Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I don’t have a big enough brain to know if any of that logic was correct… glad the rest of the thread more or less remembers who has what personality/powers.

This is gonna be a mess, considering Horse can go all invincible slasher if he wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BassMug posted:

I don’t have a big enough brain to know if any of that logic was correct… glad the rest of the thread more or less remembers who has what personality/powers.

This is gonna be a mess, considering Horse can go all invincible slasher if he wants to.

I'm pretty sure our traitor pair this round is bunny and dog, which means bunny is lying through his teeth here in order to get us to help him eliminate our strongest ally.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Mix. posted:

But that's not enough to say that they definitely would've been more deadly than this. The idea that it's going to be a clean, '6 people live, 6 people die' situation is a fallacy. There's real potential for only 3 people to survive, or even none.

Glad Ox noticed this. Because Dragon saying she guaranteed 6 people would live was prompting an extreme “Well, Actually” reaction from me.

Yes the traitor pair here is:

Bunny (Victorious)
Dog (Defeated)

TeamBunny pretending not to have Victorious is a great play, and gives a good idea how this route is going to play out. I’m betting Tiger dies here (feels like at least one out of Tiger and Horse needs to die for Dragon to stand out) and Bunny’s whole pitch just screams trap. It also feels like the race aspect of the route is basically over, for TeamMouse anyway. TeamMouse could cross the finish line next turn, if they used those 3 trinkets again and someone else used a 4th. They’d just die to Defeated, and there’s absolutely nothing they can do about it.

Feels like everyone made good race moves. Sheep should have used SweetSleep instead but that’s about the only misplay and she doesn’t realise it increases her actions exponentially. Unclear if Rooster boosted someone randomly, or if they were already coordinating with TeamBunny somehow or if they wanted to trick Horse into thinking they were allied. But whatever the reason, it’s a good play for orchestrating a fight between Tiger and Horse (and if TeamDog doesn't know who has Victorious, they still know with certainty that Tiger and Horse cannot both be on their side).

Also for every route where horse murders half the group there’s another route where he immediately gets shot in the head and does absolutely nothing.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Oh dear, so a lot of that logic was pretty flawed, but things are getting interesting.

I expect this cooperative effort to succeed, with Dragon and Bunny turning on Tiger shortly after dealing with Horse. Curious to see when Mouse will have the chance to outsmart their scheme.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Good to know Bunny being a weasel is consistent.

Elite posted:

Unclear if Rooster boosted someone randomly, or if they were already coordinating with TeamBunny somehow or if they wanted to trick Horse into thinking they were allied.

I don't think it matters who Rooster boosted as long as it wasn't his own group; if he boosted Victorious, then that gets Victorious closer to winning. If he boosted someone else, that gets someone else closer to winning, but it doesn't matter since as long as Defeated is in last place when someone wins, then Defeated and Victorious wins if the 9-way tie clause isn't tripped.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 11, 2023

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ahahahaha, Bunny you sneaky-rear end bastard. It's even better if they got Rooster to crow at the other team on purpose, just to support the lie and get our team on board as meatshields.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Incidentally, this makes the fourth route with the Bunny/Dog traitor combo, more than any other so far (and if the theory about the Caw/Sheep's Clothing being required for the 'everyone survives' route is correct, there would be at least one more since finding the Caw makes Brian pick Bunny/Dog for traitors).

So far the traitor pairings and corresponding routes:

Mouse/Rooster - Mouse
Horse/Tiger - Horse, Sheep
Monkey/Pig - Monkey, Pig, Rooster
Snake/Dragon - Snake, Tiger
Bunny/Dog - Bunny, Dog, Ox, Dragon
Ox/Sheep - None?

Funnily enough, this means that Pig is tied with Bunny and Dog for most routes where she gets a traitor role; she gets Desperate on three routes and gets grouped into a traitor pack on this route.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Mix. posted:

The Monkey has RUN one space. Since Horse and Sheep are in the same pack, so do they!

The Rooster has used ENCOURAGING CROW on Sheep. Sheep moves four spaces. Since Horse and Monkey are in the same pack, so do they!

But the picture shows that they moved three spaces, not four. :confused:

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
3+3+3=9 from Mouse Ox Tiger.
3+1+1+4=9 from Horse+Sheep+Monkey+Rooster

So you're right that there should be a tie for first right now. I was wondering why I didn't follow the image correspondence.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:v: I transcribe it like I see it, this one's on Themis. Woops!

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

So you're right that there should be a tie for first right now. I was wondering why I didn't follow the image correspondence.
I had a thought the other day about this. It had something to do with Horse using Steady Gallop, Sheep just simply using RUN and Monkey using Monkey See, Monkey Do on Rooster's Encouraging Crow and then using it on her group. If Rooster used Encouraging Crow on Horse's group again, it would leave them just one space away from the goal (3 from Horse, 1 from Sheep, 4 from Monkey and another 4 from Rooster = 12).

But if the image is wrong and they're supposed to be in the same column as Mouse's group... yikes. They could have EASILY reached the goal next round, assuming Rooster uses Encouraging Crow on Horse's group and there's a very high chance he will do just that since Dog has the DEFEATED personality.

