely nothing worse than wet feet so I'd probably bring at least three pairs of good hiking socks but that's a personal preference on my end. Tevas might not be a great pick for a camp shoe as the bugs can be vicious here like others have mentioned (there's not just mosquitoes but white socks which are equally as annoying). I would HIGHLY recommend bringing a bug head net. Also, if you're sensitive to light, I'd bring an eye mask since it doesn't exactly get dark during the summer months.

They're forecasting an El Nino summer so it's supposedly going to be dry and warm which means another summer of wildfires. But I'd still pack for the rain and cooler weather since you never know (and, again, it really depends on where in the state you're going).

Edited to add: Liner gloves might be a good idea for the evenings and bug prevention.

As an Empath... fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 13, 2023

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We'll be in Lake Clark NP in mid-July and I'm kinda just assuming the bugs will be horrendous. Fortunately I already have most of the pieces of gear, it's in part just a matter of whittling down the favorite pieces to commit to for multiple days. Definitely already have the most important bits, like favorite socks, all squared away. I'm thinking about trying out the brynje thermal tops/bottoms here Soon to see how I like those - anyone have experience with them?

Looks like white socks are another name for blackflies? I grew up spending summers in the adirondacks so I'm certainly no stranger to these various menaces :)

liner gloves is a great thought, was kinda forgetting about that entirely

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022
Hope you have the best time! :) Are you stopping by Dick Proenneke's cabin?

I think your list looks solid for Lake Clark. If it was me, I'd probably bring a fleece pullover like a Patagonia Snap-T but I tend to get cold at night. I usually use one of those or my Nano Puff when we're hanging around camp (it might be redundant if you're already bringing a light down jacket and trying to cut down on the amount of gear you're carrying). I'd say this area of the state is pretty temperate. During normal summers, it generally stays in the 60s during the day and will dip into the 50s/high 40s at night. Like I said earlier, they're forecasting a dry, warm summer so who knows how that will play out. Last year it was hot (in the 80s) and dry for the first half of the summer and then turned to endless rain for the second part. Anchorage has a decent sized REI if you forget anything and need to pick something up. Soldotna/Kenai and Homer also have a places where you can pick up gear but it's a bit more limited.

White socks are little bitey black flies and they suck. As do Noseeums (even smaller bitey flies). I've had good luck using Picaridin as an insect repellant.

Again, have a blast.

Another thought just popped into my mind, I'm assuming whatever guide service you're going with will provide bear spray (I'd be surprised if they didn't). On the off chance that they don't and you'd like to carry it, I'd try to get ahold of it while you're in Anchorage. I'm not sure what the situation is like in Soldotna/Kenai but smaller towns like Homer have temporarily run out during peak season. Can't get it via Amazon either since it's haz-mat and there's no two day shipping up here. Figured I'd mention it just in case!

As an Empath... fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 14, 2023

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yep, the cabin is on our route, and I'm super excited for it! fortunately the guides carry (and maybe even distribute?) bear spray, but we're going to be in the state for a month+, so we'll definitely be picking some up for ourselves

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got this yesterday and set it up.

Pros:
Crazy easy to setup. I did it myself with no instructions in like no time.
It seems super waterproof. Like it's not normal tent material. Or is life rubber coated or something.
Temp control. With all the black panels zipped it gets warm. But basically every wall zips open to a mesh panel.

Cons:
There were three little holes in the material. It came with a tarp patch kit, but that's lovely for a brand new tent.
Zippers: they remind me of the old sleeping bag zippers that sucked when I was a kid.
The tub is like that cheap tarp material. I don't know if that's good, but it doesn't seem like it.

Over all for $80 I'm happy with it. If it lasts me this season it'll be worth it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I finally went to REI to try to replace my beloved Vasques. The lady there told me that someone bought Vasque and they aren't carrying them these days. After trying a pair of Salomons that rubbed my ankle -- a shame, I have a pair of different Salomons for winter weather that I love -- I picked up a pair of Oboz that fit great, and which happened to be on sale, so even better. I wish I liked the look better, but they are fine. Hopefully I will like them as much as the Vasques, which are probably my favorite shoes of any kind that I've ever owned.

