Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

It seems that the Washington Post has more or less tracked down the guy responsible for the Discord leaks, and he is just about the gooniest sunnovabitch you ever read about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/04/12/discord-leaked-documents/

Man this could not get any stupider

HonorableTB posted:

I checked my mail.ru and lmao I have a mobilization order too. I haven't lived in Russia in 11 years. I'm not even Russian. Good luck with that

Lmao. My cup runneth over

Also, post the email pls

And now, it DOES get stupider!

B-Rock452 posted:

Over the next few days quite a few parents are about to find out their kids are absolute racist morons.

And the vast majority will either not care or actively approve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Jonny Nox posted:

Russia has already shot down an airliner full of civilians during this invasion. Sinking the Lusitania is only an issue when someone wants it to be an issue.

They also shot at merchant ships, iirc.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

30 people is not even a factor in considering poo poo if you are discussing a Nato member and/or nuclear armed power entering war with another one.

If they kept doing it, maybe. But a one off is going to get descalated and ignored because no one wants to push the button because a spy plane got shot down.

I get where you are coming from but you're going a bit too far. 30 British citizens/soldiers dying at Russian hands would be a big, BIG deal. Yes it probably wouldn't start active military hostilities between Russia and NATO, but it would mark an enormous change in so many ways.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Play posted:

"It can always get stupider" is an universal constant.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
More sanctions and longer range missiles would of been the outcome of downing a UK spy plane on a one off incident. It might also be the push to yoink houses in London too.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
"There is always more, and it is always worse" was the old motto from Freep.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Look on the bright side, Jack, everyone on Discord knows for sure just how LEGIT you are now, lol!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm not saying shooting down the airplane directly goes from shoot plane -> nukes. There would be many steps of further escalation in between but the act itself of deliberately targeting and shooting down a NATO military plane would be the catalyst needed to make those escalation steps not just possible but likely. That would demand a response of some kind.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Also pretty funny that apparently the enormous US intelligence apparatus was too busy circle jerking itself and needed Bellingcat's help to find this guy.

Bellingcat which effectively started on this very forum, lol that owns

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Rust Martialis posted:

"There is always more, and it is always worse" was the old motto from Freep.

I thought it was the motto that the D&D Freep thread had when referring to Freep and its content.

Burns
May 10, 2008

It is only a matter of time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Play posted:

Also pretty funny that apparently the enormous US intelligence apparatus was too busy circle jerking itself and needed Bellingcat's help to find this guy.

Otoh, so did 4chan

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
both the criminals and the investigators, then

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not saying shooting down the airplane directly goes from shoot plane -> nukes. There would be many steps of further escalation in between but the act itself of deliberately targeting and shooting down a NATO military plane would be the catalyst needed to make those escalation steps not just possible but likely. That would demand a response of some kind.

Your own post and the NYT article points out it was a pilot gently caress up and not an overall standing order engage Nato planes.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Play posted:

So within the US military intelligence community is there just one folder on a network drive with all secret and top secret documents in it? It sure seems that way. Why would a Massachusetts Air National Guardsman need access to top secret documents on the war in Ukraine? He's in Massachusetts and in the Air National Guard.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DiomedesGodshill posted:

So within the US military intelligence community is there just one folder on a network drive with all secret and top secret documents in it? It sure seems that way. Why would a Massachusetts Air National Guardsman need access to top secret documents on the war in Ukraine? He's in Massachusetts and in the Air National Guard.

Secret_docs.rar

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Your own post and the NYT article points out it was a pilot gently caress up and not an overall standing order engage Nato planes.

Yes, a stupid and mistaken act of war is still an act of war regardless. Intent matters but if your fuckup produces 30 corpses and a destroyed surveillance plane in international waters that demands a response of some sort. A standing order to engage NATO planes is a constructed strawman and wars have been started on far less. It depends on how willing the parties are to go to war and one of the belligerent nations in this war has consistently been yelling about how theyre fighting NATO. This is not a hard leap to make that when your whole country's propaganda machine is focused on NATO fighting you that a pilot gets stupid and tries to shoot a NATO craft out of the sky because your idiot pilot misinterpreted the radar controller's instructions

E: pre-emptively addressing that shooting down KAL 007 in Soviet restricted airspace and Girkin ordering the shootdown of MH 17 in 2014 are both as fundamentally different situations from each other as they both are from shooting down a manned NATO surveillance plane in international waters because your pilot's a dumbass

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 13, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Play posted:

"But wait, it gets worse!" is a very useful phrase to remember.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"But wait, it gets worse!" is a very useful phrase to remember.