Rooster's group is in a very, very strong position right now.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I'm not sure how everyone except the Defeated team doesn't just keel over (I think the Victorious team HAS to be in first place not to die?) if nobody kills them, yeah. They have no real way of being forced to moved, the guy who can do that is uh, on that team.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Marluxia posted:

I'm not sure how everyone except the Defeated team doesn't just keel over (I think the Victorious team HAS to be in first place not to die?) if nobody kills them, yeah. They have no real way of being forced to moved, the guy who can do that is uh, on that team.

It’s possible for players to move backwards. Mouses ability in the 2nd post says she copies movement and *direction* when she SneakyRides another player, but we’ve never seen the copying backwards movement come up in play.

A literal interpretation of Ox’s Stampede means he should also move back in this scenario. MouseOxTiger are in first place so moving to 1 tile behind first effectively moves them back 1.

Tiger can jump backwards if the river behind is closer than the river ahead. (Unclear what happens when they’re both equal distances apart.)

Therefore:

Mouse - SneakyRide:Tiger
Ox - Stampede. (Back 1)
Tiger - Dive (Back 3)
SneakyRide triggers (Back 3)

Is 7 tiles of backwards movement. Swinging TeamMouse into last place. It would put them on tile 5, where TeamDog is currently. But TeamDog would probably EncouragingCrow/Run/Run so would move forward 2 and end on tile 7.

It’s just TeamMouse dies if they aren’t first so it doesn’t accomplish much. Well it fucks over TeamDog super hard if it catches them off guard. Maybe it could be a bad end.

The extreme comedy option would be TeamMouse doing that on round 5. Whilst TeamDragon and TeamHorse rush across the board.

Then in Round6 Dog misreads his own ability, tries to rabid leap over TeamMouse behind them to retake last place... but in the interim TeamMouse has used SneakyRide:Ox and Stampede to rush forward 30 tiles. So Dog ends up rabid leaping 24 tiles forward and killing his whole team.

Elite fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 12, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Dance of the Snakes]

Bunny showed us to a fairly small looking room.

Dragon's hiding in there. So if Horse shows up, lead him in there.

Should we go update her on the plan?

I'd like to, but...

Bunny looked nervously at the nearby staircase.

It'd really suck if she revealed her hiding spot and Horse walked in on us.

Still, not informing her could lead to some potentially dangerous confusion.

Okay, how about this then?

[BGM: Silence]

Bunny looked around once more, then quickly opened the door.

Dragon, Mouse's pack is working with us don't kill them ok thanks bye!

Just like that he slammed the door shut.

That should take care of that.

Uh, well, I guess so.

I'll hide in a nearby room, then run in when the assault happens.

Why aren't you hiding in that room as well?

I don't know how well you can tell by just looking in the window, but that room's pretty small. There aren't two spaces to hide, and if Horse saw me, he'd realize this was an ambush.

And you're sure you're not using this as an excuse to run away when the fight started and leave the hard work to Dragon and Tiger?

Of course not! If I did that, and Horse won, I'd stand no chance on my own. It's a dumb move no matter how you look at it.

Jeez Ox, why do you have to be such a buzzkill all the time? Just trust Bunny, he's not the type to pull something shady off.

:allears:

Okay.

Great! I imagine Horse is going to start looking for others, so just, uh, patrol around this floor. You'll run into him soon.

I believe in you!

With those inspiring(?) words, Bunny hid in the nearby room. Leaving us to lure out a huge, muscular guy into an ambush. Not exactly a fun situation, but we didn't have many choices.

So... what now?

I suspect Bunny's analysis is right. From what I got of Horse's character, it would not surprise me if he begins to proactively look for opponents soon.

You sure about that?

If he were smart, he would have no need to. It's easier to attack than defend, and with Sheep and Monkey's help he's in a good position to win the race. But that doesn't seem like Horse's style. I would guess that any minute... he'll...

...Ox?

Behind you.

I did, indeed, turn around behind me, and sure enough, Horse was standing there. Except...

[BGM: Metal Horse]

What's that on his face?

A skull mask?

Who cares about that, its time to fight!! Hey! Horse!! Get your rear end over here, and let's settle this!

Instead of answering, Horse began to pick up speed as he approached us. It wasn't long before he was in a full sprint.

Uh, guys?

Quickly, in here!

Ox yanked my arm and brought me into the ambush room. Tiger followed after us. Entering, I looked for where Dragon would be hiding. But I didn't see any hiding spots that jumped out at me. Instead... the eye-catching thing was the stack of rags right in the corner next to the entrance. It was a surprisingly high pile, and they were covered in... is that grease? Oil?

I suddenly got a bad feeling.

Ox, we should–

Before I could finish my statement, Horse came barrelling in after us.

My, what cramped quarters you've chosen for our duel! If this is what you want your coffin to be, have at it!

Horse leapt forwards at Tiger, who knocked him back. But before that fight started in earnest, someone opened the door. ...Dragon?

Sorry, but this is how you fight a war.

With that, she held out a silver lighter with a Red Dragon emblem. She lit a rag and threw it onto the nearby stack. Then she slammed the door.

NO!!!

Ox, what is she doing?

She's using us as sacrifices. We're now trapped in a burning room.

The stack was burning at an incredible rate, already a full fire.

This room's pretty small. It'll be filled with smoke in no time, and we'll choke to death.

Ha! They think this can close me in?

Through the window, I saw Bunny and Dragon blocking the door with a trophy case. The two were pushing it from the other side, keeping us in.