While I was there I also picked up an Osprey Daylite Plus that I am very pumped to use. The build quality and fit and finish seem really nice, and I am kind of regretting not going for the Osprey duffel when I bought the Backcountry one, although I also have yet to actually put anything in this pack or take it anywhere, so I guess I'll see how I feel after I do that. I needed a new daypack anyway -- mine are mostly mysteriously missing, other than a little tiny free one I got from the bank, and none of mine were ever really great anyway. I used to hike a lot with the Boy Scouts and then I got old, but I have been wanting to get back to it, and construction-wise, it seems like a good fit for both hiking and day-to-day use. It will get broken in very gently -- comically gently, some might say, if they wanted to be unkind -- as I go for like 0.75 mile walks with my 4 year old, but I hope to get some longer hikes in in the near future and hopefully instill a love of hiking in the kiddo. Pack-wise, I am most excited about the ventilated back, which I hope will save me from Swamp Back, and this will also be the first pack of any kind I've owned with water bottle pockets. I am sure most of the technical features of this thing will be lost on me, but honestly, it isn't all that much more than, like, an Eastpak, if they still make those. I'm not looking to hike the AT or anything, but I miss doing stuff like Old Rag, although again, I am old. I also bought a cheap REI raincover, which I don't know if I will ever need, but if I'm gonna be carrying stuff like lunch and a first aid kit, it'd be nice if the contents of my bag didn't get totally soaked if it rains. As far as I can tell the REI cover is basically the same as the Osprey branded one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried on some Oboz last time I was buying and I really wanted to like them but they really do not make a boot for people with wide feet. Even their "wide" version was like stuffing my foot into a vice.

Liked everything about the product though, and their reviews are pretty good too.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bloody posted:

We'll be in Lake Clark NP in mid-July and I'm kinda just assuming the bugs will be horrendous. Fortunately I already have most of the pieces of gear, it's in part just a matter of whittling down the favorite pieces to commit to for multiple days. Definitely already have the most important bits, like favorite socks, all squared away. I'm thinking about trying out the brynje thermal tops/bottoms here Soon to see how I like those - anyone have experience with them?

Looks like white socks are another name for blackflies? I grew up spending summers in the adirondacks so I'm certainly no stranger to these various menaces :)

liner gloves is a great thought, was kinda forgetting about that entirely

Just my own two cents, but I generally opt to have 1 hiking/trail outfit, and 1 sleep clothes set on my longer hikes, with maybe an extra pair of socks and underwear just in case things get soaked. Everyone will smell anyway and this method saves a lot of weight and bulk.

The bugs there in July will be bad. Definitely treat your clothes with premithren if you can. I'd also advocate for a buff thats treated and some thin fishing/sun gloves for protection. If its a little breezy there that will help too.

I have a set of Brynje base layers and they are worth their weight in gold! For me though I only use them on winter trips. They breathe extraordinarily well and yet still keep you plenty warm, but in warmer seasons they're overkill. Otherwise I opt for a pair of cheap Costco 32 Heat synthetic base layers.

guppy posted:

I finally went to REI to try to replace my beloved Vasques. The lady there told me that someone bought Vasque and they aren't carrying them these days. After trying a pair of Salomons that rubbed my ankle -- a shame, I have a pair of different Salomons for winter weather that I love -- I picked up a pair of Oboz that fit great, and which happened to be on sale, so even better. I wish I liked the look better, but they are fine. Hopefully I will like them as much as the Vasques, which are probably my favorite shoes of any kind that I've ever owned.

Red Wing Boots owns Vasque as of 4-5 years ago I think.

I just went through a shoe replacement odyssey as I got tired of wearing through my old man new balances once a year. Opted for an old favorite I hadnt worn in years and got a new pair of Merrell Moab non waterproof low tops. Hoping they hold up at least two years but we shall see.

While im on a gear kick. I have just about every piece of gear imaginable that someone could need. But I never had a dedicated hammock camping table until now!

Will see how this holds up and if I actually get any use out of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

and got a new pair of Merrell Moab non waterproof low tops.

I've championed the Moabs in here for about as long as I've been posting in here and they're a great daily shoe. They last about two years for me, and it's usually the rubber on top of the toe that cracks and hints it's time for a new pair.