Oh, another scholar on the history of the Kingdom of Rus, and the following centuries.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I heard it was photos of crumbled up pages. Like someone got papers, stuffed them into a pocket, took photos. I don't know if that's true at all, but that's what I'm hearing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I thought it was the motto that the D&D Freep thread had when referring to Freep and its content.

That's what op means. I used to love that thread, so I'm well aware of the concept and its objective truth

spankmeister posted:

Otoh, so did 4chan

Yeah swing and a miss there but you can't put all of them over the fence

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

There is always more, and it is always stupider.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

fuckin lol

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I heard it was photos of crumbled up pages. Like someone got papers, stuffed them into a pocket, took photos. I don't know if that's true at all, but that's what I'm hearing.

One article (I think it was the WaPo) said he at first would transcribe the top secret documents to sneak the intel out. As time progressed he got lazy and started taking pictures of the documents instead.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

in 1983 the russians shot down an airliner which had a sitting US representative on it. ww3 didn't happen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007

DiomedesGodshill posted:

One article (I think it was the WaPo) said he at first would transcribe the top secret documents to sneak the intel out. As time progressed he got lazy and started taking pictures of the documents instead.

yeah - he couldn't take his camera into the SCIF, so he just printed out the docs and photographed them in his bedroom

sucks to be anyone who needs to print something out in a SCIF because im sure they yanked every single printer out of all of them, yesterday

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lol the chud conspiracy brigade already out there defending their racist, groomer scumboy

Okay maybe groomer is going too far but running a discord server full of little boys and acting like their father/prophet/instructor-in the arts of racism is pretty freaking weird

I'm old enough to remember when the right wing actually had too much respect for the military and national secrets

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

E: pre-emptively addressing that shooting down KAL 007 in Soviet restricted airspace and Girkin ordering the shootdown of MH 17 in 2014 are both as fundamentally different situations from each other as they both are from shooting down a manned NATO surveillance plane in international waters because your pilot's a dumbass

they aren't that different, if anything the deaths of servicemembers is more excusable

i know you really want ww3 to happen but this isn't going to be the catalyst, sorry

DiomedesGodshill posted:

he was mostly just taking daily briefings and intelligence digests and leaking those, its the kind of stuff thats normal for a very entry level intelligence community schmuck to have access to. probably it was his job to summarize it for upper leadership. its a bit like asking why a lowly bank teller has access to thousands of dollars, surely all the money would be securely locked in a vault at all times? no, someone actually has to handle the stuff daily. sucks for dipshit though that he absolutely blew up his life for the sake of impressing racist teenagers online lmao

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 13, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't read too many of the replies to this on Twitter if you want to retain any kind of hope for the future of the United States.

Burns
May 10, 2008

This conversation has strong Japanese pearl harbour thinking going on.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Its just a sea of worthless blue ticks

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

they aren't that different, if anything the deaths of servicemembers is more excusable

i know you really want ww3 to happen but this isn't going to be the catalyst, sorry

They are extremely different because one was a civilian jetliner that had a plotting error that took it over Soviet restricted air space in Kamchatka and was shot down as a result after multiple warnings and communication attempts, and the other would have been a military plane acquiring another military plane belonging to a defensive military alliance against the first plane's nation in a radar target lock over international waters and launching a missile that would have destroyed it in an act of war had the missile not malfunctioned.

These are extremely, massively different situations. I don't want World War 3 to happen by any means. But it's not doomposting to be honest and open about the situation as we get the facts in. Go back through anywhere in the Cold War and you'll find that every similar situation to this one was a flashpoint that could have forked into a nuclear exchange had the cards fallen slightly differently. This is no different.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

These are extremely, massively different situations. I don't want World War 3 to happen by any means. But it's not doomposting to be honest and open about the situation as we get the facts in. Go back through anywhere in the Cold War and you'll find that every similar situation to this one was a flashpoint that could have forked into a nuclear exchange had the cards fallen slightly differently. This is no different.