Take this!

Horse slammed on the door, hard. There was a bit of leeway, but the barrier held surprisingly well.

Tch. Fine, let's try this.

He slammed his fist through the glass window of the door. He began to reach out, grasping at things outside. But all of a sudden, he let out a cry.

AAAAAGAHRGHGH!!

He reeled in pain and then fell limply to the ground.

What just happened?!

He's unconscious, maybe dead.

What?! Why??

How should I know? That's not important right now!

We've gotta get out of here.

I know that, the question is how?

First off, help me get Horse's body out of the way.

Ox and I tried to drag the corpse, but Tiger ended up doing most of the lifting. The path to the door was now clear. The amount of smoke had reached a point where I had to stay low. The fire was already spreading. Tiger tried pushing on the door, and while it did get pushed slightly open, it was soon pushed back in place. It was hard to tell, but I could guess all the members of Dragon's pack were doing their best to shut us in.

Dang it! What should I do?!

Tiger was clearly getting frustrated. There was no telling what might happen if I just let her do whatever. I needed to help out.

So, obviously there's a right and a wrong choice here :v: It should also be pretty obvious what we SHOULDN'T tell Tiger to do here – if she tries to reach through the window like Horse did, she'll most likely have what happened to him happen to her, which is bad. Therefore...

Tiger, try knocking the door right off its hinges!

How will that clear a path?

Just do it!

There was no time to discuss. If we spent any more time in here, there was a serious danger of one of us dropping dead. Tiger began kicking the door near its hinges. With a few solid blows, the hinges came off.

Now, push the top of it!

Tiger obliged, pushing the top of the door. It came down on top of the trophy case, and Dragon's attempts to block the doorway were ineffective. The wide opening let plenty of smoke out. It also gave Tiger an opportunity. She took two steps back, then rushed forwards and leapt through the opening. Desperate to escape the crisis, Ox and I followed suit.

And like that, we had narrowly escaped the burning classroom with our lives. It was frankly a miracle – we were almost killed. Dragon almost killed us. Completely betrayed.

That group, Dragon, Snake, and Bunny, stood before us in the hall. Dragon was holding some loose piping she had gotten from who knows where. Bunny had a bat in his hand. Snake, on the other hand, was just holding a syringe. ...A syringe? He must have found some poison from the chemistry lab. Still, it didn't seem like a particularly good fighting weapon.

You jerks! What was that about?!

Simple. We wanted to kill two birds with one stone. It's your fault for believing us so easily.

Horse's group isn't the one with the 'victorious' personality. Hers is.

Dragon did nothing but smirk at this.

You think you can kill me off, just like that? You're not going to *cough cough* get away with *cough* this!

I looked nervously to Tiger. It was clear that the struggle with the door and the smoke had weakened her.

Heh. You want to settle this here and now? I'm game.

Dragon started to approach her, but Snake called out.

Dragon, wait!

God, what is it dude? Tiger's weakened! We're not going to get a better opportunity than this!

Perhaps, but it's still not going to be an easy fight. It'll injure us and leave us easy targets to the vultures.

Vultures?

Examine the situation carefully.

Dragon closed her eyes, lost in thought for a moment. When she opened them, she was in a much calmer state.

Fine. We'll settle this later.

And just like that, Dragon turned around and started walking away. Snake and Bunny followed her.

Hey! Where do you think you're going! You think we'll let you get away *cough* that easily?

Tiger, calm down. You're in no position to fight right now. And unfortunately, the two of us won't be much help. Let's retreat for now.

Grr... ...Fine.

Tiger looked sullen, but she turned around and made her way to the nearby stairwell. Ox and I followed her, but as we went down the hallway we saw people running away at the end of another hallway.

Hey, who was that?

Probably Rooster, Pig, and Dog. I imagine this is what Snake meant when he referred to 'vultures'. They might've opportunistically looked to take down the winner of the fight they heard.

Wait, does that make sense? Pig's pack should be working with Dragon's, right?

Maybe, but I don't know if Pig's pack knows that yet.

What are you two talking for? Let's get a move on.

Right. Let's.

We weakly made our way back to the cafeteria. The incident left us with low spirits and low energy. After all, we were utterly betrayed, and we saw Horse die.

I just realized. If Dragon's pack has the 'victorious' personality, Horse's group was actually on our side. gently caress.

So he died for nothing?

Dragon was right. It was nothing short of full-blown idiocy for us to just accept the fact that they didn't have the 'victorious' personality without proof. Some form of Bunny's convincing performance and my own poor-thinking brain. It's... entirely my fault.

Why?

I was supposed to catch things like that.

What, so it's just your responsibility to do the thinking around here?

No, I didn't mean–

Because as far as I see it, Tiger and I fell for it just as much as you did. So unless you think you're smarter than us, I don't see how you can say that 'you're supposed to catch things like that'.

[BGM: Lamb to the Slaughter]

You're right. I'm sorry. I'm just... frustrated.

We all are. But let's change that frustration into something useful. Because sitting around here and lamenting the past is going to do absolutely gently caress all for us.

That's the spirit, Mouse! Let's find a way to kick Dragon's rear end and survive together!

Just then, we noticed two figures entering the cafeteria.

Um... Mouse? Ox, Tiger? Can we talk?