But I've come to the opinion they're a bad hiking shoe, they're too hot in the summer (unless you wear insanely thin socks), low tops are bad in the snow and in wet seasons once they soak through they will never dry. Just doesn't feel like there's any conditions where they're a clear standout. The vibram sole and foot support is fantastic, if I do take them hiking I've never had a shoe that felt more confident. It's like you're spiderman.. with swampy feet.

Oh and sometimes the plastic lace holes at the top will shred the casing on your laces, which kinda sucks.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If im on a planned hike I'll be wearing my La Sportiva Wildcats, or winter boots of some variety, or mayber my old Danner leather boots. Really just hoping these last two years for the walking around town, oh hey lets go off the paved trail to geocache, or chase my kid around the beach, etc. Sounds like the durability for that use case should be good.

Also I think you're a fellow midwesterner. If you're ever up in northern MN and want to do a day hike, or just stop along on your way to the Boundary Waters send me a pm!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Red Wing Boots owns Vasque as of 4-5 years ago I think.

Redwing owned Vasque 20 years ago iirc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also I think you're a fellow midwesterner. If you're ever up in northern MN and want to do a day hike, or just stop along on your way to the Boundary Waters send me a pm!

Former midwesterner now.. we moved to Colorado this year. I already miss MN and WI, I loved the north shore in the winter and fall in Wisconsin was great.

But I also dig the mountains. I just wanna have every nature type within a couple hours.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
My local store finally got a pair of shoes for me! Tried on almost everything they had and ordered in sizes to try.
Been having problems with my current Salomon runners shoes and I ended up with a pair of Oboz Sawtooth. Feels great and snug in the heel and lots of room around me previously cramped big toes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

xzzy posted:

I tried on some Oboz last time I was buying and I really wanted to like them but they really do not make a boot for people with wide feet. Even their "wide" version was like stuffing my foot into a vice.

Liked everything about the product though, and their reviews are pretty good too.

Supposedly the 2022 Sawtooth refresh made their wide shoes a proper wide, like they measure out properly: https://hikingfeet.com/oboz-sawtooth-x-low-review/ So if it didn't work for you before, it might now. I never wore them before and I don't wear a wide, so I don't have any firsthand experience.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I just got a 3D printer, is there any camping/hiking/kayaking prints i should try out?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Lucky! I still need to get a piece of pigeonite from that area at some point.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RodShaft posted:

I just got a 3D printer, is there any camping/hiking/kayaking prints i should try out?

A lot of people make tarp toggles, or stake pushers that Ive seen.

AKZ posted:

Lucky! I still need to get a piece of pigeonite from that area at some point.

Ive never been there yet! Lot of time in the BWCA but not as much up near the border and Grand Portage.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I printed a bunch of emergency whistles and stuck them in all my packs, PFDs, etc.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2933021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd probably make custom hooks for hanging things. Actually, I have access to a printer. I should try it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I washed my Kelty Cosmic Down bag and I loving cannot get clumps of the down to 1) declump or 2) dry. It is maddening. I don't want to throw it in the dryer fifty times, and honestly I doubt it'd help. It's been in the dryer a handful of times already, and it's done basically nothing. I've been hang drying it and trying to work out the clumps occasionally but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dick Burglar posted:

I washed my Kelty Cosmic Down bag and I loving cannot get clumps of the down to 1) declump or 2) dry. It is maddening. I don't want to throw it in the dryer fifty times, and honestly I doubt it'd help. I've been hang drying it and trying to work out the clumps occasionally but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

the one time I heard of someone fixing this, they used some tennis balls in the dryer with the bag, and presumably spent a couple hours out of the house because it's gonna sound like tennis balls in the dryer lol

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, I saw that trick suggested. Problem is, I don't have any tennis balls that weren't used to play tennis with, and I don't want to subject my freshly-cleaned sleeping bag to several dirty-rear end tennis balls.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It works. You can also get wool dryer balls online, and you can also also do it at a laundromat if you need a bigger machine. I've never run a sleeping bag in my machine with tennis balls, but I've run a number of down jackets and they fluff up really well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

you could just ball up some socks or put the balls in socks

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I tried it with a pair of wool dryer balls, actually. Didn't seem to do much. Guess I'll give it another go on air dry.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I recently got the 6 person version of that for camping and now I wonder if I should have just gone for the 10 person version even though it would be kind of absurd for one person, lol

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

mystes posted:

I recently got the 6 person version of that for camping and now I wonder if I should have just gone for the 10 person version even though it would be kind of absurd for one person, lol

It's really big. Like hilariously big. I'm used to backpacking tho and at most sharing a 4p tent with my son. So it's comical to me.