the thing you're missing is that people aren't scripts who inexorably march towards nuclear warfare due to escalating tit-for-tat, it turns out it is in everyone's best interest to not endure a nuclear war and excusing the deaths of a few dozen british soldiers is entirely acceptable, given that we have decades of precedent for flashpoints between nuclear armed nations NOT escalating into a broader conflict

remember in syria when american troops got into an open firefight with "wagner" mercenaries and nothing came of it except a pile of dead russians swept carefully under a big rug? you're being excessively doomer, or bored, or maybe both, i dunno

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

Yes but also not really. Knowing any kind of controlled information isn't just about having a clearance, it's also having a Need To Know. What this guy saw was just a very tiny slice of the bigger picture and was basically the bare minimum he needed to perform his job duties.
Like most likely he's in a position that could be filled by some 22 year old straight out of college.

Hell, what he posted might not have even been stuff he was actually responsible for and may have just came from like, basic workforce wide intelligence briefings that are more or less just FYI/FYSAs to serve as propaganda/a motivational presentation to convince everyone that what they're doing is actually important and time sensitive.

But that's the part that gets me. The leaked documents contained estimates of actual Ukrainian and Russian combat losses, and assessments of the likelihood of a Ukrainian offensive to succeed. There's just no way that a 21 year old air national guardsman would need to know these things. Or anyone else outside of senior military circles, for that matter. Piss poor information security.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the thing you're missing is that people aren't scripts who inexorably march towards nuclear warfare due to escalating tit-for-tat, it turns out it is in everyone's best interest to not endure a nuclear war and excusing the deaths of a few dozen british soldiers is entirely acceptable, given that we have decades of precedent for flashpoints between nuclear armed nations NOT escalating into a broader conflict

remember in syria when american troops got into an open firefight with "wagner" mercenaries and nothing came of it except a pile of dead russians swept carefully under a big rug? you're being excessively doomer, or bored, or maybe both, i dunno

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham

It wasn't swept under the rug, it was specifically pre-cleared with the Russian local command. This is the plausible deniability aspect I was talking about in my D&D thread posts. Wagner is a tool for Russian plausible deniability in force projection and while in realpolitik they are part of the Russian regular armed forces in their function, in public calling Wagner a PMC (in a nation where PMCs are illegal, lol) gives enough plausible deniability to not require a formal recognition of state-on-state hostilities. Clearing the attack on Wagnerites with Russia's local command in Syria to make extremely sure this would not be considered an American attack on Russian uniformed personnel is not the same at all as sweeping it under the rug.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Locator posted:

Don't read too many of the replies to this on Twitter if you want to retain any kind of hope for the future of the United States.

Yeah that account seems to have a following of crazy people.

I already lost all hope for the future of the United States years ago though so no change there.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Philonius posted:

But that's the part that gets me. The leaked documents contained estimates of actual Ukrainian and Russian combat losses, and assessments of the likelihood of a Ukrainian offensive to succeed. There's just no way that a 21 year old air national guardsman would need to know these things. Or anyone else outside of senior military circles, for that matter. Piss poor information security.

This is what bothers me the most, how come some "guardsmen", who I believe is a private or corporal or something, get access to stuff that isn't even closely related to the stuff he is supposed to be doing?

EDIT: In FDF, when I was doing my mandatory tour they didn't give us anything even remotely related to actual stuff, everything was "training-classified". And when doing actual training missions after the mandatory service, it still was "training-classified". So WTF?

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 13, 2023

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Philonius posted:

There is an intelligence group there, and senior military officials, like senior corporate officers, don't have the patience to read the raw reports. Often times they don't even want to read the extended presentations and analysis. So much younger intelligence people are also there making executive summaries. Those guys often have technical issues, and the dipshit leaker was an IT specialist for the intelligence group.

EDIT: If Snowden and this leak prove anything, it's that the IT guys need to have more background checks than the actual spooks and intellegance analysts.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Play posted:

I hadn't paid much attention to bellingcat previously. How did it start?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

I hadn't paid much attention to bellingcat previously. How did it start?

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1361230069088325633?s=20

This is our very own Brown Moses. He was a regular fixture in the Libya threads if I remember right, back in 2011. He was one of the early geolocation open source intelligence people and he honed those skills to prove people wrong on these forums lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holyshit. Way to go Brown Moses!