I believe we have much to discuss.

Sure, come right in.

Mouse, are you sure?

What's there to question? They're on our side.

But do they know that?

We do. We weren't far from Horse when he chased after you. We kept our distance, for safety reasons, but we saw a lot of what was happening.

Jeez, how many spectators were just hiding on the sidelines when we were burning to death?

S-Sorry, we just thought that even if we tried to help, we'd just get knocked away by Dragon or Bunny.

That's probably correct.

Afterwards, we checked on Horse, and he w-was... he was...

Sheep wasn't able to finish her statement. She didn't need to.

I'm sorry, Sheep. We didn't know... well, we thought it was him or us.

We aren't here to pass judgment on you. You must grapple with what has happened on your own.

Then why are you here?

Are you here to join the fight?

In a way, but not how you think.

Huh?

Um... Did you guys... er, th-think about what would happen after Horse died?

...What do you mean?

Let me put it simply. Horse is in a state where he will be unable to input actions on his tablet. If he doesn't input an action this round, he will be executed.

And if anyone other than him uses his tablet, he will be executed. Even his partners can't use it.

Wait, but that means...

With these new rules, when one member of a pack is executed, the whole is executed. To put it simply... Sheep and I are dead women walking.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Mix. posted:

Let me put it simply. Horse is in a state where he will be unable to input actions on his tablet. If he doesn't input an action this round, he will be executed.

And if anyone other than him uses his tablet, he will be executed. Even his partners can't use it.

Mix. posted:

Before continuing, I think it would be pertinent to address a certain rule you all will likely find important. Each tablet may only be operated by its owner. Additionally, the owner must be alone in a room when using it.

If you operate your tablet with another person in the room, or if someone else operates your tablet, you will be instantly executed.

While there seems to be plenty of rules that surround actions around this situation, there doesn't seem to be a rule against directly manipulating the dead body of the contestant to input an action while everyone else is outside the room! :eng101: It's pedantic as all hell and absurd on the same level as Danganronpa/Umineko logic, but if this trinket really means that disabling one member *or* tablet on a team renders that team dead people walking, this entire path is even sillier than Themis thinks it is.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Wait, what? I thought in at least one of the endings the group were able to use the tablets of the departed to end up at the finish line together with no adverse effects.

In fact, I was looking through the other routes and I found this on Bunny's route:

quote:

The rest of the race went by quickly. We used the Minor Trinkets to race towards the end. It would've been close if just the three of us used Trinkets. However, we operated the dead people's tablets and had them use Trinkets as well. It took 3 rounds to reach the finish line.
:psyduck:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

operating the tablet of a dead person activates their collar. which would immediately trigger the collars of the living packmates. they don't stop being a packmate once they're dead :v:

they can and have used dead people's tablets before! its only this specific route where that impacts the living people directly.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Well, poo poo. And this entire party is made up of fairly weak fighters, and one weakened Tiger. And a protagonist, but still. Yikes!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Look, it's not them operating the *tablet*, it's them operating Horse who is then operating the tablet, which is a completely distinct workflow! Adding pointless layers of abstraction to fulfill requirements is how like 60% of how value-add cloud services operate nowadays! :colbert:

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
So... We're now in a situation where it's mathematically probable that only 3 people walk out alive, the logistics of how everyone interacts with each other competitively has already sparked complex thinking from others in the thread, and now we have to figure out some crazy Rube Goldberg method of getting Horse to input an action so that he doesn't drag Sheep and Monkey to the grave with him... Yeah, definitely the "simple 6 vs 6 gang war" that Dragon wanted! :dumbbravo:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

To be fair, if bunny and snake had actually properly done that barricade it would have been very simple as they would have literally killed the entire opposition in one attack.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah outside of some very weird trick to use Horse's tablet without anyone being in the room, Monkey and Sheep are dead. Even if they found a way to get all five of them across the finish line this round, 1. they still can't stop Defeated from being in last place and 2. Brian doesn't announce a win til everyone has finished moving, which means Horse's collar will trip and kill them before a win has been announced.

The good news is that Mouse/Ox/Tiger can cross the finish line this round, via use of Minor Trinkets and Monkey copying Encouraging Crow to send them across. The bad news is that they still need to figure out a way to stop Defeated from staying in last. They're too far behind that even if Monkey/Sheep don't move at all (by using their abilities), Rooster/Dog/Pig won't catch up via a double Run. They'd need to somehow convince Dog or Pig to use their abilities to do it.

EDIT: Actually, the gambit could be to convince Rooster to Encouraging Crow the Mouse/Ox/Tiger pack to send them to the finish. And then Monkey would copy Encouraging Crow to boost Rooster/Dog/Pig out of last place. Unless Bunny Hops, Bunny/Snake/Dragon wouldn't be able to catch up.

Also, I'm not keen on the route just having Horse go nuts (with no real reason to, nobody's dead yet), and Snake having a syringe + poison when the weapons cache hasn't been found on this route. 'oh, he must have found poison in the chemistry lab' just feels like a copout.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 13, 2023

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Let's set aside the Rube Goldberg solutions.

Since Mouse has to survive, and since Horse/Sheep/Monkey are goners, we only have to worry about getting to the end w/o having Rooster/Dog/Pig in last place.

Let's win this round.