That's him STANDING UP IN THE DOORWAY!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's reasonable with 2+ people car camping because there's really no downside to a bigger tent (it's really different from backpacking in that sense)

For 1 person I guess it might almost make sense for like a week in variable weather conditions where I might be stuck in the tent for a day but I've just been camping overnight and I would just skip it if the weather looked iffy so it would be ridiculously overkill

(Also the one problem with this type of design seems to be that the small rain fly might not be enough to keep water off the sides in heavy/sustained rain. I figure with the 6p design I could probably put a tarp over it or something if necessary but I think that would be harder with the enormous 10p version)

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 22, 2023

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

That particular one is their blackout or whatever, and the sides are like rubber feeling. I'm pretty sure it's way more waterproof than a silicone sprayed tent. I've yet to try it though

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

I washed my Kelty Cosmic Down bag and I loving cannot get clumps of the down to 1) declump or 2) dry. It is maddening. I don't want to throw it in the dryer fifty times, and honestly I doubt it'd help. It's been in the dryer a handful of times already, and it's done basically nothing. I've been hang drying it and trying to work out the clumps occasionally but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

How long have you had it in the dryer? It takes for loving forever no matter what else you do. Last time I washed sleeping bags I went to a laundromat to dry them because I didn't have a dryer in my apartment, and even in the biggest commercial dryer there it took > 2 hours. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure the small dryer I currently have would be up to the task...

The tennis ball trick really works, and tennis balls are cheap so maybe just get some new ones idk

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Either tennis balls or wool balls. I used 6 or so when I washed my bag last time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Going and getting can of tennis balls is pretty affordable as far as camping gear goes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Kiddo made a 1.75 mile hike this morning without any complaint -- well, without any complaint about the distance -- which is much better than I expected. Now, if I can only get her to walk continuously instead of stopping every little bit to eat one (1) peanut butter cracker.

I have almost no athletic socks these days and I ordered myself one six-pack of basic white tube socks and one pair of Darn Tough hiking socks. The tube socks are still in the mail, they're mostly what I hiked in as a kid, but the Darn Tough socks are here and I used them. They were fine. This was obviously a very short hike, but I plan to do longer ones as I get back into it. The Darn Tough ones are obviously quite expensive, something like $24 for a pair, vs. $15 for six pairs of basic athletic socks. I'm aware of the guarantee, which is obviously one difference, but beyond that, are they worth it for functional reasons? Worth it but only if you are doing some seriously hardcore hiking/backpacking? Not worth it at all? $24 is a lot for one pair of socks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Darn Tough socks are amazing, the only socks I own anymore are 6 different types of pairs of darn toughs, bought over as many years. If you let them air out for at least a day between wearings they will easily go several wearings between washing.

Every summer when sandal season hits I take the opportunity to send in any pairs with a hole or even with a thin spot, and get them replaced for free. The guarantee really works!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Darn tough are the best socks and worth their price. They will replace any sock you destroy no questions asked. They are expensive but you'll find most people here sing their praises because they're solid. They're more durable than smartwool and pill up less for the same price.

Costco has Merino wool socks for like (6pack for $20?). REI also has good socks that they run on sale. When looking for wool socks, Merino is usually what I look for as it's the softest against the skin.

Wool socks are the way to go for anything active, especially hiking. Even if it's not a terribly long hike, your feet still sweat and can get wet. Wool breathes the best keeping your feet drier, and resists odors. Long days on your feet, in your shoes? Wool socks 100%. Vary the thickness depending on the climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I've never tried Darn Tough, but I think merino wool socks are definitely worth it. I have several pairs of Cloudline socks because I was gifted a set one year, liked them, and bought a bunch more. They run a little cheaper than Darn Tough and go on sale often enough. Could check out Smartwool as well.