Mouse, Ox, Tiger, and Sheep can 4x minor trinket Mouse/Ox/Tiger to the end. Monkey can use her ability to force Rooster/Dog/Pig in front of Bunny/Dragon/Snake.
Or with some trickery, Mouse, Ox, and Tiger can 3x minor trinket and be Rooster-boosted to the end. Like before, Monkey can use her ability to force Rooster/Dog/Pig in front of Bunny/Dragon/Snake.

EDIT: We think alike!

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

dervival posted:

Look, it's not them operating the *tablet*, it's them operating Horse who is then operating the tablet, which is a completely distinct workflow!

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Let's set aside the Rube Goldberg solutions.
Wait, wait, wait! Let's combine those two!

Let's make a complicated Rube Goldberg solution that will have Horse tap the command even if he's dead with no one else in the room.

All we have is... 45 minutes to come up with a Rube Goldberg solution and ensuring that it works 100% of the time!

We can do it!! :allears:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Sketchie posted:

Wait, wait, wait! Let's combine those two!

Let's make a complicated Rube Goldberg solution that will have Horse tap the command even if he's dead with no one else in the room.

All we have is... 45 minutes to come up with a Rube Goldberg solution and ensuring that it works 100% of the time!

We can do it!! :allears:

Pity Snake's on the other team, he's great at making locked room solutions in a pinch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

mycelia posted:

Pity Snake's on the other team, he's great at making locked room solutions in a pinch.

Just give Sheep an ice cube and she'll figure it out.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

tell Rooster that Horse is just playing dead because Ox told him to and needs some encouragement to look alive, it doesn't even matter that he's on an enemy team

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I realize that characters get a bit of plot armor on their own route, but it's still funny to see Horse go from an implacable murder machine who effortlessly outsmarts almost the entire group to a raging idiot who immediately gets trapped in a burning room and poisoned.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

To be fair, without the insta kill poison he probably would have bludgeoned them to death out of the fire trap. The only off thing is his partners not holding him back until they figure out who their friends are.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I get increasingly dissatisfied with how Horse gets treated. He has his fun moments, but most of the time he's either a plot device or does nothing and gets randomly killed. Actually, let's see, on each route:

Mouse: goes crazy, gets shot to death
Ox: does nothing really, lives!
Tiger: does nothing really, lives!
Bunny: does nothing really, dies via prayer
Snake: does nothing really, lives!
Dragon: goes masked, gets poisoned to death
Horse: goes crazy, gets tricked then shot to death
Sheep: gets surprised shot to death
Monkey: goes masked and kills Tiger, then gets shot to death
Rooster: gets shot to death
Dog: gets tamed and then executed
Pig: does nothing really, lives!

So he survives on 4/12 routes. Of his 8 death routes, he goes 'mwahaha!' with his mask on for 4 of them, is pretty much off-screened for Sheep and Rooster, and barely does anything til his death on Bunny's route. Outside of his own route, he gets the most involvement as a totally-in-control person for Dog's route.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Mix. posted:

God, what is it dude? Tiger's weakened! We're not going to get a better opportunity than this!

Perhaps, but it's still not going to be an easy fight. It'll injure us and leave us easy targets to the vultures.

Backing off here seems kind of dumb.

It should be completely obvious to TeamDragon that TeamDog has Defeated.

There’s some information asymmetry so maybe TeamDog doesn’t realise that TeamDragon has Victorious. But it seems like a pretty easy argument to make: “We just killed Horse and Tiger, condemning 2 teams to death. It’s obvious that you have Defeated so if we’re picking a fight with 2 teams then we must have Victorious”.

Sure there are risks to fighting, but IMO the risks of retreating are greater.
-Tiger is a serious physical threat, and this might be the only opportunity to finish her off whilst she’s weakened. Certainly they won’t be able to lure her into this kind of trap again.
-The race is heavily stacked in TeamDog’s favour so they are disincentivized from fighting since they don’t need to kill people to win.
-The other players (Sheep, Monkey) aren’t a direct physical threat, at least when it doesn’t seem like any guns are available.

I guess the counter arguments are:
-If any member of TeamDragon dies, the others will be condemned to execution due to the dead person being unable to operate their tablet. A weakened Tiger might not be able to beat Dragon and Bunny... but she might be able to kamikaze Snake to death before she succumbs herself.
-Horse is dead so Sheep and Monkey are doomed to execution, whilst TeamDog should gradually realise they’re on the same side as TeamDragon. So given time the traitors will have a 6-3 numbers advantage.

The game pointing out “we’re doomed to die since our dead teammate can’t operate their tablet” is a rules application that I didn’t immediately realise and means this route could have played out quite differently. Dragon doesn’t actually need to kill Horse - they can kill Sheep or Monkey then run away for 45 minutes until Horse gets executed. And whilst TeamDragon doesn’t have the strongest combatants they do have the most combatants, so they have the greatest ability to lure away a strong combatant and strike at a pack’s weaker members. That would’ve been a way to fight around him, rather than him doing nothing and dying immediately. Again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It makes sense though - Horse is aloof and keeps to himself. He's also not that great with strategy or puzzle solving, and is the most physically imposing by a large margin.

From a writing perspective, he's important because if he catches wind that someone is a traitor, he will kill them. You can't do physical combat without a plan for mitigating Horse. But his general lack of engagement with puzzles and strategy, combined with his taciturn nature means that he's just not going to have much presence most of the time. He's an obstacle more than a character to be interacted with, and that's fine.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I think we need to remember this as an additional complication: Bunny and Dog know each other, and do not like each other. Even if they know the other group is the traitor group, they can't discount a backstab fueled by personal animosity and paranoia. We saw in Bunny's own route how quick he was to throw Dog to the wolves when things started looking bad for him.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

content warning: suicidal ideation, emetophobia

[BGM: A True Foal]

No!

If you kill one member of a pack, you effectively kill the group...

That can't be right! You guys haven't done anything wrong. To die like this, it's unfair!

Life's unfair.

You two can't seriously be okay with this, can you?

I can't speak for Sheep. However, I have spent much of my life coming to terms with my own mortality and limitations.

It is... unfortunate that my spiritual journey must come to an end here. But... on the whole, I am at peace. Faced with the inevitable, I am able to feel some sense of tranquility.

I really, really, really don't want to die!

But... maybe it's right that I do. So long as I'm a victim, then...

...Forget it. I can't do anything about it, so I have no choice but to accept it.

Sheep. Monkey. I felt tears welling to my eyes. These two did nothing wrong, and yet they'd end up like this? I had no idea how they were taking things so well.

So, did you come here just to tell us that you were going to die?

Ox!

No. I want to avenge Horse. So... for our last round, I wanted to ask if there's any thing we could do to help.

Using my ability, I can move your group four spaces forward. With that, maybe you can win the race.

Assuming Dragon doesn't kill you guys first.

Assuming.

They were offering to help.

I appreciate your help Monkey, I really do. However, could I ask you to use your ability on Pig's pack?

Pig's pack?

They want to come in last place. We're already set to win the race if we keep up at the pace we're going. Even if other groups use Minor Trinkets, they'll just speed us up. The problem is if the 'defeated' pack comes in very last.

There are two ways to prevent that. One, we could steal the tablets from the 'defeated' pack members and forcibly make them move quicker. Or two, we push them past one of the other packs.

Two of them have to move one space every turn. If we combine it with Monkey copying Rooster's ability, we can push them past Dragon's group.

Good thinking, Mouse. However, we should think about some backup plans.

Backup plans?

it's still–

Just then, I heard the sound of a pin dropping.

*bwam!*

And then, blindness. The world was white. My head was spinning, ears ringing. I was in a dazed state, but I was able to put together one clear thought: Was that a loving flashbang?! Where in the world did that come from?! I couldn't just stay still. I didn't know what to do, so I just sort of flailed my body in random directions, hoping to scare people off. Then, as I started to come to, I realized what was happening.

[BGM: Fire Breath]

All over the cafeteria, Bunny, Snake, Dragon, Rooster, Pig, and Dog were all assaulting our group. I immediately noticed Snake, holding a scalpel, rushing me. gently caress! I dodged away from him, and started to put as much distance between me and him that I could. Ox seemingly wasn't actually targeted by anyone. ...Sheep, however...

Sorry about this.

AAAIGH!

Dog plunged a bladed weapon right into Sheep's chest, close-range. Sheep! I knew she was going to die any ways, but to end up like that! It was horrible. Dog, you rear end in a top hat!

But Dog wasn't the only one ambushing us. Rooster grabbed at Monkey, trying to pin her down. However, through an act of seemingly good luck, Monkey was somehow able to slip out of Rooster's grapple. Immediately, she started sprinting down the hall. Rooster chased after her.

The biggest fight, however, was Bunny and Dragon attacking Tiger. Tiger was still affected by the flashbang, but even still, her wild swinging was keeping the two at bay. However, she was definitely losing the fight.

Alright, enough playing around.

Dragon pulled out a knife with her left hand.

Time to eat dirt, shitface!

Dragon charged at Tiger, and swung down on her with the knife. However, luckily, Tiger caught Dragon's wrist.

Ha! What a laugh!

You want to know what happened to the last crazy bitch who came at me with a knife?

Not really.

Dragon dropped the knife to her right hand, then stabbed down at Tiger's shoulderblade. She landed a solid gash, and Tiger cried out in pain. Using the momentum, Dragon slashed at Tiger again. Tiger moved out of the way, but it still nicked her side. Tiger was pissed. She screamed out, and began swinging wildly.

I'll loving kill you!!

Tiger, quit it!

She seemed to pause a moment when I said it.

You're too injured! We need to retreat!

I–

Just then, Bunny ran in with a knife of his own. Tiger knocked him away, but got her arm cut in the process. She cried out, then grimaced.

Fine!

She ran over to me. This sight caused Snake to promptly stop his pursuit. Ox also ran over towards me. The three of us ran together, retreating until we were safe in a different nearby room. Then we sat down, held our breath, and hoped the others wouldn't see where we were.

[BGM: Bullfighter]

After a bit, it became clear that we weren't being chased. Thank God for that. We were in a wrecked state.

What the hell was that?! How did someone get a flashbang?

How should I know? I don't even know how Brian would get his hands on that.

Honestly, all things considered, that didn't go as bad as it could have. Sheep's brutal murder aside, the rest of us got out alive. Tiger was deeply injured, though, which was a serious drawback. She tried to bandage her wounds with pieces of her own shirt as much as she could, but she was clearly still injured. In a full-on fight, Dragon or Bunny both had real shots at taking her down now. Things were looking grim.

poo poo. What are we going to do now?

I don't know. But it's unlikely we'll be able to win just by participating in the race. We're going to need to take their tablets.

And how are we going to do that? Bunny, Dragon, Snake, Rooster, Pig, Dog. They're all a united front at this point. Meanwhile, it's just the three of us against them. It makes me wonder...

There are six of them. There's three of us. Was it... was it right to fight this? Sure, I was angry for them for what they did. But at this point, twice as many people could live if we just let them work together. If we just sat down and died...

Okay, well, it should be REALLY obvious what the right choice here is. :v:

No. I wasn't going to just lie down and let them kill me. They were the ones who made it a turf war, didn't they? Dragon was the one who started this stupid thing, the one who locked us in a burning room. Snake poisoned Horse to death. Bunny lied to all of us. Dog's pack allied with her, and Dog stabbed Sheep to death. They didn't get to just do horrible things, then have innocent people roll over because they were outnumbered. It wasn't right!

I shouldn't have to give up on living just because more people might live. I didn't know any of those other people. And from what I'd seen, they all appeared to be assholes willing to do whatever to survive. I wasn't going to roll over. Not today.

We can't give up.

Uh, yeah, no one was suggesting that we should.

Good, because I'm not.

Good, because we're not.

Good.

...So, uh, do you have a... a point to this, or–

Here's the plan!

Step one, we split up into different rooms and input our actions for this round. Step two, we look for the others. Step three, we kick their asses!

Okay but how?

I don't know, you figure it out.

Okay, so we don't have a plan.

...Whatever, you're right in that we need to act this round again. Let's try to use the three Trinkets again. That should put us very close to the finish line. I saw Monkey get away, hopefully she'll do what we told her to before dying.

Harsh.

I'm being pragmatic. Tiger, you stay here for now and heal. We need you to be up and able as soon as possible, so try to recover as fast as you can.

Despite the ridiculous request, Tiger nodded determinedly. I... assume she then started to concentrate really hard on healing herself. Ox and I split up into different classrooms and input our actions. This would put us close to the finish line, but we weren't done yet. We then met up outside the classrooms.

So, what do we do now?

Well, like you said, we should scout around. Surprisingly enough, I think the victorious-defeated alliance has to be on the offense.

How so?

With Monkey's push and both Dog and Pig needing to move at least once space a turn, it's actually going to be somewhat difficult for the defeated pack to guaranteed come in last. Especially if we run interference. I can think of a few plans we could try to make sure they don't come in last.

What are the plans?

Doesn't matter. Because to stop us from doing them, they're probably going to try and prevent us. Right now, they might just be looking for us.

If I was them, I'd have everyone split up and act as scouts. They'd find where we're hiding, then run back to base and report it.

Oh! So if we be really quiet...

We might be able to ambush a scout.

That's great! ...Wait, but we don't have any weapons.

The cafeteria should have knives, right? Let's each grab a knife from there.

Okay.

Like Ox suggested, we went over to the cafeteria and grabbed two sharp kitchen knives. One for each of us. They weren't the best of weapons, but they'd be suitable for self-defense. Wait... was this self-defense? No, now wasn't the time to get caught up in the moral quandaries of it all. I already worked up the determination to survive.

Everything after that... Time passed, the round ended. We were well into Round 6 when I ran into the first enemy.

Ox and I had already begun our silent prowl around the school a while ago. We moved silently, in tandem. We decided to stay on the first floor. That was where they'd probably look for us, after all. The idea that someone would be coming for us was a long shot. As time dragged on, I became more and more skeptical that it would actually happen. But after a while, I suddenly came across a figure.

Rooster!

As soon as he spotted me, I rushed towards him and covered his mouth. He started to struggle against me, but before either of us knew what had happened, Ox had stabbed him from behind. Rooster's eyes shot open, but I had to keep covering his mouth to prevent him from alerting anyone nearby. But...

Having someone die right in front of you felt disgusting. Horrifying, even. ...Eventually, Rooster stopped moving. He was just a corpse, leaning against my hands. I pushed him over, and he dropped to the floor. ...And I promptly walked over to a nearby room and threw up. Nope, nope, I'm not cool with this. Even if I wasn't the one who stabbed him, I was responsible for killing another human being. Rooster. He wasn't the best person, but he didn't deserve...

Mouse, are you okay?

I'm fine, I just... ...I need a minute.

Ox's face also seemed slightly flushed, however, he was holding things together relatively well. Was he seriously not disgusted by this? ...No, he was just holding it together better. Rooster was trying to find us so his group could murder us. I didn't need to feel bad about this. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

After calming down, I walked back out into the hallway.

[BGM: Stampede of Truth]

Better now?

...I guess.

Come on, let's move his body to the cafeteria.

What? Why?

Do you want it just lying in the middle of the hallway?

Dragging a body's a lot more work than it looks like. Luckily, Ox and I split the workload. Each of us grabbed a leg, and we dragged him over to the cafeteria. There, we met with Tiger, who had recovered somewhat and was keeping the cafeteria on lockdown.

Hey, you guys are back. Wait, is that...?

...Yeah.

Wow. That's, uh... good work?

You don't need to try and make us feel better about this. Let's just focus on making the most of this.

Well, at least we've got his tablet now, right? That means we can use his ability, which should be useful.

We now had six tablets. Our pack obviously had the three we had started with. Sheep had grabbed Horse's tablet off his body. We had collected Sheep and Horse's tablet off her corpse. And now we had Rooster's.

We can move people four spaces at a time. It'll be great for preventing Dog's pack from coming in last.

That's not the problem here. We could already prevent Dog's pack from being last.

The real benefit was killing someone from the defeated pack. That means that we can instantly execute Dog and Pig by using this tablet, since it would be someone other than Rooster using it.

Dang, instant execution? They really shouldn't have split up like that.

They didn't expect us to be waiting for them. The plan was likely to spot our group, then report back.

So what, are we just going to kill Dog and Pig now?

It's unfortunate, but now it's war.

What else are we going to do?

But wait, won't that be a huge problem for us?

Huh?

If that happens, Dragon's pack will realize what happened. They probably know where Rooster was scouting, and they'll know we were prepared for him. Those three will probably come down as a group, armed to the teeth with weapons, looking to kill us on first sight.

Obviously that's not good. However, it was always going to come to that.

But if it comes to that, I don't think we win. If Tiger was better, then we might stand a chance. But she's still in no fighting shape.

Hey, I can still rumble!

Tiger tried pumping her arm up in encouragement, but instantly recoiled. No, she definitely wasn't able to 'rumble'. The only reason she wasn't already on the floor was pure adrenaline.

Snake isn't exactly a scary fighter, but Dragon's clearly experienced with combat, and Bunny's a literal cop. Ox is far from an intimidating fighter, and I'm still a girl in college. If it's a straight-up brawl, we lose.

So what are you suggesting?

I don't know, I'm just saying we should think about things while we still have the initiative. Right now, we control how this battle's going to continue. We should use that.

Man, if only we could get Dog to try fighting Snake. I bet Dog could take Snake.

Well, Dog's already lost. If he's going to die anyways, maybe we could convince him to side with us.

I don't think so, he's too...

Ox trailed off, instantly struck by a thought.

Oh, this is going to be good.

What is?

Ox. He's had an idea. I bet it's going to turn things around.

Oh! That's great. What's the idea, Ox?

Hold on, let him ride it out. These things don't come fully baked.

Okay, okay, I have an idea.

Yeah, we know.

Huh?

He wasn't listening to us. Ox, what's your idea?

Ok, well, this might sound really dumb, but hear me out.

Sure thing.

Why don't we try holding Rooster hostage?

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Mouse really said “let him cook”

Jokes aside, I dunno about this plan.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Some funny moments there.

But it kinda seems like Dog killed the one person who didn’t matter. He kills Mouse/Ox/Tiger/Monkey and then he’s basically guaranteed to win. Killing Sheep doesn’t do anything.

Then after that Mouse+Ox kill the guy that matters most. Simultaneously picking up the main counter to Defeated and death sentencing an enemy team.

Also if Ox is assuming that Monkey boosts TeamDog 4 spaces forwards, then coming up with a complicated plan isn’t necessary. Monkey boosts TeamDog out of last, MouseOxTiger all minor trinket giving them 9 movement + use Rooster’s encouraging crow on themselves right at the end of the round for 13 movement that round and they only needed 12 to reach the finish and win. Okay they’d need to hide until the end of the round to avoid getting murdered but they kinda need to do that anyway.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
The fight didn't change much, but it did show yet another moment of Rooster trying to "kill" Monkey while actually letting her escape to safety.

quote:

Everything after that... Time passed, the round ended. We were well into Round 6 when I ran into the first enemy.

So with Round 5 resolved, where is everyone now? Did Monkey succeed in Rooster boosting? Did Rooster counter by boosting Dragon's group instead of boosting Mouse's? Was Monkey executed?

Since Mouse, Ox, and Tiger all minor trinketed and didn't instantly explode from winning the race too soon, my interpretation is that they should be like this:

MOT: 12 -> 21 (trinket x3)
BDS: 6 -> 13 (run x3 + rooster boost)
HSM: 11 (though it should have been 12) -> 11
RDP: 5 -> 11 (run x2 + monkey boost)

Mouse's group will trivially make it to the end outside of interesting Dive shenanigans. They can force RDP out of last by rooster boosting, but whoever controls Monkey's tablet can threaten to put RDP back into last place (i.e., an everyone dies ending).

Bunny, Dragon, and Snake's only hope is to kill Mouse, Ox, and Tiger this round before they decide to input moves. I'd say it's pretty hopeless for them. Ox doesn't need to get fancy with a Rooster hostage situation. It's better to convince weak-minded Pig to let their group escape alive.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This route feels really appropriate to the 'final' route before we get started on (presumably) the golden path.

Everything's going to hell fast and near-complete chaos has taken over. This feels right to be our final route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The concern might be Monkey's tablet. Presumably she's dead and her tablet is up for grabs, Dog or Pig could use it to copy Rooster and boost Dragon's group back up past them.

Also with the flashbang also in play, along with the syringe that Snake had, I guess the assumption is that Dragon's group found the weapon cache at some point? That would make them really dangerous, Dragon could just gun down everyone with the sniper rifle.

Also,

Mix. posted:

You want to know what happened to the last crazy bitch who came at me with a knife?

Tiger that's your mom.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 15, 2023